LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Cracked Skin on Thumb and Adjacent Finger - Which Co-infection?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Cracked Skin on Thumb and Adjacent Finger - Which Co-infection?
Ian
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 24637

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ian     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One of my most persistent symptoms has been cracking of the skin on my right thumb and my pointer finger. When it's bad if I throw a football or a frisbee my thumb will actually start to bleed. Sometimes it heals partially but it always returns. My tests for Babesia and Bartonella were positive. Has anyone had this kind of cracking skin and which co-infections did you have?

--------------------
Bart and Babesia seropositive
Current tx: Rifampin, Biaxin, Bactrim DS, Artemisinin, Resveratrol (japanese knotweed), Red Root, Boneset

Posts: 168 | From PA | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
17hens
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 23747

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 17hens     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Boy, I'm interested in this one. I've had this for years and just thought it was seasonal. Never connected it to this rotten disease...

--------------------
"My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever." Psalms 73:26

bit 4/09, diagnosed 1/10

Posts: 3043 | From PA | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
merrygirl
Member # 12041

Icon 1 posted      Profile for merrygirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just have to say that not everything that happens to you is related to lyme and co's

maybe you just have dry skin.

Posts: 3905 | From USA | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BoxerMom
Member # 25251

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BoxerMom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've read in HIV research that Bartonella can be cultured from open wounds on fingertips.

The antibiotics certainly cause dry skin.

--------------------
 - Must...find...BRAIN!!!

Posts: 2867 | From Pacific NW | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ian
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 24637

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ian     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yea, I hear you merrygirl, but I've never had cracked skin before and never had dry skin. I've only had this skin cracking in the last year. I actually don't have dry skin even now. The skin on my thumb and pointer finger isn't dry. It feels well-moisturized like the rest of my skin, and moisturizing it doesn't help at all. It's just cracked. Some days it looks healed. Then the next day it is cracked again.

--------------------
Current tx: Rifampin, Biaxin, Bactrim DS, Artemisinin, Resveratrol (japanese knotweed), Red Root, Boneset

Posts: 168 | From PA | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carol in PA
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 5338

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carol in PA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a couple suggestions.

When I had dry, cracking skin, I stumbled onto lanolin.
You can get a small tube at the drugstore for just a few dollars.

It's very thick and feels like you just waxed the floor with your hands, when you first put it on.
I figured out that I could apply it right before I went to sleep, and when I woke, it would all be absorbed.

The companies who make hand cream don't want you to know about this.
It would put them out of business, lol.

Later, I began using fish oil.
Wow.

This conditions skin from the inside, and I no longer have chapped hands, even in the winter.
It liquefies blocked pores and reduces acne.

This is in addition to reducing inflammation and reducing the hypercoagulation that most Lymies have.

Carol

Posts: 6947 | From Lancaster, PA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ian
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 24637

Thanks for the suggestions Carol. I take fish oil right now and will look into lanolin. I'm still wondering what would cause this though. I don't have dry hands, just cracking of a couple fingers on one hand. Oh well, another mystery to add to all the others.

--------------------

merrygirl
Member # 12041

Icon 1 posted      Profile for merrygirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i wasnt meaning to be rude hope it didnt come across that way. bagbalm works really well, and believe it or not vics vapor rub!!
Posts: 3905 | From USA | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ian
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 24637

No, it's fine merrygirl. I'm well aware that many Lymies start to think that every little issue they have with their bodies is from Lyme. But it does seem odd that just two fingers on one hand have kept cracking for the last year, regardless of the weather or moisturizer that I apply. I still think it has something to do with one of my infections.

--------------------

sutherngrl
Member # 16270

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sutherngrl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well my doc looked at my hands one day and said he was looking for peeling. He said it was caused by lyme.

Not that peeling resembles cracking. Just throwing that out there for you to ponder.

Posts: 4035 | From Mississippi | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
psano2
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11711

Icon 1 posted      Profile for psano2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think it could be due to Lyme. I used to have terribly dry and cracking skin after getting Lyme disease. Mine was mostly on the bottom of my feet, as I recall.

Another thing you might consider trying is Venex bee venom ointment. It helped me a lot with numerous issues, including relieving pain/aches.

Posts: 975 | From California | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sixgoofykids   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I get cracking fingers when I use antibacterial soup or hand sanitizer. I think it's due to fungus.

If I use antifungals on my feet, I don't get the cracking heels either. Once they're healed, all I do is use the blow dryer on them when I get out of the shower to be sure they're really dry. Since I've been doing this, it hasn't come back.

--------------------
sixgoofykids.blogspot.com

Posts: 13449 | From Ohio | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
17hens
Member # 23747

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 17hens     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I love antibacterial soup! [lick]

--------------------
"My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever." Psalms 73:26

bit 4/09, diagnosed 1/10

Posts: 3043 | From PA | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kastroo
Member # 22825

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kastroo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
had this during my firs tindamax pulse.

I found a Phd thesis long time ago on atypical infectons (mycoplasma, chlamydie etc) that said its one of the signs of that kind of infections with kids. Lots of folks with Cpn has those issues

Posts: 67 | From New York | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement