LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » What Multi-Vitamins do you use?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: What Multi-Vitamins do you use?
bcb1200
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 25745

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bcb1200     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi:

What multi-vitamins do people use? I am taking 1-a-day mens health (have been for yearS) along with Nature's Made Super B Complex.

Burrascano says LifePak for males under 40. I haven't found this but did find LifePak Nano which is uber pricey. $160 / month. My Doc says she doesn't think I need this as I have energy. But I want to take them as a precaution.

Also..waht about CoQ10? Dr. B recommends Researched Nutrionals, but I guess I need a Dr's note to buy. Same with NT-Factor. Any other brands?

--------------------
Bite date ?
2/10 symptoms began
5/10 dx'd, after 3 months numerous test and doctors

IgM Igenex +/CDC +
+ 23/25, 30, 31, 34, 41, 83/93

Currently on:

Currently at around 95% +/- most days.

Posts: 3134 | From Massachusetts | Registered: May 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seekhelp
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 15067

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seekhelp     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wouldn't take all Dr. B recommends as 'gold.' He's financially connected to one of these vitamin suppliers too!!
Posts: 7545 | From The 5th Dimension - The Twilight Zone | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sammy
Member # 13952

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sammy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like the MegaFood Essentials One Daily multivitamin. It is a whole food vitamin.

You can buy it online at places like iherb.com

Check it out here: http://www.iherb.com/Mega-Food-Essentials-One-Daily-90-Tablets/4032?at=0

It costs about $27 for 90 tablets (a 3month supply!)

Posts: 5237 | From here | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sammy
Member # 13952

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sammy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you are looking to buy CoQ10 consider buying Ubiquinol instead. As we age it becomes harder for the body to convert CoQ10 to it's active form Ubiquinol.

I like the Healthy Origins Brand Ubiquinol. This is what I purchase for my mother (she is on a statin and has family hx of heart disease).

Check it out here: http://www.iherb.com/Healthy-Origins-Ubiquinol-50-mg-60-Softgels/8211?at=0

Depending on your needs, you can purchase 50mg-200mg soft gels. iherb's price for a 2mo supply of the 50mg soft gels is only $14.80

I should also add that I do not work for iherb.com, I just buy some (not all!) of my supplements from them.

Posts: 5237 | From here | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ping
Member # 6974

Icon 13 posted      Profile for ping     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
None. They made me feel bad and now after TBD remission, still make me feel bad. Most multi's, IMO, are a rip-off. Unless they're "whole" vitamins, they contain vitamin "parts" and fillers which cause allergic reactions.

--------------------
ping
"We are more than containers for Lyme"

Posts: 1302 | From Back in TX again | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
None.

I do take CoQ10 for my heart and other supplements as well.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MDW005
Member # 22706

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MDW005     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Julian Whitaker... Forward Plus daily regimen

drwhitaker.com

--------------------
God's promises mean you always have something wonderful to look forward to.

Posts: 2150 | From Georgia | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lemon-Lyme
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19229

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lemon-Lyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'll ditto the iHerb recommendation as a place to buy your supplements.

As for multis, I like AOR's MultiBasics, at a partial dose daily. The new versions have replaced folic acid with methylfolate, which should be a little safer. And they are one of the few (if any) multi's to include MK-4 (albeit at small doses). Also includes natural mixed carotenes, tocotrienols, etc. at dietary doses.

It is expensive, but not insanely expensive like the LifePak multi mentioned above.

Posts: 584 | From NY | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
massman
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
sammy I took a look at those vitamins.

There are some parts in them that are definitely fake. There are some whole foods.

I recommend Catalyn + Trace Minerals B12 from Standard Process. Your doc can get them for you.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lemon-Lyme
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19229

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lemon-Lyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Question for Massman:

I notice you recommend the Standard Process vitamins sometimes, and am just curious as to why?

Looking at ingredients for the multi you recommend:

It includes bovine adrenal, bovine liver, bovine spleen and bovine kidney.

Why would someone want that in their multivitamin?

And although it claims it is from whole food sources, it also includes: ascorbic acid, cholecalciferol, pyridoxine hydrochloride, vitamin A palmitate, and riboflavin.

So, to me, it simply looks like a typical multi, with vitamins in synthetic form, with odd things like some food extracts + bovine body parts included. I'm against megadosing vitamins, and feel most multis are poorly formulated in general (and not everyone even needs one), but I'd like to understand the rationale behind this one.

[ 05-12-2010, 03:24 PM: Message edited by: Lemon-Lyme ]

Posts: 584 | From NY | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MDW005
Member # 22706

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MDW005     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lemon-lyme... The multi's that I take are supposed to be very good. Dr whitaker's.

Can you see if they are what they are supposed to be? They are costly and hope I am not wasting my money.

--------------------
God's promises mean you always have something wonderful to look forward to.

Posts: 2150 | From Georgia | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lemon-Lyme
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19229

quote:
Originally posted by MDW005:
Lemon-lyme... The multi's that I take are supposed to be very good. Dr whitaker's.

Can you see if they are what they are supposed to be? They are costly and hope I am not wasting my money.

It appears overly expensive to me. If you wish to take it, I also suggest take a partial dose (1/3-1/2 dose daily). It's higher in E than I like (200 IU) and includes megadoses of Bs (1000+% of RDA) which I also dislike. It also has a lot of calcium, which is fine if you need calcium -- but if not, then it's just too much.

It does have Gamma E and some tocotrienols, so that's a plus.

But the phytonutrients in my opinion are a waste, as the doses are too small to matter anyway. Just eat berries and get tomatoes from diet instead. If you want cinnamon + fish oil, just take those separately.

lymeinhell
Member # 4622

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymeinhell     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is what I've been taking for about 6 years now

http://www.bodywise.com/corporate/BW/shopc/product.php?sku=102e

I like that it's got the complementary bed time multi as well - really helps with sleep.

--------------------
Julie
_ _ ___ _ _
lymeinhell

Blessed are those who expect nothing, for they shall not be disappointed.

Posts: 2258 | From a better place than I was 11 yrs ago | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sammy
Member # 13952

Thanks massman. It's been awhile since I looked at the multivitamin content list. I used this brand in the past, switched to another cheaper one that I didn't like and switched back to this. I thought it was all derived from foods. Bummer.
randibear
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 11290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for randibear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
can you take ubiguinol with coq10?

--------------------
do not look back when the only course is forward

Posts: 12262 | From texas | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
massman
Unregistered

Lemon-lyme - not sure on some of your questions.

I think listing vit C a company may have to have ascorbic acid to legally call it C.

Not sure if they are listing them so the public will recognize them or not.
I am pretty sure that you could call them + get better eplanations than mine.

If you do call could you post what they tell you + if it makes sense to you ? Thanks.

Lemon-Lyme
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19229

Well, what I was asking is: why is the Standard process multi any different than any other multi?
Besides the fact it includes bovine organ parts, that is -- and small amounts of vitamins.

Those vitamins listed: ascorbic acid, riboflavin, etc, are listed under ingredients. Meaning, they add those to the product. They aren't derived from food extracts or organs.

Since they are simply added synthetic vitamins, like every other vitamin maker uses, what advantage does this multi really have?

randibear
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 11290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for randibear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i use "alive" and get it at iherb.

--------------------
do not look back when the only course is forward

Posts: 12262 | From texas | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sick Tick
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 23003

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sick Tick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My LL PA recommended Nordic Berries....from Nordic Naturals. They are children's supplements....and very tasty little gum-drop sorta things. I love them!
Posts: 283 | From where the ticks are! | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ott70
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18237

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ott70     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I take a whole food multi by New Chapter. I haven't looked at the ingredients lately, so I'm not sure where they rank against the MegaFood brand, which I think I used to take.

http://www.newchapter.com/product-categories/whole-food-multis

Posts: 194 | From Colorado | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lemon-Lyme
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19229

New Chapter Whole food is pretty much the same thing as Megafood's multi.

All they do is feed vitamins to yeast, dry it, turn it into a tablet and put pictures of berries and fruit on the packaging. And include minuscule amounts of food extracts which really have little impact regarding health.

If they are stomach friendly for you and you like them, there isn't anything necessarily wrong it. Just, don't assume they are the same as real food -- very little difference between it and some common multivitamins.

Lemon-Lyme
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19229

quote:
Originally posted by randibear:
can you take ubiguinol with coq10?

Yeah, but I'm not entirely sure I see a point to taking both.

Best way to figure out which to take probably is to get your blood levels measured, then just pick whatever is most cost effective to reach whatever serum level you want.

For those with heart issues (heart failure, etc), >2.5 serum is generally recommended.

massman
Unregistered

uhhh...lemon, I can read.

Why dont you call them + ask them ?

www.standardprocess.com

Lemon-Lyme
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19229

Because my question was for you?

You recommended it, so was curious what your reason was. I thought maybe I missed some detail or benefit regarding its ingredients. But based on its ingredients, all I see are weird cow parts and regular vitamins added.

massman
Unregistered

Weird cow parts?

RNA / DNA factors of specific animal organs ?

Perhaps for specific reasons ?

Hmmmmm...?

Call 'em...ask 'em... can't be that tough ? [bonk]

Lemon-Lyme
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19229

Sorry, my mistake thinking you wanted to be helpful and discuss why you felt this particular multi was beneficial.
springshowers
Member # 19863

Icon 1 posted      Profile for springshowers     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://www.arltma.com/Catalog.htm

I take Megapan by Endo Met Laboratories.

Posts: 2747 | From Unites States Of America | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
massman
Unregistered

Lemon I DO NOT KNOW.

How can I discuss something if I DO NOT KNOW ?

THAT is why I suggested you call.

Lemon-Lyme
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19229

quote:
Originally posted by massman:
Lemon I DO NOT KNOW.

How can I discuss something if I DO NOT KNOW ?

THAT is why I suggested you call.

I assumed you knew why you recommended the multi, since you... well... recommended it?

And I did call. Twice.

First time, I was put on hold, waited forever, and eventually hung up.

Second time, I got a support person, but when I said I was a private individual inquiring about a product (they ask if you are a doctor, patient, etc), she said she couldn't provide me with any answers regarding their own product. Any product questions would have to be answered by a health care provider only -- one who sells their products.

So... calling actually is tough. And any company that won't answer consumer questions is automatically shady in my opinion.

blinkie
Member # 14470

Icon 1 posted      Profile for blinkie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I use Irwin Naturals. They contain herbs, and other alternative stuff as like licorice and other stuff I can't think of right now as well as vitamins and minerals and they are gel caps. Only $20 a month at my health food store.

Only problem is, they are big as horse pills and you have to take three a day.

Posts: 1104 | From N.California | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
massman
Unregistered

I agree that not answering public questions is pretty poor - the public is the ultimate consumer.

I have never got hung up on, though.

Will explore further. When I first started using nutrition in practice SP was the best a friend + I found.

massman
Unregistered

Llyme - how come you did not call a local provider that they would have given you the number for ?

I did talk to an OH rep for SP that I used to deal with a lot. I first called SP in Palmyra WI and they suggestes talking to the rep I already knew + if I did not get good enough answers then call the main office back.

So anyway, in some cases it is legal CYA. The FDA requires ascorbic acid in something to legally call it Vitamin C. Other "parts" listed are actually in foods and the parts can be isolated if some knucklehead wants to.

I say knucklehead as "scientists" when they study foods, supplements think they find the "active ingredient" that they think does the work. All the other naturally occurring factors + what I would call cofactors are said to do nothing, nada.

Not just my opinion as I have talked with people at the Linus Pauling Institute who told me that.

So I ask why are all those cofactors always there ? Since I never get an answer that makes sense that annoys me. Did God have nothing else to do the day he designed Vit. C ? Is that why all those parts are there ? Being goofy because he had nothing else to do that day ?

Never get good answers to that question either.

I have repeatedly suggested a book "The Real Truth About Vitamins and Antioxidants" by Judith DeCava. You may be able to contact a local DC, MD or ND that uses SP and ask them to get you or loan you a copy of that. To me a dry write but great info.

Sounds like you research + know a lot so you may appreciate it.

massman
Unregistered

Please tell me if you think I am not clear enough on the above post. I did ramble a bit.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement