LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » calm before the storm???

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: calm before the storm???
stickymommy
Member # 24233

Icon 1 posted      Profile for stickymommy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I saw dr s. in pa 2 weeks ago and he said yes to lyme. he put me on oral doxy . it's weird but i feel better already. it could be just the cycle? but i am wondering if it is the calm before the storm. i am not a patient person, just want answers and a finish to the misery. dr said he would only put me on 1 antibiotic for now, and to be patient. any suggestions?
Posts: 41 | From Akron, Ohio | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ping
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 6974

Icon 2 posted      Profile for ping     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
stickymommy - That's a very interesting name you have here...

Yes, it's likely the calm before the storm (unfortunately). As for your impatience, well, I can't say for sure, but you're quite possibly in for the lesson(s) of your life in developing that area of your personality. I certain got my lessons handed to me.

Best to you and although I know you hate hearing this - Be patient.

--------------------
ping
"We are more than containers for Lyme"

Posts: 1302 | From Back in TX again | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
anthropisces
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15672

Icon 1 posted      Profile for anthropisces     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
learn to be patient. if you get cured quickly, then it is a gift . if it takes longer then you must follow the doctor's orders for as long as it takes. follow your doctor's instructions (who you of course must trust) and don't waver.
Posts: 152 | From West Palm Bech, FL | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MorningSong
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19989

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MorningSong     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My personal non-professional opinion would be it depends how quickly the infection was caught.

My infection was not caught until 1 month later. I was on Doxy 6 weeks, felt great afterwards, and was informed I was healed. Then 2 months later I got really ill and was informed it was not the Lyme, but months later it turned out it was and was put on IVs.

However, 2 of my neighbors caught theirs very quickly, started and finished antibiotics, and have been symptom free for over 1 year.

It is important to find a Lyme Literate doctor (LLMD) to test for other pathogens that ticks transmit (called co-infections such as Babesia, Bartonella, Ehlichia, etc).

I wish you well and a complete recovery.

Posts: 515 | From In His Loving Care | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ping
Member # 6974

Icon 14 posted      Profile for ping     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ditto MorningSong's comments... Excellent.

--------------------
ping
"We are more than containers for Lyme"

Posts: 1302 | From Back in TX again | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sutherngrl
Member # 16270

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sutherngrl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No one knows the course their lyme will take. If you got to the doctor ASAP and started antibiotics very soon after being infected, you have a good chance of a quick recovery.

If not, if months and especially a year or more went by......then yes, you are probably in for a rude awakening concerning "patience".

I hope you are one of the lucky ones with a quick recovery!

Posts: 4035 | From Mississippi | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
stickymommy
Member # 24233

Icon 1 posted      Profile for stickymommy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, I get what you are saying....I got bit 30+ years ago and have been undiagnosed for a long time. I think I spoke to soon, I have had a couple of wonderful days. I am feeling very strange this evening.Numbness of my right side,can't be good.
Posts: 41 | From Akron, Ohio | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
randibear
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 11290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for randibear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i got bit in jun, diagnosed in december, but think i've had it all my life 60+ years.

sad to say, but i agree. the absolute key is early detection.

most of us have not been that fortunate.

--------------------
do not look back when the only course is forward

Posts: 12262 | From texas | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Starfall1969
Member # 17353

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Starfall1969     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, stickymommy, patience is a virute, and it's not one that I possess either.

After a year of being treated, I was doing so much better, and the LLMD took me off one of the antibiotics that I was on, thinking we were through the worst.

That lasted a month before the symptoms all came back again, so he put me back on the med we had just stopped.

Now my vision is taking a sudden downturn (yes, that was one of my original symptoms, but not this bad), and I'm wondering what's going on.

My lyme friends here keep telling me to be patient, but that just doesn't happen with me. [Frown]

Posts: 1682 | From Dillsburg, PA | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wolfed Out
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 23727

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wolfed Out     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
stickymommy,

Although I agree with most everyone is saying, please don't get caught up in this mindset that you're going to get hit like a tornado.

In fact, I think if you're already feeling better from just a couple weeks of antibiotics, you're very likely to have a smooth recovery.

Now, that doesn't mean you won't hit bumps along the way up, but it's great that you're already responding to your antibiotics. You will likely have what are called herx-heimer reactions; which include symptoms like dizziness, vertigo, muscle or nerve twitching, chest-tightness, joint pain, headaches, and severe mood swings; although it differs for everyone. But, you will know what it's like for you after you've had one.

The good thing is you will recover. Picture a chart on a graph that goes upward, but has little drops on the way up -- like a stock rising on wall street. Everyday won't be fantastic, but if you follow your regimen, make good decisions for your body including DIET, exercise, proper rest, no alcohol, and taking good supplements to support your recovery, your stock will keep rising in the long-run. Finding a good LLMD in your area will help you get on the proper protocol.

Lyme treatment is about quality of life and taking care of yourself for the long-term. All we can do here is support each other and offer advice on treatment plans. Unfortunately, there is no silver bullet for us all. You will have to travel the road to recovery through experimentation of supplements and ABX (offered by your LLMD) and good care of your body.

You're gonna be alright!

Good Luck,

Wolf

Posts: 829 | From MD | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sick Tick
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 23003

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sick Tick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Doxycycline can have an anti-inflammatory effect that can make folks feel better while on it....once you are done with the meds, in a few days, you will know more. Hopefully, you will still feel well!

I am not an MD-this was told to me by my infectious disease MD at the beginning of my journey.

Posts: 283 | From where the ticks are! | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pinelady
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 18524

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pinelady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No one knows for sure is right. Many docs have enough experience to tell you how long it will take.

I initially felt better and thought OH Great. This is going to be easy...I was wrong..

Not meant to pop your bubble but instead to get you in fighting mode to beat this if that is the case... Stay strong...

--------------------
Suspected Lyme 07 Test neg One band migrating in IgG region
unable to identify.Igenex Jan.09IFA titer 1:40 IND
IgM neg pos
31 +++ 34 IND 39 IND 41 IND 83-93 +
DX:Neuroborreliosis

Posts: 5850 | From Kentucky | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement