LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » How bad is it likely to get when I switch to Bicillin?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: How bad is it likely to get when I switch to Bicillin?
psr1
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 22957

Icon 1 posted      Profile for psr1   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have done a search to see what people say about Bicillin - how bad the herxes are, so I am prepared for them to be significant. My question has to do with how bad they are likely to be compared to my herxes in the summer on zith and mepron. I had chills, seizure like episodes, and neuropathic pain so bad I was bedridden for about a month. Am I likely to get that sick again? Since that time I have gotten to about 75% on Ceftin: I am working and have good energy most days. Still lingering is anxiety, some fatigue, and neuropathic pain (although it is not bad anymore.) LLMD wants to switch to Bicillin - in combo with some not-yet-speficied meds - because he feels I have plateaued on current med. Any input appreciated: I am very scared.
Posts: 360 | From New York | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hoosiers51
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 15759

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hoosiers51     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you have gotten to about 75% on Ceftin, hopefully it won't be too bad. But it is hard to know.

I had done lots of Lyme treatment before Bicillin. For me, it did hit me, but it was moreso just some significant fatigue for about 3-4 months, then it started getting a better slowly. Some people don't see improvement until the 7-9th months though, so be aware of that.

But I do not think you will be herxing miserably that whole time. You may get an increase in your pain. Some people do get herxes like the one girl on Under Our Skin got from Bicillin, where you are shaking and rocking back and forth. But that is rare from what I gather, so I doubt it will happen to you that badly.

I am a big fan of Bicillin....lots of people credit it with getting them better. I think you will be okay. Best of luck!

Posts: 4590 | From Midwest | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
psr1
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 22957

Icon 1 posted      Profile for psr1   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Hoosiers. When I was so sick I was seeing another doc (LLMD) who never talked about detox and only reluctantly returned my calls: current guys are wonderful and that inspires hope: I know 7 months is not really a long time in Lymeland but I am sick of it, and depressed about the prospect of more of it - even when I am not in physical pain.
Posts: 360 | From New York | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymebytes
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 11830

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymebytes   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I herx hard and fast and Bicillin wasn't like that for me.

I actually felt really good the first month and then the herx hit. It was no worse than any other herx, about the same.

Give Bicillin 6-12 months to see improvement. It was the abx that got my son well.

--------------------
www.truthaboutlymedisease.com

Posts: 2003 | From endemic area | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Caseyk
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 23404

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Caseyk   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I guess I am one of the rare ones! I herx badly from bicillin, it is exactly like the girl from Under our Skin, it is awful. My pain has defiantly increased and I am stuck in bed more but I know that in the end it will be worth it. I try to keep in my mind that it is a god thing it is so bad because I know it is killing the bugs. I have a video on Youtube that shows one of my herxs. I end up not being able to control my body. I pray that it wont be bad for you. Take care and good luck

--------------------
Casey
1/7/10-Diagnosed with Lyme but got it in July 2008 and possibly 15 plus years ago
http://www.crazylyme.com

Posts: 105 | From Aubrey, Texas | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jasek
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 12395

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jasek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have been on so many different abx. I have also been on and off bi-cillin. I love the bi-cillin. Never had a bad herx and it works the best for me. Don't be afraid, be positive this could be the answer you have been looking for. Good Luck Jasek
Posts: 161 | From midwest | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
psr1
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 22957

Hi all:
Casey I watched your video: I hope you are feeling better now? It looks as if people are mostly happy with Bicillin (not that I really have a choice.) I am starting up Plaquinil as well (on day two) and finding it makes me tired and a bit nauseous, but seems to help with my pain (which is not joint but nerve.)
Casey, were you very sick before you started treating?
Best,
Pam

Caseyk
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 23404

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Caseyk   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes I have been practically bedridden for 18 months or so. In so much pain and very weak. I didn't get diagnosed until this past Jan. My LLMD said I should expect things to be bad because I have a bad case of Lyme or it is affecting me badly. I am happy with the bicillin because I have had a few days inbetween shots that I have been able to get out of bed, I didnt have that before starting the shots.

--------------------
Casey
1/7/10-Diagnosed with Lyme but got it in July 2008 and possibly 15 plus years ago
http://www.crazylyme.com

Posts: 105 | From Aubrey, Texas | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jbiology
Member # 15839

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jbiology     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bicillin did not do much for me. I have been treating my lyme on and off since 2005, mostly with oral antibiotics. I tried the bicillin shots this fall and other than a little fatigue had no noticable sign it was doing anything.

I just got approved to try the IV, I'm hoping that works. My neurological symptoms have gotten signficantly worse in the past month or two.

--------------------
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.+++
Diagnosed with Lyme in 2005. Suffered for years before that. Still treating/fighting it.
Son diagnosed with Lyme and Babesia in 2007. Son diagnosed with Asperger's in 2011.

Posts: 40 | From Maryland | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
psr1
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 22957

How long were you taking the shots? And what are your neuro symptoms?

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement