LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Very, very hungry all the time....

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Very, very hungry all the time....
richedie
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 14689

Icon 1 posted      Profile for richedie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I feel i am starving! I eat very little anymore. I am hungry all the time. I want to eat but there is so little to eat any longer. I am wasting away to nothing.

First with Lyme I have to avoid tons of food and now with sensitivites to corn, gluten, soy, peanuts and about 10 other things....pickings are slim! I avoid flour, you name it.

I am not a big meat eater so that is something else I won't be eating mush of. Anyone else feel they are starving all the time!???!?!??!?!??!

--------------------
Mepron/Zith/Ceftin
Doxy/Biaxin/Flagyl pulse.
Artemisinin with Doxy/Biaxin.
Period of Levaquin and Ceftin.
Then Levaquin, Bactrim and Biaxin.
Bactrim/Augmentin/Rifampin.
Mepron/Biaxin/Artemisinin/Cat's Claw
Rifampin/Bactrim/Alinia
Plaquenil/Biaxin

Posts: 1949 | From Pennsylvania | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MDW005
Member # 22706

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MDW005     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm hungry right now!! Pickings are slim but one has to be creative and motivated to learn and to relearn to cook all over again.

I am not losing the weight even though my eating habits are healthier.

I juice alot when I don't feel like cooking.

Plus my family doesn't like what I eat so i usually have to fix them something different.

and by that time,I wish not to cook for myself.

So, plan ahead.

--------------------
God's promises mean you always have something wonderful to look forward to.

Posts: 2150 | From Georgia | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carol in PA
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 5338

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carol in PA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Protein and fat.

Can you eat coconut oil or coconut cream concentrate?
http://www.tropicaltraditions.com//coconut_cream_concentrate.htm

I'm sorry you're having such difficulties.
This is one item I thought of right away.

Carol

p.s. Almonds, a good source of magnesium.
Pumpkin seeds, lots of minerals.

[ 04-08-2010, 07:35 PM: Message edited by: Carol in PA ]

Posts: 6947 | From Lancaster, PA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
There are many foods we can enjoy.

Check out websites for: Christina Cooks

She is vegan so has lots of great vegetable meals, just substitute out wheat which she rarely uses. And, if you'd want to add some chicken, that is possible.

Quinoa can be made a million different ways. Red Bhutanese Rice and Black Chinese Forbidden Rice are wonderful, too. (see LOTUS brand).

As for proteins, still a million ways to prepare. Start an onion sauteing and you'll be a gourmet chef.

Spices, garden herbs . . . Rosemary is fabulous on chicken or fish - or with veggies. You can find fresh rosemary sprigs in your produce section.

A Mediterranean Diet (minus the wheat and wine) is good.

=================

http://icmr.nic.in/ijmr/2006/august/0804.pdf - 20 pages

THE REQUIREMENTS OF PROTEIN & AMINO ACID DURING ACUTE & CHRONIC INFECTION . . .

Anura V. Kurpad - Institute of Population Health & Clinical Research, Bangalore, India 129. Indian J Med Res 124, August 2006, pp 129-148.

Excerpt:

" . . . In general, the amount of EXTRA protein that would appear to be needed is of the order of 20-25 per cent of the recommended intake, for most infections. . . ."

- Full article at link (or google the title if it does not go through).
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
trigal2
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 20578

Icon 1 posted      Profile for trigal2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Geez...I'm always starving - especially when I am herxing, but it's not for lack of eating!
Posts: 376 | From New Jersey | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Sleep deprivation can cause undue hunger.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
richedie
Member # 14689

Icon 1 posted      Profile for richedie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have always been a very healthy eater...but one that ate close to 4,000 calories a day. 6'3" at 220 lbs and into bodybuilding...your body tends to call for a lot of calories. As the doctor starts eliminating more and more it gets tough.

I am sleeping just fine Keebler.

I eeat lots of good fats....I eat almond butter, avocados, nuts, seeds, flax, you name it.....still...

Brown rice goes through me like water. The body digests rice quickly!

Believe me...one thing I know and love is cooking. I prepare fresh foods every night for dinner. I still feel like I can't get the amount of food I did previously.

I have a cabinet filled with herbs/spices...I cook a lot.

Not able to do soy, corn, peanuts, gluten, oats etc is killing me. I miss my huge bowls of oats, bowls of shredded wheat.....sprouted grain bread, etc.

--------------------
Mepron/Zith/Ceftin
Rifampin/Bactrim/Alinia
Plaquenil/Biaxin

Posts: 1949 | From Pennsylvania | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
What about all the other non-gluten whole grains? Maybe that would help the longevity of veggies, etc.

The black and red rices mentioned above are loaded with minerals, too. Quinoa may be light but the red quinoa is more dense. This will stay with you a while, especially the Chinese Forbidden BLACK rice.

Buckwheat and millet, too, mixed in with veggies, can extend their energy to your body.

http://www.worldpantry.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ExecMacro/lotus/powershop.d2w/report

Forbidden Black Rice & Bhutanese Red Rice, etc.
-

merrygirl
Member # 12041

Icon 1 posted      Profile for merrygirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I heard tetra can make you feel hungry
Posts: 3905 | From USA | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
richedie
Member # 14689

I know, I do tons of beans and whole rice in various forms. I can do millet and quinoa from time to time but not my favorite. I can only do buckwheat as a cream of buckwheat dish.

I honestly can't stand most buckwheat like kasha mixed with veggies. i tried and can't get it down.

--------------------
Mepron/Zith/Ceftin
Rifampin/Bactrim/Alinia
Plaquenil/Biaxin

Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This may not apply to you, rich.. but others who are hungry all the time.. esp for sugar and carbs.. try Body Biotics. Working great for me!!

www.upwardquest.com

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
thejoje
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19976

Icon 1 posted      Profile for thejoje   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Richiedie,
I can totally relate to what you are experiencing. My diet has been drastically reduced like yours. In addition, I can not eat any veggies from the nightshade family - tomatoes, peppers, potatoes, etc.

I do, however, eat grass fed beef and freerange chickens.

I will say that there are many alternatives in the frozen food section of stores like Whole Foods. So, for example, I have made a pizza out of an all-rice tortilla (frozen food section only). Lots of veggies and meat go on top.

Have you tried any of the protein powders? Hemp, rice, or whey? I have added egg protein powder (made from egg whites) into a protein pancake recipe-no grains or flours, just ground nuts, a couple eggs and the protein powder of your choice. Very de-lish.

Do you eat any fish? I make a killer salmon patty with canned salmon from trader Joe's. Gladly share the recipe if you would like.

I have also added extra fat to my diet just to hold me over. . Lots of ghee over my veggies, double the homemade salad dressings--mayo,aioli..whatever.

I also roll up nut butters, coconut butter, protein powder, stevia, and a little coconut flour into little balls and coat them in ground nuts or coconut. (store in fridge to harden)THis makes a very filling treat for the fam.

I shall think more on this for you.

--------------------
When we are no longer able to change a situation---we are challenged to change ourselves.
(Viktor Frankl- Holocaust survivor)

Posts: 460 | From Maine | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Larkspur
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5131

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Larkspur     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was also going nuts with all the foods I had been told to avoid! My LLMD had me do this allergy blood test where they actually can tell what causes an inflammatory response in your body.

It made a huge difference for me, to know exactly what allergies/sensitivities I have vs. trying to guess all the time. For example, I am allergic to some things that are supposed to be good for you, like flax. Wheat, however, doesn't bother me.

Here's where I got the testing done http://www.elisaact.com/test/nonhc/

good luck

--------------------
"We must be willing to get rid of
the life we've planned, so as to have the life that is waiting for us" - e.m. forster

Posts: 921 | From PA | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
karenl
Member # 17753

Icon 1 posted      Profile for karenl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was always hungry. It is better since I take magnesium and I eat organic. Lots of veggies,carrot juice, beets,apples, bananas, salad and dark rye bread.

I started the allergy immune now.

Posts: 1834 | From US | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
thejoje
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19976

Icon 1 posted      Profile for thejoje   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Also,
Thick cream soups like the following:
Allergy-Free Cream of Broccoli Soup

Saute onion, garlic, and lots of broccoli. When all is soft, blend in a blender with boxed stock of your choice (we use chicken stock)
empty contents back into pan.

Add 1 cup cooked rice to blender with more stock and blend the heck out of it. Add to broccoli mixture.Add ghee or oil of choice. Add electrolytes.

Season with your fav spices, sprinkle homemade gluten-free croutons on top. Makes a good snack.
This recipe can be used with any veggie--- cauliflower, carrot, winter squash, etc.

Also check out the vegan websites . Some do not use soy products.

--------------------
When we are no longer able to change a situation---we are challenged to change ourselves.

Posts: 460 | From Maine | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lauirel
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 16640

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lauirel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Do you eat any fish? I make a killer salmon patty with canned salmon from trader Joe's. Gladly share the recipe if you would like.

thejoje

[lick] I would love the recipe!!

--------------------
�Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it�s the only thing that ever has.�

Posts: 149 | From Kansas/Missouri | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MariaA
Member # 9128

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MariaA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There are lots of recipes for low-inflammation, low-carb foods at my recipe forum at Lymefriends:

http://lymefriends.ning.com/group/healthylowcarbrecipes

--------------------
Symptom Free!!! Thank you all!!!!

Find me at Lymefriends, I post under the same name.
diet: http://lymefriends.ning.com/group/healthylowcarbrecipes
Homemade Probiotics thread
Herbal Links Thread

Posts: 2552 | From San Francisco | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
thejoje
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19976

OK, Here you go:

Killer Salmon Patties

2 cans TJ Wild Alaskan Salmon
1/2 small finely chopped onion
1/4 cup gluten free breadcrumbs
1 Tablespoon lemon juice
1 heaping tablespoon mayo
salt and pepper to taste
1 teaspoon tarragon (optional)
1 small egg (optional) If you are allergic to eggs, use 1 Tablespoon flaxseed or tapioca flour (or both!)

Form into balls, then press into patties.
Saute both sides in oil (Coconut, grapeseed, or olive oil) until golden brown. Enjoy plain or with my killer tartar sauce recipe which consists of equal amounts of mayo and horseradish sauce!!

I assure you, you will be a changed person after eating these puppies!

--------------------

richedie
Member # 14689

I hate fish so that is out for me. I try to avoid all dairy as well....so it seems creamy soups would be tough. [Frown]

--------------------
Mepron/Zith/Ceftin
Rifampin/Bactrim/Alinia
Plaquenil/Biaxin

lauirel
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 16640

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lauirel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you joje!!!

Yum, I love fish and so does my son!!

Your tarter sauce sounds familar to my own. Except to add sour cream and pepper to the mix.

We buy our horseradish, organic and down the street. Mmmmm..
LaurieL

--------------------
�Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it�s the only thing that ever has.�

Posts: 149 | From Kansas/Missouri | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
thejoje
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19976

The cream is made by blending the cooked rice. Do not add any cream or dairy, only a little chicken broth.

--------------------

richedie
Member # 14689

I had about 1/2 lb of brown rice pasta, homemade sause with lots of veggies and a large salad. At leas I am full for now. [Smile]

--------------------
Mepron/Zith/Ceftin
Rifampin/Bactrim/Alinia
Plaquenil/Biaxin

Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Where do you get gluten free bread crumbs?? Do you make them yourself from gluten free bread?

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
thejoje
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19976

I try to make gluten free bread - it's adequate.

Most of the time though, I make breadcrumbs or croutons from the leftovers that nobody eats. [Big Grin]

I absolutely refuse to buy gluten free breadcrumbs because they are so expensive. They are available, tho, in most health food stores. Gillians brand, I believe.

--------------------

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement