LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Bactrim - BURNING -- anyone else?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Bactrim - BURNING -- anyone else?
Marrit
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 25454

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Marrit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I started abtx yesterday. I took one Bactrim at about 11:30 AM and at 9:30 PM I was still on fire. I thought it was another supplement and didn't connect the burn with Bactrim.

Today I took my second Bactrim and the burn was immediate. My stomach, down to arms/hands, upper chest. Also have headache, sleepy, slightly jittery, and a little light-headed.

It's the burn that has me concerned. Anyone have an allergy to Bactrim, and what were your symptoms?

Posts: 277 | From Pennsylvania | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lyme in Putnam
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 11561

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lyme in Putnam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think that bactrim is sulphur based - are you sensitive to sulphur? Feel better.

--------------------
He took u to it, He'll you through

Posts: 2837 | From NE. | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MariaA
Member # 9128

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MariaA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There can be a very serious allergy to Bactrim- though it's not the same thing as a sulfur allergy- please call your doctor and do some research on what it can look like, it can be very serious. Usually it starts as itching.

--------------------
Symptom Free!!! Thank you all!!!!

Find me at Lymefriends, I post under the same name.
diet: http://lymefriends.ning.com/group/healthylowcarbrecipes
Homemade Probiotics thread
Herbal Links Thread

Posts: 2552 | From San Francisco | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marrit
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 25454

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Marrit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
lyme in Putnam: my sister is allergic to sulfur drugs, but I've never had them, so I don't have any idea.

MariaA:
This isn't itching, but burning like fire.

Thank you both for your feedback.

Anyone else have burning???

Posts: 277 | From Pennsylvania | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beachinit
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 21040

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Beachinit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I never had those symptoms but at about day 8 to day 11 of taking bactrim daily I did have some skin itch and redness and some mild light-headedness. I was taking bactrim ds twice a day
with zithro once a day. I read that taking vitamin c 1000 mg/day can help prevent the nitrosylation of the sulf component of the bactrim. I can go longer now 18 days is my longest but then need 24 hrs of detox eg no med,
lipoic acid on empty stomach, same for enzymes,
oat bran - to bind and eliminate liver toxins etc. Are you doing supplements and detox already Marrit?

--------------------
Ideas not advice.

Posts: 448 | From Downeast Maine | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marrit
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 25454

Beachinit: Thank you for sharing your experience with it. I just started the abtx yesterday. I'm not taking a lot of supplements.
I don't know anything about detox. Does everyone do this? Just take a break and add certain supplements? What does lipoic acid do? What is your regimen? Why do you take enzymes?
I'm gluten intolerant and can't tolerate oats. I've tried enzymes, and they seem to exacerbate the horrific night sweats. Not sure why. Maybe another sensitivity?

Marrit
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 25454

Bactrim seems to get a very low rating from users, based on online info. Some people have had irreversible side-effects. Serious ones.
Seems like if you get the rash, you should stop immediately. But some people don't get the rash until after they finish the prescription (5, 7, 10 days) and then they get seriously ill.

http://briandeer.com/bactrim-septra.htm

beths
Member # 18864

Icon 1 posted      Profile for beths     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I felt like I was onfire when treating bart-although it was rifampin. I would wake up at night feeling like someone thru acid on me. Maybe it's a bart herx?
Posts: 1276 | From maryland | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marrit
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 25454

Well, I don't know about the Bart herx. It began with the very first dose, and in my stomach.
I found some other people online discussing their experiences with Bactrim, and a few also had the burning before moving on to the rash and more serious side-effects.
I think I will not play with this one and move on to the next.

lauriemay1
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 24153

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lauriemay1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bactrim is bad. My 14 year old just had an allergic reaction to it after 16 days of taken it 100 MG twice per day. Everything was going fine then bam, she got high fevers, swollen throat and this all happened this past weekend, she is still bed ridden from the side effects. We stopped taking the abx right away.. her LLMD has her on antihistamines (alavert) to reverse the allergic reaction. He is deciding on which abx to put her on next - Bactrim DS is out forever in my eyes. She didn't get a burn but it could be an allergy, be very careful.
Posts: 163 | From Central New Jersey | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beachinit
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 21040

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Beachinit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am no expert on detox and will be looking for anecdotal information on this including liver support which is something I have yet to try.
I do benefit from a day off from the antibiotics occasionally. Every 2 weeks is about right for zith and bactrim for instance though with doxy can go much longer. Doxy has been less toxic for me in 4 months of real world experience. I chose to stick with bactrim because I could not tolerate quinolones like floxin etc. and did not want to track LFT's on rifampin at this time. We have limited options. Bactrim was an alternative. It has been very helpful to me. Nothing we take for this disease
is risk free. Search on rifampin and floxin
and there are lots of negatives (but many positives) there as well.
Flagyl has helped a lot but I have had the neuropathy it can cause, fortunately for me it was temporary but I would say flagyl and bactrim
got rid of my lyme dementia quite nicely. We each have to stick with the things that work and
move on when they do not.

Beachinit

--------------------
Ideas not advice.

Posts: 448 | From Downeast Maine | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement