LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Patricia Kane/Cain's? protocol anyone heard of this

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Patricia Kane/Cain's? protocol anyone heard of this
f13girl
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 23844

Icon 1 posted      Profile for f13girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A president of a biotech company for stem cells mentioned this protocol to me. He said she was maybe in the NorthEast New York?

I heard that it involved I.V.s of phosphatidyl choline, which pushes its way into cells and pushes out viruses and bacteria and supposedly works against Lyme.

Does anyone know much about this? or tried it?

Posts: 200 | From New England | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
glm1111
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 16556

Icon 1 posted      Profile for glm1111     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Google Patricia Kane glutathione for info on her research

--------------------
PARASITES/WORMS ARE NOW
RECOGNIZED AS THE NUMBER 1 CO-INFECTION IN LYME DISEASE BY ILADS*

Posts: 6418 | From philadelphia pa | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
emla999/Lyme
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 12606

Icon 1 posted      Profile for emla999/Lyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It seems like the Patricia Kane (PK) protocol may help to relieve some of the symptoms associated with Lyme Disease but is not a cure.

A post about the PK protocol:

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi/topic/1/37194?#000001

Posts: 1223 | From U.S.A | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TerryK
Member # 8552

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TerryK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm just starting to study the protocol. I bought the book she sells on her site for doctors but there is also one for patients.
http://www.bodybio.com/storecategory126.aspx

I've just started to read the book so can't give you a lot of info about it but in general, the protocol is used to heal neurotoxic illnesses, lyme being one of them.

In a nutshell, the type of toxins that are created by mold, borrelia and some other toxins disrupt the endothelial cell membrane.

From wikipedia
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Endothelium
Endothelial cells are involved in many aspects of vascular biology, including:

Vasoconstriction and vasodilation, and hence the control of blood pressure
Blood clotting (thrombosis & fibrinolysis)
Atherosclerosis
Formation of new blood vessels (angiogenesis)
Inflammation
Barrier function - the endothelium acts as a selective barrier between the vessel lumen and surrounding tissue, controlling the passage of materials and the transit of white blood cells into and out of the bloodstream. Excessive or prolonged increases in permeability of the endothelial monolayer, as in cases of chronic inflammation, may lead to tissue oedema/swelling.

I'm thinking this protocol may help those of us with blood pressure issues, edema, inflammation, hypercoagulation and many other symptoms.

According to the book, you can use oral phostadylcholine rather than IV but it takes much longer. She includes a number of things in her protocol like butyrate, a certain ratio of EFA's, minerals, dietary change and many other things to help heal the damage to cell walls.

The Detoxx� System: Detoxification of Biotoxins in Chronic Neurotoxic Syndromes
by John Foster, MD, Patricia Kane, PhD, and Neal Speight, MD

http://www.townsendletter.com/Nov_2002/detoxxsystem1102.htm

Terry

[ 04-18-2010, 06:07 PM: Message edited by: TerryK ]

Posts: 6286 | From Oregon | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GiGi
Member # 259

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GiGi         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
All Lymenetters who have taken the AI test are allergic to soy = stress mode for system every time you swallow, touch, inject anything soy based. Everything in our life today is soy based,including many supplements. PK protocol under that condition is a waste of energy, life and money. It was for us and did not contribute anything beneficial but empty pocketbook even more.

Suggest: Getting rid of Soy disregulation (allergy) as well as all the others, i.e. toxic metals, fungi, mold and assorted chemical disregulations. They are a major roadblock toward health.

Posts: 9834 | From Washington State | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
thejoje
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19976

Icon 1 posted      Profile for thejoje   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I tried the protocol with IV's for about 9 mos.

I initially felt better but then plateaued. The problem was that her protocol does not do enough to mop up the toxins. Wasted tons of money, IMO.

She is EXTREMELY knowledgeable about fat metabolism and is a PHD, not an MD.

The phosphadidyl choline in this country is made of soy-- but her product, I believe, is a derivitive of egg yolks and comes from Germany.

It is great for the liver, but don't go there!

--------------------
When we are no longer able to change a situation---we are challenged to change ourselves.
(Viktor Frankl- Holocaust survivor)

Posts: 460 | From Maine | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seibertneurolyme
Member # 6416

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seibertneurolyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As with many lyme treatments this protocol helps some people and not others.

Hubby had one appointment with the doc in 2004 I think it was -- and we were trained to do the IV's at home. Still very expensive.

But this is not really an option any more because the FDA cracked down on the import of the phosphatidylcholine from Switzerland (manufactured in Germany I think). Patients can no longer order the supplement themselves even with a doctor's scrip -- can only be shipped direct to a physician.

Hubby did far less treatments than the doc suggested -- but it did bring his GGT numbers down to normal -- basically reversed his fatty liver and did help normalize his overall fatty acid status. His GGT has remained normal now for about 6 years so that benefit was long lasting.

Not sure where P.K. is located as about a year ago I think she moved her practice.

The treatments involve a combo of IV glutathione and IV phosphatidylcholine. Hubby had used IV glutathione both before and after the P.K. phospholipid exchange treatments -- the combo helped much more than just IV glutathione on its own.

The oral phosphatidylcholine sold by Dr P.K. is probably one of the highest quality supplements of that product. 1 or 2 tablespoons per day is the suggested dose -- still pretty expensive but can help detox the liver and rebuild myelin. Hubby always said it tasted like motor oil.

http://www.detoxbox.com

Oral lecithin is a much cheaper version of choline. Probably the best option for most people is to simply eat 3 egg yolks daily -- only the yolks. Eating the white decreases the availability of the choline drastically.

Bea Seibert

Posts: 7306 | From Martinsville,VA,USA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TerryK
Member # 8552

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TerryK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
GIGI - Phosphatidyl choline is a phospholipid and contains no protein parts from soy. Proteins are the part of the food that most people are allergic to. Those very sensitive to soy should try phosphatidyl choline in small doses at first to see if they tolerate the product.

My sister is very allergic to soy and phosphatidyl choline does not bother her. I'm allergic too and I've been taking it for years and have no problem with it. I also muscle test for safety by both myself and my herbalist so I personally feel it it safe for me.

Terry

Posts: 6286 | From Oregon | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GiGi
Member # 259

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GiGi         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
TerryK,

AI is not addressing allergies as we know them.

Rather it addresses dysregulations caused by faulty programming in the DNA at the electromagnetic level, inherited or acquired.
AI corrects these errors permanently.

http://allergie-immun.de/Englisch/
http://allergie-immun.de/Englisch/information.html

Take care.

P.S. Please note the orange field re Dr.K.

Posts: 9834 | From Washington State | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TerryK
Member # 8552

Thanks GIGI. I've been keeping an eye on the AI thread. I figure I'll eventually try it. My LLMD is all for AI but does not want me off treatment right now.

Interesting feedback so far on the Kane protocol. ^ for more comments.

Terry

djf2005
Member # 11449

Icon 1 posted      Profile for djf2005     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kane used to practice at the Haverford Wellness Center about 30 min from me, and she is gone as well as Dr Braccia (these were the 2 main Drs before at the center)

I don't know if the center is even open anymore.

My chiropractor knows Dr. Braccia from the practice and he is moving somewhere to Landsdale and will be using abx now (interesting....)

Why did they go to IV phos and glut to abx?

Because those 2 things are not going to get a very sick Lyme patient well.

I know 2 people who went to Haverford, got the IVs, spent 5k+, and it didn't do a thing.

I am all for alternative therapies, but sadly this is not it. (IMO)

I do think it is exciting that Dr Braccia is moving out on his own, and it will be neat to see how he treats in the coming future.

--------------------
"Experience is not what happens to you; it is what you do with what happens to you."

[email protected]

Posts: 2269 | From Lansdowne, Pa | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
METALLlC BLUE
Member # 6628

Icon 1 posted      Profile for METALLlC BLUE     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here is the information I have on her:

Dr. Kane's speciality has been in the area of brain research concerning Autism, Pervasive Developmental Delay, Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, Metabolic inborn errors in metabolism, Lyme, Heavy Metal Toxicity, Multiple Sclerosis, Parkinson's, Alzheimer's and Motor Neuron Disease, and neurotoxicity. Dr. K (WA STATE) and Dr. Patricia Kane have lectured together on "Heavy metals and their health impact" Dr. Patricia Kane uses a program called the phospholipid exchange using intravenous phosphatidyl choline and glutathione and many doctors have seen good results with this program. Dr. Kane specializes in detoxification.

Dr. Kane wrote an article for Allergy Research Group Newsletter. Allergy Research produces supplements that are used by the most well known ILADS physicians.

"In our experience, patients with Lyme often suffer for many years without significant response to medical intervention for their illness.The brain fog,joint pain, intense fatigue, poor memory/concentration, and disorientation continue endlessly with course after course of antibiotic therapy. In our clinic we begin with an innovative protocol to mobilize and remove Lyme along with co-infections that complicate the patients' progress. Lyme is a fat soluble infection that may reside in fatty tissue, the liver, the biliary tree and gall bladder. Hidden in the fatty tissue rather than in blood,testing for Lyme results in negative findings whether PCR, ELISA (IgG, IgM), Lyme Dot Blot,or Reverse Western Blot is utilized. Treatment procedures must be targeted towards removal of deeply embedded infection in the liver, biliary tree and gall bladder.

We monitor Lyme patients with some basic testing: Chem - 28/CBC ,Body Bio Red Cell Lipid Analysis ,Urina ry, Neurotransmitters and the Visual Contrast Test.

Our regimen includes dietary changes with emphasis on nutrient dense foods such as seeds, nuts,freerangeeggs, balanced 4:1 omega 6 to omega 3 oil,organic protein foods,and green leafy vegetables.All grain/flour, sugar, processed foods, and hydrogenated fats are removed. Supplementation is targeted towards cleansing the liver with the short chain fat butyrate and phosphatidylcholine. Building a strong nutritional foundation is paramount and is accomplishedby raising the mineral base, stabilizing the electrolytes, increasing and balancing the essentialfatty acid status.We administer appropriate catalysts(vitamins, minerals) and substrates (lipids, aminoacids) indicated by the patients' test results.We begin IV therapy on a weekly or biweekly basis with IV Phospholipid Exchange with Essentiale N as 500 mg and follow with a Glutathione Fast Push 1800-2500 mg. Response to IV therapy in Lyme patients usually takes approximately 7 infusions for significant improvement in symptoms.It is essential that a nutrient dense, low carbohydrate diet and appropriate supplementation is utilized. Two to three times weekly patients are asked to perform anOral Liver Flush with 2 Tablespoons of PhosChol,one capsule of Ox Bile,and several capsules of TOAfree Cat's Claw herb. Patient outcomes have been positive in eve ry instance with good compliance of recommended therapy."

--------------------
I am not a physician, so do your own research to confirm any ideas given and then speak with a health care provider you trust.

E-mail: [email protected]

Posts: 4157 | From Western Massachusetts | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Emmy3
Member # 23780

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Emmy3     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am trying Dr. B's abx protocol. He said that the reason that he is using abx now is because the patients on the alternative treatments would feel better during the treatment, but would immediately feel bad again after finishing up the treatment.
His new protocol is IV Rocephin for 56 days, with a few orals mixed in. I'll let you know how it works for me. If anyone else has finished this abx protocol, please let me know. I would be interested to hear how others have done with this.

Posts: 6 | From DE | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Emmy3
Member # 23780

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Emmy3     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Finished up IV treatment. It did clear up most of my brain fog. However, did not help with co-infections. They are not very knowledgeable with co-infections, and don't really know how to properly test or treat them. There are really no individual treatment plans. They give everyone pretty much the same treatment no matter what your "Lyme" issues are. It's pretty expensive, unless you have an amazing insurance plan - and they are very demanding about payments.
Overall, the treatment put a dent in my symptoms, but was by no means a "cure" as advertised.

Posts: 6 | From DE | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Judie
Member # 38323

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Judie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just wanted to check in to see if anyone has done this in the past few years.

What were the results?

I'm doing an oral version right now. Thanks.

Posts: 2839 | From California | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Maia_Azure
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 44330

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Maia_Azure     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been recommended this treatment, I did the math and will cost $5,000. It doesn't seem worth the money.

I've been experiencing brain fog, and instead am taking the components orally. I would be willing to do this treatment if my insurance covered it. But it doesn't look like anyone is really saying it helped them dramatically.

--------------------
Sick since 2000
Bulls eye 2005
Dx Babesia, Lyme 2014

Posts: 247 | From New Hampshire | Registered: Aug 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No... It's been around a long time and I've never heard anyone here say they were "cured" by it.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Maia_Azure
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 44330

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Maia_Azure     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I did have an entire fatty acid profile done, and on paper I am cell-wall deficient. I decided to slowly over time correct this via oral supplements.

I believe it can help my Neuro symptoms, but I can take them orally and just wait a bit longer to save money.

I was told that I can mix the ingredients into an enema and get the same result as the IV and save thousands of dollars. Might try that instead.

--------------------
Sick since 2000
Bulls eye 2005
Dx Babesia, Lyme 2014

Posts: 247 | From New Hampshire | Registered: Aug 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement