LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Who self-treats with antibiotics???

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Who self-treats with antibiotics???
Hoosiers51
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 15759

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hoosiers51     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thinking about doing this. We all know there are ways of getting antibiotics without a doctor (Mexico, online pharmacies, etc).

Sometimes I just feel like I could do a better job myself. I would figure out how to keep getting liver testing done, maybe through my Primary.

I feel like I could do better myself, because I can tell when something's not working, etc. I want the freedom to be able to say, "I feel like that was working and I want to stay on it." or "this isn't working...might as well stop it now instead of waiting 4 weeks." or "This symptom is coming back, and X drug helped it....so I want to restart X drug as soon as possible."

That kind of thing. Sometimes I feel like "I" know what helps, and my LLMD isn't living in my body, and sometimes they just make things worse.

I dunno....I just want to hear from those that treat themselves.

I feel like I'm close to the end of treatment anyways, and I feel like this could go faster if I just did it myself, instead of waiting for each appointment.

Thoughts?

Posts: 4590 | From Midwest | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skigal
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7443

Icon 1 posted      Profile for skigal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I feel the same way about treatment..could do a better job myself. You can order your own labs from directlabs or prepaidlabs.

As of 1 April, you can no longer order abx from Mexico without a Rx :-(. I think you can still order rifampin & diflucan without a Rx.

Posts: 269 | From VA | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
djf2005
Member # 11449

Icon 1 posted      Profile for djf2005     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I do for the most part, yes.

I work w/ a bunch of Drs also, but no single Dr is calling the shots...

After being sick for a few years, you come to learn your body better than a Dr ever could, and abx combos, detox, chelation, and so is not all the complicated to learn once you know what direction you are headed.

I continue to consult w/ Drs and to pick their brains, but they are as befuddled as a lot of us.

Lyme is complicated.

Best

--------------------
"Experience is not what happens to you; it is what you do with what happens to you."

[email protected]

Posts: 2269 | From Lansdowne, Pa | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
springshowers
Member # 19863

Icon 1 posted      Profile for springshowers     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I did that for a couple years and got meds from mexico..

Ironcailly and this is funny.. kinda.

I now looked back at my list and method and it mimics what my doctors recommend now.

I think abx can take you so far and help with just a part of the puzzle. I give it maybe 1/4 or less of the puzzle.

Until they can find a way to target the infection more specifically we spin a lot of wheels.

Educating yourself or if your already very educated on what is what and what abx are used and why and their categories etc.... would be the only time I would consider it.

Knowing the interactions too and whys etc...

ALso.. checking in with a doctor to get blood work done to check liver levels. Or if you do not do this make sure you do not go aggressive and support the liver and kidneys and lymphs etc.

But I totally understand...

Luckily I have a doctor who gives me a lot of leadway and trusts me to adjust dosing or frequencies and take breaks etc and never gets upset etc. Not all doctors are like that and I am lucky. I think he trusts me because I have learned so much and been through so much and I know what is what and why and all that .. as well as he trusts that I know my body and when there is a normal reaction or herx or allergy or whatever.

Many doc just throw up their arms and well are happy to support us in any way they can.

Posts: 2747 | From Unites States Of America | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hoosiers51
Member # 15759

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hoosiers51     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Derek,

Where do you get your antibiotics from? You can PM me if you don't want to post publicly.

Luckily I'll soon be moving to a place a couple hours from the Mexican border, so I can cross over and get my own drugs. But until then, I'm thinking of just begging friends for left-overs and maybe trying some online pharmacies.

Posts: 4590 | From Midwest | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hoosiers51
Member # 15759

Thanks for the support. I'm glad you guys can see where I'm coming from, and I'm not the only one. I have become fairly educated about all this, so I don't feel like I'm just a clueless person guessing.

I have seen enough good LLMD's that I have learned about many detox supplements/tools (like homeopathics, herbals, etc).

The only thing that's concerning me....is what if I start a couple things on my own, and then I get to the point that I need my LLMD's advice about something? (like sometimes, they have an innate sense about what infection caused my flare of X and Y symptoms. That is nice input to have).

Since I'm only currently seeing one LLMD, they would know I started that stuff on my own. I don't want them to be insulted. But what do I say?, "hey, I tried this on my own, and....."

I know that would make them mad/offended. I mean, they'd get over it, but I don't see it going over well. The few times I've switched things on my own, they were like, "why didn't you ask?" in a very accusatory tone.

So I'm not sure how I could have the benefit of getting their advice (paying for it too of course), without insulting them that I'm changing things around w/o asking.

I'm thinking maybe I could tell a white lie, and say, "I saw another doc who put me on X....." Though the "other doc" would actually be myself?

edit: springshowers, just read your post....glad your doc doesn't get upset about you doing your own thing. I would ideally like to stay with my LLMD, but unfortunately he is not so easygoing about me calling the shots, so we'll see how this plays out.

I'm pretty educated on drug categories, interactions, etc.

Pinelady
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 18524

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pinelady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I did homemade Colloidal Silver for 3 months-

looking back I felt ashamed for doing this.

Now I look at it differently---It should be the ISDA and CDC who should be ashamed---Not me.

Do what you feel you need to do.

--------------------
Suspected Lyme 07 Test neg One band migrating in IgG region
unable to identify.Igenex Jan.09IFA titer 1:40 IND
IgM neg pos
31 +++ 34 IND 39 IND 41 IND 83-93 +
DX:Neuroborreliosis

Posts: 5850 | From Kentucky | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hoosiers51
Member # 15759

Thank you! [Smile]

The thing is, I know quite a few people who seem to have improved the most when THEY were actually in the driver's seat, calling the shots, getting themselves better (yes, even with abx).

djf2005
Member # 11449

Icon 1 posted      Profile for djf2005     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://www.edrugone.com/

--------------------
"Experience is not what happens to you; it is what you do with what happens to you."

[email protected]

Posts: 2269 | From Lansdowne, Pa | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CD57
Member # 11749

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CD57     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hoosier, isn't your LLMD pretty open to your calling the shots? have you tried the PA?
Posts: 3528 | From US | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CD57
Member # 11749

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CD57     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hoosier, isn't your LLMD pretty open to your calling the shots? have you tried the PA?
Posts: 3528 | From US | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hoosiers51
Member # 15759

Yes, for the most part they are. I mean, it could be worse. Just lately I have been really insisting on a couple things I wanna try, and it still hasn't happened...things I started asking about like 6 months ago. So getting frustrated. I don't want another 6 months to go by like this, if that makes sense.

It's becoming obvious to me that waiting around for the right time is pointless...the time to try some of this stuff is now.

Hoosiers51
Member # 15759

CD57,

Your PM box is full!

seibertneurolyme
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 6416

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seibertneurolyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You could get bloodwork done thru Life Extension. Membership is $75 annually. Then you order bloodwork as needed -- no physician orders needed. CBC/Chemistry Panel is only $35. Orders are mailed to you and you go to any LabCorp facility for blood draw. Results can be either sent by email or regualr mail to the patient.

I have done this several times for myself since I do not have insurance. Many other tests available -- such as thyroid panels, CRP etc.

Hoosiers -- If hubby did not have insurance we would probably be doing what you are suggesting.

We try to schedule appointments 6 weeks apart to save on costs and frequently hubby knows within 2 weeks if the changes from the previous appointment helped or not. Seems like we are always waiting for that next appointment to move on and then like you said the docs don;t always go along with all our suggestions.

It really is a tough choice.

Bea Seibert

Posts: 7306 | From Martinsville,VA,USA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hoosiers51
Member # 15759

Thanks for the ideas. I might just do that, with the labwork.

Yes, I am the same as your husband. I can tell within 2 weeks, sometimes even less time, if what I'm doing is going to help.

Luckily I've gotten my immune system to the point that I either respond, or I don't. But then I just spend the other 4 weeks or so sitting around, waiting to change. It's getting to the point that it's a big waste of time, and I"m watching months of my life go by!

Thanks for the support.

Treelady
Member # 23506

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Treelady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can't imagine doing this on my own. Everytime I think I know what I am doing I start having issues and talk to my llmd and he does something that I never in a million years would have thought of.

Even now that I am very well informed he still amazes me with his breadth of knowledge. A good doc is invaluable as far as I am concerned.

I was banging around on my own for over a year until I found my guy. Made all the difference.

Maybe many of you are way better informed than I am but I won't give my guy up until they pry him from my cold dead hands.

--------------------
Treelady

Posts: 39 | From California | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stacyb
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13084

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stacyb     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hoosier,

I am with you on treating your self.
I say as long as you know the risks
and benefits and can get blood work
done, then great. You can even consult
with say a NP that can help you run the blood
work or at least help with the natural stuff too.
Then you can get the abx on your own.
I feel the same way------ that I have been at this
long enough to know what helps and when.

Good Luck

Posts: 476 | From Columbus, Ohio | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MariaA
Member # 9128

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MariaA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
you can get your own bloodwork done through other labs besides Life Extension, too- this was discussed here recently but I for the life of me can't remember the websites. Sparkle7 suggested them. It's comparable to Labcorp prices and you go to a local Labcorp for the blood draw.

--------------------
Symptom Free!!! Thank you all!!!!

Find me at Lymefriends, I post under the same name.
diet: http://lymefriends.ning.com/group/healthylowcarbrecipes
Homemade Probiotics thread
Herbal Links Thread

Posts: 2552 | From San Francisco | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
massman
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How do you determine if the quality of the drugs is good ? Anybody testing for the quality ?

Some genetics are not as good as the originals.

And is expecting changes in 2 weeks reasonable ?
Some drugs for RA may take more than 6 weeks to begin to show results.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BoxerMom
Member # 25251

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BoxerMom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A favorite Chinese aphorism: "With time, the patient becomes the doctor."

Be smart. Be careful. And do what makes sense to you.

Wags,
BoxerMom

--------------------
 - Must...find...BRAIN!!!

Posts: 2867 | From Pacific NW | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sickpuppy
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 23846

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sickpuppy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would put my foot down with the LLMD and insist on the things you want to try. YOU are the client. Unless there's some real downside he/she is worried about, you are paying so you should be able to make requests.

I just don't get the doctor thing. The doctor is the employee and you are the boss. You go to him/her for expertise as you would a graphic designer, architect, etc. It is not a dictatorship.

I AM worried about you going off on your own though. There are combo, dosing etc issues to worry about and you'll need help if things go wrong.

Posts: 702 | From North Eastern USA | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CD57
Member # 11749

Hoosier box empty now
nefferdun
Member # 20157

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nefferdun     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have treated myself but I tell the GP what to give me. I went to an LLMD 500 miles away who gave me levaquin. When I floxed (at five weeks) and could not use any abx he refused to recommend herbs telling me I would have to come back to see his partner. A couple of months ago I went to a LLND who refused to treat the bart saying she likes to treat lyme first. It didn't make a dent in her mind when I argued that I have been treating lyme for two years. She also gave me augmentin after i told her I had a reaction to amoxy.

So I don't trust doctors to treat me more knowledgeably than I can treat myself. I am much better because I have researched this and decided for myself what I want to try.

For the most part I get my drugs from the GP but I have ordered from India. It is much cheaper and works just as well. I pay 3 dollars a pill for generic imitrex from India; whereas locally it costs me $24. When I was having daily migraine, I just couldn't afford buying it here. I also got zithro from India but currently I am getting everything from the GP. If I was ever cut off I would not hesitate to buy online.

I get blood work done from the GP. I have to tell him to give it to me. Even though he is giving me the drugs he does not think about it. I just call and the nurse gives me the test. I have heard of people telling the doctor they are an alcoholic and want to check their liver.

By the way, my current protocol came from you Hoosiers and it is working very well for me. Just about everything I have tried has come from online discussions and books.

My problem is knowing when to quit. I have felt nearly well before and quit abx too soon. I wish there was someone that would guide me through this - someone I could trust. That would feel so wonderful - but there isn't.

--------------------
old joke: idiopathic means the patient is pathological and the the doctor is an idiot

Posts: 4676 | From western Montana | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cactus
Member # 7347

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cactus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hoos, I haven't read all the responses here (feeling pretty icky at the moment) but I wanted to just give you some support.

You are very well educated about this disease, and you know your body.

I think you would be an excellent doc! [Wink]

Your LLMD would benefit from listening to your suggestions regarding your treatment, but if that's not happening - I think you can do what needs to be done, and do it well.

--------------------
�Did you ever stop to think, and forget to start again?� - A.A. Milne

Posts: 1987 | From No. VA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lauirel
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 16640

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lauirel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I cannot thank you enough for this thread.

I have also been doing things on my own, and have made great strides. But I have arrived at a place where I now need to have labs done and other testing.

It is my hope to get another doc on board with those labs.

Additionally, web sites in which others have used for meds is what I have also been searching for. If anyone knows those links, could they either pm or post?

Sometimes, you gotta do what you gotta do. Just be cautious and critical.

LaurieL

--------------------
�Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it�s the only thing that ever has.�

Posts: 149 | From Kansas/Missouri | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MariaA
Member # 9128

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MariaA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wrote up a long thing at Lymefriends about shopping for prescriptions 'cheaply' and about other workarounds that people who are desperate are using:
http://lymefriends.ning.com/forum/topics/cheapest-ways-to-shop-for

--------------------

Herbal Links Thread

Posts: 2552 | From San Francisco | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MariaA
Member # 9128

I didn't find the same lab as was posted here in the past, but here are a few others that came up when I did a search:
https://www.mymedlab.com/ (this one was mentioned in an about.com thyroid article)
http://resellers.directlabs.com/?rid=44

I have NOT price-checked these against Labcorp, but I think in both cases you go to a local Labcorp location and get the blood drawn there and they mail it to the diagnostic lab itself.

I price-checked another 'order-it-yourself' lab a few weeks ago and the prices were comparable to Labcorp.

--------------------

Herbal Links Thread

FunkOdyssey
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15855

Icon 1 posted      Profile for FunkOdyssey     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Those are very expensive, the best/cheapest testing I've found is through LEF, although you need to pay the annual $75 membership free.

http://www.lef.org/Vitamins-Supplements/Blood-Tests/

You can get your basic CBC with chemistry and metabolic panel for $26 if you're a member there. Full thyroid panel = $65, other tests are similarly reasonable.

Posts: 195 | From Manchester, CT | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MariaA
Member # 9128

I found another place with similar prices as you're quoting and a few dollars cheaper than Labcorp (I lost my bookmarks so I don't have the URL anymore), but there was a one-blood-draw $10 processing fee. so if you were doing one test like the CBC it was the cost of the test plus $10, if you did four different tests there was still just the single $10 to add to the cost. Keep searching online, there are quite a few of these.

--------------------

Herbal Links Thread

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement