LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Elisa tests and false positives

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Elisa tests and false positives
kissygoose
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 21314

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kissygoose     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok, I appologise in advance for asking this but I'm gaving trouble getting my brain around this so I was hoping someone could help me understand this.

I've been reading all the recommended literature I can get my hands on on here and there is a lot of talk of false negative Elisa tests which go on to positive Western Blots.

Everything says that the Elisa is a low sensitive test which accounts for these false negatives.

But nowhere have I found anything that explains false positive tests.

In my mind if the test is such low sensitivity that would mean that a positive test would be even more significant, right? Or am I not understanding what it means to be low sensitive.

I'm trying to figure this out not only for my own information but also so I can present this to my dr. tomorrow.

I have the information I need on the Western Blot test that shows the bands that are positive are specific to lyme regardless of what the cdc says.

But I'm just having trouble understanding the ELisa test. Sorry, I'm just one of those people that have to work things out piece by piece.

Thank you for any assistance you can give me.

Posts: 115 | From Central PA | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
massman
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lots of testing is worthless, useless BS.

Lyme is a clinical diagnosis. This means a detailed history, symptoms and physical exam.

It has evolved into an organism that hides itself really well - so well we often can't find it.

If your docs do not realize this get some new ones.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kissygoose
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 21314

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kissygoose     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Am waiting to see an LLMD.

Just trying one last time to plead my case with my pcp (who I'm probably going to replace in the near future) to try to get something started till I see the LLMD in mid May.

Am also taking pictures of my rash (he wasn't treating me then) and anything I can find from when I was treated to show him.

I'm hoping with all the pieces and documentation in front of him he'll change his mind.

Long shot but I feel I must try.

Not to mention I just want to understnad for myself.

Posts: 115 | From Central PA | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sutherngrl
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 16270

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sutherngrl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Please don't waste energy pleading your case. I hate to burst your bubble but it will get you no where. Its sad but true. Don't put so much emphasis on the test.

Lyme Disease is a "clinical diagnosis". End of story. Thats what you need to understand. Thats what you PCP needs to understand. Test are only used to back up the clinical diagnosis.

This is why only a lyme literate medical doctor is going to be useful to you if you think you have LD.

Posts: 4035 | From Mississippi | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kissygoose
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 21314

Thanks all.

I feel like I should be doing something. I hate feeling helpless and like I'm just waiting around.

I am trying to start some of the stuff pointed out in the guidelines but I'm worried with some of it because of all the meds I'm on for all my medical issues. I'd feel much better having a doctor oversee all of it.

Oh well.

Haley
Member # 22008

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Haley     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree with you that a positive Elisa is more significant because it is a low sensitivity test.

The argument for the Elisa not being an important test are for those people that test negative.

I believe if you have a positive Elisa you have been exposed, unless you have Syphillis, I suppose that could also show a positive result.

Do you know what number you got on the Elisa test?

Posts: 2232 | From USA | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kissygoose
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 21314

Haley...when I was tested the first time back in June it was 3.88

My most recent one was 1.74.

To my knowledge I don't have syphillis.

Haley
Member # 22008

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Haley     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
3.88 is high and I believe that 1.74 is also a positive result. You have 2 positive tests. IMO it's very unlikely that that is a false result.
Posts: 2232 | From USA | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kissygoose
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 21314

Thanks Haley, that's pretty much my take on it too.

Now if I could only get my doctor to agree with that. lol. Unfortunately my western blots don't come out cdc positive and that's what he's taking.

I dug up the pictures of the rash I had at the time of the first draw and am taking them in for him to see. Knowing him, he'll probably tell me it was something else but at least I can say I gave it my best shot.

I should be getting the packet of info from the llmd soon too so I'm hoping that there will be some good info in it as well as test orders.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement