LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

This topic has been moved to General Support.     next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Protein Powder Recommendations?

Author Topic: Protein Powder Recommendations?
djf2005
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 11449

Icon 5 posted      Profile for djf2005     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Please share you brand and why you like it..

I need to get some and am unsure of what kind..

Thanks in advance.

Derek

--------------------
"Experience is not what happens to you; it is what you do with what happens to you."

[email protected]

Posts: 2269 | From Lansdowne, Pa | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
randibear
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 11290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for randibear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
what's it supposed to do?

--------------------
do not look back when the only course is forward

Posts: 12262 | From texas | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MorningSong
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19989

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MorningSong     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A couple of days ago, just started "Nutritional Essentials". I just started it so I dont have any feedback. It has essential fatty acids as well and states it detoxes the liver. It is not a MLM product.

The reason I started a protein powder is that someone stated amino acids help the body overcome infection. I read a PDF of article stating the same but dont have the link.

Here is info on the product:
http://www.1inhealth.com/products/nutritional.htm

I am trying this one and then will get blood tested to see if makes a difference in protein levels. Someone else may also know of some good ones.

Posts: 515 | From In His Loving Care | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
-
PROTEIN helps build cells in our body.

Protein also helps the liver make glutathione and that helps the liver be able to better metabolize toxins.

Food, itself, is really the best source. However, as morning brings nausea for many lyme patients - and it's very hard to get a good meal together, some use of concentrated protein can be very helpful as long as it's just part of a diet full of whole foods.
----------

* WHEY protein powder

You want whey from "happy" animals, though . . . grass fed with no chemicals in their diet. I used to have a whey protein powder from New Zealand (I forget the brand) - but, now, there may be others that are from organically raised animals.

* HEMP protein powder is also excellent. Normally, this is organic and mostly comes from Canada. HEMP offers so much more in the way of nutrition besides just protein. It's very well rounded and still complex rather than some other protein powders that are too simple, too refined. Nothing needs to be added to HEMP - it's all there, naturally.

============

http://icmr.nic.in/ijmr/2006/august/0804.pdf

THE REQUIREMENTS OF PROTEIN & AMINO ACID DURING ACUTE & CHRONIC INFECTION . . .

Anura V. Kurpad - Institute of Population Health & Clinical Research, Bangalore, India 129. Indian J Med Res 124, August 2006, pp 129-148.

Excerpt:

" . . . In general, the amount of EXTRA protein that would appear to be needed is of the order of 20-25 per cent of the recommended intake, for most infections. . . ."

- 20 pages - Full article at link (or google the title if it does not go through).
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MorningSong
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19989

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MorningSong     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you Keebler [Smile] That was the PDF article I was referencing but did not have the link. I bookmarked it now.
Posts: 515 | From In His Loving Care | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mwhite18
Member # 17777

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mwhite18     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Optimum Nutrition. I use it because I weight train and its considered the best. 2009 Protein powder of the year. But this is probably just based upon protein supps that are geared towards bodybuilders,athletes etc.
Posts: 42 | From Niger | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MorningSong
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19989

How can one know if the protein powder they have chosen is good. Higher energy levels? Higher protein levels in blood work?
Keebler
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
-
From clean sources, no additives, colors, artificial flavors, etc.

Research the product, company practices . . . see what the LLMD authors recommend, etc.

It's a lot of homework but necessary - but I'll bet a lot will be by with lots of specific name brands and links. Since I started with HEMP protein powder, I never use any other kind anymore.

Most hemp is good as it's not allowed to be even grown in the U.S. Most of it is from Canada and most is either organic or raised without dangerous chemicals. I alternate brands but mostly get it from my natural foods market or VitaCost.com

Trader Joe's has a decent HEMP, too, but read the labels -- avoid the chocolate one as it contains sugar. One can add cocoa powder and stevia just fine on their own if that is preferred. Almond milk is good with it.

First thing in the morning and mid-afternoon, this helps me have better endurance and it helps also to avoid blood sugar drops.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
I can vouch for these:

http://www.vitacost.com/Nutiva-Organic-Hemp-Protein-50#IngredientFacts

Nutiva Organic HEMP Protein

======================

http://www.betterhealthinternational.com/lib_ImmunoPro.asp

IMMUNO PRO RX

The Finest Biologically Active Whey Protein

- Be sure to read the detailed article here

- they close with their quality assurance:

* The milk for ImmunoPro Rx and all of our exclusive whey protein products is from herds that graze on disease-free, pesticide-free, chemical free, natural grass pastures and the milking cows are not subject to any chemicals, hormones, antibiotics, genetically modified organisms, hyperimmunization or injected pathogens.

They do not ingest any unnatural man-made substances. There is no history of bovine disease with the milk cows or dairy. The cows have never been fed any imported food or cannibalistic by-products.
-

sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sixgoofykids   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Biochem vanilla whey.

Moved to general support, there's a link at the top that will take you directly to the new location.

--------------------
sixgoofykids.blogspot.com

Posts: 13449 | From Ohio | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement