LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » PLEASE SEE THIS ON BACTRIM!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: PLEASE SEE THIS ON BACTRIM!
Marrit
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 25454

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Marrit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://briandeer.com/septrin/bactrim-effects-28.htm

Has anyone had side-effects with Bactrim DS and thought they were herxing?
Check out the link above and tell me what you think.

Posts: 277 | From Pennsylvania | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Toppers
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 20083

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Toppers     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Eh, you can find anything positive or negative on the net you want.

Looked into quinolones lately?

Posts: 501 | From Cleveland Ohio | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TF
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 14183

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TF     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I successfully took Bactrim DS for almost a year. I took it 2 times per day. It got rid of my babesiosis.

As soon as I started taking it, I got a babesia flare every Friday evening like clockwork. It would always lift on Sunday evening. It was horrible. It gave me a feeling of total doom.

I would just lay. I would not talk, eat, move, go to the bathroom, walk, etc. I would believe that I was going to feel this way my entire life.

At the next lyme appt., I told the doc about these weekend sicknesses. He then had me add artimesinin from Friday through Sunday. It worked like a miracle!

The feeling of doom was gone, and the sickness or flare was just mild and lasted only 6 hours. Each week with the art, it was less and less. It became just a need to sleep for an hour. Finally, no more flare. That's how we knew my babs was gone.

Bactrim is a very old drug. It is a combination antibiotic. It is used to treat many things.

Too bad people don't read the package inserts when they get a new prescription. Then, they would know to call the doc when they start coughing or the other serious side effects listed on the Bactrim insert.

Here is a typical listing for Bactrim:

http://www.drugs.com/bactrim.html

I looked at a few of Brian Deer's cases. They needed to take seriously what the package insert says about serious side effects of Bactrim.

Everyone is different. If you are allergic to prednisone and a doc gives you a big dose, it could kill you. But for others, it is a life-saver. Why do people think they don't have to read these package inserts? If you start getting new symptoms once you start taking a new med, it is time to READ about that med. Don't you think?

Posts: 9931 | From Maryland | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marrit
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 25454

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Marrit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
TF, as soon as I got the burning and figured out what it was due to, I started to search.
Maybe some people don't have internet or computer access? Or just too trusting of their doctor? Doctors usually don't know much about the meds they prescribe. Pharmacists are a better resource.
I cannot imagine taking Bactrim as long as you did. I can't even imagine taking it one more time.
I am just beginning to feel better after the one capsule I took this morning at 10:00 AM ... and it is 8:40 pm.
I don't know what artimesinin is or what it does. I'll have to look it up. Thanks for your feedback.

Posts: 277 | From Pennsylvania | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seekhelp
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 15067

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seekhelp     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I took it for 3 days and stopped. My LLMD always pulled me off of anything that made me sick. Not sure if good or bad. I felt very ill and my throat tight and neck stiffer than ever.
Posts: 7545 | From The 5th Dimension - The Twilight Zone | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
groovy2
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 6304

Icon 1 posted      Profile for groovy2   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bactrim helped me A Lot in treating Babs -

As with ANY medicine or ABX you take it
is Important to drink Gallons of water every day -

While I was on Heavy duty treatment
( about 6 times the ABX that most people
take here on LN )

my liver tests came back Perfect - Every Time-

Why??? because I drank 3 to 5 gallons of warm tea per day -- Simple as that --

If you dont have a glass of water or tea in your
hand as you read this ---

You are Not drinking enough --Jay--

Posts: 2999 | From Austin tx USA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Toppers
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 20083

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Toppers     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I second groovy2. Have forgotten to buy milk thistle in 2 months, but I drink minimum of a gallon of various teas per night. Perfect liver function after a year of abx hammering my system.

Coincidence? [Razz]

Posts: 501 | From Cleveland Ohio | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Topaz
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 20216

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Topaz     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not to say Bactrim can't have horrible side effects, but I can't help but wonder if some of those people unknowingly had lyme and were herxing.
Posts: 423 | From Upstate NY | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marrit
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 25454

I've read around quite a bit, and it appears that a lot of people think they are "herxing" when they are actually having a very bad reaction to the medication.
My son is a research chemist at a top pharmaceutical company, and he has warned me about abtx treatments!
The more you know about these things, the more cautious you become ...

groovy2, what kind of teas do you drink? de-caffeinated?

seekhelp, your reaction is similar to some others who tried Bactrim. Thankfully, your doctor immediately pulled you off. Others who continued after those symptoms went on to paralysis and other life-threatening issues. Some have had irreversible damage.

I think one should suspect medication sensitivity BEFORE chalking it up to a "herx" and not just assume.

Thanks everyone for your input.

lauriemay1
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 24153

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lauriemay1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Absolutely, I too thought it was a herx... my daughter had a fever and body aches all over on Bactrim, turned out to be an allergy, be very careful. Bactrim is off limits in my house.... She is still very sick from the side affects.
Posts: 163 | From Central New Jersey | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kday
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 22234

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kday     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I couldn't imagine anything worse than quinolones.

And I tried to convince myself I wasn't suffering from quinolone toxicity because I was afraid I was. I'm putting it as an allergy on a medical bracelet.

Ok, maybe Lariam would be worse, but I would never touch that. And before I knew anything, I thought the FDA is there to protect us. Yeah right!

Posts: 967 | From A deserted island without internet access | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nefferdun
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 20157

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nefferdun     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You are damned if you do and damned if you don't. All abx have potentially serious side effects. If you are allergic even the most benign can kill you. I would rather not take any of them but I have no choice. Levaquin gave me tendonitis but it was also very effective against bart. Bactrim Ds was one of the easiest drugs for me to tolerate and it worked great against bart. I feel so much better. But I did get insomnia from it and dry skin, eyes and mouth. I am taking a break and then another combo for awhile.

--------------------
old joke: idiopathic means the patient is pathological and the the doctor is an idiot

Posts: 4676 | From western Montana | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement