LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Diagnosing lyme

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Diagnosing lyme
lymie_in_md
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 14197

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymie_in_md     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This topic is about the effectiveness of doctors to diagnose initial lyme patients clinically and what should they do to be more effective. We all know that blood tests are not nearly as effective as they should be for lyme or any TBIs.

How effective is initial clinical evaluation?
How effective would using clinical evaluation and kinesiology in combination compared to what is done today?

My lyme was discovered initially through kinesiology and if it weren't for kinesiology I wouldn't be in remission today. So am I am biased, yep! guess I have a good reason to be.

Are there any studies associated with any of this, just curious if medicine itself does an honest report card on itself?

I'm interested because I believe a great number of lymies fall through the cracks of very poor clinical assessments.

I'm very interested in the study orientation to the question which I think are woefully absent.

A correct medical lyme assessment can be the difference between chronic and treatable. If applied kinesiology with clinical assessment could could increase treatable outcome just 1%. It is my feeling all doctors should do it.

--------------------
Bob

Posts: 2150 | From Maryland | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
greengirl
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 25316

Icon 1 posted      Profile for greengirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Can you explain what kinesiology is a little bit.
Posts: 252 | From New York | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymie_in_md
Member # 14197

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymie_in_md     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
From the following site: http://www.faqs.org/health/topics/28/Kinesiology.html

quote:
Kinesiology is a series of tests that locate weaknesses in specific muscles that cause imbalances throughout the body. Once the weaknesses are found, specific massage or acupressure techniques are used in an attempt to rebalance what has been revealed by the kinesiology tests. Thus, kinesiology is used bothto asses a problem and as a way to help treat the problem.

Kinesiology is a healing system that proponents believe can help find and correct imbalances in the body before they develop into a disease, and can restore overall balance and harmony. It is used to treat muscle, bone, and joint problems, all types of aches and pains, and correct many areas of imbalance and discomfort.

Since interpretation of the muscle tests is complex, it should only be performed by a licensed health professional trained to look for subtle symptoms which have not yet become a major problem. Kinesiology itself is more of a diagnostic technique and should not be thought of as a cure for any particular problem.

Traditionally, the word "kinesiology" refers simply to the study of muscles and body movement. In 1964, however, American chiropractor George J. Goodheartfounded what has become known as applied kinesiology when he linked easternideas about energy flow in the body with western techniques of muscle testing. Because Goodheart noted that one muscle contracts while another one relaxes, when he was presented with a painful, overly-tight muscle, he would observeand treat the opposite (weaker) muscle to restore balance. At the time, thiswas a novel technique. Further, Goodheart argued that there is a definite connection between muscles, glands, and organs, and that by testing the strength of certain muscles he could uncover the condition of the gland or organ towhich it was related.

Applied kinesiology is based on the idea that the body is an interactive unitof different parts that affect each other. Everything a person does affectsthe body as a whole, so that a problem in one area can cause trouble in another area. According to kinesiology, the muscles eventually register and reflect anything that is wrong with any part of the body, whether physical or mental. Thus, a particular digestive problem might show up in the related musclesof the legs. By testing the strength of certain muscles, a kinesiologist claims to be able to gain access to the body's communication system, and, thus, to read the health status of each of the body's major components.

The manual testing of muscles was used in the late 1940s to evaluate muscle function and strength and to assess the extent of an injury. Applied kinesiology measures whether a muscle is tense or weak and flaccid. Done without instruments, the technique uses only the kinesiologist's fingertip pressure. During the first and longest appointment which lasts about an hour, the kinesiologist conducts a complete consultation, asking about the patient's history andbackground. During the physical exam, the patient sits or lies down as the kinesiologist holds the patient's leg or arm to isolate a particular muscle. The practitioner then touches a point on the body which he believes is relatedto that muscle, and, with quick, gentle, and painless pressure, pushes down on the limb. Patients are asked to resist this pressure, and, if they can't, an imbalance is suspected in the related organ, gland, or body part. This diagnostic technique is based on traditional Chinese medicine's belief that the body has common energy meridians for both organs and muscles. Kinesiologists also claim they can locate muscle weaknesses that stem from a variety of causes such as allergies, mineral and vitamin deficiencies, as well as from problems with the lymph system.

Once the exact cause is determined, the kinesiologist uses his fingertips towork the appropriate corresponding acupressure points in order to rebalance the flow of energy and restore health and recommend a nutrition therapy.

There are no major risks associated with this gentle, noninvasive therapy; itis generally safe for people of all ages and has no side effects.

Read more: http://www.faqs.org/health/topics/28/Kinesiology.html#ixzz0mPiJAlhA

--------------------
Bob

Posts: 2150 | From Maryland | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sutherngrl
Member # 16270

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sutherngrl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lyme Disease is a "clinical" diagnosis and if you present with lyme symptoms and your doctor is a good LLMD, thats how you can get a real diagnosis. His expertise should be enough to make a good clinical diagnosis.
Posts: 4035 | From Mississippi | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymie_in_md
Member # 14197

I agree LLMDs are excellent at clinical diagnosis. This is about the primary physicians who aren't. How would they be graded and if graded poorly, what can be done to improve there grade?

--------------------
Bob

maureen2174
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11471

Icon 1 posted      Profile for maureen2174     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
bob, this is off topic to the post but i was wondering if when you did use the photon therapy to help get you in remission if you did use it with nosodes?

i know we were corresponding at the time that you were doing your treatments.

thanks, maureen

Posts: 871 | From NJ | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sutherngrl
Member # 16270

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sutherngrl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wouldn't go to a primary physician if I suspected LD.

My PCP doesn't even think we have LD in Mississippi. And this is the consensus of most PCPs in most states.

To improve there grade......well first they have to believe the illness actually exist. Then they have to be willing to disregard the IDSA guidelines. Then they have to be willing to get educated. Most of these docs stopped their education the day they graduated from medical school.

Posts: 4035 | From Mississippi | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
greengirl
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 25316

Icon 1 posted      Profile for greengirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks! Sounds very interesting.

I agree with suthern about primaries.

They would get graded on the number of conditions they explore, basically, their differential diagnosis. And, how much weight they put on the tests when there are overwhelming symptoms to the contrary.

Posts: 252 | From New York | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymie_in_md
Member # 14197

Do any LLMDs or practioners use muscle testing as a means of examination? I know Dr. K. does as well as chiropractors and osteopaths. It discovered lyme in me, I'm curious if did for others.

Maureen I did both, I used nosodes when I tested for them and without when the didn't. I had nosodes for borrelia and micoplasma. I didn't have therefor didn't need them for co-infections.

--------------------
Bob

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement