LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Spiro Stat Technologies -- New Borrelia Testing Lab

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Spiro Stat Technologies -- New Borrelia Testing Lab
seibertneurolyme
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 6416

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seibertneurolyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://www.spirostat.com

Hubby called and talked to Dr Snow who is one of the scientists at the lab.

The website has very little info on the test specifics. Per Dr Snow the test is a proprietary DNA assay using some sort of PCR technology.

Test kits costs $50 -- can be ordered by patient or doc. The test costs an additional $450 for a total of $500. Turnaround time for the test is about 2 weeks. There is only one test panel available which tests for all the organisms listed on the website.

Per Dr Snow the lab has found all 6 Borrelia species listed on the website as well as all of the other organisms listed. They have an electron microscope and for research are trying to document the test results visually as well.

This sounds like another step forward to me.

Hope to have hubby tested by this lab later this year.

Bea Seibert

Posts: 7306 | From Martinsville,VA,USA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MazzyStar
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 22017

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MazzyStar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How ia this lab different than Igenix?

--------------------
Lyme, Babs, Ehrlichia

www.mommalyme.com

Posts: 276 | From Kansas | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pinelady
Member # 18524

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pinelady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would feel better about this if they would say

they tested for all bands and they were affiliated

with a Lyme group on our side. I can't help it-I've

been duped by lies and lyme.

--------------------
Suspected Lyme 07 Test neg One band migrating in IgG region
unable to identify.Igenex Jan.09IFA titer 1:40 IND
IgM neg pos
31 +++ 34 IND 39 IND 41 IND 83-93 +
DX:Neuroborreliosis

Posts: 5850 | From Kentucky | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seibertneurolyme
Member # 6416

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seibertneurolyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is not an antibody test so no bands involved. It is some sort of PCR test but I am not totally sure -- don't think it is real time PCR but something maybe even newer and more advanced.

This is a pretty new lab -- not exactly sure how long they have been in business.

According to Dr Snow they will be present at various trade booths and Lyme conferences later this year as they gear up.

I found the lab listed on the website of a naturopath who also listed IGeneX, MDL and Bowen Lab as other tickborne testing labs.

Because the lab does PCR testing I am just not sure yet about the number of false negatives. That is the real disadvantage of PCR tests.

Bea Seibert

Posts: 7306 | From Martinsville,VA,USA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seibertneurolyme
Member # 6416

Pinelady,

The fact that the lab says they are finding the European strains of Lyme tells me that they are obviously not IDSA fans. I am pretty sure there is not a single pubmed article published that acknowledges that the borrelia afzelii and borrelia garinii strains can be found in U.S. ticks. Hubby had another test from a lab which has since closed that indicated he might have these 2 strains of Lyme instead of the more common borrelia burgdorferi.

Brandi,

This lab only does PCR testing -- means they are looking for the actual DNA of the bacteria -- not antibodies which are an immune system response.

Also the lab tests for some things that I have never seen tested for at any other lab -- such as brachyspira aalborgi and brachyspira hyodysenteriae -- I had to look those up. They are gastrointestinal spirochetes. Would love to have hubby tested for those.

Bea Seibert

sutherngrl
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 16270

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sutherngrl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I hope this is indeed some new and improved technology.
Posts: 4035 | From Mississippi | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pinelady
Member # 18524

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pinelady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I hope this is not it!
http://www.journals.uchicago.edu/doi/abs/10.1086/648674

MAJOR ARTICLE
2‐Tiered Antibody Testing for Early and Late Lyme Disease Using Only an Immunoglobulin G Blot with the Addition of a VlsE Band as the Second‐Tier Test

--------------------
Suspected Lyme 07 Test neg One band migrating in IgG region
unable to identify.Igenex Jan.09IFA titer 1:40 IND
IgM neg pos
31 +++ 34 IND 39 IND 41 IND 83-93 +
DX:Neuroborreliosis

Posts: 5850 | From Kentucky | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seibertneurolyme
Member # 6416

once again -- the lab does not do antibody testing -- only PCR testing. May be beneficial for people like hubby who never test positive on antibody tests.

Bea Seibert

cactus
Member # 7347

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cactus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Anyone else used this lab?

I have recently heard some good reviews about it.

Curious if anyone else here has experience with them?

Bea, did you send off a sample and get significant results? If that's not too nosey? (And if you see this again, since this is an old post!)

This is a lab looking for genetic materials again, just to make sure there is no confusion -

--------------------
�Did you ever stop to think, and forget to start again?� - A.A. Milne

Posts: 1987 | From No. VA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seibertneurolyme
Member # 6416

Cactus,

No -- We did not test with this lab -- decided to save our money -- glad we did as hubby is now on 2 IV antibiotics.

Deja vu -- Got an email from someone on another forum today. They have positive Fry slide -- but were negative on both Galaxy Labs and SpiroStat so now their doc doesn't want to treat. Person has severe neuro symptoms including seizures -- sounds a lot like hubby.

Bea Seibert

cactus
Member # 7347

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cactus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bea, thanks for replying.

It sounds like hubby is making strides without more tests - I hope the IV is working well for him.

LLMD says she's had good results with this lab picking up various strains and other infections though - so that's promising.

Looks like it might be one of those tests where a positive is significant, and a negative means only that there was no genetic material present in the particular sample that the lab received.

Sending good healing thoughts to hubby,
Cactus

--------------------
�Did you ever stop to think, and forget to start again?� - A.A. Milne

Posts: 1987 | From No. VA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
capebite
Member # 9789

Icon 1 posted      Profile for capebite   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I ust recenty had spiriostat and was initially skeptical as the first test came back negative. I had it repeated with a capliiary finger stick added to the venous sample and this time the test came back positive for babesia microti and anaplasma. anaplasma was positive a number of years ago and treated with IV Doxy but babesia microti tested mutiple times by multiple labs negative!!! Capillary testing was the difference!!! An internet search reveals this is the best testing for babesia!!! ABABS by Byron white and rifing with DNA frequencies causing HUGE flare of symptoms. depression, exhaustion, chills, shakes so hopefull we are finaly getting somewhere. pm for questions.
Posts: 67 | From cape cod | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sparkle7
Member # 10397

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sparkle7     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sounds really good. Thanks for posting.

I hope others will post over time so we can assess if this is worthwhile.

I'm so tired of not being sure what exactly is the issue with my health. I didn't want to keep spending money on tests that may or may not be accurate.

It would be great if this place has a reliable test.

Posts: 7772 | From Northeast, again... | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sparkle7
Member # 10397

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sparkle7     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
up...
Posts: 7772 | From Northeast, again... | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement