LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Lemon water -- fatigue?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Lemon water -- fatigue?
LightAtTheEnd
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 24065

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LightAtTheEnd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is the third day since I started making lemonade with the juice of a whole organic lemon (fresh squeezed), 2 cups of club soda, and 40 drops of liquid stevia. I drank it in the morning, and again around lunch.

All three days I have gotten fatigue and a slight hint of vertigo within an hour of drinking the first glass. Today I waited until noon to drink it the first time, and my fatigue didn't start until 1pm.

It could be a random symptom flare, but I just had my main flare over the weekend, and it went away a couple days before this. I got suspicious about the lemonade when the fatigue started to lift in the evening.

When it is a symptom flare, I usually get the fatigue late in the afternoon, and it stays the same or gets worse until I go to bed and sleep.

Questions:

1. What is the lemon water supposed to do, exactly?

2. Has it made anyone else feel this way? As an effect, or some kind of herx?

3. Are the stevia and club soda good, bad or neutral?

4. Is it a good or bad sign? Should I drink more of it? Should I do something along with it to counteract the fatigue?

I started drinking this to help me feel better through "detox," and because I wanted a healthy substitute for soft drinks. It's great as a beverage.

Maybe I should just drink it at night and not when I'm at work. Or it could be an effect that will quit in a few days when I get used to it. Or maybe the fatigue is not related to the lemonade at all.

I am a bit worried about whether it is just provoking toxins to come out and circulate for a few hours and then be reabsorbed.

Good grief, how do we ever get all this stuff figured out?

--------------------
Don't forget to laugh! And when you're going through hell, keep going!

Bitten 5/25/2009 in Perry County, Indiana. Diagnosed by LLMD 12/2/2009.

Posts: 756 | From Inside the tunnel | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
map1131
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 2022

Icon 1 posted      Profile for map1131     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why not just good old water with a twist of fresh lemon squeezed in? Lemon is considered good for detox, so maybe it's your bodies way of saying it's too much to start and it can't keep with with the balancing you are throwing at it.

Therefore the body says "I'm tired, let me rest or slow down the lemon stuff?" I'm not familiar with stevia and club soda effect on the body? So it just might be too much for all 3 or smaller doses of each?

I've never been able to use recommended doses of anything detoxing. I must start slow or my body screams at me.

Pam

--------------------
"Never, never, never, never, never give up" Winston Churchill

Posts: 6478 | From Louisville, Ky | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sutherngrl
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 16270

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sutherngrl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just plain water works best for me.
Posts: 4035 | From Mississippi | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dyna3495
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 24126

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dyna3495     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
the second molecule in the lemon's acid rotates in the opposite direction, when contact is made with a toxin or oxalate it therefore renders it nuetral thus discouraging crystaline structures,I.E kidney stones.
Posts: 160 | From Mid-east USA | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
40 drops of stevia sounds like a lot. That's 20 drops per cup. Is there a reason for this much? It should just take 1-3 drops to sweeten it. Is what you are using pure stevia, or cut a lot with some carrier liquid?

I don't think any carbonated drinks are good for the lining of our stomach. If it fizzes in the glass, it will be a bit rough in the stomach, too. Once in a while, maybe, but daily and this could compromise stomach lining. When enjoyed, though, be sure it comes from a glass container, not plastic.
-

[ 02-20-2010, 04:28 PM: Message edited by: Keebler ]

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TF
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 14183

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TF     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Regarding lemons and water, my now-famous lyme doctor told me to eat 4 lemons per day. He said lemons are a natural cleanser of the body.

He also said to drinks lots of water to flush out the system.

So, the lemons and water are cleaning out your body. A herx is due to excess toxins (poisons) building up in your body. So the lemons and the water will flush them out and make the herx milder or non-existent. That is the theory behind eating fresh lemons.

I can't just eat a lemon, so I cut them up and squeezed them into water along with all the fruit (but not the rind) of the lemon. I drank lemon water all day long. It was my only drink.

Lemons make the body alkaline (even though lemon juice is acidic) and this is also very helpful to the body evidently.

My doc wanted me to eat the lemons and drink lots of water throughout the lyme treatment.

You have substituted club soda for the water. I don't think I would do that. Try using lemons, water, and stevia and see how you do.

My doc allowed me to use stevia as a sweetener. No sugar substitutes and no sugar allowed.

Posts: 9931 | From Maryland | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LightAtTheEnd
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 24065

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LightAtTheEnd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I guess I have drunk this 7 or 8 times now. Maybe 3 times I used regular filtered water instead of club soda.

It seemed to have the same fatigue effect.

The stevia is in some kind of clear liquid. The bottle says 5-7 drops is a "serving," but when I put that much in, I couldn't taste any sweetness at all, so I kept increasing it until it was just sweet enough to drink.

I have used that much stevia in a similar amount of cocoa or chocolate cake and not had fatigue or any other effect afterward, so I don't think it's the stevia.

Not sure about the club soda--I'll try drinking that alone and see what happens. And I'm sure y'all are right that whatever's in it besides water is not good for us.

When I drink plain water with a little slice of lemon squeezed in it, like you get at restaurants, I don't notice any effect.

So maybe it is too much lemon juice at once?

--------------------

Posts: 756 | From Inside the tunnel | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LightAtTheEnd
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 24065

Over the weekend, I got nausea and vomiting from eating a meal of mostly refined carbs (which I have been mostly avoiding) and possibly from doxy.

A little later, I drank plain club soda, and it made my stomach feel better, and did not give me the fatigued/slightly dizzy feeling I had on Wed.-Fri. when I drank the lemonade, so I don't think the club soda was provoking that.

There still might be other reasons not to drink it, but it seems to help nausea and doesn't cause fatigue, so far so good.

Today I drank two glasses of lemonade made with half a lemon each, instead of a whole lemon, and did not get the fatigue or dizziness either.

It could still be random symptoms, but my current hypothesis is that it was too much lemon juice at once for me, or else it needed to be more diluted.

--------------------

LightAtTheEnd
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 24065

Update: Yesterday and today, I made the lemonade with a whole lemon again, and did not have any problem with it--no fatigue or slight dizziness like before.

So maybe last week's 3 days of fatigue was a herx? Or a coincidence?

Goodness, I wish that anything at all about this disease would be predictable.

Anyway, this week I am able to enjoy my sparkling lemonade. [Smile]

Though when I pull my juicer, paring knife, lemon, and bottle of stevia out of my locker at work and line them up on the breakroom table, I feel a bit like someone lining up their drug paraphernalia, haha.

Today's new yummy AND portable snack is a handful of dried unsweetened coconut flakes mixed with almonds salted with sea salt, mmmm.

--------------------

Karen Mc
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 23354

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karen Mc     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Glad to here it!! ANd that snack sound yummy...Im gonna have to try it
Thanxs,
Karen

Posts: 423 | From Virginia | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement