LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Bopping Up & Down Sensation, Which Infection causes this ?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Bopping Up & Down Sensation, Which Infection causes this ?
lymetwister
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 19590

Icon 5 posted      Profile for lymetwister     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would really like to focus on the infection that causes this as it is so annoying and the one that makes me feel like I have brain damage.

Some have referred to this symptom as "Rocking on a boat "

In my case, when I lay down, sometimes it feels like I'm going side to side, or even falling through my mattress.

Anyone have a clue or can any of them cause this. This symptom seems to flair with my Herx's.

Thanks in advance,

Gary

Posts: 1227 | From District of Columbia | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
laurisabelle222
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 16591

Icon 1 posted      Profile for laurisabelle222     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have the same symptom and I can't stand it. I asked my Doc, who is also your Doc, and he really didn't say but did think lyme/bart was causing the majority of my symptoms.

Its called mal d'embarkment or something like that in case u want the exact symptom.

On this board, many said it was related to Bart.

Posts: 319 | From nj | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
psano2
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11711

Icon 1 posted      Profile for psano2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is there any dizziness w/this?
Posts: 975 | From California | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymetwister
Member # 19590

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymetwister     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not with me, thank god as that would be too much icing on the cake.
Posts: 1227 | From District of Columbia | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wolfed Out
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 23727

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wolfed Out     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've heard it was Babesia, but I suspect Bartonella because my Bartonella symptoms flared once I started treatment -- and that particular symptom became a little stronger as well.

But really, who knows.

You see...

Some say Zithromax is for Bartonella, and others say Babesia... My doctor has me on it for Babesia.

Do you really know if you have Bartonella or BLO...

What type of strain of Babesia...

What other infections...

At some point, it's all too confusing to tell what's going on. My symptoms flares don't match Dr. B's guidelines for each infection -- according to my LLMD and my own personal feelings.

Posts: 829 | From MD | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
"Rocking on a boat "?

Mal de debarquement, likely (Inner ear stuff). Brain swelling can also contribute to this. It all pretty much goes with lyme + co.

Treat the infections but I think it's nearly impossible to know just what infection is doing this. Any infection, but also the toxicity involved, can be at work.

While it goes with lyme/toxicity (and other tick-borne infections, too) - it can also be a result of certain meds (zith, mino, biaxin) -- or lack of minerals, especially a magnesium deficiency.

If certain meds trigger this, ask your LLMD for other ones. Also, LIVER SUPPORT is vital when the ears are affected for reasons discussed in the Tinnitus thread below.

As they flare with your Herx's - you might be sure your liver support is in place or slow down on liver stress however you can. Are you taking Milk Thistle?

Raising the upper torso to a 30 degree angle should help.

Ginger and magnesium can help. Gluten-free diet helps as does avoiding dairy.

=============

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mal_de_debarquement

Mal de debarquement

==================

www.vestibular.org

VESTIBULAR DISORDERS ASSOCIATION

-----
http://www.vestibular.org/vestibular-disorders/symptoms.php

VESTIBULAR SYMPTOMS

==================

Mal de embarquement is mentioned in here - as is BPV, benign positional vertigo - if this is that, there is a particular "EPLEY MANEUVER" that can help:

Specific for LYME patients - lots of details about ears and what can help - with LIVER SUPPORT LINKS 3/4 of the way down page one:

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=065801

Topic: TINNITUS: Ringing Between The Ears; Vestibular, Balance, Hearing with compiled links - including HYPERACUSIS
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Linnada
Member # 24302

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Linnada     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have this symptom too. It's the worse!! I just started treatment for lyme about a week ago. My biggest fear is that with treatment this won't go away. Has anyone had this symptom and had it get better?
Posts: 84 | From St. Louis, MO | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
psano2
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11711

Icon 1 posted      Profile for psano2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree w/Keebler. The first thing I thought of was inner ear issues, which often come along w/dizziness. I had this originally and would feel a little dizzy at the same time.
Posts: 975 | From California | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymetwister
Member # 19590

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymetwister     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't get dizzy, just the up and down thing. It flairs when I treat now, so I would think it's def. a symptom of my Lyme.

I don't think this is inner ear for me, but I'm sure it is for others who get dizzy.

Gary

Dawn in VA
Member # 9693

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dawn in VA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Like you're on a boat, right? Up and down and up and down.

T'was (and is on nasty days) Lyme for me. Rocephin helped me with that symptom in particular. I had gone undiagnosed for years and thought it was all vestibular-related. It was, but not inner ear otolith-related. All of my vestib. tests that came back as "abnormal" had to do with VAT and VOR responses, and VIII cranial nerve.

--------------------
(The ole disclaimer: I'm not a doctor.)

Posts: 1349 | From VA | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement