LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Afternoon crash affecting mood/chemical imbalance?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Afternoon crash affecting mood/chemical imbalance?
0ldman
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 22101

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 0ldman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've searched and I haven't found where anyone else has described this.

For the record, taken daily, amox 3500 x2, dox 100 x2, multi vit x2, 400mg magnesium x2, cats claw x2, 250mg grapefruit seed extract x2, milk thistle, lots of probiotics and s.boulardi.

Major improvement over the past six months, but I've slid back over the past month.

During my spells, crashes, whatever, my moods are affected. Sometimes the mood change comes first, sometimes it follows.

It isn't so much a mood swing, it is generally a complete lack of emotions. It is as if once my body hits a certain point (enough pain), that some switch just flips. The pain doesn't go away, but it is more tolerable, however, emotions are just shut down. I might get irritated or laugh, etc, but nothing deep. Just don't care about anything. If I'm working and drop a screw, thats enough to just shut me down. It is like something just broke.

Once it is over, I'm back to normal. I do recognize these spells, most of the time just as they are starting. It isn't like I am all depressed, its like I am watching the symptoms begin and I know I can't make any decisions and had better watch my mouth over the next few hours because I am not myself.

Typically, this lasts for an hour or two. At its worst, when my symptoms are really bad and I could just sleep for days, this will last the duration.

Anyone else ever deal with the afternoon crash doing quite like this?

--------------------
Ticks suck.

Posts: 140 | From Alabama | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymeinhell
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 4622

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymeinhell     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does this happen after lunch? If so, have you ever kept a food log to see if perhaps it happens only when you eat certain things?

Moodiness after eating could be indicative of an undiagnose food allergy.

With an immune system crushed by Lyme, lots of us develop either temporary or permanent food allergies.

Just throwing it out there.

--------------------
Julie
_ _ ___ _ _
lymeinhell

Blessed are those who expect nothing, for they shall not be disappointed.

Posts: 2258 | From a better place than I was 11 yrs ago | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Afternoon naps are often absolutely required, as per Dr. B's self-care guidelines. Are you able to do that?

Are you GLUTEN-FREE? That can make a huge different with endurance and mood drops - or the inability to have emotion as that, too, is a drop. Adrenal exhaustion comes to mind.

Adding TURMERIC or the stronger extract, CURCUMIN might be of help. If your gallbladder is stressed, go for turmeric. If not, the curcumin will offer more help in a variety of ways for support.

What is your ADRENAL support? Cordyceps would be a start. And also consider: Siberian ginseng (Eleutherococcus senticosus); Ashwagandha root (Withania somnifera); Rhodiola,

========================

This book, by an ILADS member LLMD, holds great information about treatments options and support measures, including those to help adrenal/endocrine function:

http://tinyurl.com/6lq3pb (through Amazon)

THE LYME DISEASE SOLUTION (2008)

- by Kenneth B. Singleton , MD; James A. Duke. Ph.D. (Foreword)

You can read more about it here and see customer reviews.

Web site: www.lymedoctor.com

======================

http://www.prohealth.com/ME-CFS/library/showArticle.cfm?libid=14383&B1=EM031109C

http://tinyurl.com/detwtt

Underactive Adrenal Gland - Stresses and Problems with the Body's 'Gear Box' - by Dr. Sarah Myhill, MD

=======================

Many libraries carry this book and you can read 95 customer reviews here (average 4.5 star out of 5) AND see inside the book:

www.amazon.com/Adrenal-Fatigue-Century-Stress-Syndrome/dp/1890572152/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1263516913&sr=8-1

Adrenal Fatigue: The 21st Century Stress Syndrome

~ James L. Wilson, ND, DC, PhD, Johnathan V. Wright, MD

About $10. And qualifies for free shipping with a total $25. Purchase at Amazon

======================

http://tinyurl.com/y8bd9k2

Curcumin Prevents Some Stress-Related Changes

Excerpts:

A recently published study investigated the effects of curcumin, a constituent of the botanical turmeric, on changes in cognition and memory caused by stress. . . .

. . . In this new study, researchers investigated the effect of curcumin supplementation on stress-induced learning defects in mice. . . .

. . . In addition, curcumin reversed the stress-induced increase in the levels of serum corticosterone, the primary hormone secreted during the stress response. . . .

. . . The researchers concluded, ``Thus, curcumin may be an effective therapeutic for learning and memory disturbances as was seen within these stress models, and

its neuroprotective effect was mediated in part by normalizing the corticosterone response, resulting in down-regulating of the phosphorylated calcium/calmodulin kinase II and glutamate receptor levels.''
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tick battler
Member # 21113

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tick battler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just a guess, but it's possible that bartonella is rearing its ugly head. I have noticed a lot of psych symptoms when my children have bart that is active.

I have also seen that once you knock down one infection (e.g., Lyme), then another surfaces (e.g., bart). So that could be the cause of your backsliding recently. Have you noticed any other new sypmtoms such as migrating muscle pains or foot pain?

tickbattler

Posts: 1763 | From Malvern, PA | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
0ldman
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 22101

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 0ldman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I will read this again in a bit when I'm more clear headed and reply appropriately.

Quick reply, I've had migrating muscle and foot pain for quite a while. These were some of the symptoms that made me look for a new doc.

It does typically happen after I've eaten. I have gone hard into DrB's diet and just eaten whatever, didn't seem to change it much. Nerve pain seems worse after drinking Dr Pepper n coffee, which I rarely drink.

As you all can certainly understand, so much of this has just been here for so long, its really hard to remember when the problem began.

Keebler, afternoon naps are hit and miss. Often I can't, I run my own business, gotta keep food money coming in the door.

Most of the time, I can't take a nap just because I absolutely can't get to sleep. When I can, it makes a big difference.

--------------------
Ticks suck.

Posts: 140 | From Alabama | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tick battler
Member # 21113

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tick battler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You might consider adding a bart drug to your protocol to see if you have a reaction to it. It doesn't appear that your current protocol is hitting bart. I guess Doxy can sometimes hit it, but not nearly as well as Levqauin or Factive or Rifampin.

tickbattler

Posts: 1763 | From Malvern, PA | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
What about meditation or 20 minutes of restorative yoga - it need not be a nap to give the adrenals a rest.

Hope you feel better.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
0ldman
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 22101

If I can get in a quiet spot it helps, but as soon as I get active again it gets worse.

That is one thing I have noticed. I'll start feeling a bit better, then I move and its like stirring up grounds in the bottom of a coffee cup.

Once everything settles back down, I'm ok. If I'm just a *little* active, I'm ok. If I do much more than walk 20ft, its like I get hit with a hammer.

Keebler, thanks, I do feel better. I'm doing pretty well, especially considering I've had Lymes for over 18 years. Treatment when I was a teenager was much simpler, less effective and my body was much quicker to rebound back then as well. This little bug has had a few years to find all kinds of places to hide.

--------------------
Ticks suck.

0ldman
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 22101

How tough of a critter is bart to get rid of?

Doc has me rotating between azythro 500mg once daily and doxy 100mg twice daily. I was on azythro from Sept to Feb.

--------------------
Ticks suck.

Lulu44
Member # 23420

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lulu44     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Are you saying that you body crash's like a total body crash with no energy where you cant move or function, like every bit of your energy has been sucked from your body and than that lasts for days or a mood crash?

If its the body crash I am stating above I just searched as it keeps happening to me since I have been treating bart - I also get terrible anx with my crahs's

Would be REALLY interested to know if your 'crashes' are as I explain above

Posts: 52 | From Ireland | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Lulu,

My energy lapses are (or used to be more so) as you describe (I can't call them that other "cr..." word as I don't want my brain to pick up on it). But it is near paralytic exhaustion. I tell my leg or arm to move but just can't. I suppose if a fire broke out or even the phone rang I could move but it is truly a strong force holding my body down.

After a rest, I can move again, but only after a rest. I have read of this somewhere and sure wish I had saved that link and article. There was a very good explanation for this, regarding lyme. I just don't even know where to find it.

But, I know what to do in addition to adrenal support, etc.: REST when it is needed. Pace. Don't run down my batteries. Listen to my body. When my body is in that state it is nearly a medical emergency that DEMANDS my body just stop.

HEAT makes this worse, by the way. As we move into warmer weather, it is important not to get overheated.

Also, I suggest not using the term "paralytic exhaustion" with any doctor other than a LLMD. As I could find no other way to really explain it, I've used that term with a few doctors and was labeled "hysterical" in my reaction. Ooops.
-

ping
Member # 6974

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ping     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
To Oldman: From an Oldwoman - In addition to after-lunch slumps caused by foods, like I used to experience, it could also be yeast and toxic build-up, as it was in my case. I didn't see any anti-yeast rx's in your line up there. Even with tons of probiotics, almost everyone gets yeast. Once you've got it...Well, you know the drill.

Hope you find your answers soon.

--------------------
ping
"We are more than containers for Lyme"

Posts: 1302 | From Back in TX again | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
0ldman
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 22101

Mostly, I was asking about the mood crash. It is a physical crash as well, but that part I was actually less concerned about because it made sense.

On really bad days, I actually can't reach for a glass of water, remote, etc. On your average bad day I can, it just feels like it takes as much effort to lift a remote control as it would to lift a gallon of milk. On a good day, (finding a few of those lately) I can help my father build his house, build engines, etc...

Ping, I was on nystatin 3x daily and now take fluconazole 200 3 days a week indefinitely. Could still be the issue.

Doc prescribed Lortab, and it actually prevents the complete emotional crash and helps with the physical. Could be I'm pushing too hard because the lortab makes me feel better tho...

--------------------
Ticks suck.

ping
Member # 6974

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ping     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by 0ldman:
Ping, I was on nystatin 3x daily and now take fluconazole 200 3 days a week indefinitely. Could still be the issue.

Oldman, given this information, you might want to consider asking your LLMD about a less toxic protocol, including cutting back on some supps. You could quite possibly be toxic from all the bacteria and yeast die-off; and Keebler is right about liver support... Your excretory system might need to catch up.

--------------------
ping
"We are more than containers for Lyme"

Posts: 1302 | From Back in TX again | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
0ldman
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 22101

I still have the crashes even after I've been off of everything for a week or two.

It isn't a daily thing, it was in the past. Now it happens once, maybe twice a week. It does seem dependent on activity with a 2 day lag.

Back in January I had two weeks where I felt absolutely awesome while still on the abx.

I will talk to my doc about the possibility of cutting back, but in my experience so far, it just gets worse if I miss a dose.

--------------------
Ticks suck.

elizzza811
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 24713

Icon 1 posted      Profile for elizzza811     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I totally understand your 'crashes'. Mine are similar in a lot of ways as far as frequency and duration goes. My crashes involve the inability to cry, and this eventually leads to irritability, then anger, and then a burst of emotion and painful tears...as in it is physically painful to cry because I feel so much pressure building at the base of my skull.

You may think this is silly, and that's okay, but I've noticed that emerging sunspots, coronal mass ejections, and geomagnetic storms can trigger one of these episodes in me. You might want to check these websites daily and see if this might be the trigger to yours, too. You may be surprised...

http://spaceweather.com/

http://www.swpc.noaa.gov/alerts/archive.html#2006

http://www.swpc.noaa.gov/today2.html

Posts: 495 | From USA | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
0ldman
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 22101

quote:
Originally posted by elizzza811:
as in it is physically painful to cry because I feel so much pressure building at the base of my skull.

Same thing here. Base of my skull hurts during and after, particularly worse when I get up or hang my head to look under something.

When I feel better, it is my left temple, dull pain, and roughly 3/8 an inch below my scalp, sharp needle like pain. When I don't have the crashes, I have migraines that start around the left temple area.

--------------------
Ticks suck.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement