LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Anyone ever "herx" from coconut oil?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Anyone ever "herx" from coconut oil?
ChronicOptimist
Member # 25561

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ChronicOptimist     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I woke up with a killer headache and aches all over like I have the flu, and I'm not taking anything else that would cause that.

I'm taking about 3 tablespoons a day.

Posts: 28 | From United States | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lajamur
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 24593

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lajamur     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Coconut oil makes me feel pretty ill. I didn't know that you're supposed to ramp up your "dose" gradually and I started out on 3 tbsp per day. A day and a half later I felt like I had some kind of stomach flu... stomach was totally messed up and I also had a general "off" feeling in my body.

I think it definitely kills something, or does something.

I want to try it again starting at 1/2 tsp and work my way up really slowly because it's SO good for you, and it tastes awesome.

I would be interested to know if others think it causes a lyme/TBI herx or if it's just yeast die off. I couldn't figure that one out.

--------------------
Symptoms since age 4
IGM positive Western Blot (Bb)
PCR positive Spiro Stat (Anaplasma)
Suspect babs and bart

Posts: 226 | From Currently in Los Angeles, originally from Malvern, PA. | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ChronicOptimist
Member # 25561

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ChronicOptimist     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great to know, thanks so much! I do feel like I have a flu/virus...not stomach related but more body aches, headache, maybe a touch of a sore throat.

I started at 1/2 tsp twice a day and now I'm using it like crazy, at 3 tbsp a day. I didn't wake up feeling like this, but an hour ago I ate breakfast with 2 tsp of coconut oil and now I'm not doing so hot.

It does make everything taste awesome, doesn't it?

Posts: 28 | From United States | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
glm1111
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 16556

Icon 1 posted      Profile for glm1111     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Coconut oil is antifungal, antibacterial and antiparasitic.

www.coconutoil.com

--------------------
PARASITES/WORMS ARE NOW
RECOGNIZED AS THE NUMBER 1 CO-INFECTION IN LYME DISEASE BY ILADS*

Posts: 6418 | From philadelphia pa | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marnie
Member # 773

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Marnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lauric acid and caprylic acid in VCO are known anti-bacterials, anti-virals and anti-fungals.

Hard telling which pathogen may have been hit.

Go slowly...very slowly. Give your body time to recover.

Coconut milk at 10 oz (divided like the VCO) looks like it can be substituted. Maybe easier than trying to swallow the "Crisco - like" VCO.

I'm with you...yuck.

Also...don't forget...we do indeed absorb things thru our skin. VCO can be heated slightly over a tea candle and applied to your skin after a bath/shower.

My dog won't stop licking my legs when I do so!

Posts: 9426 | From Sunshine State | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gwb
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 7273

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gwb     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, first time I took just a little lick off a teaspoon it made me feel kind of sick. Now I can take more of it without having too much negative affects. Make popcorn in too! Good stuff!

I also use coconut body soap when I shower. Helps keep my skin moist and feels so much better than regular soap--and much more healthy too!

Gary

Posts: 1349 | From OK | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ChronicOptimist
Member # 25561

Thanks you guys.

How much do you/did you take per day?

glm1111
Member # 16556

Icon 1 posted      Profile for glm1111     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I take between 3-4 tablespoons a day. You can ramp up slowly according to how you are herxing.

Gael

--------------------
PARASITES/WORMS ARE NOW
RECOGNIZED AS THE NUMBER 1 CO-INFECTION IN LYME DISEASE BY ILADS*

Posts: 6418 | From philadelphia pa | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ChronicOptimist
Member # 25561

Oh okay, perhaps I didn't ramp up slow enough. I didn't realize I could herx like this from it.

Did you get air hunger with your coconut oil related herxing? I'm surprised, I'm having difficulty breathing, almost like I did when I was treating babesia.

Theresa
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 421

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Theresa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was going to post that questions today. I started about tbsp once a day .... about the 3rd day became very symptomatic....coughing,gerd,head and neck ache and exhausted, eye problems and a red nose! I saw my alternative today and the coconut oil can cause a herx as it helps detox. God Bless Theresa
Posts: 479 | From nj | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sunnydays
Member # 25310

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sunnydays     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've never had this problem with coconut oil. I use it a lot.
Posts: 89 | From U.S. | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
psano2
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11711

Icon 1 posted      Profile for psano2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Totally makes me herx. If you really want an extra powerful punch, try it on toast in place of butter and then add Manuka honey. Manuka honey also has strong anti microbial qualities.
Posts: 975 | From California | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
A lot of what some patients interpret as a herx, quite often, is simply (or complexly) feeling awful from the disease. Lyme is one of the most toxic infections known to man. There are dozens of ups and downs a day, even under the best controlled circumstances. As hard as that has been to accept, it has given me a freedom to attribute much to "just the way it is - for now."
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ChronicOptimist
Member # 25561

Thanks for the input you guys.

Theresa, good to hear the info from your ND. How much does she want you working up to per day?

Psano2, how much did you use when you herxed on it?

Keebler, that's very true. I was doing better for a couple of weeks though, and then after starting the coconut oil and working up to 2.5 tbsp, symptoms came back.

WildCondor
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I love coconuts and coconut oil, never had any kind of reaction to it though. DO you get the same affect by eating a coconut, or is it the concentrated oil? I know coconut water is excellent for gastritis, that remedy worked for me a bunch of times. [Smile]
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cass A
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 11134

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cass A     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My favorite is COCONUT CREAM CONCENTRATE from Tropical Traditions. It's organic, 70% coconut oil, and tastes like the inside of a Mounds Bar!

I eat it straight out of the jar every morning!

They currently have a sale on, 2 pints for $16. So, if you've never tried it, this would be a good chance to do so!

http://www.tropicaltraditions.com

I just love this stuff--get no $$ for telling people about it.

Best,

Cass A

Posts: 1245 | From Thousand Oaks, CA | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ChronicOptimist
Member # 25561

WC, it's my understanding that anything coconut has the antimicrobial properties and are good for ailments such as gastritis like you said, but coconut oil is the most concentrated form therefore you reap the most benefit from it (if you can handle it).

Cass A, thank you! Do you know roughly how much you conusme in a day?

mtb666
Member # 16224

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mtb666         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've never tried coconut oil per se, but I did by coconut oil derived Monolaurin tabs last year, it's the active ingredient in the oil. Made me herx like hell, even at extremely low doses! Haven't touched it since....have too much other stuff going on right now to try it again (heavy metal detox therapy).

Which leads me to this advice: Get yourself checked for heavy metal poisoning! My LLD uses a place called "Doctor's Data" to do a urine test with the provocative agents EDTA and DMSA. Out of the 21 metals they test for (none of which belong in the human body), I tested positive for 14! Lead, mercury, aluminum, and cadmium were the worst offenders (I used to do a lot of metal working like welding, brazing, and soldering).

The heavy metals interfere with with cellular functions because they latch onto receptors on the cell walls, blocking the pathway for the nutrients that are supposed to get into the cell via those receptors, which causes CFS.

The metal poisoning might be the only remaining thing that's holding me back from returning to full health (i.e. not Lyme), they can cause all of my current symptoms (occasional brain fog, chronic fatigue, fibromyalgia, joint/muscle pain and swelling). The "Golden Rule" of treating CFS is that you cannot proceed with any treatments until the heavy metals are gone, because the treatment drugs are also blocked from entering the cells because of the "already taken" receptors.

I'm back to about 85%-90% of where I was before I got sick with Lyme in 2006, and my fatigue problem is getting much better since I added another supplement specifically designed to help with cellular "feeding" called CellFood, but my body still can't take prolonged activity (more than 2 hours) even if I have the energy - my muscles eventually go into spasm (typically neck, back, and hips), causing debilitating pain, and a very limited range of motion until I can get some PT.

I will need anywhere from 20-40 IV EDTA treatments, 2/wk to start, then move up to 3/wk if my body tolerates it well. I had my 1st one last Friday, and had no herxing, probably because my doc had me taking 600 mg of activated charcoal just before and just after the IV to absorb/bind to the toxins released so the can be excreted instead of being simply redistributed around the body.

With some luck and good medical treatment, I might be good to go in a couple of months...I never thought I'd be able to see the light at the end of the tunnel after plateuing about a year ago, but now it's getting pretty bright!

Posts: 16 | From maryland | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
If you were (as you said above) "doing better for a couple of weeks though, and then after starting the coconut oil and working up to 2.5 tbsp, symptoms came back"

It could be that your body can't handle that much oil from any source. Maybe taper back and see.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement