LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Please Help 5 year old bit by deer tick- allergic to amoxy.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Please Help 5 year old bit by deer tick- allergic to amoxy.
maureen2174
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11471

Icon 1 posted      Profile for maureen2174     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
what can i do for him immediately? he is allergic to amoxy and i am freaking out. going to try to get him to urgent care. i saved the tick- where do i send it?

thanks, maureen

Posts: 871 | From NJ | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
17hens
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 23747

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 17hens     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://www.igenex.com/files/ticktest.pdf

--------------------
"My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever." Psalms 73:26

bit 4/09, diagnosed 1/10

Posts: 3043 | From PA | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
maureen2174
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11471

Icon 1 posted      Profile for maureen2174     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
was able to get 100 mg. 1x a day for 6 days of zithromax. is this right dosage?

i realize i may need to get more, but is this right dosage? how long should he be on it?

thanks, maureen

Posts: 871 | From NJ | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hoosiers51
Member # 15759

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hoosiers51     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not sure on the dosage of the Zithromax, but I am pretty sure children can take either Ceftin or Omnicef.

So if you are willing to use 2 antibiotics at once, you could add the Ceftin to the Zithromax. I'm not a doctor though!

He may be allergic to Ceftin though if he is to Amox. They aren't the same class (as I'm sure you know), but they are similar. Just depends on the person.

Posts: 4590 | From Midwest | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymebytes
Member # 11830

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymebytes   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You may find that urgent care may not be as worried as you are. They may look for a bullseye rash and if not seen they may do a "wait and see approach" and/or treat with a short course of Doxycycline..IF they even will do that. Some mainstream Md's believe that ONE doxy is enough to prevent Lyme.

Make an appt w/an LLMd is your best bet for appropriate treatment.

Having the tick tested at Igenex takes time, a couple of weeks, but it will tell you if the tick is even infected with anything and what infections he may have acquired.

Of course sooner the treatment starts the better and even a short course of Doxy is better than none until you can get into an LLMd.

There is a 50/50 chance the tick carries LD and/or co-infections (I strongly urge you to have the tick tested for Lyme and all co-infections that Igenex offers) Mainstream Md's will tell you infected tick rate is much lower like a 10% chance, they are wrong.

--------------------
www.truthaboutlymedisease.com

Posts: 2003 | From endemic area | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ticksickfamily
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 22786

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ticksickfamily     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A child under 8 years old cannot usually be given doxycycline due to side-effects on bone and teeth.
A better option would be a cephalosporin drug.
You need to take advice from an experienced LLMD

Posts: 174 | From UK | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
maureen2174
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11471

i realize the urgent care would not be concerned about this but it was my only option. it was nighttime and my llmd is closed until monday so i didn't want to wait three days.

so i can't talk to the llmd until monday.

right now i just have the zithromax which i had to beg for from urgent care, as you all would expect.

i asked for ceftin, but she said they use zithromax.

the only other thing i could do is call his pediatrician (who we never really see) and see if we can get him in today and try to get a script for ceftin.

he is not allergic to ceftin, even though he is allergic to penicillan, thankfully.

yes, i am getting the tick tested. going to call igenex today.

thanks, maureen

maureen2174
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11471

ok, just called pediatrician's office and spoke to the nurse there and their policy is they will only give abx 6 weeks after tick bite- that is it- WTH????? so forget the ceftin... i have no way of getting it today.

does anyone know if the 100 mg. of zithro will be enough for him.... i am freaking out!!!

ticksickfamily
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 22786

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ticksickfamily     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ive sent you a PM
Posts: 174 | From UK | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
17hens
Member # 23747

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 17hens     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i'm sorry you're not getting responses to your question. i would help you if i knew the answer.

--------------------
"My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever." Psalms 73:26

bit 4/09, diagnosed 1/10

Posts: 3043 | From PA | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sixgoofykids   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think Ceftin would be better, too, but I also think that zith should hold him over till Monday. I mean, there's no way to know for sure either way.

My son got bitten a couple years ago. I gave him amoxy. He was 18 at the time .... a couple months later, I found the amoxy in my refrigerator in the basement, he never took more than a few pills. He seems to be okay, so don't assume he'll get as sick as you just because he got bitten. On the other hand, give him the zith!!

--------------------
sixgoofykids.blogspot.com

Posts: 13449 | From Ohio | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
treepatrol
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 4117

Icon 1 posted      Profile for treepatrol     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Amoxy reaction might have been a herxiemer reaction?

--------------------
Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.
Remember Iam not a Doctor Just someone struggling like you with Tick Borne Diseases.

Newbie Links

Posts: 10564 | From PA Where the Creeks are Red | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wtl
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19883

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wtl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Burranscan guide says 250-500mg a day for zithromax (page 18 of his 2008 guide).
Posts: 822 | From midwest | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
maureen2174
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11471

no, the amoxy reaction was when he was 2 and it was definitely an allergic reaction- hives.

i was able to get into pediatrician. he wrote me a script for 21 days of omnicef. but then i called him after the appointment and he called in 21 days of ceftin. i figured ceftin was better. waiting to pick it up. will notify llmd on monday of this and see what she thinks, although i did get in contact with her office today and they acted a little strange. said to clean bite and wait to see what happens....and yes, she is an llmd. however, this was not her talking a girl at the desk.

so, now i have a script for 21 days of ceftin i am waiting on, a script for 21 days of omnicef (i guess i could use after ceftin if i have to) and the zith. not sure if i should use the zith with either of those meds though.

the tick has to get overnighted on monday, otherwise, it would sit at igenex over the weekend. they said 10 bus. days to get results and they are 90% accurate.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement