LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Adrenal fatigue - hypoglycemia

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Adrenal fatigue - hypoglycemia
kday
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 22234

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kday     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lab work back. Was feeling real bad during labwork, and glucose was low. The technician thought I was afraid of needles, because I was breathing heavy, resting my head on my hand, and shaking a bit. I'm not afraid of needles, I just felt sick.

My integrative doc diagnosed me with adrenal fatigue. However, when I took bioidentical cortisol, I felt like it maybe just added more fuel if I were to get a panic attack (and my attacks can be extreme). For that reason I stopped taking it.

I'm pretty sure I can tell when I am hypoglycemic, and I would even tell doctors I get it even though I hadn't had a lab test that showed that.

Just not sure what to do. I just see more consequence than benefit by supporting the adrenals.

Posts: 967 | From A deserted island without internet access | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
First, call your prescribing doctor about this. They should know what to do.

You said "bioidentical cortisol" What is that, exactly? Bovine source?

I do very badly with bovine adrenal supplements. I've tried several times over the years but my body just can't handle it. Many have the same reactions. Some do okay. Some don't. Move on to Plan B.

You might do better with the pharmaceutical, actually. Don't push that aside as low-dose Cortef has help many for whom the herbs were just not substantial enough.

Or, at least at first, you may get more help with herbal supplements for adrenal support. There is not a choice in whether to address this or not. Support is absolutely necessary. Period. That's how very important adrenal support is to lyme treatment. It's nearly impossible to gain remission from lyme if the HPA axis is haywire (Hypoadrenal, Pituitary, Adrenal triangle of communication and shared work).

However, there are many ways to address this. Your doctor (ND?) can help you and the links below also detail things you can do.

"Rest Hygiene" (similar to "Sleep Hygiene") and other self-care techniques such as Tai Chi, meditation, etc., are also very helpful to the adrenal system - just as important as diet and supplements.

Counseling to explore a better communication style or how to shift thought processing can also be enormously helpful. A LL counselor is best, of course. Biofeedback or Neurofeedback is also a fabulous tool to learn how to control breathing, etc.

If adrenal function is weak, hypoglycemia is usually a result. Be sure to eat small, frequent meals of whole foods (low to moderate on glycemix index), nothing processed (as those are higher on glycemic scale and can drop you like a rock).

A lab test to show hypoglycemia would be the same as a diabetic test, the basic blood glucose test. At first. There could be others done from there but it's likely not necessary. This can probably be controlled with diet and adrenal support.

Still, it's good for everyone to be checked for diabetes (and that would show hypo if that's a problem at that point in time). Reactive hypoglycemia may not show.

You can request a blood glucose meter. Just google: "free blood sugar test kit" - they'll give you just a few strips but you'll have to buy the rest on your own. Not cheap. More explained here:

==================

http://www.prohealth.com/ME-CFS/library/showArticle.cfm?libid=14383&B1=EM031109C

http://tinyurl.com/detwtt

Underactive Adrenal Gland - Stresses and Problems with the Body's 'Gear Box' - by Dr. Sarah Myhill, MD

=======================

Many libraries carry this book and you can read 95 customer reviews here (average 4.5 star out of 5) AND see inside the book:

www.amazon.com/Adrenal-Fatigue-Century-Stress-Syndrome/dp/1890572152/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1263516913&sr=8-1

Adrenal Fatigue: The 21st Century Stress Syndrome

~ James L. Wilson, ND, DC, PhD, Johnathan V. Wright, MD

About $10. And qualifies for free shipping with a total $25. Purchase at Amazon

==================

Specifically for lyme patients, great information here about treatments options and support measures, including those to help adrenal/endocrine function:

http://tinyurl.com/6lq3pb (through Amazon)

THE LYME DISEASE SOLUTION (2008)

- by Kenneth B. Singleton , MD; James A. Duke. Ph.D. (Foreword)

You can read more about it here and see customer reviews.

Web site: www.lymedoctor.com
-

[ 05-03-2010, 03:32 PM: Message edited by: Keebler ]

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ping
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 6974

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ping     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
kday, let's try something simpler that benefits your whole body...Electrolytes. I had very noticeable improvements in my entire body by this one, simple support.

The more reasonably priced one that I like is Morin Labs, Selectrolytes. Go to the website call the toll-free number at the bottom of the page and order 2 months worth (2, 16.9 oz plastic bottles), pay over the phone w/debit or credit card. The total should be $50, total. Don't pay through website, as Paypal can't calculate weight and you will overpay.

I mix about 1.5 cap fulls, in 6-8oz milk (any kind, but I'd avoid soy) with just a touch of pure cane sugar. Stir and sip and I do mean "sip", don't "drink". Take at least 15 minutes to sip it all. I use it once a day. If you use it more than that, then, of course, the 2 bottles will last about a month. Also, try to find very watery fruits in season at the stores right now and nibble on them throughout the day; which really helps hydration. (Here it's watermelon time!)

Know it's hard to believe, but dehydration might be a large part of your problem and drinking lots of water will not help you, in fact, I'm in agreement with others that it can often leach minerals from you. You should start feeling somewhat better within a week, but after a month, should notice a real difference. It won't cure all your problems, but will help and it's generally much cheaper than so many of the other things people are doing on this site and is essential to your health.

After 5 years of abx tx for TBD's, going into remission and now over 3 years off tx, I wish I had employed electrolytes first, then added other things. If you're on tetracycline derivatives, you'll have to avoid dosing around the same time.

Hope this helps. All you can do is give it a whirl and find out.

--------------------
ping
"We are more than containers for Lyme"

Posts: 1302 | From Back in TX again | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
TURMERIC/CURCUMIN
-----------------------

http://www.tillotsoninstitute.com/important-herbs/turmeric-root-curcuma-longa.html

TURMERIC ROOT (Curcuma longa)

WHAT IT DOES: Turmeric root is bitter in taste and warming in action. It strongly reduces inflammation and mucus in all parts of the body, protects the liver, lungs and intestines . . . .

SAFETY ISSUES: Due to mucin-reducing effects, do not use the concentrated extract (curcumin) or oil in high doses, especially if you have bile duct obstruction, gall stones, or stomach ulcers. Use turmeric as a spice freely.

STARTING DOSAGE: 
* Crude powder: 500 mg two to three times per day.

. . . .

- full article at link above. From ``The One Earth Herbal Sourcebook'' (Tilltoson, et.al.)

===================

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/entrez

PubMed Search:

Turmeric - 1517 abstracts

Curcumin - 3176 abstracts

Curcumin, pain - 25 abstracts

Curcumin, depression - 19 abstracts

Curcumin, anxiety - 5 abstracts

Curcumin, diabetes - 113 abstracts

Curcumin, inflammation - 291 abstracts

Curcumin, adrenal - 18 abstracts

Curcumin, cardiac - 63 abstract

==================

From Vitamin Research Products:

http://www.vrp.com/ArticlesSearch.aspx?k=Curcumin

Search results for Curcumin - 46 Articles Found

one of those:

http://tinyurl.com/y8bd9k2

Curcumin Prevents Some Stress-Related Changes

Excerpts:

A recently published study investigated the effects of curcumin, a constituent of the botanical turmeric, on changes in cognition and memory caused by stress. . . .

In this new study, researchers investigated the effect of curcumin supplementation on stress-induced learning defects in mice. . . .

The results of the study showed that curcumin reversed memory deficits in a dose dependent manner, meaning increasing dosages of curcumin provided increasingly improved memory in the mice.

In addition, curcumin reversed the stress-induced increase in the levels of serum corticosterone, the primary hormone secreted during the stress response.

The researchers also found that the effectiveness of curcumin was similar to the effects of a tri-cyclic antidepressant.

. . . inhibited changes due to corticosterone-induced toxicity including preserving nerve cell connections, and inhibiting the corticosterone-induced activation of the enzyme calcium/calmodulin kinase II and stimulated glutamate receptor expression, which play a role in neurotransmitter secretion and certain kinds of memory and learning.

The researchers concluded, ``Thus, curcumin may be an effective therapeutic for learning and memory disturbances as was seen within these stress models, and

its neuroprotective effect was mediated in part by normalizing the corticosterone response, resulting in down-regulating of the phosphorylated calcium/calmodulin kinase II and glutamate receptor levels.''
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
elley0531
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9434

Icon 1 posted      Profile for elley0531     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have Addison's, and before I was officially diagnosed I tried taking bovine and also porcine adrenal hormones and my entire body rejected it. I was anxious, jittery, like I popped a ton of sudafed or something.

I take hydrocortisone now for my condition and never have that reaction.

That being said, even though I need the hydro, other things I do keep me functional without my adrenals. I take B vitamins daily, cordyceps, gotu kola (helps the anxiety and startle reflex as well as blood circulation), Vit C, and I use tumeric in tons of my cooking. Also I take green vibrance everday to help keep my organs clean while on abx (biaxin and plaquenil) for Lyme.

The things that helped me possibly more than anything though are researching and reading everything I could about adrenals and their function, their diseases, and most of all ways to reduce stress and deal with life better.

Even now it would be tough for me to not be in an almost constant state of panic if it weren't for the cognitive behavioral therapy I am doing as well as meditation (especially breath work) and light exercise (walking, stretching).

Posts: 594 | From NJ/NY | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daisyrlb
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 15686

Icon 1 posted      Profile for daisyrlb     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There is "something" we can do to help stimulate the adrenals naturally. This is going to sound weird, and last year, I would have thought it was "bologna". A face to face illustration would be better, hmmm, will do my best to describe.

"Massage" your belly about 1 inch above your belly button and about 4 inches apart.

You can use one hand. So if you're right handed--separate your thumb and fingers like you're going to pick up something. Place your thumb to the right of the belly button (one inch up from belly button) and your four fingers to the left of the belly button so that your thumb and fingers are about 4 inches apart.

Massage (almost like you're tickling yourself) with your thumb on your right side and mostly the underside of the middle finger on the left side. Do this for about 30 seconds daily.

Or you can do this using both hands. Put your fingers, palm side down, in the correct position (1 inch above belly button, 2 inches on either side of the belly button) and mostly using the underside of the middle fingers massage the area.

You don't have to push real hard. Don't push in a way that it hurts. Use a circular motion.

(Is that clear as mud?! [Eek!] Maybe there is something on YouTube.)

Do I need to add a disclaimer? Do not take this as medical advice, this is just one more thing I've learned along this journey ... [Smile]

PS: I learned this from one of the doctors at the Hansa Center.

Posts: 2188 | From Oklahoma | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement