LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » So aerobic exercise is out?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: So aerobic exercise is out?
kissygoose
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 21314

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kissygoose     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was reading a bit from one of the posts and documents and noticed that we are to avoid aerobic exercise.

I generally get on the treadmill for walks as it's about all I can manage.

So am I reading it right, that I shouldn't do that?

Posts: 115 | From Central PA | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Especially during acute times, it's very important not to over-do. More important if you are not able to treat the infection. Aerobic exercise with infection can damage the heart.

As I see from some of your posts in the past few days, you were dx last July, got 3 weeks of one antibiotic. (Which was a gross undertreatment, so sorry to hear.)

Now, you're having lots of symptoms, you had positive tests & the bulls eye rash - but no regular doctor will treat you now - you are waiting to see a LLMD.

So, since you are likely dealing with active infection that is not being treated, it's more important to be cautious. If what you are doing now about all you can manage, you may be doing too much - too fast, too long. Try slowing down to a stroll and cutting your time. Also - not every day.

Walking slowly is good. Just not at aerobic speed until nearly better. Qi Gong is less taxing. Tai Chi, too, but that involves so much head turning. Restorative Yoga (not "power" yoga). Other exercises are detailed here but you may not be at a stage yet for some of that:

=============

http://www.ilads.org/lyme_disease/B_guidelines_12_17_08.pdf

Dr. Burrascano's Treatment Guidelines (2008) - 37 pages

Joseph J. Burrascano, Jr., M.D.

* Page 27 for SUPPORTIVE THERAPY & the CERTAIN ABSOLUTE RULES

* Pages 31 - 32 for LYME DISEASE REHABILITATION and specifics in coordinating a rest / work-out schedule and Physical Therapy.

================

www.ott.zynet.co.uk/polio/lincolnshire/library/uk/post-me.html

or http://tinyurl.com/33rxy8

From Dr. Bruno's "Fainting and Fatigue" in the Spring 1996 CFIDS Chronicle

Post-polio expert Dr. Richard Bruno points out that physical over-activity is the biggest cause of post-polio symptoms. [3]

Excerpt:

``when mice infected with Coxsackie B3 were forced to swim in a warm pool, the virulence of the virus was drastically augmented.

In fact, viral replication was augmented 530 times. This did horrendous things to the animals' hearts. We all know that to play squash with the flu can lead to heart attacks.

Much the same danger can be courted by undertaking hard exercise with M.E. (CFS).'' - End quote.
-

[ 03-31-2010, 02:21 PM: Message edited by: Keebler ]

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
In addition to treating the infection, attention to adrenal support is vital. Cordyceps is recommend here:
============

This is included in Burrascano's Guidelines, but you may want to be able to refer to it separately, too:

http://www.lymepa.org/Nutritional_Supplements.pdf

Nutritional Supplements in Disseminated Lyme Disease

J.J. Burrascano, Jr., MD (2008)

========================

This book, by an ILADS member LLMD, holds great information about treatments options and support measures, including those to help adrenal/endocrine function:

http://tinyurl.com/6lq3pb (through Amazon)

THE LYME DISEASE SOLUTION (2008)

- by Kenneth B. Singleton , MD; James A. Duke. Ph.D. (Foreword)

You can read more about it here and see customer reviews.

Web site: www.lymedoctor.com

======================

http://www.prohealth.com/ME-CFS/library/showArticle.cfm?libid=14383&B1=EM031109C

http://tinyurl.com/detwtt

Underactive Adrenal Gland - Stresses and Problems with the Body's 'Gear Box' - by Dr. Sarah Myhill, MD

=======================

Many libraries carry this book and you can read 95 customer reviews here (average 4.5 star out of 5) AND see inside the book:

www.amazon.com/Adrenal-Fatigue-Century-Stress-Syndrome/dp/1890572152/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1263516913&sr=8-1

Adrenal Fatigue: The 21st Century Stress Syndrome

~ James L. Wilson, ND, DC, PhD, Johnathan V. Wright, MD

About $10. And qualifies for free shipping with a total $25. Purchase at Amazon

======================

http://tinyurl.com/y8bd9k2

Curcumin Prevents Some Stress-Related Changes

=======================

In addition to so many other factors, another reason that exercise often requires so much effort and can have devastating results, lyme damages our mitochrondria (the tiny energy centers of each cell). Lyme then becomes a mitochrondial dysfunction that needs specific attention to prevent further damage.

MITOCHRONDIA issues are discussed here as well as CARDIAC SUPPORT:

http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php/topic/1/77325

Topic: To everyone with cardiac symptoms please read!

-

[ 03-31-2010, 02:45 PM: Message edited by: Keebler ]

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mrpotto
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15123

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mrpotto     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Search the threads for varying opinions. I've been running through my lyme/bart. I was an active runner prior and this helps me keep sane (and in shape). I have backed off from my pre lyme 40-50 miles a week to around 20 though and don't consider what I do a "workout". I used to run fairly hard and non I basically jog.

I've was dx in Dec of 2003 and I'm currently 46 years young.

My condition has been isolated to above the neck (head and facial neuropathy, panic, anxiety, detached feeling occasionally, insomnia) so I don't have joint issues or other typicial lyme symptoms.

I definitely back off when I'm not feeling well enough although more times than not - when I have convinced myself that I'll feel better after a run - I usually feel great afterwards.

As Keebler said, its all where you are at in the disease.

I have read that exercise is essential though and that the bugs don't like higher body temps.

Chris

--------------------
dx in Dec 2003
tested 2x positive for bart
Lightly Chelating
3 weeks off abx and 1 week on:

10 day course a month: Plaq/Ceftin/Rifampin/Biaxin with Tindamax on last two days

Posts: 187 | From PA | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
It's not so much the higher temps from exercise (as getting too hot can cause a set back for many patients). It's more about the increased oxygen exchange and improved circulation from exercise. Fortunately, that can also come from non-aerobic exercise. Breathing exercises can help, too.

One difference in those who are able to do more is that they have treated - or are currently treating the infection (and likely have liver, adrenal and cardiac support).

Untreated infection and aerobic exercise can be very damaging. Once you get on treatment, you will likely be able to do more, in increments.

With lyme, treating the infection is the cornerstone. That comes first and you gradually build from there. I recall that you asked about what you can do while you wait for a LLMD appt. in May.

Those things listed for you will help some so that once you've been with that for a little while (a couple weeks at least), walking at a slow or moderate pace should become easier. This will get better.
-

ladeedah
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 21642

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ladeedah     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I too am trying to get back into working out because my body fell so out of shape after the Lyme.

Is cardio really that bad for you? I always feel so relaxed after.

Monday I did 30 min on the elliptical and did a Pilates class at night. I felt pretty good Tuesday, so I just did 30 min at lunch.

I went two days in a row and perhaps that is why I feel like crap today.

I try to use the machines like the elliptical or cross trainer but I certainly don't work as hard as I use to and do only 30 min at most.

Yoga is a big help, especially warm flow yoga. It's slow and the heat feels good for the muscles as you stretch.

Posts: 134 | From NY | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Pilates can be adapted to fit anyone's needs as can the strength training in Dr. B's guidelines.

Q: "Is cardio really that bad for you?" Yes, it can be. Indeed.

Links above explain the safety concerns. And, it depends on the person. For this thread, it's all about someone who is not being treated and has major symptoms. That's far different from someone in their 8th month of treatment.

Unaware, I did major damage to myself, trying to push, push, push, with aerobics when I was seriously ill - unknowingly - with 3 tick-borne infections.

But, because most doctors said I just needed to exercise, I put all I had into it. I wound up collapsed on the street, in a swimming pool and even on a tread mill during a stress test. Just passed out. And I kept trying until I nearly died. And it was not much, just walking up a hill . . . slow swimming . . . but it was too much for me at that time.

Had I know then the dangers of aerobic exercise with untreated or under-addressed infections, I could have prevented damage.

So, if I seem passionate about this, there is a reason. Yes, cardio CAN be bad in the presence of active infection.
-

ladeedah
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 21642

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ladeedah     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is your's still active? Or have you gotten under control?
Posts: 134 | From NY | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/entrez

Pub-Med Search:

Restorative Yoga - 5 abstracts

Tai Chi - 598 abstracts

Qi Gong - 2725 abstracts

Pilates - 51 abstracts

One of those:

Pilates for improvement of muscle endurance, flexibility, balance, and posture.

Excerpt: . . . This study suggests that individuals can improve their muscular endurance and flexibility using relatively low-intensity Pilates exercises that do not require equipment or a high degree of skill and are easy to master and use within a personal fitness routine.

================

Also good, search Google for: "Ai Chi" (warm pool gentle exercise)
-

jasek
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 12395

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jasek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am well into treatment, 10 yrs. and my Dr. encourages exercises. If I do to much I pay for it for about one day. If I don't do it I get depressed beyond belief. I don't know the rules for just starting to treat active infections. I was on I.V. for 6 wks. and struggled for minimal normalcy for a couple yrs. Now that I'm well into treatment I try to listen to my body. The more I sweat and get heated the better I feel. Hot Yoga is my favorite. It takes time to figure all of this out. If you aren't sure, ask your Dr. if he is a good llmd you will get the answer you need for your personal situation. That is the key word. We are all different. Good Luck.
Posts: 161 | From midwest | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mrpotto
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15123

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mrpotto     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My doc has also said to keep running.

I agree with Jasek that if I go more than 2 days without running, I start to feel like crud cookies and start craving a run or a sweat.

Good advice to listen to what your LLMD says and to always listen to your body.

--------------------
dx in Dec 2003
tested 2x positive for bart
Lightly Chelating
3 weeks off abx and 1 week on:

10 day course a month: Plaq/Ceftin/Rifampin/Biaxin with Tindamax on last two days

Posts: 187 | From PA | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
disturbedme
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 12346

Icon 1 posted      Profile for disturbedme   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I exercise. I have found that it helps me to generally feel better about myself and sometimes gives me more energy. A couple of years ago, if I exercised at all, I'd get sicker afterwards, but now I am able to work out and usually not have that awful exercise fatigue or worsening the next day.

I don't work out very hard though. I have Wii Fit and I'll use that ocassionally. I also have EA Active for the Wii Fit and I love that and use that the most. Usually work out with that 3 or 4 times a week, 20 to 30 minutes a day, sometimes less depending on how I'm feeling that day/week. With the EA Active, the program uses mostly calisthenics and resistance bands and using your own body weight for resistance with lunges and squats and calf-raises, etc., etc. There is some cardio to the workout, but not much, and with the program you can skip over any exercise you don't want to do.

But I feel like exercise is important... for everyone. So I have tried very hard to make it a part of my day/week.

--------------------
One can never consent to creep when one feels an impulse to soar.
~ Helen Keller

My Lyme Story

Posts: 2965 | From Land of Confusion (bitten in KS, moved to PA, now living in MD) | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LightAtTheEnd
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 24065

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LightAtTheEnd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is based on what I have read, if I understand it correctly. I am not an expert.

Aerobic exercise can lower your immune system for a day or more afterwards, thus making Lyme symptoms worse. That could be why some people "crash" after heavy exercise.

Aerobic exercise can also be taxing to the heart, hard on the joints, and risky for balance, if you already have issues with those things. Dehydration may also cause lightheadedness and fainting.

Exercise also releases endorphins, which could be part of why it helps fight depression and makes you feel happier. Endorphins also increase natural killer cell activity, and NK cells kill Lyme, though that could cause a herx and make you feel physically worse.

Aerobic exercise also causes you to sweat, which is a form of detox, so that may help you feel better afterwards.

Returning to running may be good for former runners and bad for nonrunners.

Yoga and gentle weightlifting can release the endorphins and boost the mood and natural killer cells without depressing the immune system for a day first.

Just go slow, be cautious, and listen to your body, and see what helps you. Don't do what sets you back.

--------------------
Don't forget to laugh! And when you're going through hell, keep going!

Bitten 5/25/2009 in Perry County, Indiana. Diagnosed by LLMD 12/2/2009.

Posts: 756 | From Inside the tunnel | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement