LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » In your experience which is brain fog associated with?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: In your experience which is brain fog associated with?
lymebytes
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 11830

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymebytes   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok, trying to determine symptom-relation.

Severe bouts (comes and goes) of brain fog, with tremors, feelings of insanity, anxiety and warm (to the touch)face and forhead and even sometimes leg weakness and nausea.

In your experiences of treatment was it Lyme or Babesia? Or something else entirely?

--------------------
www.truthaboutlymedisease.com

Posts: 2003 | From endemic area | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Haley
Member # 22008

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Haley     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Lymebytes,

It's me again.

Brain fog is my worst symptom. I told my LLMD if he can get rid of my brain fog that is all I care about.

I am beginning to believe that mine is related to Babesia or something that responds to anti-malarials. Mepron hits my scalp/head symptoms and I notice that I am able to converse with people in a way that is almost bordering on normal.

I also have Bartonella and I have not really treated that co-infection thoroughly so it could be a combination of both.

These are observations that I have recently made.

I better get back to work.

Cheers

Posts: 2232 | From USA | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hoosiers51
Member # 15759

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hoosiers51     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For me, I think it was Bart. Zith with Plaquenil helped the psych aspect of my Bart, and Bactrim DS with Zith helped me feel like I was intelligent again and could think again. So I would say the Bactrim/Zith was when my brain first started to clear.

I'm not sure what causes the fog exactly, but I think it's Bart mostly, and maybe some forms of fog can be Lyme, like more of the fatigued/"fried" brain fog.

But the short answer is that it's probably Bart.

If you are SURE you don't have Bart....like really sure....it could be yeast or Lyme.

Posts: 4590 | From Midwest | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sutherngrl
Member # 16270

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sutherngrl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I lean toward lyme or bart on the brain fog!
Posts: 4035 | From Mississippi | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sammi
Member # 110

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sammi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For me, leg weakness, nausea, and feeling warm were from Babesiosis. I think brain fog can be from Lyme and/or Babesiosis. When I have progressed with Babs treatment, my brain fog improved.

I do not have Bartonella, but I believe it can cause anxiety.

Do you have any co-infections?

Posts: 4681 | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lyme in Putnam
Member # 11561

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lyme in Putnam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lyme, bart and anxiety make a mix for insanity.

--------------------
He took u to it, He'll you through

Posts: 2837 | From NE. | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TS96
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14048

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TS96     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am in remission almost 1 year now and I still bouts of brain fog and for me it's either yeast and or
heavy metals mercury and lead which I am slowly working on.

I'm finding the Detoxamin suppositories are helping me think clearer and giving me more energy.

--------------------
Bart Henslea 1976
Fibro/CFS/arthritis 2004
Lyme diagnosed 2007
3 1/2 years treatment with oral combos, Cowden, IV roc. BW herbs. Off all abx in 12/10. Feeling good.

Posts: 647 | From NY | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ian
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 24637

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ian     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For me I think it's Babesia. I usually get more foggy right after taking artemisinin which hits Babesia.

--------------------
Bart and Babesia seropositive
Current tx: Rifampin, Biaxin, Bactrim DS, Artemisinin, Resveratrol (japanese knotweed), Red Root, Boneset

Posts: 168 | From PA | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Larkspur
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5131

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Larkspur     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Definitely bartonella for me.

--------------------
"We must be willing to get rid of
the life we've planned, so as to have the life that is waiting for us" - e.m. forster

Posts: 921 | From PA | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymebytes
Member # 11830

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymebytes   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow, interesting answers.

Hoosiers - your post caught my attention when you said "fried/fatigued", yes that fits, but I also feel shaky, warm face, cold hands, tremory,anxiety all at the same time.

I have treated the co's of which I had positive tests and am sure Bart is gone and Ehrlichia.

Every time I am tested, I am ALWAYS Lyme positive every time. Lyme has never once been negative.

The symptoms in my first post emerged after a round of Artemisinin last summer that never left - well they come and go, but they come on as a "package", all at the same time. It lasts a few days, then it goes.

I sort of wondered if the medications could cause it, because it is worse on Biaxin and/or Bicillin. It feels "toxic", like I am poisoned - like a bad die off, butI am only treating Lyme, could a lyme die-off cause this?

I have another post going and am suspecting the zillion negative babs tests I have had may be wrong.

One LLMd told me Lyme can cause these symptoms - he believes I am co-infection free after working on them the past 3.5 years, but I never really hit babs because he says I don't have it.

Another LLMd says cognitive is always Babesia.

Bactrim/Septra - interesting post, that drug hits both Bart and Babs.

The most consistent symptom for me is pain, widespread nerve pain. Then the fog rolls in.

Yeast - I haven't treated.

Parasites - I haven't treated. Wonder if they could cause these symptoms?

I am desperate to make progress...this has become a joke and not a fun one.

Thanks - replies are interesting.

--------------------

Posts: 2003 | From endemic area | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Brain fog can also come from liver toxicity so be sure to keep up with liver support.

A Gluten-Free diet often helps clear the brain (as well as the stomach) to a nice degree.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seibertneurolyme
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 6416

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seibertneurolyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For hubby his Parkinsonian tremors and myoclonus and dystonia and seizure like episodes all seem to be from bartonella. And it only took me about 5 years or so of treatment to figure that out.

His docs always said that lyme or babesia or bartonella could cause tremors. We think the babs is finally gone and have been treating bartonella for 2 1/2 years but think it is still there.

I would suggest you get a blood smear from Clongen lab -- cheaper than the one from Fry lab. It could show either bart or babs or whatever the unknown pathogen is that many seem to have.

Hubby called Clongen today and the test is only $100. His last test from them was in 11/08 and then he still had a positive test from Fry in 6/09. This time we are going to do the new Galaxy Lab test for bartonella at the same time as we repeat the Clongen bloodslide.

http://www.clongen.com

http://www.galaxydx.com

Bea Seibert

Note -- The Clongen requisition form is on their website. Need to write in the test "Wet mount/Blood Smear for bacteria, babesia and parasites. The lab can send test kit to either you or your doc, but a doc has to sign the requisition.

It really upsets me when I read that LLMD's won't treat coinfections without positive test results. Hubby only ever tested positive for babesia on a bloodslide (the old Bowen lab and Fry Lab) and he has some sort of bacteria on bloodslides from both Fry (3 times) and Clongen which is either bartonella or mycoplasma we think. And hubby never had a positive western Blot for Lyme either -- but he lucked out once and had one positive PCR test.

I do remember one point in treatment when hubby first tried rifampin -- think that was about 4 years into treatment. It woke up his brain. Before that he was just unusually quiet and didn't talk much. He couldn't tolerate that med then, but ever since then he has been more mentally alert.

Posts: 7306 | From Martinsville,VA,USA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hoosiers51
Member # 15759

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hoosiers51     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I get the warm face and also warm neck (but face does not look more pink or red) too. I've gotten it a lot less lately. Most of the time, I get it in the evening.

I'm not sure what infection that is.

Bicillin/Biaxin.....the toxic feeling could be that the die off is too much, or it could be that the drug is making you feel toxic. Hard to know. I have a hard time telling the difference between the two. It is only in retrospect that I know....because once a symptom gets better, I realize it was die off. If the toxic feeling doesn't get better, and ends up getting worse, it usually means it was the drug making me toxic.

Bicillin for me is not very stressful on the body as a drug, so feeling crummy on Bicillin is die off for me.....that's my two cents. With Biaxin, harder to know.

Not sure any of this helped!

Posts: 4590 | From Midwest | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymebytes
Member # 11830

Hoosiers,
Same here, no reddness in my face, but just warm, really strange.

Bicillin is interesting drug for me. It can help some symptoms but nail me cognitively.

What a puzzle - 4 years of this and still putting the pieces together. Geez.....

Thanks, your post did help [Smile]

--------------------

lymebytes
Member # 11830

seibertneurolyme - thanks, good idea I am going to ask my LLMd asap for the tests you recommend. I know, the LLMd is very well known too..but he relies on test results very much. He believes most of my problem is Lyme since I am always highly lyme positive on every test. You think though I'd make progress. Thanks again.

Keebler - yes thank you...liver is good, thankfully and I am on milk thistle.

--------------------

psano2
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11711

Icon 1 posted      Profile for psano2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Both Bb and Babs had elements of brain fog and tremors for me, but Babesia seems to be the bigger problem in my case. At least these symptoms didn't start to really clear up until after I started Babesia treatment.
Posts: 975 | From California | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BoxerMom
Member # 25251

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BoxerMom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lymebytes - I responded to your other thread, but after reading this one, I really think you should treat for Babesia.

My husband tested negative for Babesia, but had tons of intracellular parasites in his Fry blood smear. After 16 months of treatment for Lyme and Bartonella (tested positive for both), he developed new symptoms: leg weakness, nausea, warm in the evening, feeling off-balance, ringing in the ears.

Our LLND has no problem treating based on symptoms, so she started him on Mepron, Malarone and Allinia. No more feeling off-balance. Now has day and night sweats. Still warm on face and forehead, esp in the evening. Wakes feeling fluish. Still has leg weakness and occasional ringing in the ears. Feels he is definitely herxing for Babesia.

Hope this helps.

--------------------
 - Must...find...BRAIN!!!

Posts: 2867 | From Pacific NW | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BoxerMom
Member # 25251

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BoxerMom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I forgot to add: I tested positive for Babesia and treated for 1 year on various Mepron/Zith combos. I had severe brain fog that dissipated completely when I started Mepron. I added Resveratrol around the same time, so that could have contributed.

I had severe depression and anxiety while treating for Babs. I wouldn't call it insanity, but definitely panic attacks and suicidal ideation. Repeated thoughts, like brain OCD. (Hmmmm...sounding a little like insanity.) Gone now.

My husband's Babesia symptoms come and go. He calls them "episodes."

--------------------
 - Must...find...BRAIN!!!

Posts: 2867 | From Pacific NW | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beachinit
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 21040

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Beachinit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For me it was Bart greater than lyme, and lyme
greater than babs for causing brain fog. Dealt with lyme first though then Bart alone, now Bart and Babs.
By the way regarding the Babs I am having some recurrence of night time
hypervigilence/anxiety. I am doing a 12 hour mini-detox today to try to help with that.
I was working on repairing my chain saw 2 days ago and had to dump out fuel to deal with broken fuel line. The gasoline vapors started me feeling sick and migraine aura stuff
happened etc. So I am thinking Babs stresses the liver and that alcohol or petroleum vapors are more provocative for that reason.

Beachinit.

--------------------
Ideas not advice.

Posts: 448 | From Downeast Maine | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike30
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 2581

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike30     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I feel it's lyme. Treatment with rife clears brain fog instantly(doug coil). I also feel it is caused by toxic mold, fresh paint, fresh varnish and most forms of carpet cleaner. If you have lyme, pay very close attention to things you put in your home. DO NOT use standard cleaning chemicals. DO NOT get your car detailed. DO NOT buy antiques or enter old homes in humid areas if you can help it. All these thigns contribute to confusion and brain fog in many lyme patients.
Posts: 181 | From chicago | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymebytes
Member # 11830

Thank you so much for all your responses.

--------------------

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement