LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » how often do you take Tindamax?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: how often do you take Tindamax?
MariaA
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 9128

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MariaA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi all,
My LLMD prescribed me Tindamax instead of Flagyl and it's working wonders. However, I didn't actually fill the prescription- I got some from another friend, so I don't have my own LLMD's directions on the bottle. I'm taking it the same way the friend was, but I'm wondering how most LLMD's prescribe it, and I don't want to call my LLMD and bother him with this question.

Do you take it pulsed or do you take it straight through and long-term?

Is it thought to protect against C Diff infection the way that Flagyl is?

Thanks.

--------------------
Symptom Free!!! Thank you all!!!!

Find me at Lymefriends, I post under the same name.
diet: http://lymefriends.ning.com/group/healthylowcarbrecipes
Homemade Probiotics thread
Herbal Links Thread

Posts: 2552 | From San Francisco | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ann in CA
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 97

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ann in CA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My combo is Tindamax (500mg twice a day, every day) and Ketek (400 twice a day). I am on it for at least three months...time between LLMD appointments, and probably longer. I had been on Flagyl a few years ago, and never wanted to do it again, so Tindamax was the alternative.

Best wishes!

Ann

Posts: 287 | From Northern California, USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lauralyme
Member # 15021

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lauralyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was RX'd it for a month only.
500mg 2X per day for 10 days
250mg 2X per day for 10 days
125mg 2X per day for 10 days

With Alinia to start after the first ten days. I'm also on mino.

--------------------
Fall down seven times, get up eight
~Japanese proverb

Posts: 1146 | From west coast | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sixgoofykids   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Do you still have the written prescription or was it called in? I would call as it can be taken many different ways.

I took it one week per month.

--------------------
sixgoofykids.blogspot.com

Posts: 13449 | From Ohio | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nefferdun
Member # 20157

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nefferdun     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was told to take it two days a week. Doesn't your doctor give you written back up instructions? If not, call the pharmacy and asked them how he called it in.

--------------------
old joke: idiopathic means the patient is pathological and the the doctor is an idiot

Posts: 4676 | From western Montana | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MariaA
Member # 9128

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MariaA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
well, he called it in, but it was a couple of months ago, and I actually asked for it in an email, so I wasn't at an appointment where I got written instructions. I'll check what the pharmacy says if they still have it on file.

Incidentally, what are you guys paying for it? I found it through this place which I've used for Rifampin and some other antibiotic in the past:

http://www.canadadrugs.com/prescription/product/Tindamax/11399/

it's actually quite cheap, I just haven't had an extra $60 to spare and someone was kind enough to give me some leftover.

--------------------

Herbal Links Thread

Posts: 2552 | From San Francisco | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MariaA
Member # 9128

I'm at this point with my LLMD where I'm exploring more hard-core combination therapy than he likes to prescribe. He's OK with it as long as he knows the research behind it (ie burrascano, etc)- he just tends to jump right to Bicillin and then IV if things aren't working for patients like myself. He's also more into supplements than I am or can afford to explore. I'm sort of forced into this combination therapy stuff by finances.

I couldn't afford the Bicillin and I assume that my problems are mostly cyst-related based on how I relapse when off drugs, so I'm kind of charting my own course based on hitting every form of the bacteria, with his approval.

I'm not doing anything too unusual (other than that I treated babesia with EVERYTHING at once- mepron+biaxin, alinia, artemesinin, and cryptolepsis).

--------------------

Herbal Links Thread

sammy
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 13952

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sammy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I took Tindamax twice daily, pulsed 3days per week.
Only stayed on it for 3mo.

Posts: 5237 | From here | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jason21
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 16393

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jason21     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I started Tindamax 500 mg and Cipro 250 mg twice daily about a month ago. I had been on other abx (doxy, zith, biaxin, flagyl, levaquin) on and off for about 18 months and got about 80-90% better.

The Tindamax Cipro combo has gotten me to about 95% so far. My sore soles stopped hurting about 2 weeks ago, which is probably the Cipro working to get rid of Bart.

Also, I just noticed yesterday that the sore spots and knots between my ribs are gone!

What is great about Tindamax is it is an antiprotozoal, an antibiotic, and an LD cyst-buster.

According to LymeMD's blog, Cipro is effective against Bart but also helps to shuttle the other abx into the cells and can raise tissue saturation to levels rivaling IV abx.

I would be 100% except I am still having some fractionated sleep issues, but not nearly as bad as before where I would wake up 4-5 times per night. I usually only wake up once per night now, take a restoril, and then sleep another 3-4 hours.

My remaining sleep issues could also be a side-effect of the Tindamax, but I will gladly trade off a full night's sleep for the benefits I have seen with Tindamax Cipro combo.

I just had a sleep study that confirmed what I already knew, which is that I am not getting sufficient stage 3 or 4 sleep and that I do not have sleep apnea.

You need deep sleep because that is when the body repairs itself. I return to the sleep doctor in a couple of weeks and will probably get Xyrem to help reset my body's sleep clock.

--------------------
Igenex WB IgM 28+, 31IND, 34IND, 41+
WB IgG 30+, 31IND,39 IND, 41++++, 58+, 83-93IND
CD57 = 56
Prob infected since 2000
Doxy, Zith, Biaxin, Flagyl, Levaquin, Tindamax, Cipro
Highly Recommended: Trigger Point Therapy Workbook by Clair Davies

Posts: 137 | From South Carolina | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CD57
Member # 11749

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CD57     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
is Tindamax effective against bart?
Posts: 3528 | From US | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
baileypup
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 22824

Icon 1 posted      Profile for baileypup     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maria,

That is a great price for tindamax from canadadrugs! I pay more than that with a co-pay.

My llmd uses the Burrascano guidelines and I take 500 mg. twice a day, no pulsing. It needs to be coupled with zithromax (600 mg.), or something like that.

Then, after a month, mepron is added.

Posts: 964 | From san diego | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seekhelp
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 15067

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seekhelp     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I BEGGED my ID doc just to do Biaxin/Plaquenil and Malarone or ART and was told no way Jose. He said his first oath in medicine was to do no harm. He said there's no literature on treating Babesia WA-1. [Frown]

quote:
Originally posted by MariaA:

I'm not doing anything too unusual (other than that I treated babesia with EVERYTHING at once- mepron+biaxin, alinia, artemesinin, and cryptolepsis).

Posts: 7545 | From The 5th Dimension - The Twilight Zone | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MariaA
Member # 9128

Frustrating. There is most certainly literature on treating b microti that way (well, with malarone, not sure about plaquenil). There's no reason to believe it'd be any different with duncani, other than that patients report it's more difficult to get rid of.

Art you can just buy yourself- you wouldlnt' be getting it from a doctor anyway. Be sure to pulse it a few days on, a few days off, because your body builds up an enzyme that gets rid of it, so taking a couple of days off is done so as to reduce levels of that enzyme (and no, it's not just an issue of taking grapefruit juice like with some other drugs whose levels you want to 'tweak'). The babesia books by He Who Shall Not Be Named gives very good info on using it and about other treatment options.

--------------------

Herbal Links Thread

MariaA
Member # 9128

Seek, do you have a real LLMD now or do you still see this ID duck?

--------------------

Herbal Links Thread

aMomWithHope
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19255

Icon 1 posted      Profile for aMomWithHope     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
500 mg twice a day two consecutive days per week--this is for a child, not sure if this would be the same protocol for an adult.
Posts: 648 | From northeast | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tick battler
Member # 21113

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tick battler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maria,
I'm curious - did you kick your babs? If so, how long did you take this protocol?
Thanks,
tickbattler

Posts: 1763 | From Malvern, PA | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MariaA
Member # 9128

oh sheesh, it's a frustrating issue. I worked on babesia for about 11 months last year and thought I had it licked. I put myself in the Success Stories forum with info on everything I did- it's useful. I stopped Bactrim DS in December, and substituted it for some other antibiotics that don't cover babesia, and all my symptoms came ROARING back at me in a month. I hadn't been in perfect health before stopping the Bactrim- they just seemed like Lyme/bartonella symptoms rather than babesia.

I fought the bugs again with heavier doses of Bactrim (not everyone can do this!) in January, Alinia, cryptolepsis in high doses, and artemesinin in standard doses, and it knocked down the wasting/anorexia/sweats/air hunger again. I'm controlling it with just Bactrim and the other Lyme drugs I'm on right now. will probably start other herbs for it again soon, I'm just changing drugs/herbs one at a time right now.

--------------------

Herbal Links Thread

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement