LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Want to avoid pesticides in food? Look here...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Want to avoid pesticides in food? Look here...
sparkle7
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 10397

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sparkle7     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Worst - buy these organic

1. Celery
2. Peaches
3. Strawberries
4. Apples
5. Blueberries
6. Nectarines
7. Bell Peppers
8. Spinach
9. Kale
10. Cherries
11. Potatoes
12. Grapes (Imported)

---

Clean - lowest in pesticides

1. Onions
2. Avocado
3. Sweet Corn
4. Pineapple
5. Mangos
6. Sweet Peas
7. Asparagus
8. Kiwi
9. Cabbage
10. Eggplant
11. Cantaloupe
12. Watermelon
13. Grapefruit
14. Sweet Potato
15. Honeydew
Melon

http://www.foodnews.org/sneak/EWG-shoppers-guide.pdf

Posts: 7772 | From Northeast, again... | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Low pesticides should still be avoided, especially by those who are ill and with liver stress. When possible, buy organic but also be aware of "transitional" produce - using no harsh chemicals but the land has not yet been certified "organic" as that can take several years.

Also be aware that food grown closer to home has better nutrition. And, sometimes, in shipping, even organic foods can be exposed to pesticides in the shipping process. It's important to know where our food has been and what routes it has traveled to our tables.

When possible, support local farmers and farmers' markets. Food is also less expensive when bought directly from the farmer.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sparkle7
Member # 10397

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sparkle7     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You have to be careful with organic because sometimes unscrupulous people resell non-organic food as organic.

It is done... Even at farmer's markets & "respectable" health food stores.

Posts: 7772 | From Northeast, again... | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
It is illegal for non-organic foods to be sold as organic. If that is suspected, authorities should be alerted. It's good to know who one is buying from - and check their credentials. Organic foods must be certified and there is documentation involved.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heleneh
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 21207

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heleneh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When you talk about "transitional" produce does that mean the soil has pesticides in it but is being changed to organic over a period of time because it is no longer being sprayed?
Posts: 140 | From Illinois | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sparkle7
Member # 10397

From a local newspaper -

http://www.thestate.com/2010/03/21/1210004/local-markets-vendors-a-growing.html

excerpt-

By selling at the local markets, the Livingstons can cut out the middle man's profits and give buyers fresher produce. But like most larger farms, they still sell in bulk to people who turn around and sell the produce again.

One of the few drawbacks of the local farmers market explosion is the lack of regulation at those markets.

The Livingston farm, for instance, uses chemicals in its operation. But Jane Livingston says she has seen people buy produce from her, turn around and label it as organic and sell it for twice the price.

---

I've known people who work at health food stores. In on case, someone told me about regular bananas that were artificially ripened with gas were being sold as naturally ripened bananas for extra money.

I'm sure it happens alot. How are you really going to be able to tell? In some cases - yes, it has labels but not always.

I just read something about a lady who planted her own garden to grow organic kale. The next door neighbor had her yard sprayed with Roundup. The pesticide drifted & ruined the lady's organic kale...

In theory, it's a good idea to try to get the best produce but sometimes it's difficult. Knowing the worst & best produce in regards to pesticide can help if you are not close to organic suppliers or if you can't always afford them.

It's just a shame so much of our food is tainted...

Treelady
Member # 23506

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Treelady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jeeeezzzzzz even when you try to buy the right thing you can't count on it being what they say it is. I am really sick of lying being the default position anymore.

--------------------
Treelady

Posts: 39 | From California | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GiGi
Member # 259

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GiGi         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for posting this.

It's hard to find anything that is truly clean. I find it is impossible today. That piece of earth does not exist and the air brings in a new load all the time.

I bought organic fruit that would not rot in the fruit bowl - no matter how long I left it there. It simply shriveled up. I have some organic potatoes left that will not sprout no matter what. I take all that comes in offseason from other countries with a grain of salt.

We always use detoxing agents and will use these for the rest of our lives. That is where I put the money I save by buying the best I can when it is available. I grow some of my own vegetables, but am not even certain that the compost I use is clean, and am not sure that the added soil I bring in is clean.

It has become a very greedy world and I am sad not having done better for my children and grandchildren. They are all allergic to something already. I will concoct a chlorella gummy bear next and put it in their basket!

Posts: 9834 | From Washington State | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blackstone
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9453

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blackstone     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would point everyone towards the organic consumers association (www.organicconsumers.org)- they have good newsletters and a website that points out all the corporate, criminal interests trying to "dilute" what the USDA Organic seal means, and companies that otherwise try to scam the public.

If it was up to myself, and a whole lot of physicians, researchers and other colleagues I've spoken with, there would be farm subsidies for growing quality organic food as opposed to the literal and figurative feces the grain lobbies and agribusiness insist on.

Posts: 690 | From East coast, USA | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement