LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Women, what would you do?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Women, what would you do?
lyme in Putnam
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 11561

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lyme in Putnam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you are two weeks late with your monthly cycle, the stress keeping it away, how can you

minimize symptoms when you feel like you can only convince yourself of the negative and

believe it. On ocd meds, which don't even touch the thoughts. Just came from iv, on treatment

since January. Any thing happen like this to them and how to get over these feelings? Thanks.

--------------------
He took u to it, He'll you through

Posts: 2837 | From NE. | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sutherngrl
Member # 16270

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sutherngrl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not exactly sure what you are asking???

2 weeks late.........I skip months at a time and my hormones say everything is normal. Its the lyme!

As far as keeping the stress away. I have to find simple, enjoyable things to do to take my mind off of LD. Not an easy task thats for sure, since its with you 24/7; but our minds have to have at least a few moments here and there to not think about illness.

Listen to music, read if you can focus enough, watch a movie. I grow a few plants and tend to those everyday. Clean out my closet, take a short walk, do a simple project.

It is very easy to think the negative thoughts. I do it all the time, but then I immediately try to start doing something to take my mind off of it.

I think many lymies "ruminate". It feels OCD to me, but its the lyme. I take Xanax.....it helps relax me and helps to calm those thoughts.

Posts: 4035 | From Mississippi | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Remember to Smile
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not a healthcare professional, just a woman giving her 2 cents. I understand how we can "make ourselves late" due to stress. [Frown]

Sutherngrl gave some good suggestions.

If you're up to it and normally enjoy these things, ride a bike or swim leisurely at an indoor pool (if that's available in your community). Gentle exercise can get things "unstuck." [Big Grin]

If more low-key movement is what you can manage now, try side stretches and reaching for toes while listening to Mozart or other music that soothes you...

For a psychological pick-me-up in pretty May weather, just walk around your yard. Sniff a few blooms. Look for robins' nests. Try stretching to pick up a few sticks or a stray dandelion tuft. I went out this morning and THRILLED at how "regular me" it felt to putz in my yard. Pulled some small weeds, but no tugging on oak seedlings!

If you don't have a quiet little piece of property, find a nearby park. Sit outdoors and just be. Listen to the birds & bees humming and know you're part of the Universal Life Force. Breathe with it...

To get at hormones, trying hanging around a bunch of women! We regulate each other. [group hug]
Maybe visit with sisters, aunts, female neighbors? And/or go anonymously to a cafe or health food deli frequented by many women. Plop yourself down with a lite book about women. A novel set in the Caribbean with a female heroine, maybe?

Look for these books from your library system:
The classic, When I Am an Old Woman I Shall Wear Purple: An Anthology of Short Stories and Poetry edited by Sandra Martz and
The Women We Become: Myths, Folktales, and Stories about Growing Older by Ann G. Thomas.
Both are enjoyable, inspirational, and mentally stimulating, in good way. They get my mind delving into positive aspects of womanhood.

Best wishes for an easy visit from Flo this week. [Wink]
Smile

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
17hens
Member # 23747

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 17hens     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a friend in counceling for OCD who shared something her counselor is teaching her.

"Talk to yourself and don't listen to your self talk."

I thought that was pretty good. In other words, take control of the conversation and make it positive. It takes time. I better start now [Smile]

Maybe you can consider it a blessing that you haven't had to deal with your period on top of everything else. When you deal with TBI, your body will regain control of your cycle again.

[ 05-06-2010, 07:14 PM: Message edited by: 17hens ]

--------------------
"My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever." Psalms 73:26

bit 4/09, diagnosed 1/10

Posts: 3043 | From PA | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sutherngrl
Member # 16270

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sutherngrl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm liking this thread a lot so far!

Keep it coming women!

Posts: 4035 | From Mississippi | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sixgoofykids   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was a non-believer but since it was FREE I tried it. EFT or "tapping". I thought, "What do I have to lose?" It helped me tons with several issues that I thought of non-stop.

http://www.emofree.com/

--------------------
sixgoofykids.blogspot.com

Posts: 13449 | From Ohio | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joyful
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 25620

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joyful   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm just gonna handle the stress part of the question (I went YEARS without a regular period).

For me personally I meditate on scripture and pray a lot. I've had to find my security and peace in the Lord...because honestly I get freaked out way to easy and the rest of life doesn't really offer peace.

I also listen to either worship music or uplifting music (try Tyrone Wells for some feel good music [Smile] .

I just read the book "Fearless" by Max Lucado and it was AWESOME.

Maybe a massage? Those always relax me [Smile]

So sorry...and sending you lots of HUGS.

--------------------
I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made...
Psalm 139:14
http://confessionsofalymie.wordpress.com/

Posts: 113 | From down South | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymebytes
Member # 11830

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymebytes   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You can skip a few months and doesn't mean much according to my gyn.

When I was hit with LD like being hit by a train, I missed 2 periods and was worried, but things eventually returned to normal.

Stress can induce anything even early death if we aren't careful. I agree w/the post above mine. I would also meditate on bible scripture because it calms and brings me peace.

But for you that could be anything you can focus/meditate on that calms and brings you peace.

Lyme can induce early menopause I have heard but you wouldn't know that until after a year of missed periods.

See your ob/gyn if you are concerned to put your mind at rest.

--------------------
www.truthaboutlymedisease.com

Posts: 2003 | From endemic area | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
massman
Unregistered

6 goofy - G-R-E-A-T ! [woohoo]

Perhaps now people will listen to YOU recommending this great tool !

Free, simple and easy - EFT [Cool]

lymebytes
Member # 11830

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymebytes   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Six - Massman - I was reading some on EFT...do you do it to yourself or is it better for someone else to do. I don't know much about it but am going to study it.

--------------------
www.truthaboutlymedisease.com

Posts: 2003 | From endemic area | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sutherngrl
Member # 16270

Hey Massman, I actually printed off the free manual! I haven't started trying it yet, but plan to in the very near future.

Honestly it seems way out of the box for me; but since I'm a little out of the box, I am willing to give it a try. Even if it seems a little weirdish for my taste.

Tapping body parts just seems a little ridiculous to me. But.......it sure can't hurt anything.

Dawn in VA
Member # 9693

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dawn in VA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm on the EFT train, too! It even helps with my asthma.

--------------------
(The ole disclaimer: I'm not a doctor.)

Posts: 1349 | From VA | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sixgoofykids   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I figured tapping my fingers on myself had no harm but looking ridiculous if anyone saw me. [Smile] I just followed the manual and did it myself .... alone so no one could see I flipped my lid, LOL!

--------------------
sixgoofykids.blogspot.com

Posts: 13449 | From Ohio | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
massman
Unregistered

You can do it to yourself for sure. I have found that I can feel if the phrase I say really hits the nail on the head or doesn't. If not I can change the phrase until it is really close to exactly how I feel.

It is not tapping on body parts. It is tapping on meridian points. Those points are related to organs + functions of the body. From Chinese Medicine.

Remember to Smile
Unregistered

Hi, Lyme in Putnam and sutherngirl,
Here's another idea:

Get a book on Feng Shui ("FUNG-schway") and delve into that. Can be a good place to apply OCD tendencies, and it's amazing what positive changes can come from simply moving a piece of art from one wall to another.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement