LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Fluid/Pressure in ears

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Fluid/Pressure in ears
Buster
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19472

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Buster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have had fluid in my ears for a long time... about half a year after I got ill with all my lyme related stuff.

I have:

pressure/fullness
hearing sensitivity
clicking in ears when I swallow or move my jaw
a little off balance

Does this sound like environmental allergies? If not, what else?

Posts: 458 | From Miss | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
maritzap
Member # 11146

Icon 1 posted      Profile for maritzap     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ear candling really helps remove wax build up and reieve pressure. YOu need to find someone to help you with this, but you can get ear candling kit from most health food stores. Some spa centers will offer this service also.
I think it has to do with toxins and die off since we have to have my daughter's ears candled every 3-4 months. It is very helpful for her.

Posts: 75 | From San Diego, CA | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
map1131
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 2022

Icon 1 posted      Profile for map1131     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My brother and his wife did a test on ear candling kit. They did one ear on son and were amazed what they thought came out of his ear?

They tried to do his other ear and for some reason all they got was a teenager with smoke coming out of his ear. OMG, put out the fire.

That made them suspicious so they decided to burn a candle without an ear. Amazing the exact same ear wax looking stuff was there at the end.

That candle wax burns into a nasty looking glob of ear wax. Save your money.

Pam

--------------------
"Never, never, never, never, never give up" Winston Churchill

Posts: 6478 | From Louisville, Ky | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
maritzap
Member # 11146

Icon 1 posted      Profile for maritzap     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not sure if your brother did the correct thing, since ear candling does not involve "candles"
It is an herbal infused paper like cone that is inserted into the ear on the narrow end and then burned at the wide end. A vacuum is created when the wide end is lit, and it draws the wax out.
Maybe they should get correct info before experimenting on their children

Posts: 75 | From San Diego, CA | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wonko
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18318

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wonko     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've had the the above listed ear problems. My LLMD attributes them to Bartonella, which he claims can cause ear infection-like symptoms and problems.

Prior to my diagnosis, for years, I was subject to ear problems that would flare maybe 3-4 times per year.

About 1/2 the time my Dr. would say it was an infection and give me abx, while other times they would just shrug their shoulders and say they weren't sure what was wrong.

It was not clear why I was getting these supposed ear infections so often, as usually only little kids with eustation tubes still adjusting during growth are subject to such things.

In retrospect, I think it always was my tick-born infections, which were relatively quiet for years, occasionally causing the ear problems.

Being mistakenly dx'ed with ear infections and given abx probably helped keep my Lyme and co. under the radar.

With time and treatment, my ears are doing better now.

Posts: 455 | From Was in PA, then MD, now in the Midwest | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
map1131
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 2022

Icon 1 posted      Profile for map1131     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
martizap, that's exactly the description of the thing my brother was using. I invisioned the candle part.

The herbal paper cone melts down and looks like nasty ear wax. Their experience, their truth.

Pam

--------------------
"Never, never, never, never, never give up" Winston Churchill

Posts: 6478 | From Louisville, Ky | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kastroo
Member # 22825

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kastroo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
took Mucinex 1200mg daily for a week, ear problems went away [Smile]
Posts: 67 | From New York | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kstolebarger
Member # 24867

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kstolebarger   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We believe I have Lymes..... will be getting tested by Igenex in a couple weeks.

I had recurring ear infections growing up as a child as well as chronic bronchitis.

I also had a cholesteatoma in my left ear. Has anyone here with lymes ever had a cholesteatoma? I'm wondering if there is some sort of relation?

Posts: 7 | From Coeur d' Alene, Idaho | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
It's good to have an ear doctor first look into your ears. I've had a professional do the ear candles on me and they helped, but not enough. I had to then have that ear doctor use a suction tool to remove ear wax that had gotten stuck.

I will never have it done again, though. I had used way too many ear drops, way too often and created the mess for myself over time.

Ear candles are controversial but, if done correctly and with excellent guidance and under the two sets of watchful eyes, they may help. But, if a wrong move is made disaster can follow both for the ear but also regarding fire.

You should first have this done by a professional for proper instruction. NEVER do on one's self. And always have fire extinguishing materials nearby.
------------

Mucinex PLAIN - is an excellent choice for short term help to help thin mucous and phlegm in the sinuses and reduce pressure in the ears. Take with lots of water and continue drinking lots of water when on this.

You can also ask the pharmacist for plain Guaifenesin and it may cost less.

As you'd just want to read more about anything you'd put into your body, here's a basic definition:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guaifenesin

====================

http://www.mucinex.com/html/

You can see the different kinds of MUCINEX

You want PLAIN Mucinex, just guaifenesin, nothing added (unless you also have a cough). As the pharmacist to be sure.

AVOID: Mucinex D contains: guaifenesin and pseudoephedrine

You do NOT want Mucinex D because the pseudoephedrine can just trash the adrenals, trigger anxiety and irritation for any lyme patient - and it can trigger heart rhythm problems. Lyme patients must avoid even a trace of pseudoephedrine.

I've used this one for coughs, short term:

Mucinex DM Active Ingredients: dextromethorphan, guaifenesin

Dextromethorphan (DXM or DM) is an antitussive (cough suppressant) drug.

More about that:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dextromethorphan

Dextromethorphan

======================

Avoid GLUTEN, DAIRY, CORN, SOY

Best, too, is a diet free of: gluten (wheat, rye, barley, spelt), corn, dairy, soy will help reduce inflammation. Most LLMDs want their paitents to be free of gluten and dairy, anyway. And corn often makes ears swell.

TURMERIC or CURCUMIN should also help reduce swelling as will MAGNESIUM

------------------
All about EARS:
------------------

For those who are sensitive or pained by even normal or soft sounds (sounds not even at noise level):

www.hyperacusis.net

HYPERACUSIS NETWORK

=============

Ringing, hissing, roaring, pulsating sounds or sensations in the ears:

www.ata.org

AMERICAN TINNITUS ASSOCIATION

==============

www.vestibular.org

VESTIBULAR DISORDERS ASSOCIATION

-----

http://www.vestibular.org/vestibular-disorders/symptoms.php

VESTIBULAR SYMPTOMS

=====================

Specific for LYME patients - lots of details about ears and what can help:

3/4 of the way down page one, there are lots of LIVER LINKS:

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=065801

Topic: TINNITUS: Ringing Between The Ears; Vestibular, Balance, Hearing with compiled links - including HYPERACUSIS

================

http://tinyurl.com/yhdw78n (through Amazon)

You can look inside this book and read customer reviews here:

Ototoxic Drugs Exposed: Prescription Drugs and Other Chemicals That Can (and Do) Damage Our Ears

- by Neil G. Bauman

-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement