LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Say Something Positive about Rifampin

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Say Something Positive about Rifampin
DaveNJ
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 17362

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DaveNJ     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Day 19 on Rifampin and this stuff is kicking my butt....on 450mg and start 600 tomorrow. Trying to give this the good ole college try but it is messing with me....

anyone been down this road that can tell me its worth it and that better days are coming?

its either a side effect or a herx from hell: major head pressure, sugar feels off, woozy, brain fog, stiff neck, achy knees and hands.

I know no one can answer what it is....i figured i would do another 11 days before i screamed UNCLE.

So can anyone tell me they had a similar experience?

Dave

--------------------
On my journey to wellness - One day at a time.

Posts: 989 | From NJ | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Myco
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9536

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Myco     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
6 months of it cured my Bart. I would stick with it!
Posts: 770 | From USA | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kitty9309
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19945

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kitty9309     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dave-

Better days came for me- eventually. I am still not out of the woods, but after 3 months, I finally began to see some better days.

It totally took away my foot pain and groin/leg pain in 2 months. That was the Bartonella, I feel.

My dizziness is now breaking up, but that may not be due to Rifampin. I think this is due to Lyme and adding the doxy, now mino and Plaquenil is helping that.

Rifampin can have dizziness/ataxia as a side effect.

I now only get the head pressure and increased dizziness during my herx week, which became apparent after 3-4 months of Rifampin/Zith.

I would tell you to hang in there longer, but only you and your doctor can decide that.

(BTW- I think I told you, but my 1st dose of 300mg Rifampin nearly did me in with the same intensitiy of dizziness/dysequalibrium that started off my Lyme/Bart symptoms 4 years ago. I thought that was it, that it was back as bad as in the begining and it would never improve, but it did.)

Hope some of this helped,
Kitty

Posts: 819 | From East Coast | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DaveNJ
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 17362

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DaveNJ     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks gang. i just needd to be reminded.

Kitty alwasy god to hear from you. And your observation is pretty much what i've experienced.

Dave

--------------------

Posts: 989 | From NJ | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hang in there if you can. I lasted 5 days.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
djf2005
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 11449

Icon 1 posted      Profile for djf2005     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It will get better.

Use veggie caps to lower the dose, or try pulsing 4 days of the week.

--------------------
"Experience is not what happens to you; it is what you do with what happens to you."

[email protected]

Posts: 2269 | From Lansdowne, Pa | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RZR
Member # 20953

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RZR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The only positive thing I can say is....I lived! LOL! I lasted 5 weeks, off and on.

--------------------
Tick bite May 2009
Diagnosed June 2009

Posts: 2329 | From SouthEast | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tick battler
Member # 21113

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tick battler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My kids took it and their bart symptoms flared for 3 to 5 weeks, then we started seeing slow improvement. They herxed on this med more than any other, but it also helped more than any other.

They complained of their bones hurting, or everything hurting, being angry, head hurting, buzzing in ears...etc. This all went away and they are still taking this med. We have tried to stop it a couple of times and the symptoms return so we are not quite there yet.

tickbattler

Posts: 1763 | From Malvern, PA | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nefferdun
Member # 20157

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nefferdun     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I took it for three months and then switched. I felt a whole lot better when I quit it so it probably was doing something but I could not tell while on it. It does cause mental fog.

--------------------
old joke: idiopathic means the patient is pathological and the the doctor is an idiot

Posts: 4676 | From western Montana | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DaveNJ
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 17362

thanks everyone....guess i'll just keep at it and then see where i am in 6 weeks.

already did the veggie caps...just started full dose of 600 today...was at 450 for the past week...

Dave

--------------------

Kastroo
Member # 22825

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kastroo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i love it [Smile] after few days of dizzzzzines cleaned my head [Smile]
Posts: 67 | From New York | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kitty9309
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19945

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kitty9309     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dave-

Glad (sort of??) that your experience is similar to mine.

I forgot to add that I have been on Rifampin and Zith combined for 30 weeks with one more month (likely) to go.

I think you'll know if/when to say uncle.

Update us again soon!

Also, do you take your dose in the evening? I was told to and am glad, b/c the increased dizziness I sometimes feel comes when I can usually be home.

Posts: 819 | From East Coast | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
joe-nm
Member # 18054

Icon 1 posted      Profile for joe-nm     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dave,

Rifampin helped me a lot, right from the start. I was going blind - could hardly see anything and could barely read printing as each line of type would line up differently in each eye; horrible to say the least.

The morning I awoke from taking the first 600mg dose of rifampin, I could read type or newsprint again. Not all of my eye problems have diminished but the rifampin sure helps.

By the way, I have been on it for about one year. I tried to discontinue it in late December but my eye symptoms stared to come back. I use it with Biaxin and Plaquenil.

Hope you get better.

Posts: 54 | From New Mexico | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
psano2
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11711

Icon 1 posted      Profile for psano2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rifampin helped me a lot too.
Posts: 975 | From California | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lauirel
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 16640

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lauirel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My son and I took Rifampin/Isoniazid for four months and was very helpful to us. It was actually one of the first in a combo in which we had a huge leap in improvement.

--------------------
�Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it�s the only thing that ever has.�

Posts: 149 | From Kansas/Missouri | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymephobic
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 17556

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymephobic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Dave,

Rifampin is what saved me. 8 months of it...almost 100% and have been off since July. Taking Cats Claw for maintenance.

First 2 months on it were horrendous. Everything that I had been feeling hit me 10 times harder. I honestly don't remember much of my life those first few months.

Thought about stopping more than once...but kept going...and here I am today, basically a new person.

I hope better days are ahead for you Dave!

Posts: 193 | From New Jersey | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jessica
Member # 23405

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jessica     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rifampin helped me a lot with my Bart symptoms. Unfortunately, it messed up my liver. Just do your liver panel regularly while on it.

Good luck!

Posts: 19 | From Rockville, MD | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twingirl
Member # 13172

Icon 1 posted      Profile for twingirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
rifampin kicked my butt for a couple months, but I stuck with it and stayed on it for almost 6 months and it helped quite a bit.

I was very crabby and hurt a lot, plus foggy head.

--------------------
dar

Posts: 95 | From michigan | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
map1131
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 2022

Icon 1 posted      Profile for map1131     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had 3 yrs of abx starting in '99. It was three years of he!! for me. I quit them cold turkey and went with alternative treatments for 6 yrs.

Today I'm doing rifampin for bart. More tick bites in '05 gave me a dose of something, bart!

I started rifampin 2 mths ago. The first month was kick butt. Headaches so horrible, brain fog, fatigue and pain all over. But the last month has been much better.

Rifampin has got the constipation moving. Bowels are moving like a healthy persons is suppose too. Insomnia has improved greatly (until the darn time change this past weekend), NO skin eruptions in two months.

Going with one more month of rifampin and then my plan is to switch to all the new bart freqs with rife that I have come across.

I do not want to be a long term abx user. My hope is rife can do a long term tx.

Pam

--------------------
"Never, never, never, never, never give up" Winston Churchill

Posts: 6478 | From Louisville, Ky | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pj1954
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11722

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pj1954     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
rifampin can be the wonder drug if you have bart it can also kick your butt if you dont detox the whole time on it by any means !
Posts: 294 | From sw chicago suburbs | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DaveNJ
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 17362

Hey everyone,

I appreciate all of the response and will stick to task...i'll let everyone know how i am doing in another three weeks.

And thanks for keeping it positive...i needed to hear this.

Dave

--------------------

CD57
Member # 11749

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CD57     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
what is Isionazid?
Posts: 3528 | From US | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kitty9309
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19945

quote:
Originally posted by CD57:
what is Isionazid?

Another antibioic used for TB (tuberculosis)

I was surprised to see that listed here.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isoniazid

lauirel
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 16640

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lauirel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, Isoniazid is used for TB, which incidently is a mycobacteria. Although we weren't taking it for its label purpose, we were taking it for the off label use of other mycobacteria we suspected in combination with Rifampin & other antibiotics, and with the blessings of our doc.

--------------------
�Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it�s the only thing that ever has.�

Posts: 149 | From Kansas/Missouri | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tracy9
Member # 7521

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tracy9         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay, hit me with it.

I started Rifampin for the first time on Sunday. Today is Wednesday. Last night, suddenly and out of the blue, a freight train hit me.

I suddenly was stricken by such all over body pain I couldn't even tell you where it hurt. I thought it was because my PCP said I could no longer take Ibuprophen once I started Rifampin because it thins the blood and I am on Coumadin.

Then someone told me it was just how she felt when she started Rifampin.

I can't bend my fingers, I can't walk without a walker, every fiber of my being hurts (which is why then I thought it was the small fiber neuropathy flaring up without Motrin), every joint is stiff and achey, I can't turn my head, I fell like the Tin Man who got left out in the rain.

Is this how some of you have felt on Rifampin?

Please tell me, if so, how long did this pain last? What did you do to treat the pain? I dont' have the head pressure some of you mentioned (but now that I said that I'm sure it's coming.)

I don't know what to ask my doc for to replace Ibuprophen. I'm on Cymbalta for neuropathic pain already but obviously this is beyond that. I am almost immobilized.

I really look forward to your experiences. I am also told most people take Rifampin with something else; I just got off Zith and Bactrim for a year so I think he wanted to give me a break (been off them now about 3 or 4 months.)

I have a friend just a couple miles away who just got an infrared sauna which I can use every other day....should this help with pain? It is supposed to be helpful with my autoimmune disease.

I'm also trying to get back to IVIG....if I can. I'd really like to know what to possibly expect from this Rifampin though. I've been bedridden since January COMPLETELY and really, really want to get back to being able to work a few hours a week. I am going to lose my house soon otherwise.

--------------------
NO PM; CONTACT: [email protected]

13 years Lyme & Co.; Small Fiber Neuropathy; Myasthenia Gravis, Adrenal Insufficiency. On chemo for 2 1/2 years as experimental treatment for MG.

Posts: 4480 | From Northeastern Connecticut | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pinelady
Member # 18524

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pinelady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like it. I am getting some improvement in my

arms/shoulders. I also feel like I can feel it

working in my bones...I am doing cholestyrine too

so that may help.

--------------------
Suspected Lyme 07 Test neg One band migrating in IgG region
unable to identify.Igenex Jan.09IFA titer 1:40 IND
IgM neg pos
31 +++ 34 IND 39 IND 41 IND 83-93 +
DX:Neuroborreliosis

Posts: 5850 | From Kentucky | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
map1131
Member # 2022

Icon 1 posted      Profile for map1131     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I find it interesting that rifampin the treatment for TB, a mycobacteria that attacks primarily the lungs (can be elsewhere in the body) is fairly successful treating bartonella...

that Dr K refers to as a lung worm and we all know it can be anywhere in the body also.

Interesting indeed [Eek!] [Eek!]

Pam

--------------------

Posts: 6478 | From Louisville, Ky | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DaveNJ
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 17362

Tracy,

welcome to the club...i started this thread when i was desperate 2 weeks ago...i wasn't in as much pain as you but my nervous system was on fire...things are slowly starting to get better.

i hope you didn't start on full dose?

Dave

--------------------

Tracy9
Member # 7521

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tracy9         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I started on 300 mg a day, he prescribed it for the morning but I've been taking it at night. In one week from starting I go up to 600 mg.

--------------------

13 years Lyme & Co.; Small Fiber Neuropathy; Myasthenia Gravis, Adrenal Insufficiency. On chemo for 2 1/2 years as experimental treatment for MG.

Posts: 4480 | From Northeastern Connecticut | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
map1131
Member # 2022

up

--------------------

Stacyb
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13084

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stacyb     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have been on Rifampin off and on for 2 years now.
First time was 8 months and I made huge gains
and thought I was done but I relapsed. Getting
back on after 4 weeks off was not bad at all.
After 8 months again I was switched to Factive
pulsed and now back to Rifampin again. I love Rifampin and would stay on it forever if it
did not stress the liver! Bart is hard to get rid
of and may need multiple times to treat it

I did not have the extreme pain that some have
but I did get the headaches and GI pains.
Also the insomnia and anxiety got real bad for
awhile. It gets better with time. I herxed
at first and then at 6 weeks and 3 months. After
that it was just improvements.

BTW I am always on Zith with it.

Posts: 476 | From Columbus, Ohio | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tracy9
Member # 7521

Thanks, I'm having wierd types of insomnia I've not had before; I'm waking up about 4 or 5 am and that's it for sleep. Usually I am comatose for 14-18 hours; now I'm only getting about 5 hours of sleep. Maybe I'll take it earlier in the day.

I'm just so glad to be awake though!!! There is a world out there! Today I attended our town's Easter Egg hunt and sat at a Lyme Disease Awareness table I did with a friend from town. This was unthinkable a week ago. Yesterday I walked a mile.

--------------------

elizzza811
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 24713

Icon 1 posted      Profile for elizzza811     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rifampin saved my life at one point. It doesn't do anything for me now though.
Posts: 495 | From USA | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
anthropisces
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15672

Icon 1 posted      Profile for anthropisces     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As I've posted in several other threads, I started on 600mg of Rifampin on about February 6th. On about the 18th, my arm, shoulder and upper back began exhibiting such pain that I could scarecely believe it. Is it from the Rifampin? Some pretty strenuous physical activity preceeded these symptoms; 2 days after a workout in the gym...bammo. But I've never felt anything like this. I'm pretty certain it is the Rifampin. Is it odd that it took almost two weeks to lay me so low? My arm at my elbow sometimes feels like a hot knife is going into it. I was waking at 3 am every night. That lack of sleep can't be good for recovery.
Posts: 152 | From West Palm Bech, FL | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement