LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Need List of All Meds that Treat Bartonella

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Need List of All Meds that Treat Bartonella
seibertneurolyme
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 6416

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seibertneurolyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hubby has tried so many -- trying to come up with something else that might work.

Levaquin -- took for at least 3 months 3 or 4 different times in the last 6 years -- was pretty much a miracle drug but not strong enough

Cipro -- took for a month or two -- didn't do much of anything

Bactrim DS -- took for an entire year -- didn't do a whole lot

Factive -- took for 3 months I think -- different pulsing schedules -- improved red blood count to normal which had been low for over a year -- has even stayed barely in normal range for last 6 months

Zithromax -- took 300 mg or 600 mg 3 times per week for an entire year -- didn't do much -- but recently at 600 mg daily seemed to help improve elevated bilirubin and increase red blood count for a couple of weeks but both are going in the wrong direction again after 2 more weeks

Rifampin -- took almost 8 months to get to full dose of 600 mg and then crashed after a month at 600 mg in fall of 2008 -- have finally after many false starts just completed 6 months on this med -- 4 months at 600 mg and 2 months at 900 mg -- helpful, but not strong enough

Clindamycin -- took very low dose with quinine -- helpful in years past -- but recently didn't do anything added to some of other meds listed above

Note -- Levaquin -- was taken by itself several times, but also tried in combo with rifampin

Current combo is rifampin, zith and mino

About the only other oral med I can think of to try is Gentamycin and I doubt very much I can talk LLMD into that.

Any other suggestions for oral meds?

I don't know much about the newer IV meds such as Vancomycin, Tigecycline or Invanz -- do any of those really work on bartonella or BLO or mycoplasma? Or has anyone had success with IV Claforan?

Hubby has also tried many herbal things while on the above meds -- HH and HH2 both at very high doses and a high quality olive leaf extract didn't seem to do much at all.

Cryptolepis and Stephania tinctures also at high doses were very helpful for awhile. The herbs at high enough doses seem to work like the meds -- neuro symptoms improve and maybe some mild bloodwork improvements for about 2 weeks and then symptoms start coming back until we try some new med or herb and then the cycle repeats.

Hubby has been in continuous treatment for bart for 2 1/2 years now and just seems to be spinning his wheels.

Main bart symptoms are neuro and G.I. -- episodes of tremors, myoclonus and dystonia with dry heaves. Also some sweats, global headaches, mild eye pain and mild stiff neck.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Next LLMD appointment is 4/27 and we will either stop meds for 2 or 3 weeks to do the Galaxy Lab and Clongen bloodwork or try some new med combo and wait another month or two to do the testing.

The switch to oral Zithromax at 600 mg daily seems to be causing increasing symptoms of encephalopathy and hubby is getting worried that another major crash is not far off. Just not sure what to do anymore.

Bea Seibert

Posts: 7306 | From Martinsville,VA,USA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Toppers
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 20083

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Toppers     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Where is Biaxin? Many reported success with that one, although long term.. Combos too, Bactrim DS with Rifampin is supposed to be a winner, same with Biaxin and Bactrim DS.
Posts: 501 | From Cleveland Ohio | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Haley
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 22008

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Haley     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think clindamycin is Biaxin.

Wow Bea. You guys have been at this a long time and it sounds like you have tried everything.

I'm curious how do you know that it is Bart that is the main problem?

Have you treated Babs? If so did that help with the Encephalopathy?

I have Bart and most docs say brain stuff is probably Bart. I went on Mepron and found that it really helped, I didn't even have a positive babs test (I don't have results back yet).

I would be intersted in hearing your story one day.

Take Care

Posts: 2232 | From USA | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seibertneurolyme
Member # 6416

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seibertneurolyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Toppers,

Hubby has not tried Biaxin. I think that is one of the worst of the "gut-busting" antibiotics -- just not sure hubby could tolerate it.

But he was on Bactrim DS, low dose Rifampin and low dose Zithromax for a year. Don't think that combo is the answer.

Has anyone tried oral Zyvox? -- asked LLMD about it last appointment and he did say one patient did great on that.

Bea Seibert

Posts: 7306 | From Martinsville,VA,USA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seibertneurolyme
Member # 6416

Haley -- Hubby thinks the babesia is gone. Does not have the drenching night sweats anymore or off-balance feeling and he can exercise ok (before babesia treatment it was a struggle to even take a walk).

Also -- Fry slide no longer shows ring form of babs -- went away after treatment with low dose primaquine and chloroquine. But treated with Alinia for 8 months I think after that just to be sure. Also was seen on a bloodslide way back in the beginning in 2002 by the old Bowen lab.

Fry slides (3 of them) and Clongen bloodslide both show gram negative bacteria which we think are bartonella or BLO or mycoplasma. We are hoping that the new Galaxy lab can actually identify the bacteria as bartonella.

I think Clarithromyacin is Biaxin.

Hubby doesn't seem to produce antibodies to much or anything -- babesia and bartonella both diagnosed based on bloodslides.

Bea Seibert

Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Rife machine ?

Andrographis ? (As in Buhner's book "Healing Lyme . . .")

http://www.publichealthalert.org/Articles/scottforsgren/amy%20derksen%20interview.html

Holistic Approaches to Lyme Offer Much Promise An Interview with Dr. Amy Derksen, ND - by Scott A. Forsgren

Excerpt:

`` . . . Andrographis can be important if Borrelia is present and is helpful for Ehrlichia and Bartonella . . . .''

=============

Page 106, Buhner's book "Healing Lyme" mentions Japanese Knotweed as helpful against Bartonella (an author's correction from the ehrlichia misprint, 5th line from last).
-

[ 04-20-2010, 06:27 AM: Message edited by: Keebler ]

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Larkspur
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5131

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Larkspur     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am currently taking an herbal remedy for Bartonella called Bar-1 by Healthy Directions Inc.

It is STRONG! I had to start with 1 drop every other day.

--------------------
"We must be willing to get rid of
the life we've planned, so as to have the life that is waiting for us" - e.m. forster

Posts: 921 | From PA | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
f13girl
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 23844

Icon 1 posted      Profile for f13girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Since you've done all the meds- what about the AI treatment-- or stem cell treatment?
Posts: 200 | From New England | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kitty9309
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19945

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kitty9309     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bea- your mailbox is full!
Posts: 819 | From East Coast | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amanda
Member # 14107

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Amanda     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You said that Levaquin seemed to help some.

Did you try IV Levaquin?

--------------------
"few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" - Mark Twain

Posts: 1008 | From US | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tgym
Member # 23638

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tgym     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My llmd said that he normally would use Levaquin but was concerned about the joint issues so he put me on Tindamax and Invanz

--------------------
Neuro symptoms since 1995. Dx'd Bart in 10-09.
Biaxin/Tindamax 10-10 thru 2-11
Factive 3-11 thru 5-11
Factive/ Rifampin 9-11 thru 11-11
IV Rocephin/ Tindamaz. 11-11 thru 1-12/
IV Rocephin/ Flagyl / Factive 1-12 thru present

Posts: 69 | From Florida | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sparrow
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11734

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sparrow     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Deseret Biologicals Bart remedy is very good. My daughter almost seemed well after one round of that--it worked better than any antibiotic that we tried. We maybe should have done more than one round with that. She got shingles about 9 months after doing better than she has in years and crashed.
Posts: 177 | From God's Grace | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seibertneurolyme
Member # 6416

keebler -- Hubby is on the core Buhner herbs and has taken them in varying doses for 2 or 3 years now in addition to his antibiotics.

Kitty -- Cleaned out my messages and sent you a p.m.

larkspar and Sparrow and fl3girl -- Have not tried any of those ideas yet.

Amanda -- Hubby did try IV Cipro for a few days about 3 years ago in the hospital when we started really concentrating on bart -- had a bad experience -- don't think his current doc would prescribe IV Levaquin. Actually not sure I can talk him into any IV bart med.

Tgym -- Hubby took tindamax with the factive -- did not do well on tindamax which probably means he needs a cyst buster. Please post on how the Invanz is working out. Have heard that that is hard to take plus I think it is very expensive.

Thanks everyone for all the thoughtful responses.

Bea Seibert

blinkie
Member # 14470

Icon 1 posted      Profile for blinkie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bea-

I found great success with bactrim/rifampin combo. Got me to remission after 2 years of other treatments for lyme and co. But, I relapsed after three weeks and got C diff. So, I'm not sure your hubby and I have the same thing going on.

I'm still struggling to get rid of whatever this "thing" is. But, I've done all the hardcore bart and BLO meds so, I don't think that is what I'm dealing with. Some symptoms never went away with bart meds.

I did Gentamycin with doxy. Twice the length of recommended time (four weeks total). I did three months of IV levaquin and rifampin as well.

The only thing that touches my symptoms is bactrim/rifampin.

My symptoms are:
messed up body temp with cold/hot episodes throughout the day

unrefreshing sleep

sensativity to light

sensativity to heat/cold

floaters

dry skin

low stamina

feet hurt when standing too long

I just wanted to share my experience and symptoms in case it might help you.

That being said, are you sure what he has is bart related?

Posts: 1104 | From N.California | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CD57
Member # 11749

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CD57     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
is there any way you can get the doc to RX Tygacil? These bugs are really strong and I personally think IV is needed.

My current doc told me to get a Rife machine and get stem cells and he thinks my immune system is overreacting to a very few bugs (I disagree but he may have a point).

Posts: 3528 | From US | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hoosiers51
Member # 15759

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hoosiers51     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Has he tried the BLT tincture from one of the ND's out West?

I think I have narrowed down what indgredient in the BLT is making me herx, and it's Teasel or Black Walnut. Since it seems to be a Bart or Lyme herx, I'm pretty sure it's Teasel not Black Walnut.

That might apply more to Lyme (teasel), but still thought I'd throw it out there, since the tincture is supposed to be for Bart or Lyme.

When we're talking Bart, for me, Zith is meaningless without Plaquenil.

So if he has never done Plaquenil and Zith together, that would be something to try. The whole process of herx to improvement was less than 2 months, I'd say. 3 months max. It'll take a week or more to start working, since the Plaquenil needs to build up in the body.

Posts: 4590 | From Midwest | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement