LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » dry mouth

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: dry mouth
Jocelyn S.
Member # 24711

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jocelyn S.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is constant dry eyes or dry mouth a symptom of Lyme.? I didn't see it on a symptom list.
Thanks

Posts: 25 | From south Florida | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Yes, dry eyes and dry mouth can be from lyme. Some non-LL doctors would first jump to dx the autoimmune condition "Sjogren's syndrome" but, often, in lyme patients - with treatment for lyme - these symptoms disappear.

Sjogren's is often misdiagnosed but be sure to tell your LLMD for the best assessment of your case.

But, first, check all the medicines you are taking. Look up each one on at least 2 different websites. Dry mouth is a frequent side effect, especially with sleep and mood meds.

Dry mouth can cause gum and bone loss in the mouth, dental infections and, thereby, heart disease from mouth infections moving to bloodstream and then to the heart. It's not to be taken lightly.

If you have a non-essential medicine that causes dry mouth, it would be best to titrate off of it, with your doctor's guidance.

You should also be screened for diabetes, but know that lyme can cause diabetes, so you might discuss this with your LLMD first.

Your LLMD may also want to more fully address immune support and cranial nerve therapy. Gentle cranial-Sacral or lymph massage may help.

Also be sure you have the right balance of water, sea salt, vitamins and minerals - and rest. Avoid ALL artificial ingredients, colors, etc.

You might toss your toothpaste out and use baking soda. Wet your toothbrush, sprinkle on a little baking soda and wait a little bit for it to dissolve so that it can't scratch the enamel on your teeth.

I suggest this as many toothpastes contain some very harsh chemicals.

FISH OIL, too, is vital to help lessen dry eyes and dry mouth. Liver support, too.

Look up CankerMelts. (At www.Vitacost.com ) That will help keep your mouth moist with safe ingredients. Nothing fake. Gluten-free.

For your eyes, a presevative-free, steroid-free "Liquid Tears" or similar drop. Use several times a day, as needed. It's important to keep the eyes lubricated.

Also be sure to "allergy-proof" your home. Go scent and chemical free in all personal care and household products, etc.

Avoid makeup on your eyes and toss out all eye make-up as that can contain contaminants. It should be tossed out every six months anyway. If you must wear make-up, get some that is free of harsh chemicals.

Go to Rachel's Friends website for details on safe make-up.

=============

http://www.angelfire.com/biz/romarkaraoke/whento.htm

When to Suspect Lyme - by 
John D. Bleiweiss, M.D.

Excerpt:

. . . The more commonly noticed neurologic deficits involve one or more cranial nerves (I thru XII), . . . Gum and tooth pain can be another manifestation of trigeminal neuritis. . . .
-

[ 04-21-2010, 07:10 PM: Message edited by: Keebler ]

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
http://www.wisegeek.com/what-are-the-causes-of-dry-mouth.htm

What Are the Causes of Dry Mouth? - Written by Malcolm Tatum for WiseGEEK.com

When an individual is nearing a state of dehydration, dry mouth will be one of the warning signs. The individual may be nearing heat exhaustion or possibly even a heat stroke.

To correct the problem, it is important to get out of the sun and begin to replace lost fluids using water or some type of fortified sports drink. Avoid drinks containing caffeine, as these are much less effective with the process of rehydration.

Another of the more common causes of dry mouth has to do with medication. There are a number of prescription medicines that will cause the saliva glands to curtail the production of saliva.

Correcting medication side effects of this nature is sometimes a simple task. Notify your physician of the problem. There is a good chance he or she can either provide something to counteract the effect or switch you to another medication altogether.

Disease is another of the several causes of dry mouth. People who live with diabetes, Parkinson's Disease, or HIV/AIDS are more susceptible to dry mouth than others. . . .

A number of infections can bring about dry mouth. Usually, treating the infection with antibiotics or other appropriate measures will help alleviate the dryness and restore the saliva glands to an equitable level of production.

. . .

One of the causes of dry mouth that is sometimes more difficult to address is nerve damage. When there is trauma to the head or neck that disrupts the function of the nerves in the area, the salivary glands may not receive the message to produce saliva.

Depending on the extent of the damage, the condition may be more or less permanent and require that the individual take steps to keep the mouth hydrated by other means.

===============

http://www.orahealth.com/products.html

CankerMelts, XYLIMELTS FOR DRY MOUTH, etc.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TF
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 14183

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TF     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had lyme, babs, and bart.

It gave me dry mouth and dry eyes. I had to doctor for both conditions.

Once I got good lyme treatment, these conditions went away.

Posts: 9931 | From Maryland | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wolfed Out
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 23727

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wolfed Out     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Keebler,

That was a scary and informative response.

Umm, I've been suffering with dry mouth, quite severe at times for the last couple months. It may be related to Minocycline or Azithromycin.

I told my LLMD but he doesn't seem concerned...

My gum lines have also been receding!

Posts: 829 | From MD | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
eightybarb
Member # 24968

Icon 1 posted      Profile for eightybarb     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am experiencing dry toungue if I brush it with tooth paste. So I brushed it with baking soda and my tongue did not get dry.

Also if I used floride tooth paste on my tongue then it becomes dry.

Posts: 96 | From Germantown | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kellephant
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 24885

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kellephant     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
yes! i have severe dry mouth and eyes too. i drink at least 8 bottles of water a day, and nothing else! i'm ALWAYS thirsty, and my eyes burn so badly in the morning it's torture... my doctor gave me some drops that fight bacteria and they help a little, but not much.
Posts: 220 | From Kansas | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement