LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Bicillin Users: How bad are your herxes?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Bicillin Users: How bad are your herxes?
Sammi
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 110

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sammi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bicillin users, I am curious to know how bad your herxes are on this med. I know each case is different, but I would love to hear your experiences.

I started getting twice weekly shots five weeks ago, and I have been slammed with symptoms (including symptoms I have not had in a very long time).

Any input is appreciated!

Posts: 4681 | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymebytes
Member # 11830

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymebytes   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I felt the best on Bicillin. I herxed, but not much worse than my brutal symptoms are anyway. Most of my herxing was depressive feelings, sadness, hopeless, etc. It definitely brought back old symptoms and amplified current ones as well.

It was the last abx my son did and it caused an increase in his symptoms off an on for 9 months until he got well on it.

--------------------
www.truthaboutlymedisease.com

Posts: 2003 | From endemic area | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
VB
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 16824

Icon 1 posted      Profile for VB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think it helped me a lot, and I herxed a lot on it. I'm not sure however that I was getting it into my system properly (see my bicillin post from just a few min's ago). But, the amount that I did get into my system did help me a lot. And I do remember bad herxes (headaches were especially bad) for several months after I started them.

V

Posts: 453 | From TX | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Haley
Member # 22008

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Haley     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is Bicillin primarily for Lyme or is it used for co-infections also?

Is it always an intramuscular injection or are there other forms?

Just curious.

Posts: 2232 | From USA | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hoosiers51
Member # 15759

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hoosiers51     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bicillin is the brand name for injectable Penicillin. So if you took it in oral form, it would be oral penicillin.
Posts: 4590 | From Midwest | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hoosiers51
Member # 15759

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hoosiers51     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My herxes were not too bad, but up until then, I had done a lot of other heavy duty lyme treatments, including IV doxy and IV Rocephin.

I did herx though, and it was surprisingly severe considering what I had taken in the past. But all in all, it wasn't horrible, like go to ER horrible.

The worst part was the increased fatigue, that lasted for the first 3-4 months.

I also got crying, worsening of headaches, and achey knees.

I have heard of people having horrible herxes in response to Bicillin. As in, almost seizure like activity that happened after each shot for the first few weeks. Like teeth chattering loudly and rocking and uncontrollable movements. Scary stuff.

Posts: 4590 | From Midwest | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amanda
Member # 14107

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Amanda     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
With the bicillin, for the first 6 weeks, my muscle twithches on my face, and my earing problems increased.

After a year, I almost never have facial twitches and hearing is much better.

But I did start a new drug (ketek), and many of my symptoms came back hard for a few weeks, I guess because the ketek is hitting the lyme hiding...

--------------------
"few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" - Mark Twain

Posts: 1008 | From US | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymebytes
Member # 11830

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymebytes   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, that is right it caused me weird headaches, back of the head pain.

Some LLMd's are saying the new oral Moxatag may be as effective as Bicillin. Probably yet to be seen though.

--------------------
www.truthaboutlymedisease.com

Posts: 2003 | From endemic area | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
street129
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 23472

Icon 1 posted      Profile for street129     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
sammi.. you're still sick since 2000! wow

--------------------
IgM: Neg Neg 34IND 39IND
41+ 83-93IND

IgG: Neg Neg 41+

cfs, hhv6, mycobacterium, hsv1, cmv, pirovirus, and Epstein Barr virus.... digestive system

GOD GIVE IT, AND GOD CAN TAKE IT AWAY

Posts: 655 | From new york | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vermont_Lymie
Member # 9780

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vermont_Lymie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not too bad. Bicillin made me very sleepy, mainly the first week I used it. Some muscle tension on the day after the injections lasted for months. Helped greatly over almost a year.
Posts: 2557 | From home | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sammi
Member # 110

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sammi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you all for your replies. It sounds like it is a beneficial med even if some have bad herxes.

I think part of why it is affecting me so much is because I have never been on this class of drug before. It was thought that I was allergic to Penicillin, but extensive allergy testing disproved this.

I just hope the intensity lets up soon.

Posts: 4681 | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement