LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Lyme disease and the heart

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Lyme disease and the heart
Skinny Luigi
Member # 21839

Icon 2 posted      Profile for Skinny Luigi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello, I was wondering what effects Lyme disease has on the heart, and what to do about it?

I come from a family of people with strong hearts, but I notice that my resting heart beat is rather high.

The lowest I've measured it to be in the last couple years is 61, but it usually hovers around 70-75 .... And I'm a 26 year old male!

Does this mean Lyme disease has weakened my heart? I eat really well and exercise regularly enough. I'm thinking of taking up a fairly hefty (but totally reasonable) jogging or biking regime to strengthen my heart.
Anyone have any experience with this? I'm looking for recommendations [Smile]

Also, am I worrying too much about it? Just how bad is a heart rate of 70-75 for a fit ( = not overweight) 26 year old male? I don't recall my heart rate before I got Lyme disease so I have no point of comparison.

Thanks!

Posts: 18 | From Canada | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jasek
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 12395

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jasek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That is about the only part of my body that's not affected,but I'm sure you will get some good advice. One thing, even though excercise is a nessesity there seems to be an invisable line a lot of us cross. We have a good day so we push it and next thing you know is your down. Took me a long time to learn my invisible line, and I still managed to cross it last week and was down two days. Good Luck, Jasek
Posts: 161 | From midwest | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lemon-Lyme
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19229

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lemon-Lyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A resting heart rate of 70-75 is perfectly normal. And if you still have Lyme and are sickly, just having an infection may temporarily raise your HR on bad days.

And everyone is different too... some people have a higher than average resting HR, and that is normal for them.

Lyme most likely did weaken my heart, by the way, and my resting pulse used to sometimes get into the 90s. But even then, although higher than normal, it's not in tachycardia range. The way to check if Lyme weakened your heart is to get an echocardiogram and EKG. Echo is the one which will show how strong your heart muscle is.

Posts: 584 | From NY | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Skinny Luigi
Member # 21839

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Skinny Luigi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you everyone for a couple relieving answers. I know I'm straying from the specific topic of Lyme disease, but whats the best exercise for strengthening your heart?

Also, I know palpitations are a symptom of Lyme disease, but how concerned should I be when that happens? It tends to happen when I'm nervous or stressed.. I know it might happen to everyone a bit, but it tends to take all day to go away, and it can get pretty high (90bpm, etc)

Also, by "stressed", I mean even little things.. Like when I have five errands to run on a particular day or something.

At least my energy levels have come up a bit lately, so I can muster the will to actually exercise. It feels really good, like an upwards spiral [Smile]

Posts: 18 | From Canada | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lemon-Lyme
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19229

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lemon-Lyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You can ask your doctor for a holter test to check for palpitations. It's just a little device they attach to you and you wear it for a day. It'll measure any palpitations you get.

Most of the time they are harmless.

I think your best bet is to simply mention your concerns to your doctor and ask for some basic heart tests, like the ones I mentioned. Based on symptoms, I'd guess they are just normal Lyme stuff... but for peace of mind you can have your doc check you out.

Posts: 584 | From NY | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ott70
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18237

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ott70     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Although, be somewhat cautious in telling your doctor/cardiologist that Lyme may be causing heart issues for you. Most docs will roll their eyes unless you trust them to believe your opinion and they are open-minded. I am also assuming you don;t have an "official" Lyme diagnosis.

Lyme and co-infections cause neurotoxins to be released. Those toxins can travel anywhere in the body and cause symptoms. I have heart symptoms and the belief is the toxins irritate my heart muscle and give me pain and skips.

I have had all of the heart tests and checked out fine, but I still have skips and pain and shortness of breath. I don't get tachycardia too often, but an infection will definitely cause it.

Consider the link between gum disease and heart disease. Gum disease is bacteria releasing into your bloodstream and then possibly affecting your heart. Doctors and dentists will say that the bacteria is causing artery blockage, but it's conceivable that the muscle of the heart is also being irritated from the bacteria and any toxins they release.

Echocardiogram is a good way to go for heart strength. All three of mine have passed over the last two years, but I never have an echo on the days I'm feeling symptoms.

Holter test is good to for the palpitations and skips (PAC's / PVC's). My holter recorded a few PAC's, but nothing that alarmed my cardiologist since my other heart tests checked out.

Posts: 194 | From Colorado | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I only WISH my heart rate was in the 70's!!! I've had tachycardia for about 10 yrs now and I've been on meds for it for that long.

Even now it is sometimes above 100 with meds. I can't take more because then my BP gets too low.
I also have A-fib now but I'm not sure if it's from Lyme or just hereditary. I've had lyme most of my life.

Sounds like the symptoms you have are very "normal." If you continue to have palps you might want to get checked out by a cardiologist just to be safe... but listen to "ott" on this one!!

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
randibear
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 11290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for randibear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i have started walking and try to do a mile each day. still my resting heart rate can be 90-100.

i've tried everything and it seldom gets down into the 70's.

when i'm stressed tho it can reach 135.

i've had all kinds of tests and apparently they say it's ok.

--------------------
do not look back when the only course is forward

Posts: 12262 | From texas | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gwb
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 7273

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gwb     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had this same problem until I started taking Neuro-Toxin ll Cardio by Jernigan Nutraceuticals. My doctor did BRS testing http://www.hansacenter.com/brs.php and found that I had high levels of ammonia in my heart, brain and liver.

I'm not suggesting that your palpitations are caused by ammonia, but if it is you might want to consider doing some detoxifying to see if this helps with your palpitations. I rarely have palpitations now that I've been treated with Neuro-Toxin ll.

You can read more about this here:

http://abc.eznettools.net/jernigannutraceuticals/Neuro-Antitox2.html

Gary

Posts: 1349 | From OK | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php/topic/1/77325

Topic: To everyone with cardiac symptoms please read!

-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement