LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » New Lyme Diagnosis & Pregnancy

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: New Lyme Diagnosis & Pregnancy
hildy0521
Member # 25133

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hildy0521     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well my doctor just called me back with my Igenex results and she says I am positive for lyme =(

I am assuming it's chronic lyme because I was not recently bitten and my neurological symptoms (headaches, tingling, back pain) have been going on for over 2 yrs.

I am VERY VERY worried because I am 14 weeks pregnant and have heard different stories of women with chronic lyme having healthy babies and others who don't. She said she is going to start me on treatment, but I am very worried for my babies.

Please do not scare me by telling me stories of unhealthy babies. I just want re-assurance that things WILL turn out OK with my babies.

Worried Mom-to-be

Posts: 29 | From Texas | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
feelbetter
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 21957

Icon 1 posted      Profile for feelbetter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
HI:
Can I ask you that your headache are daily?
Do your symptoms actually get better after pregant?

I think as long as you take medicine during your pregnancy,your baby will be fine,don't worry.

Posts: 158 | From pittsburgh | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Sorry to hear this. There will be a lot to learn but your baby (babies) can still be born healthy. It's happened even for women who didn't know they had lyme. For others with complications, since you have the knowledge, the baby's / babies' health can be monitored. That matters greatly so if you have a good doctor, that is the main key to success.

As you say "babies" - are you carrying twins, or triplets?

Does MAGNESIUM help to calm the headaches. Lyme patients are often very deficient in magnesium. That can cause severe headaches and other pain. A good magnesium supplement can help and it can also help keep toxins lower. Magnesium is often used in pregnancy to treat toxic blood conditions.

GINGER Capsules can also be used to help with nausea and vertigo that often come with lyme. I know that Ginger capsules are used in pregnancy but you can search and also ask your doctor about that. GINGER can also help as an anti-oxidant to lessen pain.

Curcumin or Turmeric may also be safe for use in pregnancy. It can help calm exhausted adrenals (common with lyme) and also lessen inflammation and pain.

With proper treatment, all may be fine. Glad you have the knowledge necessary - that is the first step.

Do you have an ILADS-educated Lyme Literate Medical doctor? Or, one who is willing to learn more and maybe talk with some ILADS-member doctors?

Good luck. As you have so much love and concern, I can see that you will be fine mother. If at times you feel some fear around all this, turn to that feeling of LOVE. With knowledge and Love, that's a strong combination.

=========

www.ilads.org

ILADS
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KS
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 12549

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KS     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you treat with antibiotics, there is no reason to believe your baby won't be fine. I'm personally not aware of any case of a pregnant woman who had lyme and treated, who gave birth to a baby with known lyme-related issues. My suggestion would be to look into treating with antibiotics for at least the remainder of your pregnancy....most non-LLMDs will disagree however.

We think I was infected with lyme disease during my second pregnancy (I didn't know so didn't treat) and my son is now 4 and is healthy.

Posts: 561 | From mass | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
littlebit27
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 24477

Icon 1 posted      Profile for littlebit27   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think I might have been bit before I had my 3rd child and possibly before the 2nd child. I've had some symptoms for years but always attributed them to other things. Fatigue, back ache and head ache were all the bad ones. My new LLMD thinks that could have been the beginning.

I have 3 healthy kids (1st 1 I don't think I had lyme yet). The 3rd one I did go into pre-term labor which hadn't happened with my other two pregnancies. But they stopped it and she was born full term. She is only 17 months now but seems to be doing well and seems to be on a normal level!

Good luck to you!

--------------------
*Brittany Lyme Aware on FB*
http://littlebithaslyme.wordpress.com/

Posts: 2310 | From Southeast | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hildy0521
Member # 25133

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hildy0521     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, my headaches are daily. Sometimes it is a dull headache throughout the day and sometimes they turn into full blown migraines...usually about twice a week. It's horrible since I can't take my usual migraine medication.

Keebler-yes, I am expecting twins. I've never tried magnesium for the headaches. I'm really scared to take meds during my pregnancy so I usually just try to sleep off the headaches.

Thank you everyone else for your comments. Your comments have truly put me at ease somewhat and have re-assured me.

Less Worried Mom-to-be =)

Posts: 29 | From Texas | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
maureen2174
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11471

Icon 1 posted      Profile for maureen2174     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
awww.... sorry you are going through this with a pregnancy.

i just wanted you to know that i have researched over and over about lyme and pregnancy and have read posts over the past few years. if you are treated (which you will be) during the pregnancy, the outcome is very, very good.

the reason i researched it so much is because is so important to me to have more children (i have one child, who just turned 5 yesterday). it was the first question i asked my llmd at my first appointment and she said yes, i would be able to have more children.

her husband treated lots and lots of pregnant women and the outcome was positive. i have been told that Dr. B treated pregnant women years ago with amoxicillan and he kept track of the outcomes over a long period (maybe 18 years, but not sure?) and all were positive.

i don't want to say to you that there is not a chance that your babies would have lyme disease, but unfortunately there is never a chance that our babies will not get bit by a tick in their lifetime and get lyme from that. i just want to reassure you that the outcome will most likely be a good one. the other thing is that it is great that you know now and will get the treatment you need for you and your babies.

a little later down the road, you can look into how to get your babies tested at birth. that way you could treat them immediately if you need to and again, the outcome of that is very, very good.

i assume that you are going to be in treatment with an llmd?

Posts: 871 | From NJ | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hildy0521
Member # 25133

Maureen- the doctor I am currently going to right now I don't think is an LLMD. I think she is only lyme-friendly. However I've already made an appt for May 5th with an LLMD that is 5 hrs away who also happens to be an ob/gyn as well.

Thank you for your words of encouragement. It truly does put my mind and nerves at ease =)

maureen2174
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11471

Icon 1 posted      Profile for maureen2174     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
okay, well that is great that you have found an LLMD who is also an ob/gyn! you will be in great hands.

good luck to you with everything- twins- so exciting!

Posts: 871 | From NJ | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymers
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 21512

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymers     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hidy0521,

I am also currently pregnant and I have lyme. The pregnanacy was planned with the guidance of my LLMD. I am treating during the whole pregnancy.

I have a 3 year old who was born with lyme and coinfections (didn't know I had lyme when I was pregnant with him). He was treated for almost 2 years and is doing wonderfully now!

You are lucky you know you have lyme and can get the appropriate treatment for yourself and you babies.

I think your babies will be just fine.

Lymers

Posts: 287 | From Humboldt County, CA | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
maureen2174
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11471

lymers- what is your treatment protocol? which meds, what dosages?

thanks, maureen

lymers
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 21512

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymers     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maureen,

I am taking 250 mg of zithromax 2x/day and 775 mg of Moxatag ER 2x/day.

Lymers

Posts: 287 | From Humboldt County, CA | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hopeforhealth
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 23673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hopeforhealth     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am 32 weeks pregnant and have been in treatment for 14 months. My doctor has me on a low dose, only 2000 mg amox a day. He says that that is enough to protect the baby. My pregnancy was not planned but we are happy and praying she is healthy. I have a 3 year old and have had different issues with him since he was born. I have no idea if he has lyme but as different issues with him arise I am beginning to wonder. I plan on getting him tested but know there is no one around here where he could get treatment. All the best to you, I don't really have a good support system, I am from Canada and there are not a lot of resources. It sounds like you do, feel free to be in contact even just for some one to talk to
Posts: 199 | From Niagara Falls | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement