LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » I can get appt. with other Dr. J (in MD) in a week. Is he as good ?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: I can get appt. with other Dr. J (in MD) in a week. Is he as good ?
lymetwister
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 19590

Icon 5 posted      Profile for lymetwister     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry to post this here, but it goes with the other thread, so I don't want to offend anyone up front.

I booked an appt. with Dr. J for next week. Got lucky with the appt.

Is this a good way to go ? I don't feel like I can wait the 3-4 mos. for the Dr. J in D.C.

Appreciate your thoughts in advance,

Gary

** please use only initials and state*** hope this is the right state!?

[ 06-28-2010, 04:36 PM: Message edited by: Lymetoo ]

Posts: 1227 | From District of Columbia | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
laurisabelle222
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 16591

Icon 1 posted      Profile for laurisabelle222     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I go to him and he is fantastic- very thorough, caring, extremely intelligent and not cocky at all- willing to listen and work with you, not just tell you what to do.
Posts: 319 | From nj | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seibertneurolyme
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 6416

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seibertneurolyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
lymetwister,

I have been communicating offline with a young patient of his. Based on her experiences I think this doc might work out better for you.

The young girl was undiagnosed for about 6 months. Clinical diagnosis of Lyme, positive Wa-1 babs by Labcorp plus the mystery bacteria per Clongen bloodslide (thought to be bart).

Her primary symptom was constant headaches. Her SPECT scan showed mild hypoperfusion.

She started on Doxy only -- told to increase the dose after 1 week then again after 2 weeks. Then at 4 week follow-up added in Zith and Mepron. Has only been in treatment for about 6 weeks but has had significant improvement in headaches and other symptoms.

This doc has only been treating Lyme patients for about 3 years, but seems very willing to learn and try new meds and approaches.

I think the doc likes to try oral meds first but will prescribe IV's.

Bea Seibert

Posts: 7306 | From Martinsville,VA,USA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TF
Member # 14183

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TF     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
He is one of our local docs.

It is not uncommon at all to get an appt with him in a week. That tells you they are not beating down the doors to see him.

He has only been treating lyme as part of his practice for about 2 1/2 years, even though he has been in the area for at least 20 years. I have heard many mixed reports.

Posts: 9931 | From Maryland | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymetwister
Member # 19590

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymetwister     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Interesting........ things that make you say hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

I did hear he doesn't treat those who are out of state, so that may be the "not banging down the door thing", but I can't confirm if this is true or not.

Thanks for the info. folks,

Gary

Posts: 1227 | From District of Columbia | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gwb
Member # 7273

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gwb     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is he the same LLMD that has the http://lymemd.blogspot.com/ ?

I like reading his blog. Seems like a pretty intelligent open-minded LLMD. But I don't know anything about him other than what I read on his blog.

Gary, read his blog and I think you'll get a pretty good idea what kind of an LLMD he is.

Gary

Posts: 1349 | From OK | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
You said you heard that " he doesn't treat those who are out of state " -well, call and find out directly from their office. That will answer the question.

As for mixed reports, you can say that, as well, about patients and their commitment level to self-care or the protocol they choose. And it depends upon the complexity of each case as well as individual difference with personalty and expectations.

Study more. You might call the local support group folks. Get a survey of comments so that you have more input on your decision.

But, the most logical thing (if cost is workable) is to meet face to face so that you can get a sense of his way of working and if the two of you can work together within the scope of his methods.

I've only recently come around to his blog and this is one clear impression I get: he is very intelligent and hard-working, a good researcher and dedicated doctor who wants his patients to get better.

He may not be a huge fan of complementary methods but, then, he seems to get results. If you want to discuss what nutritional supplements are absolutely vital to help you feel better, he may be able to offer his opinion but he's not going to dwell on that or rely upon supplements to do the work of medicine.

That is just my impression. I could be mistaken. But, here's the deal. What you've been doing is not working. You need a good doctor and a new plan. At least engage in the opportunity.

Read the blog with an open mind and ready to consider a commitment to a well-thought out plan. If, after a first meeting, you think it may not be the best match for you, you may still have other options. This is for sure, though: something has to change. Good luck in being able to find the doctor who will help you make that change.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MariaA
Member # 9128

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MariaA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I called for an appointment and they tried to discourage me from coming in from out of state, same thing as Lymetwister heard. They said that they wanted people to be able to come once every few weeks or something like that.

A few months ago there was a backlog of patients there, and their answering machine said that they couldn't take on new Lyme cases. I think this might be how they handled the overload- by trying to stick with local cases only.

Last week when I called ,they WERE willing to make me an appointment, they just tried to discourage it until I told them that traveling to their area was not going to be a problem.

I'm still planning on seeing that doctor as my second opinion despite the fact that I'm pretty happy with my other LLMD.

[ 03-09-2010, 09:04 PM: Message edited by: MariaA ]

--------------------
Symptom Free!!! Thank you all!!!!

Find me at Lymefriends, I post under the same name.
diet: http://lymefriends.ning.com/group/healthylowcarbrecipes
Homemade Probiotics thread
Herbal Links Thread

Posts: 2552 | From San Francisco | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aimee
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 20946

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aimee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gary,

This is my doctor - he treats my entire family for Lyme and co. He is making us well. We travel out of state to see him, so at least I can answer that question for you!

He also takes several types of insurance, not ours unfortunately,but maybe yours!

We have been extremely pleased with the care we have received, I would recommend taking the appointment.

Posts: 239 | From Virginia | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
joysie
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11063

Icon 1 posted      Profile for joysie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There are specific folks on this board who have very strong opinions about our local docs. I have seen both TFs doc and this one. We had very different experiences, and thus different opinions. I hope this means there is someone for everyone.
This one has helped me and shown a commitment to long term help if needed.
Kris

Posts: 520 | From Maryland | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymetwister
Member # 19590

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymetwister     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you all so much once again. I did make the appointment earlier and I will keep it after hearing all of this.

Gary

seekhelp
Member # 15067

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seekhelp     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am so glad you brought this thread up Gary. I really need to know the level of seriousness this doc has in not seeing out of state patients. I also need to know bare minimum length of time between visits. The despise of out-of-state patients must be a MD LLMD thing. lol.

I admit I was a bit ****ed when the office seemed to intentionally push out-of-state patients to the side and wouldn't give me a straight reply.

I need to know is it once a month period. Once every two months? The one absolute is NO PHONE CONSULTS. One person told me once every three months before. I'm wondering if he's in fear of state medical boards and requiring more frequent visits to CYA (really CHA).

Please PM me if someone can shed light.

All I care about it open mindedness and willingness to learn and treat appropriately. Endless experience means little if you can't pull a trigger. The collective experience is here already.

I've seen neither doc, but if my life was on the line, I'd probably go with Dr. J based on his vast experience. Your case sounds super complicated. Actually, I'd scrap them all and see the best on the planet Dr. H in NY, unless you can convince Dr. B to come out of retirement with $100,000. [Smile]

Posts: 7545 | From The 5th Dimension - The Twilight Zone | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MariaA
Member # 9128

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MariaA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think they told me once a month, but I don't remember. Call them again in the morning.

--------------------

Herbal Links Thread

Posts: 2552 | From San Francisco | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MariaA
Member # 9128

incidentally, I considered Dr H and the famous Dr J (who at the time was closer to me) but a)LymeMD is cheaper and quicker to get an appointment with 2)I like the fact that I already know a lot about his general philosophy and the fact that he seems quite sharp about analyzing tests and so forth. My LLMD called him with legal advice at some point and has a very high opinion of him after the interactions etc. He fully supports me getting 'a second opinion' from LymeMD even though their treatment philosophies are almost diametrically opposed (mine's one of the more holistic ones, trained with Klinghardt, etc).

I've been sick for about 2 years this time around ,was reinfected the same month he'd started the blog- I think he'd been treating Lyme patients about 2 years at least by then. So I think he's been at this a while- no where near as long as Dr H and certainly not Dr J, but 4 years is a reasonable amount of time to see the outcome of some of the long-term antibiotics cases.

--------------------

Herbal Links Thread

feelfit
Member # 12770

Icon 1 posted      Profile for feelfit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
said it before, will say it again, this doc rocks! I think that he would be a perfect fit for you Gary.

He is passionate about treating this disease and that means everything in my book!

feelfit

Posts: 3975 | From usa | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Erica741
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15186

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Erica741     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
LymeMD Dr. J has been treating Lyme for 3-4 years correct? What did he do before?
Posts: 408 | From California | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seekhelp
Member # 15067

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seekhelp     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think he either sold used cars or was a personal proofreader for Gary Wormser to ensure accurate publications were released . KIDDING. I heard he was a Family Medicine doc treating regular (non-TBI) stuff for 20+ years.

quote:
Originally posted by Erica741:
LymeMD Dr. J has been treating Lyme for 3-4 years correct? What did he do before?

Posts: 7545 | From The 5th Dimension - The Twilight Zone | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TF
Member # 14183

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TF     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
LymeMD Dr. J is STILL a doctor practicing regular medicine just as he always has for over 20 years. But, for the last 2 1/2 years he has also been taking some lyme patients.

People only found out he was now treating lyme due to his lyme blog.

Posts: 9931 | From Maryland | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MurphyNC
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15275

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MurphyNC     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can only give you my opinion which is a first hand one...so I hope I'm helpful.

I would beat down the door to see him.

I'm an out-of-state patient of his and extremely happy I was under his care. This Dr has literally brought my health back to a point prior to me getting bitten and sick, 3 yrs ago.

It isn't difficult to get an appt with him and to be honest, his office is beyond unimpressive (and I'm being kind [Smile] but a 3 month waitlist isn't the official prerequisite to being an excellent LLMD.

I chose to see him after my husband and I spent an entire weekend combing through his blog.

We like the way he approaches this disease, with a very scientific mind, wanting to heal patients and learn. He's intelligent, lacks arrogance (an anomaly in Physicians, I know) and has managed to saturated himself professionally in this disease.

I trusted him and I'm glad I did. I'll be forever grateful for the dedication he gave to me and my care.

I personally know several Lyme patients that see him currently and are getting well. Initially, I was referred to him from one of his successful patients. Results spoke volumes to me.

I hope this helps!

Best,
Murphy NC

Posts: 108 | From Raleigh, NC | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seekhelp
Member # 15067

He sounds like a winner to me based on feedback I hear. Docs can become pros fast on a subspecialty if they really care I believe. Him needing to write these well-though blog entries even moreso increases his knowledge/perspective relative to these LLMDs who become statisticians.
Keebler
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
I think it's a good idea when seeing any new doctor to just listen to them. Let him ask the questions at first.

As hard as it may be to NOT go in with preconceived ideas of what infection causes what symptoms or what stage of this or that you are at - or what order you have to do things . . . .

If you already know the doctor has knowledge just let him do his job. Relax. Participate but give him the space to talk, listen to you and think. The more we can drop the business in our minds and listen to exactly what they say, the better our chances of their work actually working for us.

It may take a little while to figure out each communication styles but it is so important to give their plan a chance. You've already got good background on him and I'm saying all this because most of us who have had to do this on our own for so long just do way too much stuff that can get in the way.

To clear the desk, wipe the slate clean and just start over, following an exact plan . . . can be very freeing.

Of course, I'd never say this for any doctor whose reputation has not been considered first. In this case, although he may have his own methods, even as fond of herbal medicine as I am (or have been forced to be as my only option) . . . were I able to see him, I would certainly consider just starting over.

I'd ask about using a few key supplements (mainly because I also have porphyria) but to have a doctor who actually could address the infections - well, Gary, that would be absolutely wonderful.

I hope you can just let go, free yourself of previous ties and trust this process. Best of luck.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
janice victorov
Member # 22937

Icon 1 posted      Profile for janice victorov     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi all,
have an appt with him on Monday morning. Does he really heal people? I'm so discouraged with my LLMD just because went there today and felt horrible and he thinks my sympotms maybe yeast related.

My fiance even gave me the money to see Dr. J Monday.

What other good things can you tell me about him?

I'm catioulsly optimistic about him.

--------------------
jkv44

Posts: 1247 | From virginia | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seekhelp
Member # 15067

Wow, this LLMD is becoming big time with his blog. Drumming up tons of clients! :
joysie
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11063

Icon 1 posted      Profile for joysie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Murphy described it well, from the office to the doctor. The office description is VERY kind, by the way. But worth it, to me. He has helped me, and he helped my daughter. Not for everyone, but who is?
Take care
Kris

Posts: 520 | From Maryland | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Janice,

In all fairness, yeast issues can cause a tremendous number of problems. Some fungal infections can even be fatal. No one can escape the need to be very mindful of candida and other yeast issues when on abx tx.

Good luck, though, whatever path you settle on.
-

momof1sickboy
Member # 17413

Icon 1 posted      Profile for momof1sickboy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello everyone,
I was treated by Dr. J in MD in May of 2008.
I knew I had Lyme because my son got it 4 years befor me. I was treated for 3 months and I've been fine ever since. This Dr. also treated my step brother for about 1 year. He was misdiagnosed by several Dr.s. Dr. J was the only one to correctly diagnose him and succesfully treat him.
Now, to make a long story short...
my 14 year old son was being treated by another more expensive Dr. that I thought knew what he was doing. I couldn't afford this "other Dr." so I went to Dr. J who was on my insurance plan and who I thought was not as experienced as the "other Dr."....I was soooooo wrong.

We moved from MD to NC just after I was treated.
My son was still with his "other Dr."
This "other Dr." shortly after our move said he could not treat my son any longer since he didn't know what else to do to make him better.

My son is now a patient of Dr. J in MD.
In less then 3 months my sons constant 6 year headache has gone from a pain threshold of 7 down to a 3 and his joints, dizzy spells etc... has improved tremendously.

Dr. J is a God sent to me and my family.
His office staff is a little off at times and Dr. J is very different in many ways but he is a genious in the medical field.

Oh, and my son and I travel to MD from NC every 8 weeks. A 4 1/2 hour trip. Dr. J will only treat you if he can see you.

I hope all of this has helped.
(I wish this had Spell Check!!)

God Bless [Smile]

--------------------
my son has been sick since Feb 2004, two weeks after his 8th Birthday.
He's a trooper!

Posts: 2 | From holly springs north carolina | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
janice victorov
Member # 22937

Icon 1 posted      Profile for janice victorov     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm going this mornning to Dr. J and can't wait. I'm a little scared since have been under another LLMD until now.

What should I expect with my first visit with him?

HELP!!!!

--------------------
jkv44

Posts: 1247 | From virginia | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RZR
Member # 20953

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RZR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Anyone heard updates from Janice or Gary after appointments?

--------------------
Tick bite May 2009
Diagnosed June 2009

Posts: 2329 | From SouthEast | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wonko
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18318

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wonko     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like his blog and went to see him for a second take on my situation. He did not give me reason to return, and I continue under the care of my original LLMD.
Posts: 455 | From Was in PA, then MD, now in the Midwest | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
janice victorov
Member # 22937

Hi.
My visit went well. I'm changing doctors. He was upfront, honest and seemed knowledgable about lyme and how to treat it.

He said he could help me.

--------------------
jkv44

seekhelp
Member # 15067

I want to see him. He sounds A W E S O M E
MariaA
Member # 9128

I'm trying to line up my resources to go see him- is there anyone from North Carolina or southern Virginia who would be interested in carpooling (not in my car)- I have a thread in General about this:
http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php/topic/3/24227

I called the office today, they have appointments open pretty soon, so it probably wouldn't be too difficult to get two of us in in one day (I didn't ask them that).

--------------------

Herbal Links Thread

janice victorov
Member # 22937

He's worth going to see. It's hard making a change from my current doctor. Just because for the past seven months been used to his style.

Dr. J is much more conventional vs: alternative like my current one.

Dr. J seems to believe I have babs as well. I don't know why my current one couldn't diagnose that. I would be so much further along if he had.

Janice

--------------------
jkv44

mjbucuk
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 843

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mjbucuk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
any chance this doctor would see someone from TX? I don't suppose they have Saturday appointments do they?
Posts: 758 | From now TX | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
eightybarb
Member # 24968

Icon 1 posted      Profile for eightybarb     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
mjbucuk,
As far as I know they don't open on Saturdays and they close at 2.00PM on Fridays. You can call them and ask if they take out of state patients.

Posts: 96 | From Germantown | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
17hens
Member # 23747

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 17hens     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
mjbucuk,

are you asking about saturday appts because you're thinking about sat. night stays for a cheaper flight?

I am about 2 1/2 hours away from germantown, but I can very likely provide a room for you (our house or my parents' or a friend's) if that would make it possible for you to see this doc.

--------------------
"My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever." Psalms 73:26

bit 4/09, diagnosed 1/10

Posts: 3043 | From PA | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mjbucuk
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 843

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mjbucuk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
thank you for the offer 17hens. Very generous. My parents house is in Camp Hill so I could stay there (they both passed away last summer) but it would be easier to just get a hotel closer to the doctor.

I was just wondering how I when I would travel... when you fly you really need to allow a minimun of 2 days travel time {up and back)from TX. I have taken so much time off from work due to doctor visits for me and the kids, and due to not feeling well, and due to my parents deaths........ I am nervous about taking much more time than I have to.

Posts: 758 | From now TX | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
triathletelymie
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 26456

Icon 1 posted      Profile for triathletelymie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
up

--------------------
? date of bite/no rash
10/09 symptoms, 4/10 diagnosed, after 6 mos. ER visits, tons of docs/tests
CDC+ 23/39/41/45/58/66/93
currently on oral plaquenil, doryx, rifampin, pyrazinamide, nystatin, numerous supplements

Posts: 718 | From Pennsylvania | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement