LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » neuro symptoms/difficulty reading

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: neuro symptoms/difficulty reading
stork
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 24167

Icon 1 posted      Profile for stork     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi All

I am a university student diagnosed with lyme and ehrlichia by igenex testing. My symptoms have been mainly neurological in nature - moderate to severe brain fog, band-like headaches around the head, difficulty reading, etc. These symptoms have been predominant throughout - my fatigue has been mainly mental and not physical. I used to have very bad head pressure and some lyme-arthritis symptoms, but these have subsided through antibiotic treatment. My neuro symptoms only seem to be getting worse or staying bad.

I did 26 days of doxy @ 100 mgx2 and am now at 1000mg oral amoxicillin x3 I am currently under treatment with a LLMD who seems to be pretty gungho with oral antiobiotics. I am also taking herbals - samento, pinella, burbur, and parsley by nutramedix +multivitamin/bcomplex/ginko. These seem to have helped some of the brain fog but its been pretty much constant. I feel scarily disassociated from my body and what's going on around me.

I was wondering if any of you have had success with certain supplements or antibiotic approaches with these symptoms in the past. If anything, I am able to think and talk better than when I was at my worst but my reading ability still sucks. I am also wondering what I should ask my doctor about considering that my symptoms are neurological and oral antibiotics don't seem to be helping that much. Also interested to hear your perspective on exercise for these kinds of symptoms, and if any of you have been through these and experienced recovery.

Thank you. I hope to get my life back and wish you all the best. Weird to think that I felt perfectly fine 3 months ago.

--------------------
long road since 2010
abx got me over the hump
diet, detox, and herbs have got me to heal

Posts: 174 | From CT | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ian
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 24637

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ian     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know exactly how you feel. I'm a college student as well. I felt perfectly fine just three months ago (well, basically, I've had symptoms for 13-14 years, when I was infected) and today I have intense pressure in my head, mental confusion, and dissociation, just as you do.

I haven't started treatment yet so I can't give you advice on abx or supplements. I'll link Dr. B's Guidelines just in case you haven't read them though. They have excellent info on supplements for those with severe neurological problems.

http://www.lymenet.org/BurrGuide200810.pdf

In terms of exercise I have done weightlifting. I'd say exercise helps, but it depends on how you define "helps". Whenever I exercise I get a fast heart rate and even worse headaches. The headaches usually last for hours after. I read that this is because exercise improves circulation. Also, it cause micro-tears in your muscles which might cause Borrelia to enter your blood stream. Exercise is still good because it forces more Borrelia into your blood, so your immune system can fight it. I just warn you: you will feel worse during and after exercise.

Are you on medical leave? If you are having severe neurological problems it may be best to go on medical leave. I was forced to go on leave last week. Now that I am out of school I can completely focus on learning about Lyme and getting treated. Treating Lyme is not a simple or short process. It is a marathon. If you are not on leave I urge you to consider it. I know you want to fight through and finish the semester, so did I. But there's a point when you just need to take a step back and focus on what's really important. Best of luck!

--------------------
Bart and Babesia seropositive
Current tx: Rifampin, Biaxin, Bactrim DS, Artemisinin, Resveratrol (japanese knotweed), Red Root, Boneset

Posts: 168 | From PA | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ian
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 24637

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ian     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was reading through Dr. B's Guidelines again (it always helps) and ran across the supplement that he most recommends for neurological symptoms. The supplement is NT factor. I searched it on the web and the cheapest price that I could find is at luckyvitamin.com. Just search "nt factor." You will come up with a list. "Healthy Aging with High Potency NT Factor is well-reviewed on several sites. In fact, I ordered it for myself when I ordered Dr. B's required supplements yesterday.

I'm not sure if I'm supposed to recommend particular supplements and particular sites. Oh well. [Smile]

--------------------
Bart and Babesia seropositive
Current tx: Rifampin, Biaxin, Bactrim DS, Artemisinin, Resveratrol (japanese knotweed), Red Root, Boneset

Posts: 168 | From PA | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
stork
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 24167

Icon 1 posted      Profile for stork     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ian, I'm glad to hear someone who is dealing with the same kind of situation but I am very sorry you're dealing with this. We'll get through it as stronger people.

Leave has not been an option because it would cost my parents thousands of dollars and treatment is not exactly cheap either. Funny how that works. I am considering dropping down to a smaller courseload for sure. I am really banking on getting better this summer, but we will see :-/ I agree that it certainly seems like this will be a marathon.

I've read the Burrascano guidelines. I will have to check out that supplement though - the two reviews I was able to find were positive.

--------------------
long road since 2010
abx got me over the hump

Posts: 174 | From CT | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pinelady
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 18524

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pinelady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You guys may find some of these supp. helpful.

http://www.klinghardtneurobiology.com/LymeProtocolOct09.pdf

--------------------
Suspected Lyme 07 Test neg One band migrating in IgG region
unable to identify.Igenex Jan.09IFA titer 1:40 IND
IgM neg pos
31 +++ 34 IND 39 IND 41 IND 83-93 +
DX:Neuroborreliosis

Posts: 5850 | From Kentucky | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mcg08002
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 24617

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mcg08002   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey, I am also a university student. Where do you go? I started symptoms 4 months ago. I can defintley relate. I know what you mean about wanting to feel normal. Weird to think I was "Normal" four months ago.if you need anything, just private message me!

--------------------
Stephanie, University Student.

Ehrlichia [POSITIVE]
IGG/IGM AB [H] 1.49
indexLyme AB interp. EIA [A] POSITIVE
IGG P93 AB [PRESENT]
IGG P41 AB [PRESENT]
IGM P41 AB [PRESENT]
IGM P23 AB [PRESENT]
Lyme IGM WB interp. [A] [PRESENT]

Posts: 145 | From Idaho | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daniel
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 22201

Icon 1 posted      Profile for daniel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hi there..

im also a university student in germany. im sick since september 2008. started with treatment in April 2009. I couldn't pass any exams in my sickest time.. now im on antibiotics since 11 months.. and i wrote 3 exams in january.. i passed them all. im not recovered totally for sure.. but im improving. brain improving is a slow process.. your brain needs a lot of time to get "healthy" again. it depends on the time which you were sick before treatment. most people need something about 2-3 years to recover brainfunction. some need less.. some more.. its different.

i hope you feel better soon.. take a break von uni for 1 or 2 semesters. take care.

greetz from germany

Posts: 371 | From velocity of light | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hoosiers51
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 15759

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hoosiers51     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have had the difficulty reading as a symptom, and have always had bad cognitive effects from this disease.

The thing that has helped my brain the most so far is Bactrim DS, combined with Zithromax. I believe the Bactrim DS (aka Septra DS) was the biggest factor in the improvement, but I have noticed that it seems to work best when paired with Zithromax or Clindamycin (to a lesser degree than Zith).

Zith alone won't do much for brain fog for me, but combined with Plaquenil it did seem to help my psych symptoms. Plaquenil helps Zith work better and penetrate better.

Some people find that Levaquin or Rifampin help their brain fog.

It could be from bartonella, a bartonella like organism (BLO), or Lyme itself. I think for me it was due to Bart.

Posts: 4590 | From Midwest | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hoosiers51
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 15759

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hoosiers51     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ps--your doc will probably tell you Bactrim doesn't treat Lyme, which it might not....it is probably working because it helps people with Lyme who are coinfected with something else like Bart.
Posts: 4590 | From Midwest | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daniel
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 22201

Icon 1 posted      Profile for daniel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
oh yeah.. bactrim helped me a lot too. in 2 weeks i start my rifampin + bactrim combo.. hope it will kick *** ;D
Posts: 371 | From velocity of light | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NeuroEcclectic
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 17783

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NeuroEcclectic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
flucanazole (diflucan)

http://www.canlyme.com/diflucan.html

Px-John.

--------------------
Contracted LD et al, August 2000
Officially dx, February 2006
My Lyme Neuroborreliosis mimics Multiple Sclerosis.
Lesions- Brain, Cervical and Thoracic spine.

Posts: 123 | From Seattle, WA | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
stork
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 24167

John - Did you have success with Diflucan yourself in treating neuro symptoms?

Thanks.

--------------------
long road since 2010
abx got me over the hump

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement