LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Need advice on Flagyl

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Need advice on Flagyl
Shark
Member # 21376

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shark     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My daughter is going to start Flagyl two days per week. (250 mg 2x a day) She just started IV Rocephin and is also on minocycline. I hear that Flagyl is a tough drug. What experience or advice do you have regarding this drug? Is there any way to get through it without being deathly ill? Thanks much.

Shark

Posts: 32 | From Columbia, Maryland | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
karenl
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 17753

Icon 1 posted      Profile for karenl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was only on flagyl 250 3x day and was very sick for one week. All symptoms have been in the aereas where my problems are, so it could be all die-off reactions.I lowered the dose on day 3 and 4 because of severe headache.

I personally had no psycho problems as other people experience, but you need to be prepared, some people cry all the time.
Headaches, lymph nodes, vibrating, tired, mumps like symptoms, pain in bones.

My son was on 250 2x only and was only a bit tired.

I would be concerned about the three meds together,it is quite a lot.

Posts: 1834 | From US | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TF
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 14183

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TF     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Drink lots of water with fresh squeezed lemons in it. That will cleanse your body of the toxins. That is the detox method my now famous lyme doc told me to use.

He wanted me to eat 4 lemons per day throughout lyme treatment. It worked for me.

I was on flagyl 250 mg 3 times per day. Had a herx at about day 3. Lasted one week. First 3 days were pretty bad, next 4 were half bad. That was it.

Posts: 9931 | From Maryland | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Maradona
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 24552

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Maradona     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Take allot of probiotics duble the amount and drink jogurt everyday.

Start with only 50mg flagyl a day and every day ad 50mg till you reach the full dose.

If you take care the yeast you will be OK and have something on board for yeast nistatin or diflucan.

Posts: 482 | From Nebraska | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WildCondor
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Start with the full dose or else you are not getting proper treatment!!! It can cause side effects like all meds but it is crucial to stay on course of the protocol and let the FLagyl do its job.

The usual dose is 500 mg 3x per day, not 250 mg but it depends on the individual. I was on 500 mg 4x per day to start for 3 months and then when it switched to pulse therapy it was 750 mg 4x per day 4 days on 3 days off combined with other meds. It's a great drug and really made an incredible difference in my treatment and recovery.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
karenl
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 17753

Icon 1 posted      Profile for karenl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
WildCondor,

you are right. But if your liver cannot take more you need to start with less. The die-off can be just too much if you have severe infections. Then you get what the ER calls allergy shock.

Posts: 1834 | From US | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement