LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » recommendations for antibiotic challenge for WB test?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: recommendations for antibiotic challenge for WB test?
MariaA
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 9128

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MariaA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi all,
I have a couple of friends with possible Lyme Disease who are going to go to their local doctor for a Western Blot. One might be able to get an IGenex test- he's tested negative through the 'mill' lab (ie quest or labcorp or whatever the clinic uses) once before, but this might or might not be a new infection. Another will probably use a 'mill' lab.

I was recommending that they try to get some antibiotics first, and to do an 'antibiotic challenge' for a couple of weeks first. Their doctors are cooperative with the idea of Lyme testing this way, they just don't know anything about Lyme (but are at least willing to come right out and say 'i don't know', which is a great thing)

Which antibiotics are recommended for this, for people who don't have obvious coinfection symptoms but merely joint pain/fatigue/memory issues/brainfog?

--------------------
Symptom Free!!! Thank you all!!!!

Find me at Lymefriends, I post under the same name.
diet: http://lymefriends.ning.com/group/healthylowcarbrecipes
Homemade Probiotics thread
Herbal Links Thread

Posts: 2552 | From San Francisco | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Karen Mc
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 23354

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karen Mc     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My LLMD suggested Doxy 100 mg (Bid) for my son. which I was able to get from our Fammily Doc (for acne). I plan on getting him tested next week through IGenex. Its just been upsetting his stomach real bad (even with food) but what you are describing about your friends is what my son is going through except hes getting headaches as well....not sure about the brain fog/memory issues though cause hes a 17 yr old teenager--lol---so thats anyones guess (:

Good luck,
Karen (:

Posts: 423 | From Virginia | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sutherngrl
Member # 16270

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sutherngrl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I tested before antibiotics and got nothing. Tested while on antibiotics for 2 months got IGM band 41, then tested a year later while on antibiotics and got IGM CDC positive.

But when all is said and done, Lyme Disease is still a "clinical" diagnosis.

Thats why you really need a LLMD to make a determination clinically. The test can always back it up then or later down the road.

Posts: 4035 | From Mississippi | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
robin_wachs
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 3525

Icon 1 posted      Profile for robin_wachs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
MariaA,

It appears the other posters are missing your question and may not know what you mean by antibiotic challenge.

I have always been a proponent of antibiotic challenge, especially prior to a first WB test. I believe and have experienced that it gives more bands than without the challenge if a person is actually infected with Lyme and makes antigen.

Antibiotic Challenge was the norm when I first started this adventure 12 years ago, But seems to have fallen out of favor with the LLMD's, I believe due to not wanting to take anyone off of antibiotics who is on them just for testing purposes. But what the LLMD's fail to fully understand, even though it is a clinical diagnosis, that is not how insurance companies work, They want to see positive tests, and if we can make them positive by tweaking our immune system, all the better.

The idea of an Antibiotic Challenge is, that if you have never been on antibiotics, that you should start antibiotics and get the little buggers riled up and your immune system will show antigen, IF you are an antigen maker. For those that have been on antibiotics long-term, this does not work in the same way. According to the antibiotic challenge for WB testing, those allready on antibiotics should stop them, again, so the little buggers will come out and your immune system will make antibodies in numbers again.

It's hard to remember the specific antibiotics from so many years ago, but it should be a a high powered antibiotic like Zithromax for about a week, sometimes 3 days is enough. I remember my LLMD had me take zith for only 3 days but don't remember which day I was actually tested, the 4th day? the 7th day? Any antibiotic used to typically treat Lyme will work but something like Doxy should probably be taken for at least a week prior to testing for a challenge.

Back in the day, Igenex actually included directions in their kit on how to do the antibiotic challenge.

Robin

Posts: 103 | From California | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dekrator48
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 18239

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dekrator48     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would suggest calling Igenex and asking for their recommendation.

--------------------
The fibromyalgia I've had for 32 years was an undiagnosed Lyme symptom.

"For I know the plans I have for you", declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future". -Jeremiah 29:11

Posts: 6076 | From Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MariaA
Member # 9128

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MariaA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My impression is that some doctors have you stop and then test, and others (including mine) say to just test while on antibiotics (for the kinds of cases that Robin_wachs just described- people who are new to treatment). I'll certainly call IGenex on Monday. It sounds to me like there's not firm agreement about whether to stop before testing, or not (It makes sense to me to just do it while on the antibiotics).

Doxy rings a bell as being one of the drugs different people have reported as being their 'challenge' drug.

--------------------
Symptom Free!!! Thank you all!!!!

Find me at Lymefriends, I post under the same name.
diet: http://lymefriends.ning.com/group/healthylowcarbrecipes
Homemade Probiotics thread
Herbal Links Thread

Posts: 2552 | From San Francisco | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pinelady
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 18524

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pinelady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think what most are saying it nothing is set in stone with Lyme.

Everyones immune systems are different and for various reasons.

I have read it used to takes some 5-10 trys to get enough bands to say positive.

So now if you have even one it should be pursued. Which is why I was told to always get copies of old tests that may show things to be suspect.

--------------------
Suspected Lyme 07 Test neg One band migrating in IgG region
unable to identify.Igenex Jan.09IFA titer 1:40 IND
IgM neg pos
31 +++ 34 IND 39 IND 41 IND 83-93 +
DX:Neuroborreliosis

Posts: 5850 | From Kentucky | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LymeXtu
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 24590

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LymeXtu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My son was put on Zithromax for fluid on his lungs ( we did not know about the Lyme at that point ) it caused a HUGE herx reaction, mainly BAD leg pain.

It was at that point his doctor ran more blood work, I insisted on a Lyme test too. He tested positive from ARUP lab and was on the Zithromax at the time of the test but had not been tested prior to that so I don't know if he would have tested positive before the antibiotic but he sure did while on it.

Posts: 448 | From minnesota | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
robin_wachs
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 3525

Icon 1 posted      Profile for robin_wachs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Igenex will not make a recommendation for or against antibiotic challenge anymore. They will simply tell you to ask your doctor.
Posts: 103 | From California | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Three weeks on doxy at 400mg is what I used. Then went off abx for 10-14 days. Helped more bands to show up.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement