LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » success with Ceftin?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: success with Ceftin?
chris hile
Member # 20701

Icon 1 posted      Profile for chris hile     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just officially diagnosed with Lyme (although I've probably had it more than 20 years) and my

Doc put me on Ceftin until the Western blot test results come back. Has anyone just used Ceftin

and been 'cured' or were there other meds involved? And how long were the meds taken?

Posts: 22 | From pleasant gap, pa. 16823 | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
psr1
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 22957

Icon 1 posted      Profile for psr1   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have gotten very close to well on Ceftin.
Posts: 360 | From New York | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
canefan17
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 22149

Icon 1 posted      Profile for canefan17     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If I had to pick one drug to treat Lyme I'd pick Ceftin everytime.
Posts: 5394 | From Houston, Tx | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RZR
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 20953

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RZR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does Ceftin cause more of a yeast issue than other abx? I can't remember where, but thought I read that before.

--------------------
Tick bite May 2009
Diagnosed June 2009

Posts: 2329 | From SouthEast | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alana
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14077

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Alana     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Pamela Weintraub (author of "Cure Unknown") had great results with Ceftin for herself and I believe one or more of her family members.

As to whether Ceftin is a "cure", it hasn't been for our family.

Your doc has to determine whether or not you have coinfections---via clinical dx, while at the same time testing for them (such as babesia, erlichiosis, bartonella, to name a few) and decide what agents will attack them too.

Unfortunately, ticks transmit a whole lot of other things than just Lyme.

If only Lyme were the only infection we had to treat, things would be easier for us all.

Hope you are under the care of an LLMD. If you aren't, post on the "seeking a doctor" forum. You'll get info on docs in your area.

Posts: 214 | From where ticks flourish | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nicole_Denise
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 20620

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nicole_Denise     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am on Ceftin. Unfortunately, my pharmacy is having trouble getting it, so I was on it for a month, but have no been off it for three weeks, so I can't really tell you how it worked for me
Posts: 503 | From Alberta, Canada | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
steven
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13101

Icon 1 posted      Profile for steven     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
it didnt help me. maybe because it doesnt cross the bbb enough.
Posts: 226 | From earth | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TxLymie
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 20847

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TxLymie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was on Ceftin for 3 months and I do think it helped. However, I had severe bloating and also started to develop yeast so I took myself off.

I did follow the yeast diet, took probiotics, OLE etc but I still was developing yeast.

I may go on it again but this time I will take diflucan 1-2 times per week (docs recommendation) to try and keep the yeast at bay.

--------------------
TxLymie
IgG-Negative
IgM - Postive bands 23 and 41

Other dx: 2000: Endometriosis 2009: Chronic EBV, Mycoplasma infection, HHV6, H.pylori

Posts: 297 | From Houston | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ninjaphire
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18234

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ninjaphire     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ceftin is working great for me right now, but I tried a bunch of other abx first.
Posts: 330 | From Colorado, USA | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
djf2005
Member # 11449

Icon 1 posted      Profile for djf2005     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ceftin is a nasty tasting abx.

I was not impressed.

I am a much bigger fan of macrolides.

It's a cell wall inhibitor and might prove to be good in short term symptom relief but long term I am not convinced.

Also, it creates yeast issues very quickly IMO.

--------------------
"Experience is not what happens to you; it is what you do with what happens to you."

[email protected]

Posts: 2269 | From Lansdowne, Pa | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seekhelp
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 15067

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seekhelp     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It didn't do much for me, but I didn't take the massive doses WildCondor says are needed for Lyme. She said 3,000 mg daily. My LLMD capped me at 1,000 mg daily.
Posts: 7545 | From The 5th Dimension - The Twilight Zone | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Toppers
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 20083

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Toppers     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It helped for me a ton. I may go back on it when the sun shines again to replace doxycycline.
Posts: 501 | From Cleveland Ohio | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vermont_Lymie
Member # 9780

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vermont_Lymie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ceftin helped me recover from lyme. Higher doses may help more with neuro-lyme, I took 2000 mg daily.

Long term yeast has not been a problem as long as I watch diet (no sugar) and take yeast-preventing supplements like garlic and oregano.

Posts: 2557 | From home | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
psr1
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 22957

Icon 1 posted      Profile for psr1   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi there Vermont Lymie:
I am also taking Ceftin (for about three months) and have gotten much better: I am curious as to how long you were sick, and how long you took Ceftin. I am on 2000 mg although I do have some significant neuro symptoms. Are you completely well now? My LLMD is talking about Bicillin: do you have any experience with that?
Thanks a bunch,
Pam

Posts: 360 | From New York | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vermont_Lymie
Member # 9780

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vermont_Lymie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Pam,

Just sent you a PM. I took ceftin for about 2 years, and I am very well now. More details in the note. Best wishes.

Posts: 2557 | From home | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
psr1
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 22957

Hi there Vermont Lymie:
I am also taking Ceftin (for about three months) and have gotten much better: I am curious as to how long you were sick, and how long you took Ceftin. I am on 2000 mg although I do have some significant neuro symptoms. Are you completely well now? My LLMD is talking about Bicillin: do you have any experience with that?
Thanks a bunch,
Pam

psr1
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 22957

Thanks so much for answering me (btw your mailboc is full). I have probably had Lyme for 4 years: got sick last summer & have been treating since. I was disabled for probably only about a month with terrible neuro symptoms and pain: got a good Lyme doctor and am doing much better: back at work and probably doing about 80% of normal, with the inevitable bad patches. I do get disheartened when I see what a long haul it will probably be, so it is wonderful to hear from someone like you who has gotten better. I will ask about the Bicillin/Biaxin combo. Trying herbs as well cause my LLMD likes them: can't get too far with any before I start to feel awful. I will keep chugging along...
thanks again

triathletelymie
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 26456

Icon 1 posted      Profile for triathletelymie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Currently taking biaxin and ceftin, 500 mg each twice a day plus plaquenil and welchol. It seems like these doses are not high enough...at only 1000 mg each a day. Thoughts?

--------------------
? date of bite/no rash
10/09 symptoms, 4/10 diagnosed, after 6 mos. ER visits, tons of docs/tests
CDC+ 23/39/41/45/58/66/93
currently on oral plaquenil, doryx, rifampin, pyrazinamide, nystatin, numerous supplements

Posts: 718 | From Pennsylvania | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement