LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » sun sensitivity and Doxy

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: sun sensitivity and Doxy
utz20
Member # 17058

Icon 1 posted      Profile for utz20     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm on 400 mg of doxy along with 4500 mg of amoxicillin and though I have used spf 50, worn hats and stayed in the shade I have a very sore red nose and cold burning tingling in my hands and face, some nausea. It's been two weeks without much change.
Anyone have experience with this? I couldn't find anything in a search. I have just taken 1/2 of the doxy today but I really don't want to cut back on my bug killer.

Posts: 27 | From SW VA | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
1hunter
Member # 24438

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1hunter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
utz,

i had the same thing happen, red nose and the cold tingling thing..

Posts: 17 | From wisconsin | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
canefan17
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 22149

Icon 1 posted      Profile for canefan17     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't go in the sun while on Doxy. Simple.
Posts: 5394 | From Houston, Tx | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
utz20
Member # 17058

Icon 1 posted      Profile for utz20     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am even staying away from the windows.I have been on doxy for almost 6 months and haven't had any problem and yes it's been winter but the sun does shine and my precautions were enough. Anything that will help with this reaction?
Posts: 27 | From SW VA | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
I'm not sure who knows so I'll just suggest to call one of your local weather meteorologists and ask them to teach you how to distinguish between shade that has "bounce" from the sun and shade that does not.

Time of day, angle of the sun, etc. How much water, glass, steel, etc. around . . . . The American (Skin?) Cancer Society also may have a guide.

There must be some way to be able to find "good" shade. You would still need to wear protection but, you might be able to enjoy some time outside if you find the right park.

Even if you just have to stay indoors more, the doxy is far easier on your ears than mino might be. However if you are one of those who happens to tolerate minocycline, you might ask your doctor to change meds if you really have to be outdoors for some reason.

If you do take mino, be certain to have the very best liver support to help protect your ears and balance system as mino often causes vertigo but liver protection helps.

You don't want to be treating this for decades so do what you must to keep the dosage at therapeutic levels.

=================

For anyone considering switching from doxy to minocycline for the sunny months: 3/4 of the way down page one, there are lots of LIVER LINKS - and some posts about mino:

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=065801

Topic: TINNITUS: Ringing Between The Ears; Vestibular, Balance, Hearing with compiled links - including HYPERACUSIS
-

[ 03-28-2010, 03:54 PM: Message edited by: Keebler ]

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
http://www.soleilchic.com/

SOLEIL CHIC - UV Hats; UV Umbrellas

===================

http://www.coolibar.com/shade.html

COOLIBAR

UPF 50+ Shade Collection - Sun Umbrellas and Sun Shelters

Gloves & Sleeves - Scarves & Bandanas

--------
http://www.coolibar.com/01009.html

Protective Drape

--------------
http://www.coolibar.com/01008.html

Face Shield

===================

http://www.goodguide.com/browse/152766/top?filter=Sunscreen#filter=Sunscreen&page=1&action=top

GoodGuide ``Safe'' Sunscreen SPF 15 And Above Ratings -

without the chemical additives, petroleum products and endocrine disruptors of other sunscreens
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beachinit
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 21040

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Beachinit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ditto on tingling quick burning skin while on doxy last summer

Beachinit.

--------------------
Ideas not advice.

Posts: 448 | From Downeast Maine | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
thomasx
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13431

Icon 1 posted      Profile for thomasx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah. For some people, doxy and sun are a bad mix. I got real red in the face. Had this weird tingling in hands and face. Once your exposed and start the reaction, it doesn't take much sun to irritate your skin... even partial sun in the car would make it hurt. When outside time comes around, I believe that most LLMDs will move you off of doxy to something else, if you're an outside person. Doxy is better for cold months re the sun problem. I was concerned because I was on Doxy and was going to Disney for a week. I stopped my doxy about five days before going and was fine. That's my experience at least.
Posts: 386 | From Southeastern PA | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JR
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 16898

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, some people are more sensitive than others to sun when taking Doxy. My LLMD would not even prescribe it in the summer because of that.

I took it for a while-extreme nausea for about an hour-always had a waste basket handy in case I hurled.But then when it passed I was okay.

Posts: 365 | From Sylvania | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ann in CA
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 97

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ann in CA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Watch out for toes too! When I was on high dose doxy I walked early so I could wear long sleeves,etc, but didn't think about the sandals until I had strange looking redness on my toes and toenails. First time I had ever sunburned my toes!

Also be sure to protect the eyes with really good sunglasses. I have just had cataract surgery for the left eye only, probably due to the left side being most affected by lyme, and not being careful enough about sunglasses.

Posts: 287 | From Northern California, USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TF
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 14183

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TF     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I got the doxy burn that you are describing. It is a medication burn, and can really, really hurt.

It probably took me 30 days to get over it.

Once I got it, I was not able to sit under my kitchen sky light even for 10 seconds without terrible pain. I could not run out to my mailbox and back, etc. To get any sun on me at all in those spots set off the terrible burning.

Sun screen does not prevent the burn. You can get it through car windows and windshield. So, when driving, you must wear gloves.

Best thing is to get off the doxy. Otherwise, stay away from windows, including car windows, and don't go outside until it is totally cleared up.

When you lower your dose, you are affecting whether or not it is then able to kill the germs. Lower doses do not kill lyme; they just keep it from multiplying (called a bacteriostatic dose, rather than a bactericidal dose).

So, rather than do that on your own, I suggest you call the doctor's office to find out what you should do or go back to the prescribed dose.

Posts: 9931 | From Maryland | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
groovy2
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 6304

Icon 1 posted      Profile for groovy2   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi All --

While taking Doxi dont eat ANY Citrus
or cranberries --

It can cause Photo Toxic reaction -Google it --

The picture of what can happen will Freek you out-

Even Tiny amounts of citrus can cause this to happen-- Lemon in tea --

I was photo toxic for 2 Horrible years --
Even the light from my computer screen would
burn my skin --

I had to wear all black cloths- face mask -
hat - gloves -I was totally covered up --

Regular sun screen dose not work at all -

There is a sun screen called Blue Lizard -
It is supposed to stop all 3 forms of light-
I have not used it so I dont really know if
it works -

I finally figured out that citrus was causing
this to happen and I stopped eating ANY citrus-

After about 4 months of no citrus -
I was able to go out into the Texas sun with
no problem -- AAAAhhhh

The Tingling skin is the first signs of
Photo Toxic reaction--

The skin damage it causes is mostly permanent --

So be Very Careful -- Jay --

Posts: 2999 | From Austin tx USA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JOLA
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 23498

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JOLA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ditto about the gloves. I have pairs everywhere.

Learned very quickly how easily I burned. My

hands took months to recover. That was just from

driving. So be Careful!!!

Posts: 146 | From Vancouver, BC | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
littlebit27
Member # 24477

Icon 1 posted      Profile for littlebit27   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I got sunburned the other day and was mostly in shade. My skin only burned when I tried to itch it or it came in contact with water.

I don't have a choice but to be in the sun sometimes as I am a house painter. So I took the kids sunscreen with some serious SPF with me to work the other day.

I had to reapply twice that day, about a 7 hour day and still got a little sun, I wasn't even directly in the sun I was under a covered screen porch!

I've only been on doxy and at an apparently low dose compared to the OP (100 mg. X 2 a day) for about 20 days.

--------------------
*Brittany Lyme Aware on FB*
http://littlebithaslyme.wordpress.com/

Posts: 2310 | From Southeast | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LightAtTheEnd
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 24065

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LightAtTheEnd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I got the doxy burn on my hands when I was on a road trip for a couple of days, driving to see my LLMD.

I was wearing 85 SPF sunscreen, but I'm not sure if I missed my fingers or some rubbed off.

I got a red burn on my fingers (first time I recall having that there), on a couple of spots on my face that I may have missed with the sunscreen, and also got the weird cold tingling that I would feel on the back of my hands when I washed them.

It went away and my hands are back to normal.

I sat out in the sun on a cool, cloudy day for about an hour total, wearing a jacket, hat and 85 sunscreen, so the entire burn could have been from that or from brief walks outside.

I was trying to figure out whether any of it was through the car window, but I'm not sure.

I mostly stay indoors when I'm at home, and it's been raining a lot, so I haven't had another burn in the last 3 weeks.

I am on 400mg a day of doxy. It also causes me the nausea starting about 45 min. after I take it and lasting for an hour or two.

Sometimes it makes me vomit and sometimes it doesn't. My strategies to reduce the nausea don't always work. (Ginger capsules, ginger tea, timing the pills an hour and a half after a meal so they get through my stomach faster.)

--------------------
Don't forget to laugh! And when you're going through hell, keep going!

Bitten 5/25/2009 in Perry County, Indiana. Diagnosed by LLMD 12/2/2009.

Posts: 756 | From Inside the tunnel | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nefferdun
Member # 20157

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nefferdun     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree to stay completely out of the sun and probably quit doxy for the summer months. I could not drive in the car or sit by a window while I was on it and finally had to quit using it exactly this time of year (first of April) because I was burning so badly. I also burned my eyes.

--------------------
old joke: idiopathic means the patient is pathological and the the doctor is an idiot

Posts: 4676 | From western Montana | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
http://www.noir-medical.com/

NoIR Sunglasses

The NoIR filter systems offer ultraviolet, visible and infrared protection . . .
-

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement