LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Son's reaction to medication

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Son's reaction to medication
Starfall1969
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 17353

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Starfall1969     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This may or may not be a Lyme thing, since my son has never been tested or treated for lyme, but this has been a disturbing week.

He had bronchitis 2 weeks ago, and his doctor put him on amoxyl (he's allergic to zithromax).

Well, 2 days after he finished that abx, he came down again with a 103 fever, fatigue, and numbness in his hands.

His doctor wasn't in that day, so I took him to the only other available doctor; she dx'ed an ear infection (his brother had one too) and still bronchitis and gave him Cefdinir.

Within a couple days of starting that abx, he began to get really fatigued (lying down after breakfast, having to nap after school and after supper) and had HORRIBLE moodswings.

He got downright belligerent one night and my husband and I both had to restrain him.

Honestly, I kept looking at his eyes to try to see if he was demon-possessed.

Called the doctor to let her know what was going on, since the abx paperwork listed those sx as a "rare but serious side effect."

She took her good old time getting back to me, and when the office called, her only advice was to try giving him Tylenol or Motrin to see if that helped.

I about hit the roof! This is about the 3rd day since I took him off the meds, and he is still just as moody and belligerent.

Has anyone had this issue with their kids and meds? How long should it take for him to get back to normal after he quit the meds?

His doctor is out again this whole week, but I seriously want to take him in to see her if he is still acting like this over the weekend.

Posts: 1682 | From Dillsburg, PA | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hostbody
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 12695

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hostbody     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lyme or not, I would take him to a different doctor! "Give him Tylenol or Motrin"...yeah, like that's going to help!

I do know a man who has Lyme with the only symptom is that he has an altered personality at times. His wife says it's like living with an alien. However, he is the only one I know or have ready about that has only this one symptom.

I wouldn't jump to any conclusions. But would find a different doctor who could provide you with some answers that at least make sense to you!

Posts: 111 | From York, PA | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carol in PA
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 5338

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carol in PA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wonder if this reaction was a herx.

Being so tired that he had to nap sounds like a herx, and many here have mood swings too.

Carol

Posts: 6947 | From Lancaster, PA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pinelady
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 18524

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pinelady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Encephalitis and meningitis should be ruled out.

I believe both are common in Lyme. If he should get any worse or you are suspicious I would do all

I could to keep him calm and take him to hosp. They tazered this poor guy cos' they thought he was on drugs

http://lesseverything.com/johnsfund

--------------------
Suspected Lyme 07 Test neg One band migrating in IgG region
unable to identify.Igenex Jan.09IFA titer 1:40 IND
IgM neg pos
31 +++ 34 IND 39 IND 41 IND 83-93 +
DX:Neuroborreliosis

Posts: 5850 | From Kentucky | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SmurfyMom
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13688

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SmurfyMom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Can't say about your son, but MY son has episodes like that ALL the time, and has since he was about 2 and had his first course of steroids. Meds have helped somewhat...for awhile... then we have to up the dosage. We're at critical mass sotospeak now. He's maxed out his anti-depressant and his ADHD med. Dr just put him on an anti-pyschotic and told us to ABSOLUTELY take him to the hospital the next time he has an episode.

My son tested IgM and IgG positive for Lyme, and the horrible rage issues we *think* are due to bartonella, which he is currently being treated for.

He hasn't been unusually fatigued lately, but when he first started Lyme abx he was. A LOT! He was also very quick to tire (but not be fatigues all the time, his stamina was just low) prior to abx tx.

I guess what I am saying is - if MY had the situation/circumstances you are describing, I would absolutely be setting up an appt with a LLMD for further evaluation.

Chris
cong. Lymie (also babs and bart), severely ill since 2007
mom of 2 cong. Lymies

Posts: 155 | From Texas | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NeuroEcclectic
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 17783

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NeuroEcclectic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
New doc.

--------------------
Contracted LD et al, August 2000
Officially dx, February 2006
My Lyme Neuroborreliosis mimics Multiple Sclerosis.
Lesions- Brain, Cervical and Thoracic spine.

Posts: 123 | From Seattle, WA | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement