LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Endocrinologist

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Endocrinologist
mrpotto
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15123

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mrpotto     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Has any one seen one of these type of doctors? I have recently been dxed with a low thyroid and was thinking about seeing someone recomended in my area in this field.

I have really only seen LLMDs and wonder if I might have more success in my lyme treatment if I get second opinions and treatment in other areas outside of lyme.

What other tests/things should I have an endocrinologist help me with?

Thanks

--------------------
dx in Dec 2003
tested 2x positive for bart
Lightly Chelating
3 weeks off abx and 1 week on:

10 day course a month: Plaq/Ceftin/Rifampin/Biaxin with Tindamax on last two days

Posts: 187 | From PA | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pinelady
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 18524

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pinelady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
He might could help with all your hormones if he is

any good. I had a very hard time finding a good

one. It was my 4th who finally helped me.

--------------------
Suspected Lyme 07 Test neg One band migrating in IgG region
unable to identify.Igenex Jan.09IFA titer 1:40 IND
IgM neg pos
31 +++ 34 IND 39 IND 41 IND 83-93 +
DX:Neuroborreliosis

Posts: 5850 | From Kentucky | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TF
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 14183

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TF     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A good endo can be a very valuable doctor. It was an endo that figured out that I had lyme disease and tested me for it, after 10 years of going to doctors to try to get a diagnosis!

It was an endo that tested me for Vit D deficiency and I had that too. He treated me for it and got me back to normal. He has me take Vit D daily for the rest of my life.

They know a lot more about the body than an internist and a gyn. So, they will check hormones and other things a regular doc might not check. And, most importantly, they will know how to bring your hormones into balance.

For example, you definitely want to see an endo if you have thyroid problems or blood sugar problems. Anyone with diabetes should see an endo rather than a regular internist, in my opinion.

Posts: 9931 | From Maryland | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rosealee
Member # 25164

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rosealee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
mrpotto,I have underactive thyroid disease.I dont know if you have done research on symptoms of a low thyroid it is very serious and diffently can make your lyme symptoms more sever.

The symptoms are very identical to alot of lyme.anziety,fatique,very tired,brain fog,dimenta etc.I have been through hell and back.

your tsh needs to be in range to start feeling better.there are many sites to find out what you need to know also you can type in underactivethyroid.com and also google.

This has been a rel bummer for me when i was diagnosed with lymes disease after i already have underactive thyroid.

It will complicate the lymes .untill you get your blood test(tsh) in range and keeping it there.Take care of yourself i know its easier said then done.god bless

--------------------
rosealee

Posts: 2 | From newjersey-south jersey | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kim812
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 17644

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kim812     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
yes..an endocrinologist helped me too. It seems as though my llmd had me on the totally wrong doses of thyroid meds (T3 and Levoxyl) and it depressed my TSH to the point of non existant.

It has taken my new endo over 5 months to get the dose straightened out and she told me I have primary hypothyroidism and not central like I was told.

I have to have my TSH and other T3-T4 and free on both done every month until I am stable.

She is also going to do an adrenal stim test on me as soon as I can get my cortef down to a lower level to see if I truly have adrenal dysfunction.

It was the BEST thing I did was to see an endo..

Posts: 343 | From North Carolina | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
elley0531
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9434

Icon 1 posted      Profile for elley0531     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had to go through a few endos until I found a good one, but I love my current one. She knows I have Lyme but I also have Addison's disease which is what she treats.

She got me on the right medication at the right doses and is very good at listening to what i am saying about illnesses. I have been able to get at least a decent chunk of my life and sanity back thanks to her.

Posts: 594 | From NJ/NY | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MariaA
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 9128

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MariaA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Curious- what does an endo do about bad cortisol levels (like low daytime/high nighttime)? This is a problem for many people with Lyme, and I THINK (might be wrong) it's also tied to thyroid issues. What did you guys get treated with for this?

--------------------
Symptom Free!!! Thank you all!!!!

Find me at Lymefriends, I post under the same name.
diet: http://lymefriends.ning.com/group/healthylowcarbrecipes
Homemade Probiotics thread
Herbal Links Thread

Posts: 2552 | From San Francisco | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kellephant
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 24885

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kellephant     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i'd go!

before i was on medicine for my hypothyroidism i slept 17 hours a day... now i sleep 12. still a lot, but hey, it's 5 hours less at least!

Posts: 220 | From Kansas | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement