LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Can't afford yeast free diet- suggestions for yeast prevention/cheap lyme diet?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Can't afford yeast free diet- suggestions for yeast prevention/cheap lyme diet?
Nicole_Denise
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 20620

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nicole_Denise     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am officially broke. I have paid Aprils rent, but have to borrow money from family to pay for groceries, and May's rent. I start a job in May, but won't receiver my first paycheck until two weeks in.

Anyway, I quite literally can no longer afford a yeast-free diet. Veggies, eggs and meat are expensive, while foods like rice, potatoes, pasta etc. are much cheaper. I have had to re-incorporate those foods into my diet to make my food stretch farther.

I am still avoiding sugar, but does anyone have suggestions for yeast prevention other than just diet? Or cheap foods that I could add that wouldn't be so bad?

I've found a multi-grain oatmeal-like cereal that is very inexpensive, is a pretty complex carb (full grains and flax seed and stuff).

Anyway, for those of you on strict budgets, what do you eat?

Thanks

Nicole

Posts: 503 | From Alberta, Canada | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MariaA
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 9128

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MariaA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
frozen veggies are cheaper (and probably healthier than eating a lot of pasta etc). Can you get food stamps or whatever the Canadian equivalent is?

I'm in your boat, but I'm buying based on what's on sale. If you can go to more than one supermarket and buy sale items it can make it stretch a bit.

--------------------
Symptom Free!!! Thank you all!!!!

Find me at Lymefriends, I post under the same name.
diet: http://lymefriends.ning.com/group/healthylowcarbrecipes
Homemade Probiotics thread
Herbal Links Thread

Posts: 2552 | From San Francisco | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MariaA
Member # 9128

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MariaA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
one thing I do is make probiotics- as I can't afford 'supplement' ones at the moment. The cheapest probiotic is probably sauerkraut. There's a recipe in my signature. You can also search for 'cabbage rejuvelac' for another way to do this without making salty sauerkraut. cabbage is really cheap (I got some at WalMart on sale for 31 cents a pound today).

--------------------

Herbal Links Thread

Posts: 2552 | From San Francisco | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cactus
Member # 7347

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cactus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Do you have a crockpot?

Dried beans - you can make all kinds of yummy stuff that way. You can spice them up a bit, eat them with the rice, etc... or maybe throw in some chicken, if there's any on sale.

If you don't have a crockpot, use the stove & simmer them.

--------------------
�Did you ever stop to think, and forget to start again?� - A.A. Milne

Posts: 1987 | From No. VA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sparkle7
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 10397

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sparkle7     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Those are all great suggestions.

I'm not sure what you are doing as far as drugs go but Yeast Cleanse by Solaray worked well for me. It's about $15 for a bottle & it lasts for a month or 2 (or longer) depending how many you take.

I tried the yeast free diet many times but it didn't really help me all that much. There are conflicting views about it. I wouldn't get too stressed out if you can't follow it to the letter. Mainly, avoid sugar as much as possible.

The Yeast Cleans really helped me & I always recommend it because it's cheap & in my opinion better than the drugs.

Posts: 7772 | From Northeast, again... | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sparkle7
Member # 10397

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sparkle7     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Also- if you are into Asian foods - many things at Asian markets can be cheaper than regular supermarkets.

Typical Asian foods like ginger, scallions, bok choi, seaweed, noodles, spices, soy sauce, sesame seeds, tofu, miso, rice, etc... are alot cheaper at Asian markets than at a healthfood store or supermarket.

Posts: 7772 | From Northeast, again... | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RZR
Member # 20953

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RZR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by sparkle7:
Those are all great suggestions.

I'm not sure what you are doing as far as drugs go but Yeast Cleanse by Solaray worked well for me. It's about $15 for a bottle & it lasts for a month or 2 (or longer) depending how many you take.

I tried the yeast free diet many times but it didn't really help me all that much. There are conflicting views about it. I wouldn't get too stressed out if you can't follow it to the letter. Mainly, avoid sugar as much as possible.

The Yeast Cleans really helped me & I always recommend it because it's cheap & in my opinion better than the drugs.

I am also interested in Yeast Cleanse. How many and when do you take it?

I am on a 30-day course of diflucan. I am losing far too much weight on the diet. I am 5'6" and now weigh 110 lbs. I look and feel awful.

Thank you!

--------------------
Tick bite May 2009
Diagnosed June 2009

Posts: 2329 | From SouthEast | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pamoisondelune
Member # 11846

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pamoisondelune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You can't afford to buy a rife machine, but rifing on Candida, yeast and fungus frequencies has apparently conquered my intractable CAndida-in-the-guts problem.

When you get richer, you might remember that, i think, rife machine solved my yeast problem, APPARENTLY, SO FAR,---hope i don't get thrown in jail for saying that!

----Polly Polygonum
----or Nilufar Knotweed

Posts: 1226 | From USA | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LightAtTheEnd
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 24065

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LightAtTheEnd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you have to eat carbs again, try to use whole grains instead of refined ones. Less food will fill you up, and the glucose will enter your system more slowly. Sometimes they are cheaper, too.

For instance, regular slow-cooking oatmeal is usually cheaper than the minute stuff, which is cheaper than the little envelopes that already contain sugar.

Dried beans are cheap. You can boil them for a couple hours, or soak them first and boil them for less time, or cook them in a crock pot all day. Don't put tomato in with them until they're done cooking, or they'll stay hard, but you can boil them with garlic, onion and salt, and a piece of meat if you like.

Then you can keep them in the fridge and eat them for soup, add them cold onto a salad, or put them in the blender and then fry them for refried beans.

A bag of potatoes may not be cheaper than a box of instant mashed potatoes, but you can get a good deal for a big bag.

If you bake the potatoes and eat the skin, you get more nutrients and fiber out of them. Once they're baked, you can keep them in the fridge, then chop them up and toss them into whatever else you're making. Onions and garlic can add flavor.

Dry beans are great because they have lots of protein. Eggs are a lot cheaper than meat. You can mix anything in with scrambled eggs.

Buy a whole chicken (on sale?) and boil it in a big pot. Then you can have several pieces of chicken to mix with other food, plus a big pot of broth to make soup.

Green veggies are a challenge. Canned spinach and green beans can be had cheaply on sale or at discount grocery stores. Dollar General has some cheap deals on food.

Buy a big head of romaine lettuce and some oil and vinegar, and have salads.

Buy one container of mixed spices instead of individual ones. Flavoring is important if you're eating a lot of bland food over and over. At least invest in sea salt if you can.

A jar of nut butter goes pretty far, even if it's the expensive natural kind with no sugar. It's cheaper than whole nuts.

You can put it in the blender with whole milk and fruit, and make a shake that tastes decent, instead of eating bread with it.

That still has quite a bit of carbs without adding sugar, but at least it has fat, fiber and vitamins to go with it. You could add stevia if you have any.

When you're constantly low on food money and rationing your food, it's good to have something you can eat that you really like, so you don't feel so deprived.

Scrape up the money once a week to go to a big buffet, and either eat as much as you want until you feel full, or get a to-go order and take home enough for 2 or 3 more modest meals. You can get lots of meat and veggies there, and also an occasional treat like a dessert.

Good luck!

--------------------
Don't forget to laugh! And when you're going through hell, keep going!

Bitten 5/25/2009 in Perry County, Indiana. Diagnosed by LLMD 12/2/2009.

Posts: 756 | From Inside the tunnel | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
laura_from_nh
Member # 18885

Icon 1 posted      Profile for laura_from_nh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good question. I am so confused by all the differing opinions on what diets should be followed. I too am losing way too much weight which is not good as I am thin to start with.

i found this diet online last night. seems more affordable and less confusing than others.

anyone know about this one?

http://www.coconutdiet.com/candida.htm

--------------------
Misdiagnosed and untreated from 1993-2008.
- iGenex positive western blot for LD: 9/08
- Clinical diagnosis for Babesia: 2/09
- Positive blood smear for Bartonella: 3/09

Started treatment: 1/09

Posts: 91 | From New Hampshire | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would go with the dried beans and cheap frozen vegetables. Then the occasional piece of chicken thrown in for good measure.

Avoid rice unless it is brown rice. Pasta, unless it's whole grain, bread unless it is whole grain. But all in all, you DON'T have to eat all of the above.

Can you afford Nystatin to keep the yeast at bay while on abx?? It's a prescription. If you have insurance, it might be cheaper than OTC meds.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
groovy2
Member # 6304

Icon 1 posted      Profile for groovy2   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Pasta is the Worst thing you could eat-

Green veggies -nuts - canned spinach -
eggs- squish - and gallons of water -

I ate Broccoli- cauliflower carrots and chicken
for 3 years --every meal --
some how I still like it and eat it at least 4
times a week --Jay--

Posts: 2999 | From Austin tx USA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nicole_Denise
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 20620

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nicole_Denise     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks guys

Yep, I just started Nyastin. My prescriptions are mostly covered by health care here, and I prioritize them up with my rent, so I can still afford them.

I do have a crock pot which I can use. I didn't even think about frozen veggies-that's a good idea.

I was thinking there had to be options for eating at least mostly on the yeast-free diet for cheap. Thanks for all suggestions!

Posts: 503 | From Alberta, Canada | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MariaA
Member # 9128

I'm in the same boat as you- haven't had an income in 3 1/2 months and I'm depending on the generosity of friends (I don't have family to speak of because we are immigrants here, and there's no extended family).

I just got 4 bags of frozen veggies for $5 on sale at one of the supermarkets (lima beans, green beans, cauliflower. It's not going to be the higher-quality produce that they sell that way, but sometimes you have to do what you have to do. Single serving 'box' packages of spinach or other chopped veggies are sometimes under a dollar here.

The same veggies are several dollars a pound when fresh. Cauliflower is a potato substitute for me- making mashed cauliflower is really good if you flavor it with enough stuff.

Low dose naltrexone from a compounding pharmacy helps keep my candida symptoms at bay even though I'm on a lot of antibiotics.

--------------------

Herbal Links Thread

unsure445
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15962

Icon 1 posted      Profile for unsure445     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You can have brown rice which is great w/ frozen vegetables. You could add some canned chicken broth too.

Eggs pack a lot for the price. Do you have any local convenience stores like 7 eleven? Sometimes a local chain has their own milk and eggs for a really good price.

Peanut butter is another cheap option. If you can't get it unsweetened at a health food store even Jiff makes an unsweetened peanut butter.

I think if you are not having a yeast problem you can eat some pasta.

Glad to hear you will have income in May. Tough times we are in these days!!!

--------------------
unsure445

Posts: 824 | From northeast | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes!! Eggs!!

Avoid peanut butter if you can.. bad for yeast. But good in a pinch if you have to have something cheap. (peanuts are moldy)

Look for sales on frozen vegetables.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sparkle7
Member # 10397

It's a complex issue with yeast. It depends how it effects you & whether you are taking abx. Everyone is different. I took the Nystatin with the abx & it didn't prevent me from getting thrush. Then, they gave me Diflucan... That was OK but it's rough.

After a while, I decided to stop abx. I'm not sure if I took the Yeast Cleanse while I was on abx or not. I just know that every time I feel yeasty - it works & I don't need a doctor, prescription or alot of money.

Yeast Cleanse has some strong ingredients. Many are also anti-Lyme. It can cause herxing. It's too strong for some people. I think it's a great product, though.

You can start off with one cap & work it up as needed. You have to see how it effects you. I take it with some food.

Some people/doctors are really intense when it comes to yeast. They blame yeast for everything under the sun. I can see it being a big issue when you are on abx.

I've seen doctors prior to having Lyme that told me to do the yeast free diet for a number of things. It didn't work - so, I don't know if you really can change a yeast infection with diet alone.

Also, I have very bad menstrual cramps (before I had Lyme). I went to a natropathic GYN who told me to do the yeast free diet & my cramps would go away. They didn't after I did the diet for about 6 months. It was difficult to do at that time, as well.

There is some controversy as to whether "everything" is due to yeast & whether eliminating carbs, sugar, etc. will actually stop it. If you are on abx - there's a good cause for yeast. In that case, it's probably good to be careful but you don't have to be a purist about it - in my opinion.

I also decided to stop abx because they weren't helping me & they were effecting my intestines. It wasn't worth it to me anymore to take them & worry about the side effects or potential damage.

Hope this helps...

Also- if you can manage it - kefir is very good, as well. I think it's better than yogurt. It seems to have more pro-biotics than regular yogurt. Sometimes, you can get someone to give you the grains (starter) & make it yourself. It may be cheaper this way.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement