LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Nausea/constant feelings of dry heaving

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Nausea/constant feelings of dry heaving
jenny76
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18205

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jenny76     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does anyone know what causes this and what helps this?

I always have the issue of feeling like I am going to dry heave but it gets worse at times. I do not understand what causes this.

I am currently not on meds, taking a three week break from IV. I am supposed to start up again tomorrow but feeling like this I am afraid to.

I am gluten free and pretty much sugar free. I have to take anti-nausea meds constantly just to be able to get food in my stomach. Even then I have to practically gag it down.

What is the cause of this? Babesia? Bart? I also treat yeast with diflucan and diet. Nystatin too and high dose probiotics.

When I am on treatment I treat on different IV and oral abx that cover all co's so I just dont understand why this is still so bad after being in treatment for over a year.

Any thoughts? [Frown]

--------------------
Never, Never, Never give up!

Posts: 395 | From Connecticut | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WildCondor
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
WHat are you taking..everything?
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jenny76
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18205

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jenny76     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Right now WildCondor? No I am on a med break for three weeks. I did just finish a 4 day cycle of Alinia but my LLMD doesn't consider that an antibiotic.

I am supposed to start up AGAIN IV Zith, IV Clinda, Mepron and Art and flagyl pulsed tomorrow.

--------------------

Posts: 395 | From Connecticut | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beths
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 18864

Icon 1 posted      Profile for beths     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mine was caused by an ulcer-woke up every morning with the dry heaves....DGL licorice and prilosec cured it
Posts: 1276 | From maryland | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jenny76
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18205

It seems to be more of a feeling in my throat rather than in my stomach. Maybe vagus nerve?

What coinfection causes this?

Thank you Beth, I may have to check into that. This is miserable. Absolute worst symptom.

--------------------

seibertneurolyme
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 6416

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seibertneurolyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hubby has had pretty much constant nausea for the entire 9 years he has been sick.

It will improve on certain meds til he is only nauseated say 70% of the time, but it never totally goes away.

For him this symptom was one of his first symptoms -- he was undiagnosed for 2 years.

We think his is primarily due to bartonella.

Sometimes nausea can be triggered by brain toxicity. For that type of nausea meds like Zofran (expensive) will work better than say Phenergran.

Yes, nausea can be tied into vagus nerve irritation. Or it could be caused by G.I. parasites such as giardia or gastritis or ulcers or .... the list is endless.

Food allergies could be another trigger.

Aloe vera gel might help if gastritis is the culprit. Hubby had better luck with licorice root made into a tea rather than the capsules of DGL.

Treating the infections may actually improve your nausea -- especially if you are using IV meds which do not have to go thru the stomach.

Best wishes.

Bea Seibert

Posts: 7306 | From Martinsville,VA,USA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seekhelp
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 15067

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seekhelp     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Without a doubt these TBIs cause me all kinds of issues with dry heaving. I hate this symptom and have dealt with it often. [Frown]
Posts: 7545 | From The 5th Dimension - The Twilight Zone | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jenny76
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18205

Will this get better with treatment? Maybe it will be good for me to start of IV's again tomorrow. Maybe I was off too long?

Thank you so much for the responses. This is the ONE symptom that I cannot handle. [Frown]

--------------------

WildCondor
Unregistered

It could be gastritis from all the meds, Alinia is hard on the stomach, and of course that is an antibiotic! Try some DGL, pepto bismol, ginger tea.
MariaA
Member # 9128

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MariaA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I thought that nausea is related to babesia in some of us. I think I had vagus nerve damage with babesia and that seemed very related to both my air hunger and my nausea (like if I yawned too hard due to air hunger it would trigger a retching feeling). If it started on the Alinia treatment that could POSSIBLY be related to the possible anti-babesia effects of Alinia. It's not really clear whether any of this is true, these are just things I've heard here while dealing with babesia and treating it with various drugs.

Good luck! It sounds quite unpleasant, but for most of us it does go away with enough treatment. My nausea left pretty quickly with babesia treatment.

--------------------
Symptom Free!!! Thank you all!!!!

Find me at Lymefriends, I post under the same name.
diet: http://lymefriends.ning.com/group/healthylowcarbrecipes
Homemade Probiotics thread
Herbal Links Thread

Posts: 2552 | From San Francisco | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
momintexas
Member # 23391

Icon 1 posted      Profile for momintexas   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm sorry to hear you have this. How Awful.

I am not on IV abx, but I had horrible nausea with dry heaves.

The thing that helped me the most is ginger root capsules. I take approx 4-6 throughout a day depending on how bad my day is.

I swear by it, couldn't get through a day without it.

Coconut oil has also helped a lot too.

I hope you feel better soon.

Posts: 1408 | From Tx | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jenny76
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18205

WildCondor, thank you for your input. I just don't quite understand why this seems so throat related for me.

Maria, yes I have heard that this is most likely related to Babesia and I KNOW that I have not had sufficient babs treatment. We are addressing this next IV cycles. I have always had this but it worsened in the Alinia.

I went undiagnosed for about 30 years and I am 33 now. Things have gotten worse though.

Momintexis, thanks so much. Is there a specific brand of ginger root caps?

I pray that this will get better with more treatment. It has to.

Thanks so much guys!

--------------------

momintexas
Member # 23391

Icon 1 posted      Profile for momintexas   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I haven't found any particular brand to be better than others. You can find it at any grocery store.

I also give it to my 9 year old. My husband also takes it for helping reduce swelling in his knees.

We go through a lot of it at our house.

If you have trouble with food, I suggest a nice bowl of egg drop soup as well.

I hope it works for you. Being nauseous is miserable.

Posts: 1408 | From Tx | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Erica741
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15186

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Erica741     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jenny, What does the LLMD say about this symptom? He should have some ideas on what's causing it. Though with the anti-nausea meds (and possibly the antifungals) he's clearly addressing it, so probably all he can do for now?

I wonder if the antifungals are making the nausea worse? Have you tried taking a break from those?

I'd also think Alinia would make it worse. Did he have anything to say about that?

I wonder if the nausea is caused or exacerbated by toxins???

Good luck with your upcoming treatment! I'm on my 3-week break now, so let me know if there's any way I can help or offer support. [Smile]

Posts: 408 | From California | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Buster
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19472

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Buster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Might want to get checked for gastroparesis, I am nauseated all the time and have been for 4.5 years now.

It comes and goes in waves but never goes away and no nausea meds help.

Posts: 458 | From Miss | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MariaA
Member # 9128

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MariaA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you think the Alinia might be causing a sort of babesia 'herx', you might ask your LLMD about having longer treatment with it. My LLMD gave me a 21-day course the first time (If I remember right). I've done several of them, and I think it was very helpful.

If you're buying it in the US and it's too expensive to consider that, do a search here for Alinia posts by me- I've posted a link a number of times for the "Canadian" online pharmacy that sells India-made generic Alinia quite cheaply. My LLMD was familiar with the Indian stuff because he'd worked in India at one point, and he was the one who suggested I get the Indian version initially. The cost difference is HUGE.

--------------------
Symptom Free!!! Thank you all!!!!

Find me at Lymefriends, I post under the same name.
diet: http://lymefriends.ning.com/group/healthylowcarbrecipes
Homemade Probiotics thread
Herbal Links Thread

Posts: 2552 | From San Francisco | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rumigirl
Member # 15091

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rumigirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Two suggestions: one is to do a lot of detox!! Of course I can't know what the cause is of YOUR nausea, but one of the frequent causes, esp with all the meds we take for tx, is toxicity.

There are lots of ways to detox, coffee enemas, liver flushes, lemon/lime juice in water, bentonite or French Green clays, and, of course, Welchol and Cholestyramine. Doing one of these can often help right away. And continuing to do lots of detox is

essential for many of us. Many of us have detox pathway glitches on top of everything else that makes it more difficult to detox the neurotoxins.

From what someone else said, it also sounds like it would be good to make sure that you don't have an ulcer or something similar.

Personally, I couldn't possibly tolerate tx without LOTS of detox.

Posts: 3771 | From around | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rumigirl
Member # 15091

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rumigirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Two suggestions: one is to do a lot of detox!! Of course I can't know what the cause is of YOUR nausea, but one of the frequent causes, esp with all the meds we take for tx, is toxicity.

There are lots of ways to detox, coffee enemas, liver flushes, lemon/lime juice in water, bentonite or French Green clays, and, of course, Welchol and Cholestyramine. Doing one of these can often help right away. And continuing to do lots of detox is

essential for many of us. Many of us have detox pathway glitches on top of everything else that makes it more difficult to detox the neurotoxins.

From what someone else said, it also sounds like it would be good to make sure that you don't have an ulcer or something similar.

Personally, I couldn't possibly tolerate tx without LOTS of detox.

Posts: 3771 | From around | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GNBRETT
Member # 17241

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GNBRETT     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Had the exact same issue till I switched to a better Probiotic. Try Ultimate Flora (50 Billion). Turned my nausea completely around.
Posts: 59 | From CONNECTICUT | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
GINGER CAPSULES often settle nausea.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jenny76
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18205

Erica, LLMD doesn't understand where this nausea is coming from. He is trying everything and I have had every test they can think of! I'm beginning to wonder if it is my liver or pancreas acting up. All of my numbers are normal though and GI docs can't find a thing. I just can't figure this one out.

Buster, thank you and yes I did get tested for gastroparesis and they said I'm fine there. You are correct though, no nausea meds seem to help me.

Maria, I'm not sure but this is my second round of Alinia. My LLMD does not believe in using it for more than 5 days at a time. We know that I tested positive for Crypto so that is why he is using it. I don't even think that he thinks it hits babs. He said it treats "Lyme in the gut" but I think it hits babs too.

Rumigirl, I don't know what else I could do for detox. I already do IV Glutathione two times a week, daily lactated ringers, drink green tea, Myers cocktails two times a week, drink lemon water, do burbur detox drinks...GRRRR! I'm just so frustrated and at a loss. I also get Colonics weekly. Maybe the clay would help me??? Where do I get that?

GNBRETT, I take Ultra Flora IB and Theralac for probiotics.

Keebler and momintexas I just got some Ginger caps today and just took one!

Thank you ALL for your input. I can't tell you how much I appreciate each and every one of you!!

--------------------

jenny76
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18205

Bea,

What do you think helped your hubby the most? I was thinking that this is Babs related but maybe it's bart??

Thanks so much!

--------------------

KS
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 12549

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KS     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow, this has been my number one issue since Day 1 of this disease! If you do a search here, you will likely find a few posts from me sharing a very similar story. The nausea for me has also always been concentrated in my throat (with a mild sore throat as well).

My nausea was so bad that I got to a point that I literally couldn't eat or function, I looked anorexic and doctors were starting to discuss the need for a feeding tube.

I treated lyme (and company) with a combination of drugs for about 20 months. At that point, my nausea had certainly improved but I hit a plateau. I stopped antibiotics (a year ago) to see what would happen. I also started working with a doctor to try some meds that might help my nausea. I am currently on a low dose of amitryptiline and it has helped a little.

I'm now able to eat and function relatively normally. The nausea still waxes/wanes some but it is manageable. I chew a lot of spearmint gum which helps some.

Similar to you, I went to NUMEROUS GI docs, ENT docs and neurologists trying to find a cause for my nausea. I had just about every test known to medicine performed and repeated. Nothing concrete was ever found. I was told by some doctors that there are a lot of people out there that deal with chronic, intractable nausea with no known cause and the best they can do is try to mask with meds.

I saw 4 different LLMDs in total during my treatment...one considered to be one of the best who has been practicing a long time and he told me he has never seen a case before me where someone had intractable nausea.

Anyway, sorry for the scattered response but you aren't alone...I know how horrible it is to feel like you are coming down with the flu, have a horrible hangover or morning sickness everyday.

There is a doctor affiliated with Wake Forest University (Dr. Koch) who specializes in intractable nausea. I don't personally know of anyone who has gone to him but might be something you may want to look into.

Kristin

Posts: 561 | From mass | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marcie
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 10070

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Marcie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have had on and off nausea since I have been treating lyme and co's (almost 4 years). For me it is worse when I am in a herx. It could be a combo of toxins and meds.
Posts: 323 | From Michigan | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Deb133
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18544

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Deb133     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jenny,

That is a really bad symptom Cassie has been having as well. She complains alot that its in her throat too.

If it wasnt for the nausea and pains she would be feeling sort of "ok"

I am going to try ginger capsules. Someone else has recommended Slippery Bark and Marshmallow Root you can get both in capsules. The marshmallow root is pretty cheap and you can make it into a tea if you want to go that route and I read where the tea could be more effective.

Good luck..

Deb G

Posts: 499 | From Malta, NY | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jenny76
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18205

Anyone know how much Ginger Root I can take in one day?

I took one cap this morning and need more! The cap is 550mg but it says that normal dosage is one cap a day.....

Can I take more??

--------------------

jenny76
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18205

KS, Marcie and Deb(hey you...remember me?) Thank you so much for your responses. I just want to know that this will get better with treatment. I started some serious babs treatment today so I am hoping that in time it will get better.

I may check into that dr KS, thank you for the name. Nausea is BY FAR the most debilitating symptom for me. BY FAR! UGGGGHH!

--------------------

Deb133
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18544

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Deb133     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jenny,
Of course I remember you...thats why I let you know that Cassie has the same exact thing. Hers is very debilitating as well keeps her out of school.

My husband just got home with some ginger root. I will let you know how it goes..

Deb

Posts: 499 | From Malta, NY | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amanda
Member # 14107

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Amanda     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This was my first symptom. And it is esxactly the same experience for me. Its not hte kind of nausea I feel if I ate something bad or had the flu. Its in my throat, dry heaves kind of thing.

For almost two years it was awful and I lost all kinds of wieght. Then it went away after I started Ceftin, and was gone for two years

Recently, changed meds, and now its back again.

I figured out for me it was a vegas nerve thing, because whenever I take drugs that slow nerve impulses, its better. What works best for me is klonopin, but it doesn't make ti completely go away. But it does make it more bearable.

You could try the klonpin, if that helps, thats a clue its a vegas nerve thing.

Be aware that you will develip a physical dependenence on the Klonopin. I have stopeed and started this drug several times, you just have to wean off of it slowly.

I know that the "herbal purists" will tell you how addictive it is, but frankly, when you are suffering through treatment, you need all the help you can get. And it IS NOT that bad, you just have to go off of it slowly. If you notice it doesn't help after a few days, then you can stop right away with no problems. AND its super cheap.

Good luck, I know how awful it feels....

--------------------
"few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" - Mark Twain

Posts: 1008 | From US | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
momintexas
Member # 23391

Jenny,

I also have the 550 mg capsules. I take one about 30 min after breakfast and one about 30 min after dinner. I have taken more than that on bad days.

My husband doesn't have Lyme and he takes it twice a day.

gwb
Member # 7273

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gwb     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Uriel Chicory Ginger Digestive Bitters did the trick for me. It also helps to detoxify and gives digestive and liver support as well.

Check it out: http://shop.urielpharmacy.com/liq-chiginbit240.aspx

Gary

Posts: 1349 | From OK | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WildCondor
Unregistered

Have you had an endoscopy? They can biopsy for Lyme and bartonella when they go in there. It could be h.pylori too. I doubt it is a herx. Could be gastritis from the Alinia, as it is hard to take.

DO you have any other symptoms like acid reflux?

jenny76
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18205

Amanda, thanks so much for your input! You know what the funny thing is? The ONLY thing that seems to help at all (and I mean a tiny bit) is a 1/4 tablet of Ativan. I don't know what it does but it seems to have the effect you say Klonopin does on you. I know this issue is NOT anxiety related but for some reason the Ativan relaxes the nerves or muscles in my neck/throat. I'm willing to try anything to help this...I just hate it.

Momintexas thank you and I will up it to twice a day :-)

Gary, thank you I will also check this out.

WildCondor, I had an endoscopy/colonoscopy 2 years ago but just had an appt with a new Gastroenterologist yesterday and she wants to repeat the endo. I will have that done in April. She feels she won't find anything but wants to put my mind at ease. I just wish this was simple. I really don't have acid reflux symptoms often, maybe sometimes but not constantly.

Thanks guys!

--------------------

Amanda
Member # 14107

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Amanda     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Klonopin is in the same class as attivan, exscept that the klonopin stays in your system longer.

Also, if you have problems with depression, be aware that klonopin (or attivan) cna make that worse. So, you may need to add something to help with depression...

--------------------
"few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" - Mark Twain

Posts: 1008 | From US | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
elley0531
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9434

Icon 1 posted      Profile for elley0531     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
you keep mentioning your throat-it could be that you have a hiatal hernia. I have one and it can leave you with a full throat feeling. Its very uncomfortable and I get bloated from it as well.

Ginger tea helps me, as does DGL (the chewable ones).

Posts: 594 | From NJ/NY | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement