LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » swollen knee

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: swollen knee
wealdsteve
Member # 25281

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wealdsteve     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
does anyone else suffer from this, i have been on doxy for 12 weeks now and last night my left knee started swelling.It is something i have had on and off for over twenty years but not this bad. Hopefully it is a good sign that something is working. Using ice packs at the moment as walking is impossible.
Posts: 65 | From Sussex UK | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BorreliaBrain
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7603

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BorreliaBrain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes! This can be a real sign of Lyme. In fact, in the 70s, before the disease was identified in Lyme, CT, there was a condition known as "Montauk Knee" on Long Island because so many people in Montauk, Long Island, were walking around with swollen knees. Dr. B from New York thinks this Montauk Knee condition was really Lyme..

I got bit by many ticks as a girl on Fire Island in the 70s, and I used to get big swollen knees. I was told it was 'water on the knee' and given a brace. I remember it very well because I used it as an excuse to get out of gym class. [lol]

Anyway, I hadn't had a swollen knee in years, but when they put me on IV doxy, my knee blew up like a balloon. So there ya go, doxy seems to really hit them...

However, I'm not a doctor but I believe you can get swollen knees from other causes as well, so if it doesn't go down in a few days it might be prudent to have a doc check it???

Anyway, just wanted to share that. I thought the swollen knee thing was a real important clue that I really did have Lyme... battle of swollen knee lol...

Posts: 194 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
canefan17
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 22149

Icon 1 posted      Profile for canefan17     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Turmeric
Posts: 5394 | From Houston, Tx | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would say that is a "good" herx! Keep on going.. you are on the right track!

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96223 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wealdsteve
Member # 25281

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wealdsteve     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Borreliabrain thanks for that, found the stuff on montauk very interesting. Especially the biological weapon artical i found. maybe thats why lyme is so hushed up.

Had to but crutches today for the first time

thanks lymetoo for the encouragment.

Posts: 65 | From Sussex UK | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RESOLVED.
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 24991

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RESOLVED.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I too had the knee issues while on Doxy. Off Doxy and still use a cane. Whatever you do, don't let anyone inject steroids into them. Bad news. I wish you the best.
Posts: 246 | From south florida | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wealdsteve
Member # 25281

my knee has been swollen for three days now, is it likely to go down on its own after a while or do i need to go and get it drained ??

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement