LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Now a new worry - killer fungus - Cryptococcus gattii (no I'm not kidding)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Now a new worry - killer fungus - Cryptococcus gattii (no I'm not kidding)
sparkle7
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 10397

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sparkle7     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Killer fungus seen in Pacific Northwest

http://www.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/04/22/killer.fungus.pacific.northwest/index.html?eref=igoogle_cnn

STORY HIGHLIGHTS

Fungus was lethal in about 25 percent of those in the U.S. who have developed infections

Symptoms of infection include chest pain, a persistent cough, shortness of breath

Fungus has tended to cause disease in people with weakened immune systems

It's unlikely that it will spread across the continent via plane or other travel

Posts: 7772 | From Northeast, again... | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pinelady
Member # 18524

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pinelady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe this is why many LLMD's are so adamant about

us taking something to prevent yeast and fungus like Nystatin.

Here are a couple of good articles on fungus. I also like the
Melanin protects Madurella mycetomatis against itraconazole and ketoconazole, first-line treatment agents against mycetoma

Wendy W.J van de Sande1, Johan de Kat1, Abdalla O.A. Ahmed2, Henri Verbrugh1 & Alex van Belkum1
1Erasmus MC, University Medical Centre Rotterdam, Department of Medical Microbiology & Infectious Diseases, Dr. Molewaterplein 40, 3015 GD Rotterdam, The Netherlands; 2Mycetoma Research Group, Institute of Endemic Diseases and Faculty of Medical Laboratory Sciences, University of Khartoum, Khartoum, Sudan

The ability of certain microbes to produce melanin has been linked to virulence and pathogenicity for their respective animal or plant hosts. The aim of this study was to determine the pathway used by M. mycetomatis to form its melanin. Furthermore we wanted to know if melanin protects the fungus against the host immune system or antifungal agents used to treat mycetoma infections. Fungal melanin can be formed via three different pathways, the DHN-, the DOPA-pathway and the Pheo-pathway. By using inhibitors specific for these pathways we could establish that M. mycetomatis uses the DHN- and Pheo-pathways to produce melanin. Melanin has been known to protect fungi like Cryptococcus neoformans and Aspergillus spp. to oxidants and even antifungal agents.
http://www.nvmy.nl/11%20april%20abst.htm

They could learn a lot from our LLMD's who have to work around biofilms every day....

--------------------
Suspected Lyme 07 Test neg One band migrating in IgG region
unable to identify.Igenex Jan.09IFA titer 1:40 IND
IgM neg pos
31 +++ 34 IND 39 IND 41 IND 83-93 +
DX:Neuroborreliosis

Posts: 5850 | From Kentucky | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sparkle7
Member # 10397

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sparkle7     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Symptoms of this fungus are very similar to Lyme & the co-infections -

The symptoms of infection include chest pain, a persistent cough, shortness of breath, fever, and weight loss. The fungus can also cause meningitis, or inflammation of the membranes lining the brain, but can be treated with antifungal drugs. C. gattii is found in soil and trees, but experts haven't yet determined how humans breathe it in.

-----

Maybe this is another reason why some people aren't getting well with the usual treatments?

I'm going to look into some over the counter & herbal remedies for fungal infections.

I think colloidal silver & tea tree oil are some that come to mind. I was reading that nebulized nano or molecular silver may be helpful for pneumonia or respiratory infections.

Posts: 7772 | From Northeast, again... | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
I got a fungal infection (Valley Fever) in 1976, living in the desert area of California.

Every place has fungi. There is no escape. Wish I had learned long ago about olive leaf extract. It has been my very best supplement in it's ability to tame the bad fungi. And medical mushrooms actually are very helpful fungi to me.

===============

When I acquired Valley Fever, I was just told, everyone who moves here gets it. No treatment, it goes away in a couple weeks. They know now that Valley Fever can be chronic.

-------------------

http://health.nytimes.com/health/guides/disease/coccidioidomycosis/overview.html?inline=nyt-classifier#

http://tinyurl.com/222up6

Coccidioidomycosis is a disease caused by the spores of the fungus Coccidioides immitis.

Reference from A.D.A.M.

ALTERNATIVE NAMES
Coccidiosis; San Joaquin Valley fever; Valley fever
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LoneDove
Member # 16516

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LoneDove     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What I'd like to know is how a tropical fungus got a foothold in the Pacific NW??
Posts: 78 | From SW | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
The NW has rain forests, much of the area is dense and wet most of the year - and lots of ships from all over the world year round.

Ships carry everything everywhere, and much besides just their cargo. My guess is they'd find this in many other states, too. They won't even think to look, though.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sparkle7
Member # 10397

From the CNN article above -

The fungus hails from the tropics and may have been carried to North America on imported plants or trees, experts say. It first emerged on this continent in 1999, on Vancouver Island off the coast of British Columbia, where it ultimately infected more than 200 people, killing nearly 9 percent of them.

From there, the fungus is believed to have crossed the border into the U.S. on logging trucks or car tires sometime before 2005, when the first infections were reported in Washington and Oregon. The cases in California "indicate that C. gattii can survive in that habitat," says Yonathan Lewit, a research technician at Duke and a co-author of the new study, which appears in the journal PLoS Pathogens.

The new strain described by Byrnes and his colleagues seems to have mutated relatively recently, and has appeared in humans as well as in cats, dogs, and other animals. (In animals, symptoms include a runny nose and breathing problems, and other strains have been seen in ferrets and llamas too.)

The mutation "is causing major illness in the region, and it's different from what's causing disease on Vancouver Island," says Christina Hull, PhD, an assistant professor of medical microbiology and immunology at the University of Wisconsin School of Medicine and Public Health, in Madison.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement