LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Alinia Herx? Need some feedback from Alinia users.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Alinia Herx? Need some feedback from Alinia users.
Myco
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9536

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Myco     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have been treating Lyme since 2006. Was doing well on Doxy and Zith combo, then added Rifampin for 5 months and felt fairly well. Cognitive improvement was amazing.

I then started Bicillin shots (2.4ml weekly) and after about a month and a half started having more gas with carbs, and was waking up with burning abdominal pain below the belly and gas. Stopped Bicillin due to this problem after 2 1/2 months. Lower abdominal pain continued.

Did metametrix GI profile and they found Strongoloides parasite. Treated that with Ivermectin for a few weeks and went on Doxy because I still had a high RMSF titer. Gas and abdominal pain a little better but still there.

GI Dr. thought I had bacterial overgrowth of small intestine (SIBO) because I had this before when I first got lyme (belly swelled with gas). So I went on Rifaximin (1200mg daily) and Alinia (1000mg daily). Have been on this for about 9 days now and plan on doing it for 2-3 weeks. Gas is improved but still have the abdominal pain that comes and goes (feels like fluid in the lower belly) waking me at 5:30 am on the dot every morning.

Also, since starting the Alinia (started this about 4 days after the Xifaxin) I have developed flu like symptoms: sore throat that comes and goes, coughing up some brown phlegm, sensitive glands in neck and under arms, bad nausea that comes and goes, feeling like I have a fever but don't have one, depression and exhaustion, cognitively cloudy.

Anyone getting this with Alinia? I heard about the yellow pee (i have that) but have not heard anyone complaining of flu like herx. Feels like I have a virus. Really strange. Fine one minute, dying the next.

Anyone?

Also, how long were you all on Alinia?

Posts: 770 | From USA | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
feelfit
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 12770

Icon 1 posted      Profile for feelfit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was on Alinia 2 x day for a month. yellow pee. I do have abdominal gas that manifests as burping....the pressure in my chest and abdomen is extreme and affects my breathing and heart rate....

have also recently had tender under arm glands/lymph nodes, nausea (off and on)..and feverish without increased temp.

and yes to the dying one moment and then sort of ok the next....all that said

can't really pinpoint whether or not alinia set this off or not....except for the yellow pee [Wink]

Posts: 3975 | From usa | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Myco
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9536

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Myco     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Happy to hear I am not the only one like this. Any others out there.? Seems the LLMD's thought this was the new wonder drug but I have yet to see any positive feedback from all the old posts I read. Seems that no one has any idea whether it really treats Babs or not.
Posts: 770 | From USA | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Myco
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9536

No one else on Alinia here?
GiGi
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 259

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GiGi         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dr.K. puts some people on Alinia for 3 months every other day (2x500mg) addressing parasites incl. Babesia. Colonics are needed.

Apparemtly, the 21 day treatment is way too short.
Parasites need to be treated through several 21 day life cycles in order to get at the offspring.

Take care.

Posts: 9834 | From Washington State | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Michael_Venice
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 17254

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michael_Venice     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been on Alinia for over a year. When I was first taking it, it made me feel ill. Not entirely the same way as you, but it was rough on me for a while.

Now, I take it, and of all the things I take (antibiotics, etc)..it seems to bother me the least.

Posts: 322 | From Venice, CA | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Myco
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9536

Anyone else on Alinia and have a herx from hell. Day 10 and still bad with headache, spaciness, very bad abdominal pain that comes and goes. Much worse at night when I am trying to sleep!
Haley
Member # 22008

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Haley     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gosh Myco. I'm sorry that you are having a rough time.

I still have a bottle sitting on my counter. I guess I've been scared to take it because my one doctor told me "that stuff'l kill ya." He said that he didn't think I would be able to handle it.

The most I've heard about side effects from people is diarreah and that is why they end up stopping.

wow Micheal - one year. The bottle says don't take it for more than 3 days!

Posts: 2232 | From USA | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GiGi
Member # 259

You need to pay attention to what Alinia can unleash: Neurotoxins, toxic heavy metals, viral flairups. Alinia works mainly on parasites and parasites are holding toxic metals in their coat. So that is part of the die-off. You need to be sure to clear the colon quickly, colonics, and without binders you are setting toxins into circulation and redistribution.

There is nothing to be scared about. You only need to be prepared to catch the toxins that are being released and help them out of the body.

Take care.

Posts: 9834 | From Washington State | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Haley
Member # 22008

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Haley     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gigi,

You have probably posted this several times but what have you used for binders? I know that you are an expert on this.

Thanks

Posts: 2232 | From USA | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Myco
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9536

I have cholestyramine but it can make me constipated. My GI Dr. told me to take Miralax until I get diarrhea but that stuff does nothing for me.

I guess I am worried I have some kind of fluid leaking into my abdomen but I suppose I would have constant pain then. All I know is that this all started with Bicillin shots. When I got the shot I would immediately feel a strange burning pain in my abdomen (colicky, gas like). Seems strange it was so sudden like that. Had a negative Ab CT scan in January but I continue to wake with pain down there and it comes and goes during the day, but much worse when I sleep.

I will see my GI Dr tomorrow to make sure there is no obstruction or fluid (bowel movements are normal and formed well after the Rifaxin, so it did something) and then after I get the ok I will try a series of colonics.

f13girl
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 23844

Icon 1 posted      Profile for f13girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just got back my stool report from naturopath/metametrix-and I test positive for parasites and H. Plyori ( I don' thave any history of gut or stomach issues ). I am though in neuro hell with too many serious neurlogical symptoms to list. I just saw dr. H last week-- did not have this data-
I also have MCS and just a few weeks of my first pharmecuticals in November ( flagyl 8 days and 3 weeks diflucan--long story- dr. mcandless yeast cleanse)and some herbal tea have thrown me into horrific downward spiral where I"m in agon 7x24- 3/4 my body numb, jerking , twitching, total insomnia, muscle weaknesss, neuropathy in brain neck etc etc etc

Do most docs treat for parasites before lyme?

If you have heavy metals is it useless treating for parasites first?

Does it makes sense to treat parasites before lyme or are parasites etc just one more opportunitistic infection in a body with immune/autoimmune tendencies?

Posts: 200 | From New England | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GiGi
Member # 259

Chlorella, and products containing chlorella.
I posted the nutritional benefit of chlorella just a few days ago -- it is astounding
Betasitosterol
Chitosan
Pectin
Potatoes and potato chips (I heard that statins are made from potatoes)
Any fibers that are not constipating
Activated charcoal - only short-term because it pulls out the good minerals
Green clay - not too often because it pulls out good minerals also

Haley, I am not an expert, I am still learning something new every day. This is a neverending school for doctors and patients.

Dr. K. pays attention to parasites early because they deplete you and hold toxins in their coat.

You will find plenty of info here:
http://www.neuraltherapy.com/LymeProtocolOct09.pdf
including what to pay attention to re toothpaste

Make sure you are not allergic wheat and metals and fungi - check allergie immun thread. Any downward spiral should ring a bell that you are mobilizing material that your body is unable to recognize = you are allergic to it.

I wish I had known about Allergie Immun 12 years ago when I first started this whole killing and detoxing spree.

Your doctor should determine priority for treatment. Dr. K. treats everything alongside each other. His protocol is getting more simple every time I listen to him.

Take care.

sparkle7
Member # 10397

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sparkle7     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I never took Alinia but I've taken herbs to kill parasites. It can make you very sick - flu like symptoms, depression, etc. I've seen it happen to other people who don't have Lyme, as well. Parasites are no joke...

Seems like you are on the right track. Maybe decease dosage if it gets to be too much? Like GiGi says - you need to take something to absorb the toxins.

Killing parasites is hard work. It's better to get rid of them than keep them, though. It takes time. It's a process.

Posts: 7772 | From Northeast, again... | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Myco
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9536

Yes, but the pain below my belly started with Bicillin shots (about a month in). Whenever I got the shot I would get a slight burning pain in my abdomen and gas. Then I began to wake up with that same burning pain every night with sweats and nausea. You know that strange feeling you get in your lower abdomen when you take a strong antibiotic? It's like that but worse and it comes and goes now with food.

The GI guy suspected C Diff but no diarrhea and negative stool test. Alinia and Xifaxin were prescribed for parasites and also if there were any c diff it would wipe it out. But did not work. My stools are now very well formed and it looks like I am absorbing my food, but my lower belly still burns and wakes me up with sweating, nausea, and now I have a sore throat and my glands are sensitive.

Talked to LLMD on phone and they added Zithromax in case I have some other infection. Having some lunch and still getting the pain with food. Appointment with GI guy in a few hours. I was finally working out again and feeling good, now this!

Can't beat this!

sparkle7
Member # 10397

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sparkle7     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe you are having a bad side effect reaction to the bicillin? Or it could be a stomach virus or the flu?

I don't know - just a guess...

Posts: 7772 | From Northeast, again... | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pamyla
Member # 8575

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pamyla     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi, I just started on Alinia last week - so far only up to my 2nd dose, but each time I've taken it I've woken up with chills, a feverish feeling, and also feel kind of spacey. I'm glad someone else mentioned the yellow pee, cause I'm definitely noticing that! I also feel thirsty, tired, have pain in my hips, and have had some stomach upset too.
It's interesting you mention the sore throat because the last few days I've felt the start of one, but just assumed it was allergy related, now I'm not sure. Looking at the side effects, I see sore throats is listed...
I hope this stuff gets easier to handle. My doctor has recommended coffee enemas in addition, but I haven't started them yet.
Pam

Posts: 60 | From Northern Va | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement