LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » I feel manic, Xanax won't work. other options?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: I feel manic, Xanax won't work. other options?
laurisabelle222
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 16591

Icon 1 posted      Profile for laurisabelle222     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok so I posted above with my symptoms chart, but am not depressed today, its day 3 off the Art.

I can't sleep and feel racing thoughts. I cant relax and the xanax won't help. Sure, depression is worse, lol, but this isn't that much better.

Any ideas?

Posts: 319 | From nj | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WildCondor
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How much xanax?
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hoosiers51
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 15759

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hoosiers51     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Unless this is a one-time thing, I would recommend a mood stabalizer like Lamictal.

Many Lymies take Lamictal and do well on it. It really evens out the crazy emotions for many. I successfully went off it once I was doing better psych wise, but while I was on it, it was a total life-saver.

It helped my depression but it also helped all the other crazy emotions like irrational thinking, getting angry easily, etc. And I never felt drugged, just felt like my old, pre-Lyme self.

Posts: 4590 | From Midwest | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hoosiers51
Member # 15759

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hoosiers51     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Or if your problems are just that you can't knock out at night to sleep, I would try something like Lunesta that works really quickly. Or Ambien. But I'd try Lunesta first since the side effects are less.

I am 99% sure you can take both Lamictal and Lunesta together, because I did for years.

Posts: 4590 | From Midwest | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
laurisabelle222
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 16591

Icon 1 posted      Profile for laurisabelle222     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Im taking .25 mgs per day of the xanax. 1/4- 1/2 when needed. So, when i can't sleep or calm down, I take more. But its just not working today.

It seems like when I stop Babs meds, the manic feelings get bad a few days later and the depression lifts.
p
These aren't typical for me. Before I began treating Babs, sure I may have had symptoms like this but they wenre't as intense and usually passed.

So, either this is a herx and will be temporary or its the disease flaring up. Not sure but hopefully my Dr will call tomorrow. I think getting a good rest might help with these symtpoms.

I have an rx for a sleeping pill that my doc gave me. maybe ill try it.

Posts: 319 | From nj | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sutherngrl
Member # 16270

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sutherngrl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
.25mg of Xanax per day is an extremely low dose. Xanax only last about 4 or 5 hours. I take 1mg 3 or 4 times a day.
Posts: 4035 | From Mississippi | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
laurisabelle222
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 16591

I was always concerned with addiction with this drug so I always took a small amount which worked. Now, not so much... I'll have to take more and try a sleeping pill later. maybe that will help even things out.
Beachinit
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 21040

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Beachinit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If excitotoxin mediated then the mania may
respond to magnesium. could take that to augment the xanax.

Just a thought though.

Beachinit.

--------------------
Ideas not advice.

Posts: 448 | From Downeast Maine | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
laurisabelle222
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 16591

beach- what do you mean "excitotoxin mediated"?
laurisabelle222
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 16591

I took Plaquenil which i had been off of for a few days and it seemed to make me feel a bit better. It calmed my chest area, taking away that tightness and made me feel calmer.

mm wonder what thats about, but its a good thing.

lyme in Putnam
Member # 11561

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lyme in Putnam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I take one xanax a day 1 mg. extended release and sometimes a another half during the day if needed. I don't worry about addiction, my gut has been afraid to, so I take what I need as I need it. Sometimes you have no choice. Feel good.

--------------------
He took u to it, He'll you through

Posts: 2837 | From NE. | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WildCondor
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Indeed that is low dose. Usually .5 3x per day is standard. I understand your concerns about the addiction though.

I would ask your LLMD about supportive measures like anti-depressants plus xanax to get through this. Also, make sure your doses of antibiotics are adequate.

Make sure you are taking enough magnesium as well.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cleo
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6646

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cleo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
plaquenil treats porphyria. Secondary porphyria is caused by some infections .. mycoplasma, chlamydia to name a few.
Posts: 433 | From new york | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gwb
Member # 7273

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gwb     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There's also Clonazepan which is like Xanax but longer lasting. Xanax gets to working immediately and can be real helpful the moment you need it. Clonazepan lasts several hours.

Gary

Posts: 1349 | From OK | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EscapeFromLymeland
Member # 24931

Icon 1 posted      Profile for EscapeFromLymeland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It is not "addiction" that you have to primarily worry about with Xanax, Klonopin, Lunesta, and other similar drugs. It is your tolerance threshold. Even if you take it every other day - even if you take only a small amount --it doesn't matter. Your body builds a tolerance to these drugs - opiates, benzodiazepines, whatever - you can not control or prevent your body from building tolerance.

Tolerance is why the Xanax and Ambien etc. stop being so effective in helping you fall asleep after a while. People should not be on these drugs long-term - even the pharmaceutical companies agree with that fact and they would only profit from keeping people on those drugs as long as possible.

These drugs cause protracted withdrawal symptoms. If you keep feeding the ineffectiveness resulting from your tolerance of these drugs with even more drugs - you will be creating a lot of problems for yourself.

Google "protracted withdrawal" and the names of your drugs. You do not have to take them every single day to have them cause significant problems.

Posts: 42 | From Lymeland USA | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sutherngrl
Member # 16270

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sutherngrl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have never had any issues with taking Xanax. I took Xanax years ago for over a year due to anxiety caused by stress. Once I got past the stress in my life, I was able to stop the Xanax with hardly any side effects and very quickly.

Not so with antidepressants. I had horrible, long drawn out withdrawal to those.

I am not condoning that you take these types of drugs, but you do what you have to, to get through this illness. You won't need these meds when you are well. No need to suffer when there is something that can help you.

Posts: 4035 | From Mississippi | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
elley0531
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9434

Icon 1 posted      Profile for elley0531     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have taken klonopin for 4 years off and on and I have never developed a tolerance for it, I always make sure I put 48 hours in between doses.

I do not see how your body would develop a tolerance if you don't give it a chance to actually build in your blood stream.

I know everyone is different but my docs have specifically told me repeatedly that I would not develop tolerance or addiction since I put days in between doses, and I haven't.

Just my experience.

Posts: 594 | From NJ/NY | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
elley0531
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9434

Icon 1 posted      Profile for elley0531     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Also, I take a very low dose of .5mg.

I am very careful about this sort of thing and only take it when absolutely necessary-but it has been a lifesaver. I can't say what is right for another person though, seeing as drugs interact with everyone differently especially when you are battling a neurological disease to begin with.

Posts: 594 | From NJ/NY | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
peacemama
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 17666

Icon 1 posted      Profile for peacemama     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Medical Marijuana? Or marijuana oil on your feet?

Calms the nervous system, from what I have read.

Posts: 564 | From Tick Hell | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beachinit
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 21040

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Beachinit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Excitotoxin released from destruction of microbes
e.g. Bb which then stimulates NMDA receptor in the brain and basically begins overuse of brain
nerve pathways. Seems to happen in Parkinson's
disease and other neurodegenerative diseases.
It is thought to happen in neuro-lyme disease
as well. Magnesium is one example of an NMDA inhibitor. Helps reduce overstimulation in brain. In periphery eg GI tract, muscles,
may reduce pain.

Beachinit

--------------------
Ideas not advice.

Posts: 448 | From Downeast Maine | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement