LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » NO WHEAT. Why?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: NO WHEAT. Why?
Ticked
Member # 24336

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ticked     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My ND told me to not eat wheat. He's not worried about "gluten-free diet", just wheat specifically.

We've discussed so much, I can't really remember the reason, just that's it's important for me to leave off wheat and all wheat products.

I told him I eat Cheerios nearly every morning. And that I eat oatmeal occasionally, and he said those aren't a problem.

I've been eating 100% whole wheat bread for years and thought I was the man,(lol) and doing myself a big a favor! It's gonna be very tough giving up sandwiches, Subways, etc. I don't have a local health food store to get some kind of nonwheat bread. Bummer.

What's a single guy that hates to cook to do? :-/

Posts: 67 | From Alabama | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wolfed Out
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 23727

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wolfed Out     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Simple...

Learn to cook.

I'm in the same boat you are. I've been reading health magazines for years; working out in the gym; eating a hot fresh turkey sub from Subway 3-4 times a week. Nothing but wheat bread, wheat pasta, etc...

The past 3 months, I haven't had a slice of bread or pasta. I eat NOTHING but steak, chicken, beef, fish, brown rice, beans, vegetables, fruits, and the occasional Teddy Grahams. [Wink]

Sounds boring, but I was feeling so awful that committing to it became easy. Like survival over pleasure, you know?

I've actually enjoyed learning to cook. I'm no master at all, but after a little practice, it becomes fun to spice things up a little the way you like it.

Added plus, I'm losing a little weight and getting real tone for beach season!

Good luck, man!

Posts: 829 | From MD | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MariaA
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 9128

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MariaA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
there are some really simple gluten-free bread mixes that you can order and bake yourself (they're really easy to make) or you might even be able to find the mixes in the regular grocery store. From there you have the basis for sandwiches at least. Also a lot of supermarkets, even in small towns, now have some glutenfree products including frozen pizzas with glutenfree crust and stuff like that.

--------------------
Symptom Free!!! Thank you all!!!!

Find me at Lymefriends, I post under the same name.
diet: http://lymefriends.ning.com/group/healthylowcarbrecipes
Homemade Probiotics thread
Herbal Links Thread

Posts: 2552 | From San Francisco | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ticked
Member # 24336

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ticked     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey W. O.,

Man, you make it sound simple, but you don't know who you're talking to! I simple "eat to live". I've got plenty of hobbies without cooking being one of them!

Don't get me wrong. I like to eat healthy stuff! I just like to keep food SIMPLE. I do make a crock pot of chili now and then.

I may have to get into it more as I go along though.

But still, whats the deal with wheat specifically?

Apparently, the ND said that any of the other grains would be alright.

Posts: 67 | From Alabama | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Parisa
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 10526

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Parisa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ticked,

Buy a breadmaker. Zojirushi has one that has a gluten free setting. Montina is a grass seed that tastes similar to wheat. You can go to the Montina website and their Montina bread recipe tastes close to a whole wheat bread.

Posts: 984 | From San Diego | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wisconsin
Member # 14522

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wisconsin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow...glad to hear we're not the only ones. I really fought this at first. With everything else Lyme suffers have to deal with, it just seems like too much.

This does make a difference for my son. We've tried to get around it, but yet there it is.

Most "gluten-free" bread is pretty horrible. If you really don't want to give up bread we highly recommend, "Meister's gluten-free bread mix". We order it on line. It's expensive, but we feel like it's worth it.

Unfortunately, you do have to throw a few things in a bowl, stir it with a spoon, let it rise and put it into the oven. Very easy compared to other homemade bread recipes, but it sounds like more than you want to do.

Good luck. I'm very sorry for you, but I bet it will be worth it.

Posts: 44 | From Prairie du Sac | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chronic Triathlete
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15245

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chronic Triathlete   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I tested positive for Celiacs and didn't think I had any symptoms. Now that I'm off it (8 months), I generally feel better.

Some LLMDs believe that Lyme and/or Candida can cause Celiacs.

After looking into the subject I discovered a lot about grains. Particularly wheat. I cheat from time to time, but I doubt I'll ever go back to eating it regularly.

Here are some links:
http://www.marksdailyapple.com/definitive-guide-grains/

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/gluten-celiac-disease/

Basically, we're not engineered to eat it. Unfortunately, through human history, it's become a staple of our diet. That's why it seems to odd to cut it out.

.CT

--------------------
10.24.07 Sick
03.31.08 Diagnosed IGeneX WB with Bb
04.08.09 Fry Bart

Updated 02.06.10 � On an ABX break since July 09, gluten-free, lots of exercise.

My blog: http://www.chronictriathlete.com/wordpress

Posts: 199 | From Brooklyn, NY | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
VB
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 16824

Icon 1 posted      Profile for VB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I gave up wheat and gluten 2 years ago. I don't really cook either. Fortunately I live in a large city so I can't drive for 10 minutes without passing a health food store. It's still a pain in the arsh though.

I think Kroger now has some gluten free options though including bread in a segment of their store. The bread tastes a bit like building material in my opinion though, although if you can make it to a Whole Foods, Udi gluten free bread is pretty good. But rice noodles and rice/corn noodles are really good. You can order a lot of wheat/gluten free food online too, including frozen meals (which I eat ALL the time... Glutino is one brand). Also, you can use soft corn tortillas (which you can find almost anywhere) to make sandwich wraps.

PM me if you need more help. I've learned a lot of tricks over the past few years. Mostly though, I've just lost weight. If anything, it encourges me to eat much healthier. I used to survive on pizza, wings, beer, and philly cheesesteaks. Boy how life changes!

The issue with wheat is that really no one's body was designed to process it, at least in the quantities that we do, and some are more sensitive than others. For those with severe allergies to it, the presence of wheat/gluten causes an autoimmune reaction. Basically your immune system starts attacking the villi in your intestines and damages them, keeping you from being able to absorb nutrients from your food (essentially malnutrition even though you are eating enough). I have read that most people have some type of allergy (though most only minor and not really noticible) to wheat, with an estimated 10% of the population having a true intolerance. I don't know how accurate this is but wouldn't doubt it. Also, they are finding that it can cause other issues too, specifically neurological problems, and anyone with either autoimmune conditions, neurological disease, or other chronic illness would benefit from cutting it out of their diet.

I do know that once I am over this stupid lyme junk I will be trying it again and hope that I am able to tolerate it again one day. I miss my beer, dangit.

Posts: 453 | From TX | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wolfed Out
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 23727

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wolfed Out     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ticked,

I'm not sure the specific reason, brother.

Like I said, it was simple for me because it felt like life or death. I couldn't feel good enough to get off the couch for more than an hour a day, or stay on my feet for more than 15 minutes. I HAD to do something about it.

When I learned about mold issues and food intolerances, that was the first step I took. Subsequently, I started feeling much better within days of starting my new diet. Most likely because I had cut out all the carbs I was taking in everyday.

I know it's not easy, but this is QUALITY OF LIFE we're talking about. If you want the treatment to go smooth, we have to take things as seriously as possible. That means learning how to cook, and prepare the right foods to make this go smooth.

I used to be like you; order out everything, cook pasta occasionally, mac & cheese in the microwave; frozen dinners; etc...

Lyme taught me a valuable lesson about health.

But, it's not all that difficult anyways. I buy Uncle Ben's brown rice-in-a-bag. That takes 12 minutes to cook on a stove. Pour some beans in a pot, and simmer for 5 minutes. Chicken breast tenderloins, marinate with some rub and seasonings, then throw it in the Foreman grill or use a grill pan for 7-12 minutes. Put some olive oil in a pan, warm and throw some vegetables in their, cook for 5-10 minutes.

It becomes simple after a while.

Good luck to you,

Wolf

Posts: 829 | From MD | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wolfed Out
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 23727

VB,

LOL! I hear you about the beer, man.

I would at least love to be able to have a couple on occasion. Haven't had a sip in almost 3 months.

Oh well... Feeling good is worth the sacrifice to me.

gatorade girl
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 24896

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gatorade girl   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Do you have a Wegman's near you? They have a lot of gluten free and wheat free products. Check your vitamins too!!!! They sometimes have it. My favorite wheat free staple is rice chex...maybe that can replace the cheerios.

--------------------
gatorade girl

"I still have Mt.Everest to climb, but I have traveled across the world and arrived at the mountain".

Posts: 633 | From baltimore | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
VB
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 16824

Icon 1 posted      Profile for VB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, feeling good would make it worth the sacrifice for sure.

There is one gluten free beer I drink on rare occasion, although I pretty much gave up drinking due to abx. Redbridge, made by Budweiser, pretty good actually. Tastes kinda like a microbrew. Hard to find in stores, but pretty sure you can order online.

Posts: 453 | From TX | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MariaA
Member # 9128

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MariaA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I dunno, I've had quite a few gluten-free mixes that are pretty good. I guess if you're expecting Wonderbread, then you can't easily make that out of a mix, but denser whole-grain breads are pretty easy to find.

--------------------

Herbal Links Thread

Posts: 2552 | From San Francisco | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gwb
Member # 7273

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gwb     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://www.celiac.com/

http://www.glutenfreemall.com/

http://www.westonaprice.org/

Gary

Posts: 1349 | From OK | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kidsgotlyme
Member # 23691

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kidsgotlyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We have dealt with the gluten-free diet for years before lyme because my daughter has an intolerance to it.

We finally found a bread made from millet that she loves. It has a better texture than a brown rice flour.

And you can't get any more simple than grilling some meat and throwing some veggies in a steamer.

Good luck on your wheat free journey [Smile]

--------------------
symptoms since 1993 that I can remember. 9/2018 diagnosed with Borellia, Babesia Duncani, and Bartonella Hensalae thru DNA Connections.

Posts: 1470 | From Tennessee | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
disturbedme
Member # 12346

Icon 1 posted      Profile for disturbedme   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think most people would do better going gluten free, even if you don't have an allergy to it.

I tested positive for gluten intolerance. I was extremely surprised because I have no bowel or GI issues and that is what I always thought gluten intolerance and Celiac basically was.

I decided to go gluten free and I will never go back... It has helped with SOOOOO many symptoms, it's unbelievable.

I wish I would have tested again before going gluten free just to know if I was truly just gluten intolerant or if I have Celiac disease, but not sure if we'll ever know because I am not willing to eat gluten again just to try to get an accurate serum test (the test I took in the first place that said I was intolerant was a saliva test).

--------------------
One can never consent to creep when one feels an impulse to soar.
~ Helen Keller

My Lyme Story

Posts: 2965 | From Land of Confusion (bitten in KS, moved to PA, now living in MD) | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/entrez

PubMed Search:

Gluten - 7381 abstracts

Gluten, neurological - 122 abstracts

Gluten, brain - 133 abstracts
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Summerzen
Member # 24971

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Summerzen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just thought I would mention this place in Florida (you can order online) called Sammi's Bakery, they have some really great bread made from millet and flax.

Especially good toasted, they even had a raisin cinnamon bread and a lot of other products.

The products are kind of expensive, especially when you add in the shipping but as with any healthy choice on diet in the long run it seems worth it to me.

Posts: 24 | From Cincinnati OH | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
elley0531
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9434

Icon 1 posted      Profile for elley0531     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I order bread, wraps, crackers, and pizza crust from Sami's Bakery as well. I don't know of any other bread or the like that tastes better and is still good for you.

I don't eat too much bread anymore, but when I am really in the mood for a pizza or somethign it really helps out!

I just order a bunch and keep it in the freezer.

In my opinion they are less expensive than other GF breads also.

http://www.samisbakery.com/products/millet-and-flax/

the millet and flax products are the ones you want.

They also make burger and hot dog buns out of this mix. It really come in handy during BBQ season.

Posts: 594 | From NJ/NY | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GiGi
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 259

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GiGi         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
www.allergie-immun.de (english version)

This therapy will correct your Wheat and the multiple other allergies/dysregulations permanently.

Posts: 9834 | From Washington State | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amelia
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 17677

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Amelia     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi all: I too went gluten free and it was the best

thing I have done this far. Here is a link to a

SIMPLE great BREAD recipe that I love especially

when taking antibiotics. It is heavenly.

http://aprovechar.danandsally.com/?p=228

This made my having to go Gluten Free doable.

I also live near a Whole Foods and this literally

has been the best thing that ever happened to me

as they have great prepared foods for working

folks. I just work harder to eat there! I did

have a cereal the other day with gluten and boy

did that solidify every effort- a few hours after

the fact- I felt so LYMIE. Best- Amy

Posts: 243 | From Charleston, SC | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amelia
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 17677

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Amelia     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry- on the why... I got a quick answer

from my doc with the last consult. I am butchering

I am sure what he was trying to tell me but

basically, it is pulling another lever (tweaking)

with regard to toxins and it it just is plain

easier on our system. With the way I feel, I said

pull the levers on... It really just takes some

adjustment and any of the special stores and most

stores now have gluten free isles and tours-- at

least print material. Just stock your cabinet

with those things as well as fruits, vegis,

legumes, rice, corn tortillas, hummas and corn

chips- There is a great gluten free, soy free

trail bar too that I love (Dark Chocolate) - NUGO

Free bars:

http://www.allstarhealth.com/li_b/NUGO_NUTRITION.htm

Great link on Gluten Free products:
http://www.allstarhealth.com/li_b/NUGO_NUTRITION.htm

Hope this may help. I felt very down about this

at first and then the light came and I actually

prefer gluten free bread and the like! That

recipe above is yummy! And the bars are a

staple for a girl on the go.

Best-

Posts: 243 | From Charleston, SC | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
canefan17
Member # 22149

Icon 1 posted      Profile for canefan17     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I love my blue chips.

I eat them with so many things

Posts: 5394 | From Houston, Tx | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
[email protected]
Member # 20152

Icon 1 posted      Profile for vallapalla@yahoo.com     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As to the "why not" of wheat - I found one good reason for us Lyme people in the book (don't laugh) "Living Gluten-Free for Dummies" by Danna Korn.

Even if you do not have Celiac or intolerance or allergies, you still might want to avoid it because it contributes to Leaky Gut syndrome. From page 54:

"...wheat causes the body to produce too much of the protein zonulin. This excess of zonulin causes the junctions between cells in the small intestine to open too much . . "

Then she explains that toxins (including gluten) get through these too-big openings, 'leaking' through the intestinal wall and getting into the bloodstream.

As toxicity is a big prob for us Lyme folks, I can see why we would want to avoid this scenario.

I did NOT want to deal with all the additional work entailed with making this diet change work for my husband and I, (I barely have enough energy to heat up a frozen pizza some days) but this explanation convinced me.

I miss beer, too. A LOT. But we're not supposed to drink anyway.

Sami's Bakery Millet & Flax bread is GREAT! I just found it at my health food store last week and was delighted at how not-bad it was [Smile] .

Posts: 57 | From western Virginia | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
n.northernlights
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 17934

Icon 1 posted      Profile for n.northernlights     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, teh zonulin issue has been ig on the celiac forums.
the concept is fairly new, so there has not been research on zonulin for a long time yet.

But like the above poster says, it opens up the tight junctions in the gut.

Also, there is too much fructose and oxalate in wheat too, and these things disturb the gut flora, and most of the immune system sits in the gut anyway,

and this is why people got sick from lyme to start with, they could not fight the lyme infection because of a compromised immune system.

At least in theory.

I definitely cannot handle gluten.

Posts: 366 | From Europe | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wisconsin
Member # 14522

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wisconsin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One more thing...since I first posted a reply, our family tried bread from Sami's Bakery in FL. It was mentioned above also.

We have tried a LOT of gluetn free stuff. This is the best I've ever tasted. Most of the breads we've tried fool you. At first bite you think this could work. After chewing for a few moments you feel like you have a mouthful of sand.

Sami's taste the most like the bread we're used to. I mentioned a recipe above that is good, but it's still has a different taste than what you expect bread to taste like. AND, you have to make it yourself.

I just ordered cookies, more bread and buns on line from them also.

They have a disclaimer that states there could be traces of gluten/dairy in the bread. I called the bakery and they said they're very careful, but legally they need that disclaimer because their bakery is not dedicated completely to gluten free products.

That works for us because neither is my kitchen. Our son feels better without gluten/dairy, but it isn't an extreme allergy that would be life threatening if he were exposed to some. They need disclaimers like that for those particular cases.

Posts: 44 | From Prairie du Sac | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ticked
Member # 24336

Alright! Thanks to one and all for the information/suggestions! I've done some more research, read the links, and this is all starting to make more sense.

It's just amazing how counter this whole grain-free diet runs compared to what we've been "taught" for so many years!!

For starters,I'm placing an order to Sami's Bakery tomorrow and try some of their different breads.

As I'm trying to wean off Subway's, could I at least get their wrap? Isn't it better than the wheat bread, as in a LESS quantity of bread?

I'm certainly ready to do what I can to feel BETTER!!

Thanks to everyone for the meal suggestions. I'll take it a step at a time. I'm still thinking turkey sandwiches, but at least now they can be on millet and flax bread! :-/

Chronic Triathlete
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15245

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chronic Triathlete   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It feels weird because once we get out of grade school, all of our nutritional education comes from TV shows, advertising and the government. None of whom are interested in putting health before dollars.

For example:
http://chronictriathlete.com/wordpress/why-does-a-salad-cost-more-than-a-big-mac

As for cheating, when I do cheat, it's generally because I get a wrap. However, I've gotten comfortable with opening up the wrap and eating the insides without the tortilla. This is a great way to eat burritos. Enchiladas and soft tacos are traditionally made with corn tortillas so they are good options.

Chow down.
.CT

--------------------
10.24.07 Sick
04.08.09 Fry Bart

Updated 02.06.10 � On an ABX break since July 09, gluten-free, lots of exercise.

Posts: 199 | From Brooklyn, NY | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Some corn wraps have wheat added; some don't. Ask to see the ingredients and also look for MSG (avoid if that is there by any of its names).

A regular "wrap" at Subway (or anywhere else) will have a ton of gluten, too.

What works is to ask for all the sandwich ingredients on a plate or in a wide bowl, and silverware. Or just ask for extra lettuce to use as the wrap.

Even a tiny trace of gluten can affect the brain so much that those with celiac who use a toaster cannot use the same toaster as other family members do who eat wheat bread. Just a trace matters.

Yes, it can be a hassle. But this is one part that we really can have control over and it does make a huge difference. It helps give us more of a chance against some very staggering odds. Avoiding gluten might just be the difference between who has a chance of getting better and who might not.

There is no "cheating" as the body and brain know if gluten has been consumed - and effects can last as long as six months in the brain, according to some abstracts at PubMed.

My emphasis is not to be mean or make this like some hazing in order to belong. I am still far from well (mostly for lack of LLMDs and treatment) so maybe I know how essential it is to be as good as we can with self-care. There is very little room to slack off on what we can control.

I have genetic celiac so it may be different for me than others but I know of many times when I got just a bit of gluten (either by mistake or my weakness) . . . at least 5 times over several years - each time I had a seizure within 3 days. Actually, there seemed something striking about that 3 day time lag. So, yes, I can tell you that the body knows. And stomach symptoms are often absent. Gluten causes brain fog and body pain, etc.

My stupidity also caused some major problems a few times when I told myself that spelt has less gluten than wheat so that is should be okay. I was very wrong to have been so stupid about that. Just after eating a spelt roll at the break in a medical lecture, I had one of the loudest and violent seizures I've ever had. Injuries took about a year to resolve.

I have no doubt that the spelt contributed to that and may have been the last straw. Only then did I look it up. Spelt actually has about the same amount of gluten as wheat. But, then, I finally did my homework and learned that even just a tiny TRACE makes a difference.

Gluten is in Wheat, Rye, Barley, Spelt and Kamut (Kamut is a grain and type of Khorasan Wheat).

Also, never be fooled by "Mexican" or ""Spanish" Rice. I got clobbered thinking it was just rice. After coming out of haze days afterward, I called and they read me the ingredients on the bag: gluten was the first ingredient just after rice.

========

www.celiacsolution.com/hidden-gluten.html

Hidden Sources of Gluten
-

[ 03-27-2010, 01:52 PM: Message edited by: Keebler ]

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chronic Triathlete
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15245

If you're really concerned about it, I think the best course of action to take before buying multiple toasters is, like Keebler's site link suggests, see a doctor who's educated in testing.

Blood tests are the first step. Biopsy of the small intestine is second, but even then you have to go by symptoms for the most part.

.CT

--------------------
10.24.07 Sick
04.08.09 Fry Bart

karenl
Member # 17753

Icon 1 posted      Profile for karenl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I also just started wheat free and also only organic veggies and I started cooking more and more.

I never tried organic veggies before but now I really want them all the time. I feel the difference.

Gigi recommends the allergie immun. I got my papers today and it is not only wheat but also corn and soy and milk. I highly recommend that test for only 75!!!!

After the therapie you can eat wheat again.
Gigi, is it really working? and thanks I only ordered it because you personally recommended it.

I can get rye bread at Publix. It is a little darker and also with sunflower and you need to start slowly so your bowels can get used to this bread. After a while it tastes great. It is in the section where the pre-packed bread is.

Posts: 1834 | From US | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
utz20
Member # 17058

Icon 1 posted      Profile for utz20     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ticked:
My ND told me to not eat wheat. He's not worried about "gluten-free diet", just wheat specifically.

We've discussed so much, I can't really remember the reason, just that's it's important for me to leave off wheat and all wheat products.

I told him I eat Cheerios nearly every morning. And that I eat oatmeal occasionally, and he said those aren't a problem.

I've been eating 100% whole wheat bread for years and thought I was the man,(lol) and doing myself a big a favor! It's gonna be very tough giving up sandwiches, Subways, etc. I don't have a local health food store to get some kind of nonwheat bread. Bummer.

What's a single guy that hates to cook to do? :-/

Posts: 27 | From SW VA | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
utz20
Member # 17058

Icon 1 posted      Profile for utz20     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was wheat free for 20 years before I got this lyme. It seems that the hybridized wheat we have all been eating since the 50's can set up an inflammation situation similar to or related to an allergic reaction and can lower your immune activity while your body tries to figure out what this odd protein is. I was able to handle spelt flour which acts pretty much like wheat flour. Gluten free breads don't work for me because of the corn or potato starch and I can't do any yeast breads because of the ABX.
My favorite fill the bread gap recipe is:

1 3/4 cup light rye flour
1/4 cup dark rye flour
1/2 cup teff flour
1 tea salt
2 tea baking powder
2 tea caraway seeds
2 TB olive oil
1 cup water

Mix it all together, add enough flour so you can handle it and divide it into 6 or 7 oval patties. Put them into a large iron skillet or cookie sheet and poke several times with a fork. Bake at 400 degrees for 20 minutes.

It is simple and smells good baking. Makes good sandwiches.

Posts: 27 | From SW VA | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MariaA
Member # 9128

rye has gluten!

--------------------

Herbal Links Thread

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
And . . . Cheerios. You might want to confirm ingredients at the official site but this is just one list of ingredients I found:

http://www.chacha.com/question/what-are-the-ingredients-in-cheerios

The ingredients in Cheerios are whole grain oats, modified corn starch, corn starch, sugar, salt, tocopherols, trisodium phosphate, calcium carbonate, natural color, and wheat ingredients.

========

Your ND may say avoid wheat but most LLMDs go farther strongly encouraging a gluten-free diet. It could make the difference in being able to get better or not.
-

GiGi
Member # 259

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GiGi         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Allergie Immun Therapy eliminates wheat and gluten/gliadin allergies aka dysregulations.

The Leaky Gut condition that is caused by these type allergies does not heal overnight. It probably takes many months. But The major symptoms do not appear any longer.

It is very possible that instead of thinking of a wheat/gluten allergy, the symptoms are caused by some of the thousands of chemicals that are used in storing, processing, etc. and these cannot be corrected with the first round of drops, but usually will be corrected in following months as you go through the therapy. My son, who thought half ofhis life he had a wheat allergy, actually was bothered by the chemicals and organ blockages caused by them, and is no longer walking around with stuffy head, nose, chest! after 7 or 8 bottles of the AI therapy.

Often a symptom is caused by combinations of allergies and all need to be found and addressed. AI is doing just that. But sometimes it takes more time to get the total benefit of the treatment.

Good luck, KarenI

Posts: 9834 | From Washington State | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement