LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Driving While Under AntibioticTreatment

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Driving While Under AntibioticTreatment
Ian
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 24637

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ian     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I will be beginning treatment soon with Dr. M in the Philly area. I am a student in Philly without a car so it is difficult for me to get to him. My mom is flying up today, and she will rent a car and take me to see him. I will need to see him a number of times in the future though, and I am not sure how I should get there.

The best option would be for my mom to bring my car up from TN to me. I then could drive to see my LLMD when I need to. It is very difficult to get to him without a car. The problem, though, is that I am not sure that I will be fit to drive. I have been infected for about 13 years. I have been told by many on this site and also by the LLMD's secretaries that I will suffer greatly while on abx for at least a couple of months.

I am not sure if I will be getting IV or not, but I hear that he does do IV, and I have been infected for a long time. My guess is that I will get some IV, at least at the beginning. What is your experience with the debilitation of the Herx reactions when starting treatment, whether on oral or IV? Do you think I would be able to drive to see my LLMD? I could probably get someone to drive me the first couple of times. Would I be able to drive myself after a month or two?

Thanks in advance for your advice.

--------------------
Bart and Babesia seropositive
Current tx: Rifampin, Biaxin, Bactrim DS, Artemisinin, Resveratrol (japanese knotweed), Red Root, Boneset

Posts: 168 | From PA | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ladycakes
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 12619

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ladycakes   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I imagine it's different for different people, what you feel you can handle.

My LLMD is about 3 hours away, and I couldn't drive myself. I just got too tired, and when I'm tired I'm unfocused and shouldn't be driving. Lucky for me, my parents and husband switched off driving me there.

I had been sick about 6 years before I finally got diagnosed. I did 6 months on oral antibiotics, then 3 IV, then 6 more on orals. After the IV, I felt SO much better, and was able to drive myself.

Personally, my herx reactions weren't really all that bad, but I seem to be in the minority on that one.

Posts: 306 | From Brownsville, PA | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WildCondor
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would get your car, then see how you do. Atleast then you will have the option of driving yourself if you need too. Driving also gives you the personal freedom! You might be able to find a Lyme buddy on here, or other Lyme sites who loves near you and can help. Just ask around. [Smile]
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
I'm glad to see your level of responsibility in this important matter by even asking the questions.

Create a support circle all around you. As a student, you might ask various friends and organizations. There may already be something like this in place for others.

Driving is one of the most complex tasks. It is best, especially since you don't regularly drive, to see what you can do about finding a a mobile support team.

You may be able to use your own car, but you would first have to check with your insurance company about other drivers, especially regarding the age of the driver.

You might first, talk to the activities or volunteer services director at your school, area churches or temples, synagogues, etc. Even if you are not a member of any particular congregation, many churches still like to help - just to help.

You'd need to do this in somewhat of an organized manner. You'd want drivers who take care of themselves, have a good driving record and insurance.

You'd need to see the documents, so devise a smooth system and a low-key explanation for that in advance, one that is the same for everyone you screen. You know, the "oh, it's not YOU, speech, but some people DO drive without documents" - or a similar comment so they know it's not personal but protection.

You'd also want AAA or another road-side service so that if the car breaks down, you don't have to walk or pay a fortune for a tow.

Last I checked, you can get a AAA card for yourself, to cover whatever vehicle you would be in. That would be best.

Also, I'd suggest for the ever-so-important LLMD appointments to schedule TWO drivers to go with you. If one has to bail, you have a back-up. If two go, they it can be more fun but you get to control the music and where you stop to eat as your health is "driving the trip" if not the car.

If you can, it's an excellent gesture to buy their meal during the trip or after (or give them money if they go off on their own). But I also like to make sure drivers have good food in them BEFORE a journey, too. So many people don't eat and that's not a good thing in a driver.

Covering the cost of gas plus a little extra for the car maintenance fund is expected. Some really need this; others will tell you to just keep it.

I will say that the typical IRS mileage reimbursement can be just over the top for long trips. You need to find those who can do this for just the gas and a reasonable amount over. Be very clear before you proceed. You are talking about basic volunteering but just want to cover their gas costs.

MADD?

I'd bet even your local chapter of MADD would help out with some volunteers. Mother against drunk driving would also be against driving under any circumstances that impaired, and that counts illness. Look up your local chapter and call them.

If you question whether you will be fit to drive, you probably will be better not doing so. Stay safe. Take care.

--------------

As lyme often caused vestibular symptoms but some that people try to just brush aside - and some meds can even increase these symptoms for a while (especially zith, mino and biaxin) . . . take a look at this list and if you have symptoms here, that would make driving even more difficult and anytime the inner ear is wobbly, the eyes, the brain, the reaction time - well, all bets are off.

Ginger capsules can help but avoiding driving is best if you have any of this stuff going on:

http://www.vestibular.org/vestibular-disorders/symptoms.php

VESTIBULAR SYMPTOMS

==================

In addition to common vestibular (inner ear/ middle ear/ balance), nausea, severe fatigue hitting just out of nowhere and just overall sensitivity to stimuli: motion, light, sound, business in general - all this should be considered.

You said others said you may suffer during treatment, well, uhhh, (she says very softy) yes. I often just use the terms, no picnic or no walk in the park - to put it mildly.

But I wanted to mention the importance of LIVER support and ADRENAL support and GOOD FOOD. Self-care is as important as Rx and you need it all - so that you can get that bounce back into your step and have a good life.

Good luck with your treatment plan. Take excellent care of yourself every step along the way.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LightAtTheEnd
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 24065

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LightAtTheEnd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My symptoms have not been terribly debilitating, but even a moderate amount of fatigue would make it dangerous or impossible for me to drive a long way.

Nevertheless, I have been lucky. The two long trips I have made to my LLMD so far, I happened to be feeling very well those particular days, and have not had any trouble driving.

I have to drive about 9 hours each way to see my LLMD, which I split up so that I don't do more than 6 in one day. Costs me in hotels and vacation days, but I think it is safer not to push myself too hard.

I know it is a risk, that I could get sick while on the road and get stranded somewhere, but I don't know what else to do. The only direct way there is by car.

If my symptoms were very bad right before time to leave, I suppose I would have to either postpone the appointment or find someone to drive me there and back.

I definitely think it is safer and less exhausting to arrange for someone to drive you if you can. If not, maybe you could take a bus or train, and then a taxi after you get there.

If those won't work, get your car and wait and see how you feel and whether you think it is safe for you. Maybe you will be lucky to have good days when you need them.

Good luck!

--------------------
Don't forget to laugh! And when you're going through hell, keep going!

Bitten 5/25/2009 in Perry County, Indiana. Diagnosed by LLMD 12/2/2009.

Posts: 756 | From Inside the tunnel | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ian
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 24637

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ian     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My LLMD is only 25 minutes from where I live, and the directions are not very difficult. I will take your advice and get my car up here, then judge how I feel. Right now I feel like I would be too foggy to drive safely, but I can get someone to take me the first few months. If the treatment clears up some of the fog then I will begin to drive myself.

My mom wants me to come back to TN and live with her during my treatment. Then we would fly up each month and she would rent a car and take me to my LLMD. I don't think this is a good option. I want to be as close to my LLMD as possible while I am treated. If I continue to live near him then if I feel truly awful and need to see him I can have someone drive me. If I am in TN then I don't have that option.

I also feel that flying each month would be even more tiring than driving one hour round trip each month. What do you guys think? Do you think I should stay close to my LLMD or stay with my mom and then commute by plane?

--------------------
Current tx: Rifampin, Biaxin, Bactrim DS, Artemisinin, Resveratrol (japanese knotweed), Red Root, Boneset

Posts: 168 | From PA | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
You'll have to give that some thought. There are many things to consider not just the driving for appointments.

I do think you are right about flying. Flying is very difficult and stressful, making it all so much harder as lyme really takes over when the body is stressed. And you need all your energy to be strong in the fight, a flight will just take away from that.

You could just fly your mom up ever so often, but I'd still want a back-up driving volunteer, just in case. These LLMD appointments are so hard to get that if someone gets ill, you don't want to have to wait another several months to see the doctor.

Also, remember the BACK ROADS. Find all possible routes for the easier ones.

You will likely have better access to support care where you are, with several LLMDs around and some LL NDs (naturopathic doctors), too. There are just more in your area than in TN (sad as it is there are just too few LL doctors in all states, though).
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ian
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 24637

Thanks Keebler. You are certainly right about there being more support care in PA. There is only one LLMD in TN to my knowledge, and he usually doesn't prescribe abx. [Frown]

I am a senior (on medical leave) and most of my friends are graduating seniors, but I should have at least a couple of close friends in Philly over the summer. I should always have a volunteer in case I feel that I should not drive myself to my LLMD.

The fastest route is on a highway, but perhaps I should stick to slower roads? I can take a slower, less busy route that takes 36 minutes according to Google Maps.

My mom will probably not be happy about me staying in Philly, but I need to do what's best for me, and I think staying close to my doctor and other Lyme-aware professionals is what's best.

--------------------

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
I'm sure you are taking good care of yourself but I remember all too well my college days, and alcohol was no stranger. Even then, I was ill and had learned just not to drink. It worked for me then and I hope that is working for you.

Also, be sure to establish good sleep and eating habits. It takes work. You may have all the bases covered but, just in case that's all not together yet, it really matters.

Take excellent care of every cell of your body. And, for your spirit, a nice restorative yoga class, QiGong or Tai Chi may be nice.
-

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement