LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Yeast or Babesia? How can you tell?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Yeast or Babesia? How can you tell?
jenny76
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18205

Icon 11 posted      Profile for jenny76     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am so confused!

I can't tell if my symptoms are babesia or yeast. I am off abx for a little while to concentrate on getting rid of yeast/candida as I tested positive in my blood and stool for it.

I am doing the anti-candida diet strictly and even got rid of my daily small coffee [Frown] That isn't easy! A few days ago I started Diflucan 100mg and then dropped the dose to 50mg and haven't taken it the past two days because of bad symptoms.

The symptoms did not get really bad until stopping abx a few days back. I was on IV Clinda, Malarone and Art.

The symptoms are: severe brain fog, dizziness, off balance (like rocking boat), vibrations in head, migraine with pain in neck, light headed, heart pounding, exhaustion, strange feelings in the back of my head, etc. Also this strange popping in my ears, hard to explain. These are my everyday symptoms but 1000 times amplified.

Am I doing the wrong thing by giving abx a break and focusing on yeast?? Could this be yeast die off? [confused]

Thanks guys...

--------------------
Never, Never, Never give up!

Posts: 395 | From Connecticut | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Most of that sounds like babesia to me. Esp the rocking boat, dizziness, migraine, light headed, heart pounding, exhaustion.... well... on and on.

Don't do two things at once next time so you will know what is causing what.

Why not take Diflucan while taking babesia meds???

Lyme and Coinfections Symptom List
http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php/topic/1/81386

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jenny76
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18205

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jenny76     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well I guess it's safe to say that this really all did get worse when I started Diflucan. I had been off of abx a couple of days when this started and then I added Diflucan. Downhill from there.

I know I need more babesia treatment but my LLMD's way of thinking is that if you don't get candida under control you will never be able to truly see how far you have come in treatment.

My issue is, my stomach is such a mess I can't handle very many meds at once. I can barely handle one so that is another reason why I went off abx to treat yeast for now.

[Frown]

--------------------

Posts: 395 | From Connecticut | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by jenny76:

I know I need more babesia treatment but my LLMD's way of thinking is that if you don't get candida under control you will never be able to truly see how far you have come in treatment.

I've preached that here for 9 years. When you think treatment is not going well after a year or two in treatment... go after yeast bigtime... then maybe you will see that you are WELL!!!!

Right now may not be the best time to stop meds for babs though... but I'm not smarter than a dr!!!

Sounds like you have die-off too.. making the babs worse.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sammi
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 110

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sammi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree that your symptoms sound like Babesiosis. Does your doctor know these symptoms are worse?
Posts: 4681 | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jenny76
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18205

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jenny76     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lymetoo I have this gut feeling that I need more babs treatment. I had a positive PCR screen for babs a year ago and have not had much babs treatment. My LLMD doesn't think that I need it for a long time but I am still having symptoms of it.

Sammi, yes I told him but he just said that I'm very "toxic" and need a break from all meds for now. I'm very uneasy about this. I don't think babs has been treated effectively.

--------------------

Sammi
Member # 110

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sammi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Babesiosis can be tough to eradicate for some people, and some need to treat it more than once.

How long have you treated Babesiosis? How long does your doctor want you to take a break from meds?

Posts: 4681 | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jenny76
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18205

Sammi I really only treated it for about a total of 2-3 months on and off. 2 weeks on then 2 weeks off then on and off again a few times.

I have not made any progress with treatment as of yet and I don't know if it is the babesia or the yeast/candida that is the problem.

My doctor is thinking about a 2-3 week break now.

I just don't know what to do or think. *sigh*

--------------------

Remember to Smile
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dear Jenny,
I'm sorry to read you're having a very tough time now. You always sound like such a sweetheart and I'm pulling for you!

Since you've only been off abx a short while, it can take 2 months (or more) to get yeast under control. And yeast die-off can be hard. But it's SO worth the battle! I know what it feels like to be in control of my body instead of being a puppet for yeast.

From this and some of your earlier posts, I sense you have significant issues with Candida overgrowth. CONGRATS on going on a strict Candida control diet! I've struggled with Candida for many years, and have at times been ahead of it for months. [Smile]

I can't offer any advice on Babesiosis.

My best reference on Candida came from my 1st acupuncturist who told me, "We can push a truck up a hill to treat you, or you can eliminate the yeast and it will be alot easier." It's "The Candida Control Cookbook: What You Should Know and What You Should Eat to Manage Yeast Infections" by Gail Burton. My copy has been highlighted, loaned to friends who quickly buy their own, and stained with food while I make the great recipes. Many dishes are suitable for entertaining. Terrific now if you have a friend or relative who may cook for you, and other recipes that are real easy say so.

From Gail Burton's book, Candida symptoms that could occur: extreme fatigue, gas or bloating after eating, poor digestion, recurring ear, nose, throat & respiratory infections, skin rashes, muscle & joint pains, insomnia, recurring headaches, dizziness, depression, anxiety, poor memory & concentration, recurring urinary & vaginal infections, thyroid dysfunction, IBS, spastic colon, and allergies to foods, chemicals & mold. [dizzy]

Burton's book has a very helpful chart of problem & permitted foods (5 pgs long). When I've been adhering to the Candida control diet, I feel much better; calm & confident. It's great to walk down a candy aisle and not feel no pull to the chocolate because your body tells you, "This aisle has no healthy food for us." And you walk talk in agreement.

When you've got yeast overgrowth, the yeast is always talkin'. The yeast seems to scream for the simple carb you've been addicted to (high-gluten breads, cookies, ice cream, alcohol, whatever.) Wild food cravings are just the yeast talking. Don't listen! [tsk] Visualize your healthy self scolding those pesky parasites 'til you starve 'em out.

In case you're not familiar with rotation diets, I suggest "Good Food, Good Mood: Treating Your Hidden Allergies" by Gary Null with Dr. Martin Feldman. This book got me into nutrition and opened my eyes to my food allergies. Includes some great recipes in the back like Figgy Cashew Rice and Alfalfa Vegetable Rice Salad. Anywhere he uses bulgur, we can sub brown rice or quinoa.

I'm sure there are numerous more recent books & websites on rotation diets, too.

"The Midlife Miracle Diet: When Your Diet Doesn't Work Anymore" by Adele Puhn, M.S., C.N.S. is great for understanding carb cravings. Puhn provides excellent lists of foods that are low-glycemic, high-fiber and high-quality protein (that we need!) I just use the middle of her book, Pgs 76-116, but open it often. I've bookmarked breakfast, lunch, and dinner pages. This book helps regardless of your age. Ultimately just healthy eating (NOT typical American eating).

One more recommendation is "Potatoes not Prozac: Simple Solutions for Sugar Sensitivity" by Kathleen DesMaisons, PhD in Addictive Nutrition.

The books above are available from libraries and vendors. I've no connection to those authors besides being a fan.

Other ideas to help your stomach: Are you drinking pure Aloe vera gel 2x/day? So soothing. [spinning smile]

Have you tried charcoal capsules when your stomach is upset? Ask about these in your local health food store.

My most effective herbal yeast defense is Pau d'Arco capsules. (I think the tea tastes too yucky.)

Hope this helps! Sincerely,
Smile

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sammi
Member # 110

jenny6, Babesiosis typically needs longer treatment than a couple of months. Four months seems to be the minimum treatment time for many and longer treatment and/or retreatment is not unusual.

Be sure to keep your doctor posted on the severity of your symptoms.

I hope you feel better soon.

jenny76
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18205

Wow thank you SO much Smile [Smile]

That was such a great post with some wonderful ideas!! I definitely plan to stick with the diet although I feel as though I can't eat anything. It's so life changing but I hope it will be worth it.

Since I stopped Diflucan anyway, could this still be yeast die off? Maybe the Diflucan is still in my body and killing those buggers?? Maybe diet is doing it?

Funny thing is, I was misdiagnosed for at least 28-30 yrs and I tested positive for severe Candida at least 3 yrs before I found out this was Lyme so it was there prior to all of these abx. I must be a mess in there. My ND also said she thinks I am dealing with a mold issue on top of it. [Frown]

As for Babesia, I think that needs to be addressed too Sammi. I think I need both but can I do both at once?

I can't tell you how much I appreciate your posts. I feel like giving up [Frown]

--------------------

Remember to Smile
Unregistered

Icon 7 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dear Jenny76 AND Jennie46,
Know that I can get you two mixed up! Funny that you both write yeast questions, and that's the one thing I'm clear on in this Lymie world.

Jenny76, SO glad to help! Shift that mindset and think positive. List all the good things! There's lots you can eat, and we stick to the diet easily in most any restaurant besides Italian.

You CAN eat: [spinning smile]
- For breakfast, oat bran with pecans & cinnamon, or eggs, or plain organic non-fat yogurt with cinnamon and walnuts, or Nature's Path Millet Rice Cereal (flakes don't get soggy!)
- Rice cakes, rice crackers, corn chips, corn tortillas, Ezekiel bread
- Cottage cheese with sunflower seeds or cottage cheese with pecans
- Garlic, garlic, garlic! Keeps the vampires away!
- Corn pasta, quinoa pasta (YUM!)
- Red, white, and sweet potatoes!
- Veggies, yummy veggies! And sesame oil!

Chin up! You have WAY more options than the old jenny76 from 29 yrs ago. [lol]

p.s. - Get a dehumidifier or two running in your basement if you've still got potential for mold in your environment.

[group hug]
Smile

jenny76
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18205

Thanks so much Smile! My issue is, I don't know what is causing these symptoms to go nutso. Yeast or babs, or both. I'm not sure if I can treat babs and yeast at the same time. Doesn't really sound reasonable I guess. If I want to rid myself of yeast I have to stop abx. But then again, why am I so sick now?

It's all so confusing.

--------------------

Haley
Member # 22008

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Haley     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm sure it could be a combination of both yeast and Babs. The symptoms you describe sound like Babs. IMO

If your doctor recommends treating yeast first that probably is the way to go but it sounds like you will also be expreincing Babs symptoms while treating the yeast.

I hope you feel better soon!

Posts: 2232 | From USA | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Personally, I would stay away from ALL white foods until you get this under control.

Babesia can take months upon months to clear... years in my case. So keep pushing that LLMD or find a new one.

You can treat both at the same time .. but you won't make as much progress on the yeast that way.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

jenny76
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18205

Thanks for the responses guys! I do think that I need to push for more babs treatment as I have that feeling that is what I'm dealing with.

I also know that I am toxic and have yeast issues so I guess I have to come up with a plan of attack [Wink]

Thanks again!!

--------------------

lymebytes
Member # 11830

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymebytes   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sounds like Babs. Co-infection "relapse" will happen within a few days of stopping treatment.

But going off abx/babs tx and starting yeast tx... Candida die off can be harsh too.

Another possibility could be medication side effects.

--------------------
www.truthaboutlymedisease.com

Posts: 2003 | From endemic area | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jenny76
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18205

Thanks Lymebytes....I was afraid of that. Unfortunately my symptoms are constantly there and do not leave but they have now become a lot worse. Strange...

Thanks for your input! I know yeast can feel horrible when dying off too. Do you know if doing the anti-yeast diet can cause die off too?

--------------------

Remember to Smile
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, it should cause die-off if since you've had significant yeast overgrowth.

Found this with a quick search:
Candida die-off symptoms & suggestions

jenny76
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18205

I just found this link:

http://www.thecandidadiet.com/candida-die-off.htm

It's actually pretty good and says you can experience die off from the diet as well.

I think mine are a mixture of symptoms but I know that yeast/candida is really making it all worse.

P.S. This diet is NOT easy! LOL! [bonk]

--------------------

lightparfait
Member # 22022

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lightparfait     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If I were YOu, Id go on Dr. K"s lyme cocktail...all coinfections are addressed wit this as well as yeast...so you will be covered...

Best if you get ART tested to see what you still have as a priority to clear...it is easier this way.

Go toSEe Dr.K or someone who he has trained...

Posts: 1009 | From NJ | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Remember to Smile
Unregistered

Icon 14 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jenny76, that's very nice site! Good info and pleasing design. [spinning smile]
Smile

jenny76
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18205

lightparfait,

Thanks so much! I actually did just get ART tested and it came back that my priorities are:
Yeast/Candida, Mold in gut, Biofilms, Leaky gut, and heavy metals. Secondary was Babesia, Bartonella, Lyme and Mycoplasma.

I'm still so confused by these babesia symptoms though. Seems that is what I am experiencing and I don't want to let that go. [Frown]

--------------------

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement