LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Pregnant and recently diagnosed with Lyme

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Pregnant and recently diagnosed with Lyme
dcmama
Member # 25707

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dcmama     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am 6 months pregnant, found a tick a little over two weeks ago, developed EM last weekend and went to OBGYN and ID docs last Monday. Was put on amoxicillin 500mg 3xday for 21 days, but have read that more aggressive treatments are recommended from ILDSA, etc.
Was hoping to hear from some other moms who were in acute stage while pregnant and what treatments you received, outcomes, etc.

All of this is new to me, so really appreciate any and all advice!

Thank you!

Posts: 1 | From Washington DC | Registered: May 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
First, congratulations. Sorry, of course for this complication. The good news is that, with proper treatment and monitoring, your baby should be just fine. You are wise, however, to see out doctors who are better educated in this area as 21 days is not enough treatment at all.

Best of luck to you. I hope you find the best care for you and your baby. Take care.

==================

http://www.lymenet.org/SupportGroups

Find a lyme support group near you

==============

http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php/forum/2

Seeking a Doctor

===============

www.ilads.org

ILADS - International Lyme & Associated Diseases Society

================

www.igenex.com

IGENEX - testing for all tick-borne infections (to be safe, you should be evaluated for the full range, but a good LLMD - Lyme Literate Medical Doctor should assess you in person first and then determine what else to test.)

==================

This may be frightening, so grab a cup of tea and take the "knowledge is power" cloak while you read. Knowledge is power.

www.johndrullelymefund.org/pregnancy_and_lyme_disease.htm

Pregnancy and Lyme - John Drulle, M.D. (December 1990; reprinted 2006.)

==================

http://www.ilads.org/lyme_disease/B_guidelines_12_17_08.pdf

Advanced Topics in Lyme Disease (Diagnostic Hints and Treatment Guidelines for Lyme and Other Tick Borne Illnesses

Dr. Burrascano's Treatment Guidelines (2008) - 37 pages

------------
As important as any supplements, sections regarding self-care:

Go to page 27 for SUPPORTIVE THERAPY & the CERTAIN ABSOLUTE RULES

and also pages 31-32 for advice on a safe, non-aerobic exercise plan and physical rehabilitation.

----------------------
This is included in Burrascano's Guidelines, but you may want to be able to refer to it separately, too:

http://www.lymepa.org/Nutritional_Supplements.pdf

** Nutritional Supplements in Disseminated Lyme Disease **

J.J. Burrascano, Jr., MD (2008) - Four pages

===========================

http://www.lymeinducedautism.com/images/Lymewhat_is_it_part_3,_LIA.pdf

LYME DISEASE Considerations in Diagnosis and Management

Lyme-Autism Connection Conference

June 26, 2008

125 pages - Powerpoint presentation

------------

Chapter 1 from the book "Insights Into Lyme Disease Treatment"

http://www.lymebook.com/steven-harris

--------------

http://www.amazon.com/Insights-Into-Lyme-Disease-Treatment/dp/0982513801/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1272566632&sr=1-1

Insights Into Lyme Disease Treatment: 13 Lyme-Literate Health Care Practitioners Share Their Healing Strategies

Connie Strasheim (Author), Maureen Mcshane M.D. (Foreword), Thirteen Lyme-Literate Doctors (Contributor)

====================

He addresses Autism & Lyme, so you'd want to be sure to see his work. Prevention is key, of course.

http://www.klinghardtneurobiology.com/LymeProtocolOct09.pdf

A Treatment Guide: Lyme and other Chronic Infections

by Dietrich Klinghardt, MD, PhD

October 2009 - 87 pages

Recent on-line RADIO interview:

http://www.klinghardtneurobiology.com/popups/PC1.html

====================

Important information about treatments options and support measures, supplements and self-care:

http://tinyurl.com/6lq3pb (through Amazon)

THE LYME DISEASE SOLUTION (2008)

- by Kenneth B. Singleton , MD; James A. Duke. Ph.D. (Foreword)

You can read more about it here and see customer reviews.

Web site: www.lymedoctor.com

=======================

* This explains WHY you need an ILADS LLMD or ILADS LL ND (naturopathic doctor) to guide your treatment protocol.

www.clinicaladvisor.com/Controversy-continues-to-fuel-the-Lyme-War/article/117160/

CONTROVERSY CONTINUES TO FUEL THE "LYME WAR" - 2007

" . . .To treat Lyme disease for a comparable number of life cycles, treatment would need to last 30 weeks. . . ."

". . . If all cases were detected and treated in the early stages of Lyme disease, the debate over the diagnosis and treatment of late-stage disease would not be an issue, and devastating rheumatologic, neurologic, and cardiac complications could be avoided, . . ."

- full article at link above.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
You can also search past threads here at LymeNet through this link:

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi/ubb/search/search_forum/1

Search Archives
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php/topic/1/29917

Topic: Newbie Learning Help Links 5/21/08

Half-way down page one, see links for:

Tin Cups Pregnancy & Lyme Update 5/24/05

Female Issues

Unplanned Pregnancy

Pregnancy

Pregnancy?

TC Link Pregnancy

Gestational Lyme Borreliosis
-

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Be sure to take a very good PROBIOTIC at times other than with your abx (antibiotic). This helps to prevent a systemic candida (yeast) infection.

However, nystatin may be needed (that may be okay for you now but you'd have to check.) I don't know if Olive Leaf Extract can be used in pregnancy but, if so, that would really help keep candida away.

I sent you a PM with two doctors' names. Either would know about that.

Good luck.
-

peacemama
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 17666

Icon 1 posted      Profile for peacemama     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sending you good thoughts. No, 21 days is not enough. I'll agree there.
Posts: 564 | From Tick Hell | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lightparfait
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 22022

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lightparfait     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just came home from a Dr. K art seminar where he tested a pregnant patient...tested the baby individually as well...in her womb with ART technique. MOm had lyme, baby had mycoplasma. No other co-infections showed up....

He found Freeze dried Garlic...taken 1 cap 3x day...to work up to two caps/3 x day to be a strong protocol for them. The lyme and myco...tested to clear with this.
Also to add microsilica 1 mg. 2 x day in juice...

This is just an example of a type or protocol you could test for to take during pregnancy...

Some people take antibiotics if they test well for them too...it is individual.

But the main thing he said, is to treat during the entire pregnancy...this ensures the best outcome for you and your child. Will help to prevent deeper levels in the autistic spectrum or eliminate autism...must treat.

GEt ART tested...

Posts: 1009 | From NJ | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
venus
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 16991

Icon 1 posted      Profile for venus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I sent you a PM as I live in DC, and would like to get pregnant if I ever get better.

Kathy

--------------------
Severe neurological problems. Probably sick for years. Became chronically sick in Aug 2007. Undiagnosed for another 15 months. Started treatment for lyme and bart Sept. 2008. Improving, but very slowly.

Posts: 515 | From washington dc | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
slcd
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5708

Icon 1 posted      Profile for slcd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had already been sick for about 3 years when I got pregnant, but I was treated with Amoxicillan and Zithromax (alternating) through my entire pregnancy and everything went well. The best news is the studies show that your Lyme feels better during pregnancy than ever! My symptoms were practically nonexistent during my entire pregnancy!
Posts: 415 | From Canton, GA United States | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joyful
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 25620

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joyful   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I also had been sick for many years before getting pregnant. All through my pregnancies I took Rocephine injections and Zithromax and both my kids tested negative for Lyme. Both were positive for a co-infection but with a little treatment were fine.

It is possible to have healthy babies while having Lyme [Smile] I think the most important thing is to find an awesome llmd who can help walk you through these last few months.

--------------------
I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made...
Psalm 139:14
http://confessionsofalymie.wordpress.com/

Posts: 113 | From down South | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Along with PROBIOTICS to help prevent systemic candida (yeast) infection . . . Saccharomyces boulardii lyo can help prevent c. diff. Any good LLMD will know about this and the importance of a full range of probiotics during abx tx (antibiotic treatment).

--------------------

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clostridium_difficile

Clostridium difficile

==================

S. boulardii is a unique probiotic in that it is known to survive gastric acidity, it is not adversely affected or inhibited by antibiotics . . . however, antifungals should be taken hours apart. see note at bottom of post.

I suppose allicin, olive leaf extract and other supplements that have an anti-fungal nature fall into this category, too.

============================

FLORASTOR Saccharomyces boulardii lyo

www.florastor.com/

Q) Is Florastor� like acidophilus?

A) No, Florastor is not really like acidophilus but they are both probiotics. Florastor is non-pathogenic (good) yeast, not a bacterium like acidophilus.

Saccharomyces boulardii lyo has been studied by many researchers over the past 50 years.

Florastor and the capsule are gluten free.

Q) Florastor� has Lactose and I am dairy sensitive, can I still take Florastor�?

A) Yes. There are no milk proteins found in Florastor. However, it does contain lactose monohydrate in a very small amount. Many lactose and dairy sensitive patients have reported good results while taking Florastor. As with any product, be sure to consult your health care professional first.

Be aware that it's to be ingested - don't break the capsule open and mix in water as you don't want it in your lungs.

www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/entrez

PubMed has 251 abstracts for Saccharomyces boulardii

=========================

http://www.ffnmag.com/NH/ASP/strArticleID/553/strSite/FFNSite/articleDisplay.asp

Functional Foods & Nutraceuticals site

How nutrients and neurology influence a body's defences

Excerpt:

Only Saccharomyces boulardii and, to a lesser degree, L. casei rhamnosus (GG) have been shown to protect against C. difficile. . . .
============================

FROM www.kirkmanlabs.com
http://tinyurl.com/qbda4

SACCHAROMYCES BOULARDII

Probiotic, Non-Colonizing Yeast Supplement

Saccharomyces boulardii is a non-pathogenic yeast that is recognized to have probiotic effectiveness used alone and/or in combination with other probiotics to support digestion. It usefulness was discovered by a group of French physicians investigating intestinal issues.

DESCRIPTION/CHARACTERISTICS

Saccharomyces boulardii is considered a non-pathogenic, non-colonizing baker's yeast species, which is very closely related to brewer's yeast also known as S. cervesiae. The S. boulardii, although it is recognized as a yeast, is not related to the Candida species (Candida albicans, tropicalas, etc.), which can cause pathogenic infections in the gastrointestinal and genitourinary tracts.

S. boulardii is a unique probiotic in that it is known to survive gastric acidity, it is not adversely affected or inhibited by antibiotics and does not alter or adversely affect the normal flora in the bowel. For this reason good friendly probiotic organisms (including Lactobacillus and Bifidobacterium) can be taken at the same time as S. boulardii.

For optimal results it is recommended that the capsule be taken between meals, on an empty stomach, with un-chilled water. Each size #3 Vegetable capsule contains 3 billion CFU (colony forming units).

. . . Do not take the S. boulardii supplementation at the same time as any prescription antifungals like Nystatin, Diflucan, Sporonox, etc. Antifungals are recognized to kill S. boulardii and thus should be taken at a different time of the day (separated by 2 to 3 hours) as is recommended by the physician.

FULL DETAILS AT LINK

===================

NUTRITIONAL YEAST also has it's place in prevention of c.diff.

RE: Lactobacillus casei rhamnosus (Lcr35)

Nutritional Yeast flakes contain L. casei rhamnosus - also helpful. Nutritional yeast - bright yellow flakes (or powder) - is often referred to as Brewers' Yeast, however, they are two totally different things.

Nutritional yeast (the yellow powdery stuff) is very good for us. It will not affect candida and is safe to use although because it is high in B-vitamins, it can cause a bit of a flush and should not be taken too late in the day. Starting slow, with a little in water (maybe with a touch of sea salt) is good.

Also from the B-vitamins that naturally occur, it will cause urine to be more yellow in tone.

I mix it in with frozen peas &/or tofu with spices and seasonings.

==============

YOGURTS are not all the same. We know, of course, to never buy the "candied" kinds, or the "invented" brand with supposedly "new" probiotics added just to market a particular brand.

Study all the available brands of yogurts in your neighborhood markets. Mix it up.

Most abx require calcium consumption hours away from taking the medicine. This is good, too, for probiotics - opposite times from meds and antimcirobial herbs, too.

===============

MISO SOUP also has excellent probiotics. Certain other foods do, as well.
-

hopeforhealth
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 23673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hopeforhealth     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have been in treatment for 14 months and became pregnant unexpectedly, Since then I was switched to 500mg of amox 4 times a day. I was also on Zithromax on off totalling 4-5 weeks. I am due in 5 weeks everything is going well though I do still have symptoms, any other questions I would be glad to try and help
Posts: 199 | From Niagara Falls | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement