LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Side effects from Magnesium??

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Side effects from Magnesium??
Ticked
Member # 24336

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ticked     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Have any of you experienced negative side effects from taking magnesium?

I started supplementing with oral chelated magnesium a couple of weeks ago. I seemed calmer and less anxious, but generally more tired/fatigued.

Also, I've developed this metallic taste in my mouth. I'm wondering if the magnesium did this.

So, for the last few days, I started the Swanson Mag. Oil, and am leaving off the oral mag.

I still have the metal taste in my mouth. Who knows!?

I know that magnesium is very helpful for lyme, but does it make you feel worse (in some ways) when taking it?

Posts: 67 | From Alabama | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TF
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 14183

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TF     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I didn't have any negative side effects, and it didn't give me a metallic taste. Such a thing is not listed as a side effect of magnesium in my drug book.

Name everything else you are taking--meds, supplements and all.

It could be something else you are taking. Certain meds do that for sure. For example, metronidazole (flagyl).

Posts: 9931 | From Maryland | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
timaca
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 6911

Icon 1 posted      Profile for timaca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I feel like a rag doll if I take too much. Too much for me is 300 mg per day. I am going to try the slow release Mg, because even taking 100 mg on a full stomach gives me side effects (an uncomfortable relaxed feeling).

I never had a metallic taste in my mouth.

Best, Timaca

Posts: 2872 | From above 7,000 ft in a pine forest | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
karenl
Member # 17753

Icon 1 posted      Profile for karenl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It makes me tired, I am now on magnesium glycinate and had to cut back to 200 mg.

I think the mg oil was not making me so tired but the mg citrate did not test so good for me.

Posts: 1834 | From US | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ticked
Member # 24336

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ticked     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The only prescription drug is synthroid. I took Iodoral iodine supp. for awhile. I got the brassy taste that is one of the side effects of that.

I stopped taking that about a week ago, but the brass/metallic taste is still here.

But, just as I stopped the Iodoral, I started taking the supplement from Jurnagin Nutraceuticals, Neuro Antitox CNS/PNS formula. That may be what caused it, but I only used it a few days. It is described as being able to detox metals, so that may be what did it!

Whatever it was, I now have this persistent metal taste, and I feel extra weak!!

I've been taking chlorella, alpha lipoic acid, milk thysyle , vit E, CoQ10, fish oil, B complex, and D-3 for some time now, with no metal taste whatsoever.

The Iodoral started the taste, and I think the Neuro Antitox is what really got it stirred up!!I may have used too much of it too soon.

Hopefully the magnesium has nothing to do with the bad things that are going on with me. It's just hard to narrow it all down sometimes.

Thanks!

Posts: 67 | From Alabama | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ticked
Member # 24336

I just thought of something and wanted to run it by everyone. Besides taking 200 to 400mg of mag. lately, I also take valerian root occasionally. It is a stress reliever and muscle relaxer,etc.

Maybe those taken together is a little too much??

I've taken the val.root for years and I do very well in it.

timaca
Member # 6911

Icon 1 posted      Profile for timaca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've not taken valerian root, so I cannot comment on that. Maybe back off on the Mg until you find a dose that doesn't make you feel too tired.

Best, Timaca

Posts: 2872 | From above 7,000 ft in a pine forest | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MDW005
Member # 22706

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MDW005     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I take magnesium bis/glycinate and have had no issues.

--------------------
God's promises mean you always have something wonderful to look forward to.

Posts: 2150 | From Georgia | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WildCondor
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Too much magnesium will give you diarrhea.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
A side-effect from a dose that my body needs (which may be higher than "normal" but below loose bowels): increased comfort level, less irritability, better focus and less bothered by lights and sounds. Better sleep, too. I'm also just happier. It's a great mood lifter even if I am still tired.

As for a metal taste in your mouth, magnesium does have that a bit but I don't find it to bother me. Green Tea pretty much makes that disappear.

Also, the taste may be there until your levels get to where they need to be. You might also be sure other minerals are in balance.

As you say you are calmer but more tired/fatigued, maybe you just need to listen to your body. It is settling down and may need that to help get you better.

Do you have good adrenal support, too? That should help with a safe energy support but not push too much.

Maybe your Vitamin D levels are affecting absorption:
---------------

http://www.lymepa.org/Nutritional_Supplements.pdf

Nutritional Supplements in Disseminated Lyme Disease

J.J. Burrascano, Jr., MD (2008)

Page 4, excerpt:

`` . . . low vitamin D levels can cause diffuse body aches and cramps that are not responsive to magnesium or calcium supplements. . . .''
-

[ 03-20-2010, 03:48 PM: Message edited by: Keebler ]

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement